Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Quick Gw2 Review after 1-15 F2P.

Comments

• Asch126Asch126 Member RarePosts: 543
    Trust me, unless you're with people who know what they're doing, don't do dungeons right when you access them.

The songs.....ehh, some of them aren't that good. Maybe the Grove and Holbrak are the ones that are truly good, but Fear Not This Night [which unfortunately you won't hear pretty much the end of the core game] is quite good.

The heart system is not only kinda boring and bland, but it's far more fun to get your ass to Edge of the Mists [aka pvp], follow the zerg and not only get levels from the fighting, but get free tomes that give you an entire level instantly.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

quests and story are pretty boring

I recently revisited GW2 and I always roll a char similar to my main when I return to an MMO after being away a while - a refresher course of sorts. 

I'm not sure what their goal was with the changes to the Norn starting area, but they stripped out not just story but also context to half of what was there. Now it's just a collection of collection quests that are losely connected, if at all. It was... a less than stellar experience. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• PalaPala Member UncommonPosts: 356
    edited August 2015
    VIdeo games, Sports games, Marble collecting, watching your favorite TV show, sitting at the Bar drinking,...

All Repetitive!!!!
    You are avoiding what I am saying on purpose, video games that I play I care about characters or the challenge or progressing my character, sports games I like to challenge myself and build up my team, my marble collection is so unique and personal,  my favorite TV show is creative, mysterious and engages me, sitting at the bar is a perfect 3D experience, very immersive with great graphics, gameplay and the social aspect rocks.

MMOs you are describing have none of the above, well some have good graphics, I ll give you that
  • Asch126Asch126 Member RarePosts: 543
    Loktofeit said:

quests and story are pretty boring

I recently revisited GW2 and I always roll a char similar to my main when I return to an MMO after being away a while - a refresher course of sorts. 

I'm not sure what their goal was with the changes to the Norn starting area, but they stripped out not just story but also context to half of what was there. Now it's just a collection of collection quests that are losely connected, if at all. It was... a less than stellar experience. 
    They stripped out quite a few story missions. They ended up re-adding a few, but some of the very important ones [AKA almost anything involving YOU and not the Pact or Trehearne] were taken away.
  • StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,779
    Pala said:
    VIdeo games, Sports games, Marble collecting, watching your favorite TV show, sitting at the Bar drinking,...

All Repetitive!!!!
    You are avoiding what I am saying on purpose, video games that I play I care about characters or the challenge or progressing my character, sports games I like to challenge myself and build up my team, my marble collection is so unique and personal,  my favorite TV show is creative, mysterious and engages me, sitting at the bar is a perfect 3D experience, very immersive with great graphics, gameplay and the social aspect rocks.

MMOs you are describing have none of the above, well some have good graphics, I ll give you that
    Every Video Game is Repetitive!
    MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • PalaPala Member UncommonPosts: 356
    Its not about repetitiveness, living is repetitive, its how you package it.
  • moonboundmoonbound Member UncommonPosts: 396
    paul43 said:

I grew up when fantasy was on the cover of AD&D books, Conan movies with Arnold, and Conan comics. Brutal and relative realistic.

This game is made for people who grew up with Hello Kitty and  Pokemon...

This killed your entire post.

So just because you prefer realistic violence even in fantasy you are saying the rest of the world is childish? pretty ignorant comment IMO.

I grew up watching Conan with Arnold too and as much as like the Age of Conan mmo, i do not prefer realistic violence in my mmos.

No, GW2 is not perfect, everyone knows that. No games are perfect. But out of all the mmos out there you count with one hand how many mmos have done most things better (not all, but most) and you get at least 1 or 2 fingers left (key word, at least, it could be more).
    I agree it did not remind me that of the slightest, people dance and rp like this in every mmorpg, there was a creepy furry mmorpg a while back and thats fine if people are into it but the point is guild wars 2 is far from that so far.
  • moonboundmoonbound Member UncommonPosts: 396
    Also music is subjective not everyone wants to hear hopeless and dark music when they adventure in an mmorpg.
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Gw2 does a lot of things right but hearts is not one of them. about he graphics, it seems everyone on the internet is a graphics whore and have crisis level of graphics expectation which is unrealistic.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• 9ineven9ineven Member UncommonPosts: 168
    edited September 2015
    There is a reason some people have not played GW2 until now (other than its price). So obviously most of those people's critics are gonna be negative. Or at least indifferent. No surprise. Especially since GW2 has always given so much value for its price.

If you have not tried it yet. Well it just means GW2 is not your thing, unless you've been a hostage the past years or new to MMOs.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    9ineven said:
    There is a reason some people have not played GW2 until now (other than its price). So obviously most of those people's critics are gonna be negative. Or at least indifferent. No surprise. Especially since GW2 has always given so much value for its price.

If you have not tried it yet. Well it just means GW2 is not your thing, unless you've been a hostage the past years or new to MMOs.
    Some people might have had other things to do or other games to play.

I think some will be happily surprised, others not. Taste differs and if you think Eve is the only good MMO this probably wont be for you. 
    edited September 2015
    Yeah I agree but still think that most people interested in that kind of MMOs would have tried it already. But who can really know the numbers...
  • TreadworthyTreadworthy Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Also music is subjective not everyone wants to hear hopeless and dark music when they adventure in an mmorpg.
    That is certainly true, but I'm not sure anyone is saying they want to hear hopeless, or dark music all the time.  (see LOTRO for examples)

The primary issue is Guild Wars 2 is not marketed towards adults.  So some adults who grew up gaming  within fantasy themes are simply giving their reviews of the game based on their own appetites.  

I think the game is one of the best for pre-teens and teenagers, or even young adults.  Not saying there is anything wrong for an adult to enjoy this title, but it's clearly not marketed towards us.  However, any review should include examples of how well made it is.  
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    I like the game. I want to play in the new expansion but I'm taking the wait and see attitude for now. I have no need to be on the cutting edge of the game's experience. If the expansion is good, I'll buy it. Otherwise, I've no need to re install the game yet.
    Treadworthy said:

The primary issue is Guild Wars 2 is not marketed towards adults.  So some adults who grew up gaming  within fantasy themes are simply giving their reviews of the game based on their own appetites.  

I think the game is one of the best for pre-teens and teenagers, or even young adults.  Not saying there is anything wrong for an adult to enjoy this title, but it's clearly not marketed towards us.  However, any review should include examples of how well made it is.  

You can actually use the same argument and say that if you're "adult enough" (whatever that means) you will actually enjoy it or even not find it targeted to a younger audience.

I personally enjoyed that game a few years and never had the need of something darker or more mature. I stopped playing and had enough of that game for other reasons but certainly not because I found it childish.

I'm 34 years old by the way, maybe I'm not old enough... Never-mind, I am :/
    9ineven said:
    Treadworthy said:

You can actually use the same argument and say that if you're "adult enough" (whatever that means) you will actually enjoy it or even not find it targeted to a younger audience.

I personally enjoyed that game a few years and never had the need of something darker or more mature. I stopped playing and had enough of that game for other reasons but certainly not because I found it childish.

I'm 34 years old by the way, maybe I'm not old enough... Never-mind, I am :/
    Actually you cant use that same argument :)  

There are clear reasons to argue it is intended for younger crowd . . . T for teen rating, cartoonish graphics, voice emotes congratulating you on leveling up or using a certain skill, unicorn longbows, cutesy mini-games . . . .

These are all great features for the intended crowd without a doubt.  And I wish my games of choice had GW2's level of polish and performance.  But let's call a spade a spade :)

I do believe however, nothing wrong with playing this game as an adult.  I'm so silly at times people might mistake me for a child!  And to be honest, I see no difference from seniors gathering for card night playing canasta 5 times a week versus someone playing an mmorpg they enjoy thoroughly.  The stigma that adults shouldn't play video games goes entirely against the data.  But just like movies, games will be geared toward specific demographics.
    edited September 2015
    I don't agree at all on that: 

"There are clear reasons to argue it is intended for younger crowd . . . T for teen rating, cartoonish graphics, voice emotes congratulating you on leveling up or using a certain skill, unicorn longbows, cutesy mini-games . . . ."

My point is that as a player point of view, this is subjective.

As a marketing point of view, if they can market a game to be T then better for them, the target audience is larger and that's what you search for generally. It does not mean the game is clearly designed just for teens.
    edited September 2015
    9ineven said:
    I don't agree at all on that: 

"There are clear reasons to argue it is intended for younger crowd . . . T for teen rating, cartoonish graphics, voice emotes congratulating you on leveling up or using a certain skill, unicorn longbows, cutesy mini-games . . . ."

My point is that as a player point of view, this is subjective.

As a marketing point of view, if they can market a game to be T then better for them, the target audience is larger and that's what you search for generally. It does not mean the game is clearly designed just for teens.
    Sure, I understand where you are coming from.  And I agree  T rating is for a larger audience, which includes teens.  

What I'm saying is that because of the major inclusion and marketing toward a younger audience there is little to entice an adult gamer such as myself.  (meaning i speak solely for myself and firmly believe others might have different experience)

You might think such a thing as a unicorn bow, cartoonish animation, easy learning curve, ect.  is subjectively geared toward a younger crowd.  But I'm sure the people behind those elements had an idea of marketability in their minds.  So even though our opinions are subjective, the strategy behind a T rating and the general elements of the game are not.  They were placed there for a reason, in direct relation to their intended and largest audience. 

wanted to add this is not an argument and is just my opinion . . . i mean no disrespect to anyone  :)
    Yea I understand but it just seemed that you carefully took a selection of elements (unicorn bow, easy learning curve) just to reinforce you're opinion instead of taking what GW2 is in general and in every aspects.

You're being caricatural basically is what I mean. But maybe that's just me.
  • PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646
    Pretty much completely agree...

I find it nearly impossible to get attached to any Asian style games.  Anime has always bothered me, I can't stand the stuff.  I like South Park, Family Guy, Archer, etc...  Three examples of very different art styles and I enjoy all 3 shows.  Anime on the other hand is just terrible to me.  I think GW2 (and GW1) are "western" enough that I was able to enjoy the graphics but the grinding was just too much.  Bouncing from Yellow heart to Yellow heart killing or clicking on stuff was just a streamlined quest system no different than any other MMO.

The events that pop up every so often are MUCH better, unfortunately they don't seem to be common enough and in many cases a pain in the butt to get to.

Also, I just loaded the game up to try it again and by level 15 ish a major zone event spawned and probably 30+ people showed up and failed to kill the boss.  So 15-20 minutes of doing that event resulted in barely a bar of exp and no other reward.   The ONLY timer that should be attached to a boss fight is an enrage one.  Having to kill a zone event with barely enough time to complete it is pretty stupid design considering how many players have to be involved in the first place and how disappointing it is if you fail for no reason other than the game devs decided to only give you enough time to do 90% damage?
    9ineven said:
    Yea I understand but it just seemed that you carefully took a selection of elements (unicorn bow, easy learning curve) just to reinforce you're opinion instead of taking what GW2 is in general and in every aspects.

You're being caricatural basically is what I mean. But maybe that's just me.
    I certainly have been careful in my comments so as to relate my opinion alongside the OP without being insulting to anyone.
    I have nothing but respect for the game but absolutely stand by my previous statements.   There was nothing "caricatural" about it because those elements actually exist in the game.

Caricatural: a picture, description, etc., ludicrously exaggerating the peculiarities or defects of persons or 
    things.  

If i had mentioned teddy bears and rainbows, you could say I was being caricatural.  
    Like I said maybe that's just me but I still think you're being caricatural with the way you come with your arguments, no need to paste the definition since it just fits with what you said previously, in my opinion.

If you don't agree well I got it already and I'm not more right than you are, just opinions... I'm just careful and I hate when people tries to be hypocritical or have too much ego to admit something. Not saying this is the case with you, just sayin'... This is pointless anyway.

Personally I don't see GW2 being childish, I see it being accessible. That's all.

I understand and respect that you or anybody else can perceive it in many possible ways.

We agree on saying that this is subjective anyways :)
  • LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    edited September 2015
    Personally, I tried so many times to like GW2 but each try never lasted very long for me.  Just something about it.  Can't put my finger on it though.  I think it may have something to do with it feeling rather bland to me.  Completing hearts and acquiring the100% zone objectives seem a bit contrived.  No randomness to it.  I don't know, it just feels like I am being strung by the nose to complete a "to do" checklist in every zone.
    edited September 2015
    9ineven said:
    Like I said maybe that's just me but I still think you're being caricatural with the way you come with your arguments, no need to paste the definition since it just fits with what you said previously, in my opinion.

If you don't agree well I got it already and I'm not more right than you are, just opinions... I'm just careful and I hate when people tries to be hypocritical or have too much ego to admit something. Not saying this is the case with you, just sayin'... This is pointless anyway.

Personally I don't see GW2 being childish, I see it being accessible. That's all.

I understand and respect that you or anybody else can perceive it in many possible ways.

We agree on saying that this is subjective anyways :)
    I certainly don't agree about the marketing being subjective.  :)  It's clearly intended for a younger crowd.  "Younger" however is certainly subjective . . . happy gaming in any case !

Oh, yeah, your comment here was only part of discussion that I couldn't understand 

. . .  "I'm just careful and I hate when people tries to be hypocritical or have too much ego to admit something."

Not sure what it is you would like me to admit?  

(K, that was my last two cents, said in peace and goodwill.)