Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it worth starting this game again?

Comments

• heider89heider89 Member UncommonPosts: 159
    give it a try :)
  • DeasantDeasant Member UncommonPosts: 198
    Archlyte said:
    Deasant said:

Painlezz said:
     It doesn't really feel like Starwars to me.  You aren't flying between galaxies or otherwise... You're sitting at loading screens.
    Actually an instanced game with the occasional few minutes of space battle and load screens between scene transitions feels EXACTLY like Star Wars.

Star Wars, the movies, they transition in exactly that manner. One minute your watching a scene on one planet, the next frame or after an editorial transition you are then watching another planet or a space actions scene.

I would say Star Wars fits PERFECTLY with the experience of an instanced game.

Even if you look at it scientifically. In the movies, we aren't missing anything. It's not like they are on a ship "traveling" for any length of time as thought of in the traditional sense. No one person will ever just "fly between galaxies or otherwise". Intergalactic travel REQUIRES FTL travel or wormhole style traversal of space time. Even for those in the ship the few seconds/minutes/hours/days of FTL travel would be completely disorienting. No one is walking around on the ship or in the cantina like on Star Trek where the captain willy nilly utilizes the warp drive without a single warning to all the passengers aboard. This is of course based on our current understanding of physics, which is what I base  my comparisons on, not based on what may come. 
    Running from room to room in your house will give you the same experience and that is not EXACTLY like Star Wars now is it? A game that is designed directly like a Star Wars movie would suck, because the things that work in a movie do not work in a game that you will be playing for more than 2 hours. SWTOR is not like Star Wars at all. 

Star Wars carries an amazing amount of weight of supposition from the moment a new viewer begins to watch it on the screen, SWTOR is more like a big nothing, because you can't eek enough horsepower from the average imagination to convince yourself that the lack of things to do is somehow indicative of a living and breathing universe. No, everything in SWTOR is done with the minimal amount of detail and interaction. The world in SWTOR is a lobby for the instances, and of course the instances don't interface with the world so they don't mean anything. In the movies, when something happens it has an effect on the story and the world that contains the story, the SWTOR software has no such continuity. To make a SWTOR-like movie we would watch Luke Skywalker go into a dungeon and beat the bad guy, pop out onto the fleet, and go do it again. Luke would then enter the PvP starfighter instance, or he would fly his ship from the outside for 2:55 seconds. At no time would anything change in the world, as a matter of fact when it comes to SWTOR, it's always sunny on Tattooine. I mean always.

A physics discussion doesn't belong any where near Star Wars. SW is more like a fantasy, and has not one toe based in any kind of feasible physics. There is a reason that Star Wars is a part of the culture of the planet, whereas SWTOR is just leeching off of it while doing nothing significant for the genre. 

You completely missed my point. It went way over your head. If you're going to quote me as if to carry on a discussion with me, it helps if you actually grasp what I'm saying.
  • BitripBitrip Member UncommonPosts: 279
    I would've never stopped playing SWTOR if I could've just paid like $100 for the rest of the DLC for 2 years or something. I initially purchased the game and had no problem subbing, until it went F2P.

Now, which one of you will adorn me today?

• LugorsLugors Member UncommonPosts: 184

I too recently had the unexplained bug to get back to this game.  If you haven’t done the latest xpac content, I would say it’s worth it.  All the problems of the original game still exist, and if you can’t overlook them stay away.  Also, if you are a completionist, stay away since each zone as at least one piece of 4 person content that you can not do at level. Playing with 12x story xp makes it bearable for the original game if you do the story, the planet questline and skip everything else.

The 3 new planets that came with Shadows of Revan are fairly good, and show that EA at least learned something in the artwork and pacing departments.

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,703
    I've occasionally felt like returning to SW:TOR (as I'm as SW fan and my guild is still there), but as SW:TOR is the game that made me quit MMOs I always check in to see what features have been improved. 

according to my guild, basically none of the underlying problems with sw:tor have ever been fixed. The one and only thing they said got better is that raids got slightly harder. Many people say they love the sw:tor storylines, but I've always found them really tedious personally, just too much generic speech and quests for me to care. Even the class storylines weren't that great imo. 

Main things that bothered me about sw:tor:
    • Too easy combat
    • Generic classes (look different but all play the same)
    • World PvP broken
    • Horrible leveling process (though, 12x xp fixes this)
    • Ridiculous stat inflation at endgame
    The only thing that ever really kept me going was pre-made pvp, but with the limited number of maps I eventually had to quit. 

I think if I didn't care about the game mechanics and lowered my expectations about the storyline then it would be enjoyable to just level up each of the classes via the main questline, but my focus has always been endgame and sw:tor just fails at endgame. 
  • Tasslehoff35Tasslehoff35 Member UncommonPosts: 962
    edited September 2015
    I've occasionally felt like returning to SW:TOR (as I'm as SW fan and my guild is still there), but as SW:TOR is the game that made me quit MMOs I always check in to see what features have been improved. 

according to my guild, basically none of the underlying problems with sw:tor have ever been fixed. The one and only thing they said got better is that raids got slightly harder. Many people say they love the sw:tor storylines, but I've always found them really tedious personally, just too much generic speech and quests for me to care. Even the class storylines weren't that great imo. 

Main things that bothered me about sw:tor:
    • Too easy combat
    • Generic classes (look different but all play the same)
    • World PvP broken
    • Horrible leveling process (though, 12x xp fixes this)
    • Ridiculous stat inflation at endgame
    The only thing that ever really kept me going was pre-made pvp, but with the limited number of maps I eventually had to quit. 

I think if I didn't care about the game mechanics and lowered my expectations about the storyline then it would be enjoyable to just level up each of the classes via the main questline, but my focus has always been endgame and sw:tor just fails at endgame. 
    Well I would have to say your guild (that is still there apparently ) is either lying to you, doesn't want you back or doesn't exist. Let me walk you through the actual facts.----------------------------    1) too easy combat? Are you talking about leveling up? Well that was address in 3.0 once 3.0 was released the forums were littered with post about how combat is "too hard now" --------2) yeah sorry my soc healers doesn't play anything like my merc BH. Imp agent nothing like my marauders...nice try though...------------------  3) they never said world pvp would be a priority they have actually said the opposite. This QQ would be like going to a fancy steak house and QQing they don't serve breakfast during the dinner rush. You want world pvp go play a game that focused on that. Don't QQ about a game that doesn't. ----------------------------------------------------4) I don't know if another game that players are so alt heavy and this was prior to the 12xp boost. A lot of players enjoyed to leveling and now with 12xp a lot of people are asking how to turn it off (which you can) again because a lot of people enjoy it.----------------------------------------------------  5) Stat inflation see #1 ---------------------------------6) raids (those who actually play swtor calls them ops) are slightly harder? Less than 10% of all guilds have completed both new ops on HM even less have completed the ops world boss to get the 204 main hand. -------------------------------So again your guild is either lying, don't want you back or doesn't exist. As everything you said was just proven false.  Sorry for the wall of text page break won't work on my phone....
  • CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533
    I was thinking about just buying 5 dollars worth of currency and playing with preferred status. 

Is this a good way for a casual person who just wants to kind of play through the story to go about it?  With preferred status will I be limited in annoying ways?  What can I expect? 
  • BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    When I get bored two game's I tend to return too is LOTRO and SWTOR. When the new expansion hits I will once again return to SWTOR. What I have read the game may actually be even better and worth coming back too. One thing I think I read some place (maybe this site) is with new expansion they are leaning back to the full sub option, but I could of misread that. If someone could update me on that please.  
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    edited October 2015
    Corehaven said:
    I was thinking about just buying 5 dollars worth of currency and playing with preferred status. 

Is this a good way for a casual person who just wants to kind of play through the story to go about it?  With preferred status will I be limited in annoying ways?  What can I expect? 
    In my opinion, you are just better off subbing to SWTOR.  Their f2p model is more like a trial than anything else.  Having preferred status will alleviate some of the restrictions.  However, being a f2p'er as you play the game you will be introduced to many features that will either be restricted partially or fully unless you spend money.  By no means am I saying these are features that should be free.  It's just that EA is learning very well on how to dangle the carrot on the stick in regards to getting people to sub. 

So is the game worth a sub or not?  If you never played it before or if you really enjoy themeparks that are modeled similar to WoW then yes.  I won't say why it's not because those reasons can vary so much from person to person and is for you to decide AFTER you at least try the game if you haven't already.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• KatillaKatilla Member UncommonPosts: 829
    if you sub by the 19th you get a speeder, then when the new expansion hits, you get it for free.  I subbed the other day, but there's no point in leveling until after the expansion hits with all the changes.  Take this time to transfer your characters to another server if you want , while the 90% off sale is still going on.
  • MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    edited October 2015
    If youre new account you can use this for 30 days sub

http://www.kinguin.net/category/117/star-wars-the-old-republic-ea-origin-key-30-days-included/

Along with clicking someoens referral link for extra 7 days of sub *pick me pick me* (before you use the key, or if you dont want key before you sub)

And yes, sub before 19th for free speeder along with 2 DLCs, ROTHC and SoR and youll get first 9 chapters of KOTFE.
  • Squadron24Squadron24 Member UncommonPosts: 121
    How about these buddy codes, do I get free sub week? My sub lapsed but I might come back
    Enlist and reserve your name for Star Citizen/Squadron 42 with my referral link and get 5,000 free game credits   https://robertsspaceindustries.com/enlist?referral=STAR-RRVV-M5TH   (gives free stuff to both of us!)  B) 
  • NobleNerdNobleNerd Member UncommonPosts: 759
    I reinstalled it a while back. Played for about 1-2 hours and remembered why I stopped. As f2p they will nickel and dime you over the most mundane features, like.... action bar unlocks.... yes seriously.

Also ran into the hitching and rubberbanding. No improvement on game performance since launch was a big "no sale" for me. 

NobleNerd said:
    I reinstalled it a while back. Played for about 1-2 hours and remembered why I stopped. As f2p they will nickel and dime you over the most mundane features, like.... action bar unlocks.... yes seriously.

Also ran into the hitching and rubberbanding. No improvement on game performance since launch was a big "no sale" for me. 
    Yep F2P model isn't the best, but to really experience the game sub is only way to go. Well worth it and even more so now when the new expansion hits.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    I returned and had a blast.  I subbed.  I would still be playing if it wasn't for the lag spikes.  I don't get those in any other game.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I had quite a bi of fun playing each class to 20 then after that i was bored stiff.I went back and tried to replay those same classes and could not even play for more than an hour,it is just too repetitive and combat is not even good.You never take  a break from a linear path of questing and that removes it from being YOUR game,instead becomes the same game paths as everyone else.

Biggest peeve i had was how you can see one player walk into an area but you cant because it is red,it looks fake and creates bad immersion.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Rictis said:
    Rictis said:
    Rictis said:
    Gdemami said:
    Rictis said:
    I am actually a preferred member, it limits me to 2 hotbars without an active subscription, I confirmed this last night. There are other F2P games that do not limit you're overall gameplay. Aion and Tera don't limit you in such a way. SWTOR has a bad F2P system compared to other games.  I can complain about whatever I want, thank you very much.
    I figured out your problem...
    So tell me what it is, because I only have access to two hotbars.
    Ok I'll play along?  When was the last time you played?  Because if you didn't have access to the bars the wouldn't be "greyed out" there is nothing in swtor that "Greys out action bars" or abilities.  

I'd recommend going to your trainer and filling out your skill tree.  
    When I logged in I never went to a trainer, but my hot bars were greyed out. I assumed that I had lost access to them when my subscription ended. It left me in pref status but it wouldn't let me add them through the interface option. How would the trainer fix that though?
    Because during the last xpac they all got reset and a new skill tree replaced the old one.  No worries all training is free now.  If you didn't have access to four you wouldn't be able to put four on the screen.  

Assuming and then coming to a forum attempting to bash something you didn't understand is silly.   
    However I have already purchased and subbed to the game and was a pref status member. I should technically have access to 4 hotbars not only two. However I am locked to two, I am bashing the game because it limits you're hotbars which I don't agree with. I can bash the game for its limitations as much as I want because this is a forum. Comparing it to other F2P games I think this a bad F2P restriction. Anyway I won't argue with you over my opinion to not support its system. Good luck.
    Did you try going into the interface editor and adding the quickbars? It sounds like you're suffering from some kind of glitch, since you really should have four as a pref account.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    Deasant said:
    Archlyte said:
    Deasant said:

Painlezz said:
     It doesn't really feel like Starwars to me.  You aren't flying between galaxies or otherwise... You're sitting at loading screens.
    Actually an instanced game with the occasional few minutes of space battle and load screens between scene transitions feels EXACTLY like Star Wars.

Star Wars, the movies, they transition in exactly that manner. One minute your watching a scene on one planet, the next frame or after an editorial transition you are then watching another planet or a space actions scene.

I would say Star Wars fits PERFECTLY with the experience of an instanced game.

Even if you look at it scientifically. In the movies, we aren't missing anything. It's not like they are on a ship "traveling" for any length of time as thought of in the traditional sense. No one person will ever just "fly between galaxies or otherwise". Intergalactic travel REQUIRES FTL travel or wormhole style traversal of space time. Even for those in the ship the few seconds/minutes/hours/days of FTL travel would be completely disorienting. No one is walking around on the ship or in the cantina like on Star Trek where the captain willy nilly utilizes the warp drive without a single warning to all the passengers aboard. This is of course based on our current understanding of physics, which is what I base  my comparisons on, not based on what may come. 
    Running from room to room in your house will give you the same experience and that is not EXACTLY like Star Wars now is it? A game that is designed directly like a Star Wars movie would suck, because the things that work in a movie do not work in a game that you will be playing for more than 2 hours. SWTOR is not like Star Wars at all. 

Star Wars carries an amazing amount of weight of supposition from the moment a new viewer begins to watch it on the screen, SWTOR is more like a big nothing, because you can't eek enough horsepower from the average imagination to convince yourself that the lack of things to do is somehow indicative of a living and breathing universe. No, everything in SWTOR is done with the minimal amount of detail and interaction. The world in SWTOR is a lobby for the instances, and of course the instances don't interface with the world so they don't mean anything. In the movies, when something happens it has an effect on the story and the world that contains the story, the SWTOR software has no such continuity. To make a SWTOR-like movie we would watch Luke Skywalker go into a dungeon and beat the bad guy, pop out onto the fleet, and go do it again. Luke would then enter the PvP starfighter instance, or he would fly his ship from the outside for 2:55 seconds. At no time would anything change in the world, as a matter of fact when it comes to SWTOR, it's always sunny on Tattooine. I mean always.

A physics discussion doesn't belong any where near Star Wars. SW is more like a fantasy, and has not one toe based in any kind of feasible physics. There is a reason that Star Wars is a part of the culture of the planet, whereas SWTOR is just leeching off of it while doing nothing significant for the genre. 

You completely missed my point. It went way over your head. If you're going to quote me as if to carry on a discussion with me, it helps if you actually grasp what I'm saying.
    I can only go off of what you wrote, and the premise that you put forward is wrong in my opinion. It's apples to oranges to pears. You cannot make a game like the movie and have a playable game, therefore you have to do something different to have a playable game. The design decision as you seem to suggest is: Make a game as close to the movie as possible including fast movement through the frame, short cinematic scenes, minimal exposition (if you are using the original movies), lots of music, and a storyline.

None of those things will result in a game that has long-term playability as the whole design is about an effort to make a playable movie. 

Furthermore, instead of basing the game in an actual Star Wars setting, they went way off the reservation to an obscure past setting that really should have nothing in common with the original era given the span of time between the OR and the movie era. So the SWTOR game finds itself compromised by the desire of fans to see actual star wars icons but the time frame is unbelievably far off to support analogues of the things seen in the movies. Even granting a technological plateau, the design of the SWTOR universe seems to have been accomplished on the idea of taking existing SW stuff and making it stupidly huge. 

As for the narrative in SWTOR, it is immovable and impersonal. The game relies on you being spoon-fed your choices and actions along a linear path. Picture a tree with its branches going up and then picture another tree connecting to it inverted so that at the top you have the trunk again. That is the design of the stories in SWTOR. There is no room for your character to actually do anything in the SWTOR world because it would mess up the linear story for anyone else, so they instance an compartment the world. 

Again SWTOR is not about being in the Star Wars universe, it's about being in the same movie over and over again. Even as much as I love Star Wars, that bored me pretty quick. 
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    edited October 2015
    How about these buddy codes, do I get free sub week? My sub lapsed but I might come back
    Try clicking one. You have to be unsubbed for minimum 90 days, and apparenly, to get extra 7 days you need to sub first (after clicking someone link). Anyways, no harm in trying.

If it works without subbing you should get 7 days pretty much immediately.
  • ShodanasShodanas Member RarePosts: 1,933
    edited October 2015
    Hitokirix said:
    I played at release and had a level 31 bounty hunter. I enjoyed it I just remember it got a bit tedious and never did get to the level cap. I have no idea what the end game is like in this game but I remember the pvp being fun.  Is it worth starting back up this late in the game?  I know there's a new expansion coming and the trailer for it looks amazing.  I'm rebuilding my gaming rig this week and looking for an mmo to fire up.  Any comments, positive or negative, about the state of the game would be much appreciated.
    My opinion is obviously biased since i am a day 1 subscriber and a fan in general but..

You could try and approach SWTOR as a single player experience and it will return you plenty of quality. A number of classes have top notch story writing and with the game nowadays being very solo friendly you could get dozens of hours out of it. I'm not saying that the group content isn't good, far from it. However, experiencing the class story lines in a relaxed manner is a good way to start and enjoy TOR. A number of people i know of began this way and are now subscribers.

Give it a try.
    Just try it out with a free 7 day subscription, just click link in sig.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    I stopped playing after 3.0 when they broke the Sent/ Mara... Admittedly it needed some nerfing, but they broke the class pretty badly. Not sure if they ever fixed the balance, but I chose not to wait for them to figure out what they needed to do.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I'll probably wait to see how the new expansion goes.  The changes they're making sound good but I want to see what happens after the hype.  That said I do return to play the game from time to time especially for the story.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Rictis said:
    I am actually a preferred member, it limits me to 2 hotbars without an active subscription, I confirmed this last night. There are other F2P games that do not limit you're overall gameplay. Aion and Tera don't limit you in such a way. SWTOR has a bad F2P system compared to other games.  I can complain about whatever I want, thank you very much.
    You can complain about what you want....but don't lie.  I can confirm you are lying by this link...if you don't want to be called out for lying I suggest you don't complain about things that aren't true.  

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=5477407

Specifically in gold writing...

"This is why, after an upcoming patch that is scheduled for next week, Preferred Status Players will be given two additional Quickbars (for a total of four) that will immediately improve their gameplay experience."

Yeah you called him out. But its still a joke of a F2P model compared to other models. And the only reason they get away with it is because its Star Wars. Even preferred membership is just i a little better than F2P. You can't even ask questions about the game as a new player on the boards unless you sub. Fanboys can defend it all they want but its joke of a model. The only true way to play this game is to sub. They should just drop the F2P since they don't really want it at all.
  • ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    Hariken said:
    Rictis said:
    You can complain about what you want....but don't lie.  I can confirm you are lying by this link...if you don't want to be called out for lying I suggest you don't complain about things that aren't true.  

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=5477407

Specifically in gold writing...

"This is why, after an upcoming patch that is scheduled for next week, Preferred Status Players will be given two additional Quickbars (for a total of four) that will immediately improve their gameplay experience."

Yeah you called him out. But its still a joke of a F2P model compared to other models. And the only reason they get away with it is because its Star Wars. Even preferred membership is just i a little better than F2P. You can't even ask questions about the game as a new player on the boards unless you sub. Fanboys can defend it all they want but its joke of a model. The only true way to play this game is to sub. They should just drop the F2P since they don't really want it at all.
    Yeah if you are going to play it you should forgo a couple of Starbucks coffees and just sub the thing. After the trial of course
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures