Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What makes a good MMO player?

Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
We have plenty of threads here that talk about bad MMO players.  But what qualities do you think make a good MMO player: the types of players we appreciate in our games?  What would the ideal MMO player be in your judgment?

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
--Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
--Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

Comments

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Good MMO player?  My guildie Primar from years ago.

Polite, modest, achieved but played for fun, mild temperament, smart, cooperative but neither subservient or self-serving, great interaction skills (he and my GF used to chat regularly).  He was an asset to the game community.

If I could find an MMO with a million of him, I'd sign-up and never leave.  Or even just 50 of him if we were all in the same guild.  =)

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Players that have room awareness, learned how to play their class and geared themselves properly. Ideally its someone that enjoys doing all sorts of content and can take setbacks.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    The smarter the better.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    Vardahoth said:
    I think back to a clan I had in Lineage 2 back in 2007. We were up against a griefer clan who absorbed all the clans in game and terrorized the server. Clannies would form up leveling parties to help eachother out. We did the end game raids together and the leaders would pass down the godly boss jewelry down onto the members.

There was an incident I had with NCsoft. When I went to go play at a lan cafe with a friend, they banned my account for 2 weeks for logging in as a different IP address saying I was account sharing. I had explained to them I was just playing from a lan center, and they told me the decision has already been made and if I respond further they would ignore me and permanently ban my account. So I waited 2 weeks. I got my account back, and all the gear I had worked on for 4+ years was deleted except for my boots (they thought this was a joke and told me "we didn't want to leave you with cold feet"). I was about to quit, but my clan pulled all the mats they had gathered over the last few months, and crafted me even better gear to make it feel like I didn't lose anything. This to me is what makes great MMORPG players. They back eachother up and give the shirt off their back for eachother.

However since gear is binded now, you won't find a clan doing any of these kind acts for you. And since MMORPGs lack player interaction all together, I doubt you will find any decent players to play with.
    And I thought it would be harder for NCSoft to be even bigger asshats.....   Apparently not.  

Nice clan, sounding  seriously good, but I wouldn't give NCSoft a penny again after that.   Of course, after CoH's demise, I wouldn't give them a penny again anyway.   

My major wish for my gaming crew is a good sense of humor.  

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,976

As MMOs have changed what makes a "good" player has changed. But I will stick to core principles:

Being 18 or over, not a drama queen and a willingness to read forums/information sites about your game. If you match that you should be fine. :)

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433
    Behaving in a helpful and social manner mostly and being ready to learn from and teach others.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Someone fun and friendly that actually listens to advice on how to play better. 

Someone who already think he or she is a great player are not something I want in my guild, it is really hard to get them attuned to our group play, a total noob that listens will work a lot better after 2 weeks and from then on.

It might sound weird to some people but new players generally make better guild members in my experience. They are less stubborn and when we tell them something they tend to listen. Some vets can easily adapt their gameplay to any group though and they are great to play with, but far too many gets stuck in a very specific way of thinking and that only work in the most basic trinity combat games.

Besides, someone who is fun and nice are always  great to play with, almost anyone can learn to play good but it is impossible to learn someone to be nice.
  • SalvadorbardSalvadorbard Member UncommonPosts: 100
    In the game I play (Avalon) a good player is NOT one who spends money on the game at least not from a 'game environment' standpoint but one who plays the game passionately and emotionally (I say this purely as a player based on conversations with the Gods). I've seen so many clowns buy their way to higher levels and have no idea how to use their skills, followed by a subsequent trashing at the hands of someone half their size, half their gear but twice their skill.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    A good player is one who thinks the challenge is beating his own limits, not beating others.

• DaikuruDaikuru Member RarePosts: 797
    Skill, Knowledge and Passion.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

- Albert Einstein