Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it worth starting this game again?

Comments

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    edited August 2015
    Hitokirix said:
    Sounds good.  I might just load it up and create a new character for a while and decide that way.  Are the expansions free or do you have to buy them?  That was a little confusing on their website and unless you subscribe you can't create a post there.  The reven expansion shows as $20 but the next expansion I thought I saw it was free if you subscribe? 
    Currently Shadow of Revan costs $20, but it's getting included with the subscription in October when the expansion comes out.
    So you'll have to decide whether it's worth it for those two remaining months or not. There's also an Amazon deal where you can pretty much get it for free: http://www.amazon.com/SWTOR-Amazon-STAR-Bundle-Online/dp/B00T8NURF8

It costs $40 bucks and gets you two months of sub time, 2400 Cartel Coins and all the expansions:
    (From the site)

Overview/Pricing

• Bundle of base game, including the brand new Shadow of Revan story-driven expansion that takes you to Level 60 and includes the first game expansion, Rise of the Hutt Cartel.
    • Plus, this bundle pack includes 60-days of gametime and a 2400 Cartel Coins pack to ensure you start with all the gear and equipment you need to get off to a fast start.
    • All in one bundle at the rate of $39.99 a value of 40% off the retail price of each separately.

Also, yep - starting a new character's a good way to go when you're returning after a long absence!

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• gurugeorgegurugeorge Member UncommonPosts: 481
    edited August 2015
    It's kind of sad about this game, because the two areas it promised to be good in, it actually was good in - class storylines and the innovation of group dialogues.   Both those are good, and I think group dialogues are a genuinely worthwhile innovation in the genre (I remember missing them terribly when I moved from SWTOR to the much better all-round TSW at the time).

The problem is that the MMO built around those two aspects - the social game - is mediocre - not utterly crap, but mediocre, and that's not good enough these days in such a competitive market.

So I think if you do the premium sub thing, and get the extra xp to breeze through the stories it probably is worth it, but it's not worth it as an MMO to live in for a while, unless you happen to just really like its style (which you might, you never know).
  • DisasterStarDisasterStar Member UncommonPosts: 4
    The game is boring and was never entertaining to begin with. Don't give me that look, it's not like the first GW series was any better.
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    This is really a fantastic MMO if you just accept it for what it is and not have any unrealistic expectations of being wow in star wars universe like i did back when this game launched... I now approach swtor for what it is a fantastic story driven MMO that is extremely friendly to casuals who enjoy solo play and light grouping... Im planning on returning this weekend to my lvl 38 jedi and capping him. 
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    thunderC said:
    This is really a fantastic MMO if you just accept it for what it is and not have any unrealistic expectations of being wow in star wars universe like i did back when this game launched... I now approach swtor for what it is a fantastic story driven MMO that is extremely friendly to casuals who enjoy solo play and light grouping... Im planning on returning this weekend to my lvl 38 jedi and capping him. 
    This game is a tent that is listed in the housing section. You are right that for light, casual play it is a pleasant diversion, but it lacks any real staying power for MMORPG enthusiasts as a main game. 
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Archlyte said:
    thunderC said:
    This game is a tent that is listed in the housing section. You are right that for light, casual play it is a pleasant diversion, but it lacks any real staying power for MMORPG enthusiasts as a main game. 
    A tent in the housing section is a bit harsh lol but i  like the way you put it as far as "pleasant diversion" which is exactly what it is for me. Basically when i get sick of Final Fantasy  WOW or whatever im playing i find myself turning to swtor for some casual goodness.
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• Tasslehoff35Tasslehoff35 Member UncommonPosts: 962
    Archlyte said:
    thunderC said:
    Man you really need to give it up...Sorry SWTOR is still one of the top Western MMORPGS out today.  FOUR YEARS AFTER RELEASE?  And you think it doesnt have any staying power?  HAHA it has enough staying power to have desperate sad haters like you spam sites like this anytime a thread mentions SWTOR.  

Dude give it a rest, you dont play SWTOR you have ZERO knowledge of SWTOR and your FOUR YEAR OLD spreadsheet full of talking points you copy/paste on every SWTOR thread is outdated.  

Go find something you enjoy because you just look like a fool spamming  a VIDEO GAME YOU DONT PLAY.

Please post a link where "SWTOR lacks any real staying power for MMORPG enthusiasts as a main game"

Another fun fact you will not understand because again you are ignorant towards SWTOR is that the same guilds since conquest were released are on top of the leader board week after week, again this points to your ignorant comment about staying power.   
  • JeleenaJeleena Member UncommonPosts: 172
    thunderC said:
    Archlyte said:
    thunderC said:
    A tent in the housing section is a bit harsh lol but i  like the way you put it as far as "pleasant diversion" which is exactly what it is for me. Basically when i get sick of Final Fantasy  WOW or whatever im playing i find myself turning to swtor for some casual goodness.
    This is how I play it. Been really bored with WOW so let my sub slide, and I don't have much time to game atm. SWTOR fills the void plus I like housing in my MMO....
  • RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    My major concern with this game F2P offering is that they limit a ton of stuff unless you subscribe. one of my issues is that they limit you to 2 hotbars for you're character which I find utterly ridiculous. 
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Rictis said:
    My major concern with this game F2P offering is that they limit a ton of stuff unless you subscribe. one of my issues is that they limit you to 2 hotbars for you're character which I find utterly ridiculous. 
    So you find "utterly ridiculous" that the game isn't providing you everything you desire for free...?
    Rictis said:
    Such a poor complaint.  What level did you get to where you needed more than two bars to play f2p?  Or how about you spend $4.99 and become a preferred member and get four bars?  It's ridiculous to complain about the f2p in swtor when giving up a Big Mac and fries for a day gets you preferred. 
    I am actually a preferred member, it limits me to 2 hotbars without an active subscription, I confirmed this last night. There are other F2P games that do not limit you're overall gameplay. Aion and Tera don't limit you in such a way. SWTOR has a bad F2P system compared to other games.  I can complain about whatever I want, thank you very much.
    edited August 2015
    Rictis said:
    I am actually a preferred member, it limits me to 2 hotbars without an active subscription, I confirmed this last night. There are other F2P games that do not limit you're overall gameplay. Aion and Tera don't limit you in such a way. SWTOR has a bad F2P system compared to other games.  I can complain about whatever I want, thank you very much.
    You can complain about what you want....but don't lie.  I can confirm you are lying by this link...if you don't want to be called out for lying I suggest you don't complain about things that aren't true.  

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?p=5477407

Specifically in gold writing...

"This is why, after an upcoming patch that is scheduled for next week, Preferred Status Players will be given two additional Quickbars (for a total of four) that will immediately improve their gameplay experience."

Rictis said:
    You can complain about what you want....but don't lie.  I can confirm you are lying by this link...if you don't want to be called out for lying I suggest you don't complain about things that aren't true.  

"This is why, after an upcoming patch that is scheduled for next week, Preferred Status Players will be given two additional Quickbars (for a total of four) that will immediately improve their gameplay experience."

I signed on last night and had access to only 2 quick bars and am at preferred status. I have several 30+ and 40+ characters. I am not lying, the game would not let me access more than 2, the other bars I had shortcuts to were un responsive and greyed out. You can send me as many links as you want my friend but it won't change what happened to me last night. 
    edited August 2015
    Rictis said:
    Rictis said:

I signed on last night and had access to only 2 quick bars and am at preferred status. I have several 30+ and 40+ characters. I am not lying, the game would not let me access more than 2, the other bars I had shortcuts to were un responsive and greyed out. You can send me as many links as you want my friend but it won't change what happened to me last night. 
    Well my friend you can keep lying or telling your sad story the truth is Preferred get FOUR BARS end of story.

Now move along nothing to see here. 
    Rictis said:
    I figured out your problem...
    Gdemami said:
    Rictis said:
    So tell me what it is, because I only have access to two hotbars.
    Rictis said:
    It's you...
    Listen I don't appreciate being called a liar. If you want to defend this game go for it, but I am  telling you the truth. I am locked to only two hotbars. Gold letters or not.
    Gdemami said:
    Rictis said:
    It's you...
    Lol 
    Rictis said:
    Gdemami said:
    Rictis said:
    Ok I'll play along?  When was the last time you played?  Because if you didn't have access to the bars the wouldn't be "greyed out" there is nothing in swtor that "Greys out action bars" or abilities.  

I'd recommend going to your trainer and filling out your skill tree.  
    Rictis said:
    Gdemami said:
    Rictis said:
    Ok I'll play along?  When was the last time you played?  Because if you didn't have access to the bars the wouldn't be "greyed out" there is nothing in swtor that "Greys out action bars" or abilities.  

When I logged in I never went to a trainer, but my hot bars were greyed out. I assumed that I had lost access to them when my subscription ended. It left me in pref status but it wouldn't let me add them through the interface option. How would the trainer fix that though?
    Maybe it locked me out because I logged in for the first time after the talent and skill remapping they did? Not sure why that would cause it though.
    Rictis said:
    Rictis said:
    Gdemami said:
    Rictis said:

When I logged in I never went to a trainer, but my hot bars were greyed out. I assumed that I had lost access to them when my subscription ended. It left me in pref status but it wouldn't let me add them through the interface option. How would the trainer fix that though?
    Because during the last xpac they all got reset and a new skill tree replaced the old one.  No worries all training is free now.  If you didn't have access to four you wouldn't be able to put four on the screen.  

Assuming and then coming to a forum attempting to bash something you didn't understand is silly.   
    Rictis said:
    Rictis said:
    Gdemami said:
    Rictis said:

Because during the last xpac they all got reset and a new skill tree replaced the old one.  No worries all training is free now.  If you didn't have access to four you wouldn't be able to put four on the screen.  

Assuming and then coming to a forum attempting to bash something you didn't understand is silly.   
    However I have already purchased and subbed to the game and was a pref status member. I should technically have access to 4 hotbars not only two. However I am locked to two, I am bashing the game because it limits you're hotbars which I don't agree with. I can bash the game for its limitations as much as I want because this is a forum. Comparing it to other F2P games I think this a bad F2P restriction. Anyway I won't argue with you over my opinion to not support its system. Good luck.