Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Increase max. mid column width?

VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
Hey my fellow mmorpg'ers!

Now, the new forum layout really brings me back to the old 15"  800x600 days.
I have like 2/3rds of grey space left and right while i read the content in a rather narrow mid section that won't resize wider than about 900p as i draw my browser window in width.

While this may be about pleasing the kids and hipsters with their mobile phones (and probably the marketing team that'll buy the left and right space later on), usually every forum i know adjusts the middle column width to whatever your monitor is able to display.

I wonder if this is being worked on or if we have to go with it as it is?

Comments

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    I second this. It is a horrible new trend, thanks to cell phones, that more and more sites have this super small width, with TONS to scroll down.

I wish at least there was an option. If you read this on a PC monitor, the screen is usually much wider than higher.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    yes , please change it , so frustrating ads on the left ads on the right and gray space everywhere, in the middle of this the forum ,tiny and sad.....
  • EzirensEzirens Member UncommonPosts: 7
    as a web designer this is because we have to design the site for "everybody" and even though you may be cruising at a 1080p res or higher the bulk of users are still using around 1280x1024. This is atleast better than when the standard was 800x600. We have basically 2 options, make and code a design for each resolution and have it switch between when users get on different screen sizes or make all of the content dynamic as you would describe everything in %'s . Most problem with %'s is that they depend on what screen is viewing it and for some people it would look fine, others with would look out of proportion and break the design. This is why only a select few sites use this feature or such as forums as they are simple in design without hand-made elements.

So instead of designing the site 5 times for 5 different resolutions we pick the most common resolution and design a site around that, then we have to do 1 for mobile/tablet since its a new trend. Hope this helps shed some light on to why.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    As long as I can read everything without my reading glasses....  It's all good

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee