Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is EQNext Vaporware?

Comments

• SyndromofaDownSyndromofaDown Member UncommonPosts: 325

Dont mind this spam but this was from an interview from StoryBricks. 

"Here are some more information from that interview. They are not really exact qoutes since I tried to shorten them a bit but they should give you an idea of what the developers want:

The developers realize that there are a lot of unanswered questions.

It didn’t make sense to have static quests in an evolving world.

The map in the storybricks demo could represent large regions or small regions like a cursed temple could be a region. You could affect that temple which then creates values that affects a regions which then creates values that affects a country which then creates values that affects the world.

For example if the evil god that is buried in the cursed temple is awakened it may affect a region larger than the temple. If that god starts a religion it could affect the whole country or world.

It’s like overlapping spheres of influences which affects larger or smaller areas

Can I miss content? Yes but there will always be content. There is no scripted content, you are participating in a changing world. This will be problematic for completionists since it will no longer will be realistically possible to do everything. There will always be too much to do and you will never be able to finish all of it. When you log in next there will be different stuff to do.

The more you do for certain factions the more they will ask of you. You can declare that there are things that you care about in the world and invest in that. We know what people of a certain organization wants and if you invest in an organization you will get that kind of content. This means that you can tailor your experience to your playstyle.

When you invest in a faction you will get deeper story, but you will also get access to classes, advanced items and things that the developers couldn’t talk about. “I improved my story as much as my character.”

There is an idea to put the Rohsong online and share it so other people could see your story. There is also an idea to let the Rohsong show only short text or go into a lot more detail about your story. You can also go to a place and learn the story and history of that place. You could for example learn that the nature essence has gone from a region due to devastation and you might be able to work to bringing it back.

The lore, design and the AI is three components of the same thing. Even if the content is generated SOE still would want the lore and story.

If you want to find out what happens in neighbouring areas you could for example go to a tavern and NPC could tell you.

The world shows the state it’s in. If the NPC:S are sick they look sick, if they are famished they looked famished. If they are attacked they are afraid and try to barricade themselves

NPC can react to how you look. If you have a religious item on you NPC can assume that you support the values of that religion and react differently. If for example you look like a knight of justice an NPC can tell you about a justice quest.

If an NPC will get clothes of a queen like in the night elf demo she will act like a queen and other NPC:s will start treating her like the queen. The player could wear the same clothes and get the same response. This will enable a lot role playing. Items you find could could make NPC:s react differently to you and for example different night elves could react differently.

Things that dictates NPC behaviour is among other race, emotions, group belonging, location and traits. An example could be a greedy priest, a violent priest.

Resources are at the heart of this system and we have only shown a few of them but there are resources that are not tied to stuff you can find in the world like gems. It could be security, honor, justice or chaos. If there for example is no stability in the region, well monsters like that alot.

One npc won’t decide that he/she will move from a town but we can have a sim city approach like your level of happiness is not high enough so 10% of the population will move and will not be there anymore.

Organization can change relationship between each other. It works in the same way as relationships between players and organizations.

We don’t want to gate content. We don’t want you  not being able to talk to the orcs if you are friends with the elfs. But the elfs will give you more content and a deeper story.

If you want to make your story about helping farmers for the next 10 years you can do that and travel around the world and help farmers. You will be the farmers hero.

What if I’m the middle of a quest and can’t log on for a couple of days and most other people are working in another direction? Then you might not be able to finish your quest. If you are in a location where there is a large amount of player you are part of a community and the will of that community will shape that location.

Something a lot of players worry about is that a certain group will ruin the experience for everyone else?I don’t think that a small portion of players can ruin the fun for everyone since the world is big and the forces in the world are large as well. That being said the first months of a launch is often plagued by some bugs and you might need to put some checks and balances in place. But if a large amount of players want something this will happen and lead to other events and stories.

Do you expect servers to develop personalities? Yes the world will become a reflection of the population on that server.

We don’t want to lead players into traps but there could be action will lead to bad results. Like if you kill all dryads the forest could become much dangerous. We could give hints like NPC:s saying that I remember before the dryads came and how dangerous it was. Choices are only choices when they are informed.

Indirect pvp, players are working on opposing goals. There could be direct pvp for players interested in that, it’s not the focus of the experience right now. Your actions would matter to other players to. If you have a group of players collection food resources for an army one method to thwart that is that you could burn the food, poison the food and let them deliver it or take the food for you own army."

Also its levelless, multi-classing, destructible worlds, seamless, So they are doing someone new to innovate its just if it will ever see daylight...

• MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635
    Since the site change I can't for the life of me find the option to unsubscribe to this horrid thread. Please help me. Used to be in the posting page.
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    edited August 2015
    Mavolence said:
    Since the site change I can't for the life of me find the option to unsubscribe to this horrid thread. Please help me. Used to be in the posting page.
    Near the top of the page under the ' Play Now ' tab there is a star that should be colored as yellow. Click it and it should remove the updates in your notifications. If you want to stop getting emails you have to edit your preferences.
  • MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635
    edited August 2015
    SlyLoK said:
    Mavolence said:
    Near the top of the page under the ' Play Now ' tab there is a star that should be colored as yellow. Click it and it should remove the updates in your notifications. If you want to stop getting emails you have to edit your preferences.

Thank you, but specifically i'd like to still receive e-mail updates from other threads i've posted in just not this one... anymore lol. Thank you kindly so each thread should have its own star, can I subscribe then to threads where i haven't evne posted as well?
  • GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893

EQ3 with better graphics / combat systems would be great.

If you remember EQ1 , it was a pretty difficult game.

Remember look at monsters ( /consider ) and they would glare threateningly .  Easy to die in that game and you had to becareful since dying meant all your gear was dropping on corpse which needed to be recovered .

You would be foolish to go deep into a dungeon only to die and not be able to retrieve your corpse. There was always a softcore perma death element about the game.

This created a need to group with other people in order to not get killed by camps of mobs.

Having tanks + healers and damage dealers created an optimal group.

If you died you lost XP and getting a level would actually take a bit of work .

There was trading between players , no auction house either .

The game was raw and unforgiving .

They could add some quality of life things to EQ3 like a better questing system ( since most people just looked for spoilers to quests anyways )

The harsh death penalties have to stay , it is what created character and you cared about your avatar .

The harder it is to create a character the more you care about it .

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited August 2015
    CN are not bothered whether the game uses polygons or voxels, they are bothered about the balance sheet.

The released games generate revenue; in an ideal world after deducting the operating costs (mainly staff) they make a profit. EQN, as a development project, generates no revenue; everything they spend is just "red ink".

If CN have set a hard number - above which they will not go - then John Smedley going will make no difference. However if the funding is being "drip fed " / "subject to review" - on a monthly or quarterly basis (whatever) then EQN will need a new "champion"; someone to put the case to CN that EQN will be "great" and "makes lots of money", someone to get CN to sign off on next month's pay checks basically.

Sony's patience obviously ran out though and I suspect CN's will only last so long.
  • MrSnufflesMrSnuffles Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    edited August 2015
    gervaise1 said:
    CN are not bothered whether the game uses polygons or voxels, they are bothered about the balance sheet.

The released games generate revenue; in an ideal world after deducting the operating costs (mainly staff) they make a profit. EQN, as a development project, generates no revenue; everything they spend is just "red ink".

If CN have set a hard number - above which they will not go - then John Smedley going will make no difference. However if the funding is being "drip fed " / "subject to review" - on a monthly or quarterly basis (whatever) then EQN will need a new "champion"; someone to put the case to CN that EQN will be "great" and "makes lots of money", someone to get CN to sign off on next month's pay checks basically.

Sony's patience obviously ran out though and I suspect CN's will only last so long.
    This man get's it. CN is an investment company. They are in this for making money not games. They will cut any excess fat if it does hurt the bottom line.

Planetside 2 and EQ2 are probably the best performing in this portfolio. All the rest will get cut one by one within the next 24 months. First to go will be EQ:Next/Landmark, H1Z1 and DC Universe.

Although they can't cut too many or their All Access Pass becomes less attractive.

If you look at the EQ:Next Website and their Update Videos. All they talk about and show is what players create in Landmark. It's nothing but an Advertisement show for Landmark.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton
    Community Manager, MMORPG.com

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Mavolence said:
    SlyLoK said:
    Mavolence said:

Thank you, but specifically i'd like to still receive e-mail updates from other threads i've posted in just not this one... anymore lol. Thank you kindly so each thread should have its own star, can I subscribe then to threads where i haven't evne posted as well?
    Yep!
  • KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    heerobya said:
    EQ is the grandfather of the "themepark" grind-tastic, group dependent, PvE raid & gear/loot-centric game.
    Nothing in EQ has anything to do with a themepark, literally nothing.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    So when are they gonna show a game play video? It's been what 3 years now?
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Good_ApolloGood_Apollo Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Nanfoodle said:
    kruler said:
    Ok Im going to come out say what Ive wanted to say about EQN since it was first shown, I want this to fail before birth, I want its production history laid wide open and bare to the world, ridiculed and held up as to everything that is wrong with alot of the currant game production models, ie paying for Alpha builds "to help in the games direction", call that for what its is , bullshit.    

(In reference to how Landmark was first touted, not the cynical word play that came later)

With Smed gone, and his style of things purged, I hope that another reset happens, but the death of the title in its currant unknown state and questionable style would not produce tear from me either, which I find ironic as I am very rarely negative on this forums.
    This is the sad side of gamers. EQN is one of the few games thats trying to do something new. Pushing the borders of what it means to be an MMO. With Voxels and advanced AI. Where player interaction with the world and NPCs will make the world so different from server to server. Dropping themepark and trying to be the biggest open seamless sandbox game ever made. What do we gamers do? Rally behind the company spending so much time and money on R&D? No we wish them ill. We keep asking for something new but when a company tries to give us that we bash them. Sad.
    You can't be serious, Nanfoodle? It's like you imagine the narrative you want to be true in your mind, then type it out and run with it as a (presumably) serious argument. Kind of left speechless here...

---

I think the silver lining is that there's quite a few "old school" inspired MMO's on the horizon. Pantheon, Saga of Lucimia, Project Gorgon, Camelot Unchained, and others - if even one of these comes to market in stellar fashion and captures the community in a meaningful way, I think it'll take the sting out of this whole fiasco.
  • Mackaveli44Mackaveli44 Member RarePosts: 708
    gervaise1 said:

This man get's it. CN is an investment company. They are in this for making money not games. They will cut any excess fat if it does hurt the bottom line.

Planetside 2 and EQ2 are probably the best performing in this portfolio. All the rest will get cut one by one within the next 24 months. First to go will be EQ:Next/Landmark, H1Z1 and DC Universe.

Although they can't cut too many or their All Access Pass becomes less attractive.

If you look at the EQ:Next Website and their Update Videos. All they talk about and show is what players create in Landmark. It's nothing but an Advertisement show for Landmark.
    Pretty sad isnt it when you go to a games website, in this case EQ: Next and see nothing but Landmark stuff?  Its a sign of something either way we slice it.  I think we all understand that Landmark are somewhat of the building blocks for EQNext but to have basically nothing on the titled games website is pretty sad and NOT a good sign in the slightest.

You forgot to mention EQ1 in that batch of games thats their best performing.  EQ1 actually has larger numbers then Planetside 2 and EQ2 believe it or not.  Pretty nuts with it being out this long :)  God I miss those good ole  days of EQ1... Nothing has captured the beauty this game had other then Vanguard.  
  • GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907
    edited August 2015
    @OP...

Every single MMO is vaporware until it's officially released, and then a few are still vaporware until first expansion. There are no promises in MMOs, no guarantees.

You look at the MMORPG Projects and Dev Teams, you decide if you agree with how they are doing business, how they are making the new MMO, how they are operating and communicating with Players (as far as we see in public) and you decide which ones to hope for, to support, to cheer on and look forward to. ("You" as in all of us in general)

But they're all vaporware to a certain extent. EnB taught myself and others that. You never know when some Suit is going to pull the plug on your favorite MMO.

Is EQNext Vaporware? Yes and hopefully no, but no more so I think than other new MMO Projects that have not yet been released. Time will tell.

I'll tell you what I do about un-released MMOs... I use common sense and refuse to spend any money on them until I am Reasonably Certain that the new MMO exists and will be released, just like I would if someone asked me to invest in a real life business. I myself am not reasonably certain about EQNext yet.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    This thread has sure got some chops.  It keeps popping up.  There is plenty of news and movement for this to suggest it isn't vaporware.  Some people don't want to see it because they will relish if it does happen, but if I were a betting man, I would be on it being released.

I self identify as a monkey.

• EQBallzzEQBallzz Member UncommonPosts: 229
    If it isn't vaporware it's likely in the process of turning into that. I mean seriously. Wasn't the game supposed to already be released by now? With the change of ownership and the lack of any news or progress for so long it's starting to get a strong Daikatana or Duke Nukem Forever vibe. Maybe they should change the name to EQNukem Forever.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    edited August 2015
    EQBallzz said:
    If it isn't vaporware it's likely in the process of turning into that. I mean seriously. Wasn't the game supposed to already be released by now? With the change of ownership and the lack of any news or progress for so long it's starting to get a strong Daikatana or Duke Nukem Forever vibe. Maybe they should change the name to EQNukem Forever.
    There has never been given an official release date other then with Smed was pressed at SoE Live 2014 and he said 2015. But if you take Smed at his word for anything, you should be counted... nm cant say that or I will get a temp ban. There has never been an official word on when the game is coming out. As the devs making the game keep saying. This game is mostly R&D, never been done before. This is causing unique problems and even more so when R&D systems meat other R&D systems. By the devs own words, they are not in a rush. They are working at getting it right before they release. Im guessing 5-6 years to make this game as a finished released product. So another 1-3 years to go. Im guessing we will see some type of testing done with some type of early access in that time frame. At what point MMOrpg.com will stand firm and call its a released game and rate it but thats not their stand on all game. All depends on how they feel that week I guess lol
    gervaise1 said:

Pretty sad isnt it when you go to a games website, in this case EQ: Next and see nothing but Landmark stuff?  Its a sign of something either way we slice it.  I think we all understand that Landmark are somewhat of the building blocks for EQNext but to have basically nothing on the titled games website is pretty sad and NOT a good sign in the slightest.

You forgot to mention EQ1 in that batch of games thats their best performing.  EQ1 actually has larger numbers then Planetside 2 and EQ2 believe it or not.  Pretty nuts with it being out this long :)  God I miss those good ole  days of EQ1... Nothing has captured the beauty this game had other then Vanguard.  
    The EQ:Next Website is a Marketing Platform to sell Landmark. nothing else. They will milk Landmark as long as it remains profitable and then drop it like a hot potato.

You are probably right, EQ1 is still doing good and considering the significantly cheaper server infrastructure it might even be the best performing in terms of bottom line.

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,610
    MrSnuffles said: 
    The EQ:Next Website is a Marketing Platform to sell Landmark. nothing else. They will milk Landmark as long as it remains profitable and then drop it like a hot potato.

You are probably right, EQ1 is still doing good and considering the significantly cheaper server infrastructure it might even be the best performing in terms of bottom line.

Again making up crap not knowing what you are talking about. Does every post you make have to be like this? Again I will ask you to google it before you reply with something wrong again. Landmark fee is 100% refundable. The fee was to get people in who really want to be part of building EQN and test its Alpha systems. So you get in and its not for you, 100% refund. How do you milk people that way? 
  • iatesandiatesand Member UncommonPosts: 92

I feel bad with interrupting your post with facts, it always seems so anti dramatic to actually post facts and leave the wild speculation to the tin foil hat people.. but

the EQ:N wepage currently has 33 post on it
    7 (21%)of those are EQ:N workshops where they talk about lore of the new game and show off the Landmark building contest. These are specifically EQ:N related events even though they were made in Landmark
    1 (3%) producer letter that talks about mostly EQ:N stuff
    7 (21%) Round table post that are 100% EQ:N related content
    8 (24%) twitters that are in someway aimed at EQ:N related content or just EQ stuff in general 
    10 (30%)4 WiKia  and  6 misc post about crap.. I didn't read them

For a marketing platform made only to sell Landmark.. they are doing a very bad job of it. If anything  seeings as over 50% of the topics are based on EQ:N lore and things to come, its almost like they are trying to promote a new game in development or something. Crazy!

As for the potato.. that is once again uneducated speculation. Unless you have some insider information... we would love it if you shared.

• NordicApacheNordicApache Member UncommonPosts: 134
    If it wasn't "vaporware" then why are we having this long, drawn out conversation about it? From the first inception of EQN to now there has been relatively crap info. Post buy-out and you wouldn't be crazy for thinking it fell off. 
  • iatesandiatesand Member UncommonPosts: 92
    If it wasn't "vaporware" then why are we having this long, drawn out conversation about it? From the first inception of EQN to now there has been relatively crap info. Post buy-out and you wouldn't be crazy for thinking it fell off. 
    I agree with you, post buy-out it would be completely understandable if they would have canceled the game. I really half expected them to do exactly that.

But they didn't cancel it as far as I am aware. The last time I checked the only people who know with 100% confidence was the company who is making it, and DBG says its under development and is planned to be released.

At the end of the day, that is the only fact we know, and until they tell us differently saying otherwise is just uneducated speculation on our part. 
  • Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945
    Daybreak says they are still working on the game and based on this I believe they will release something called EQ:Next.  That doesn't mean the project isn't dangerously close to be cancelled as most signs point to that being a real possibility.

What I do think people are calling vaporware is the notion that this game will be anywhere near what the original design ideas were.  The chance that this game will be some huge sandbox with destructible environment and breathtaking AI is long dead.  The company has all but stopped talking about anything that make this game seem interesting.

I think most have seen these development situations play out enough to recognize when a project is in trouble and sinking. 

This project is over 7 years old, virtually everyone that was leading the project has been fired, the game is still in the  concept stage, so I very much doubt there are going to be multiple years of funding left or the team has resources to 'take their time to get things right'. 
    edited August 2015
    iatesand said:

I feel bad with interrupting your post with facts, it always seems so anti dramatic to actually post facts and leave the wild speculation to the tin foil hat people.. but

the EQ:N wepage currently has 33 post on it
    7 (21%)of those are EQ:N workshops where they talk about lore of the new game and show off the Landmark building contest. These are specifically EQ:N related events even though they were made in Landmark
    1 (3%) producer letter that talks about mostly EQ:N stuff
    7 (21%) Round table post that are 100% EQ:N related content
    8 (24%) twitters that are in someway aimed at EQ:N related content or just EQ stuff in general 
    10 (30%)4 WiKia  and  6 misc post about crap.. I didn't read them

For a marketing platform made only to sell Landmark.. they are doing a very bad job of it. If anything  seeings as over 50% of the topics are based on EQ:N lore and things to come, its almost like they are trying to promote a new game in development or something. Crazy!

As for the potato.. that is once again uneducated speculation. Unless you have some insider information... we would love it if you shared.

Nice try but don't distort the facts inflating the numbers by counting wikia howto's and tweets litke: 

Voxels! #TheOscars2015 are catching up to @everquest_next! or 
    For the adventurers of Norrath?@everquest @everquestii@LandmarkGame http://t.co/glbEI2MkMz

Which the last one is clearly about Landmark.

Landmark: 7 Workshops, Producer Letter, Tweets, Marketing reminders about buying access etc... (ALL of them NEW)
    EQ:N: 1 Producer Letter, 2 Polls, 3 Lore posts. (ALL of them 200 days or older)

50% are not about EQ:N Lore and things to come. That's it. End of story. Don't try to bullshit everyone with your made up facts.

- Michael Bitton

- SEANMCAD

• SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    I think people are missing a reality fact here... Games take years to develop... Years, not months, not days, years. A challenge for you if this concept eludes you, grab a C and OpenGL book and write a simple pong game, my bet will be that alone will take you a few weeks without experience, experienced maybe a week.

No news is good news, it means people are doing their job instead of wasting time chatting about what they are working on.

Can this thread die now?
  • BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    I think people are missing a reality fact here... Games take years to develop... Years, not months, not days, years. A challenge for you if this concept eludes you, grab a C and OpenGL book and write a simple pong game, my bet will be that alone will take you a few weeks without experience, experienced maybe a week.

No news is good news, it means people are doing their job instead of wasting time chatting about what they are working on.

Can this thread die now?
    Except for the fact that DBG, which is now owned by a venture capital company, is not going to fund or be funded for MMO development "for years" as you say.

That is not what venture capital companies are, or what they do. Or how they operate.

VC firms are about short term profit, period.

Go grab a book on corporate finance and read for 10 minutes on venture capital take overs.

It is no accident that they fired half of the people working on EQN, especially many/most of the senior ones, after they bought out SOE. This alone should as big a red flag as people want that this game, as envisioned, is not going the distance.

Personally, I think it is even money that "EQN" will either fold, or be released in some stripped down, Neverwinter-like form. All that will be left to any EQN game that releases, in regards to the original Everquest, will be the name.
This discussion has been closed.