Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NEW GAME: SACRAMENT ("Old School")

Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
http://www.sacramentgame.com/sacrament-game.html

Seems to hit many of the touchstones of other newly announced "Return to the old days" MMOs popping up on here:

"brings players back to some of the fundamental concepts of MMORPGs: grouping, adventuring, community, reward, and most of all, challenge!"

"No matter which path is chosen, each player will find frustration and reward alike as they are challenged by a system that shows no favor to those lacking in skill but stepping above their capabilities."

"This game is not about getting to max level and “beating” the final raid boss; it is about finding yourself and your skill level, sometimes spending weeks at a single tier before finding the gear and skill required to move forward! "

"want to make a game for the disenfranchised gamer. For the disillusioned gamer. For the fed up and tired of it gamer. For the smarter than the publishers gamer. For the gamer tired of being treated like a second, third, or fourth thought. For the gamer that is tired of easy. For the gamer that enjoys a challenge."

"This game addresses concerns that have been expressed by the gaming masses for years. Concerns that have heretofore either gone unanswered, or have been given only lip service. "

"After all, we're building a game we'd love to play and that means we won't have time to coddle you, hold your hand, or nerf the game to make it easier for you. You will have to learn the hard way, the way we did back in the "old days". And you will have to work together... we're bringing Multiplayer back to MMO."

"Our goal is an MMO created by gamers, for gamers to enjoy. Join us in taking back this industry. "

Yadda yadda...

Yet another game that sounds WONDERFUL on paper... wonder where I have seen similar before :)

Odds are that one day one of these will pan out, and I'm a sucker so even though (as far as I can tell) they have no experience making games (seems to be another trend) , I will check out their soon to launch Kickstarter.   Yeah, I agree... I must have something wrong in my brain.  /shrug

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Comments

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149

Yep, 'sounds' great :)  We on;y need one to work out.  The problem I guess is that the more that try the more people's money gets spread out and the less likely even a good game will be too succeed.  I still hope.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• StormakovStormakov Member UncommonPosts: 200
    I hate when companies announce MMOs like this, honestly they need to stop feeding these hype trains and just work on the damn game until there's something to actually show.

Crowfall is a perfect example of how a game's development should be delivered, consistently and with plenty of progress to show for it.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Sounds like yet another Wow clone,gear progression.
    Worst idea ever in gaming,good for the developer because that carrot on a stick keeps them paying for minimal content.

I prefer a developer gives classes some great skills to work with and on various timers to keep them thinking and playing smart,not just spamming 1/2/3  1/2/3.I highly doubt any game will give me the kind of depth i am after,everything always looks rushed and cheap.Yes i sound skeptical,it is because i am.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• Beatnik59Beatnik59 Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    Well, I like how sympathetic they are to roleplayers and their needs, at least according to their site.  Lord knows no demographic that has been more loyal, more beneficial, and more shite upon than RPers in MMORPGs.

"...when it comes to pimping EVE I have little restraints."
    --Hellmar, CEO of CCP.

"It's like they took a gun, put it to their nugget sack and pulled the trigger over and over again, each time telling us how great it was that they were shooting themselves in the balls."
    --Exar_Kun on SWG's NGE

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    edited August 2015

Seems to hit many of the touchstones of other newly announced "Return to the old days" MMOs popping up on here:

"brings players back to some of the fundamental concepts of MMORPGs: grouping, adventuring, community, reward, and most of all, challenge!"

"No matter which path is chosen, each player will find frustration and reward alike as they are challenged by a system that shows no favor to those lacking in skill but stepping above their capabilities."

"This game is not about getting to max level and “beating” the final raid boss; it is about finding yourself and your skill level, sometimes spending weeks at a single tier before finding the gear and skill required to move forward! "

"want to make a game for the disenfranchised gamer. For the disillusioned gamer. For the fed up and tired of it gamer. For the smarter than the publishers gamer. For the gamer tired of being treated like a second, third, or fourth thought. For the gamer that is tired of easy. For the gamer that enjoys a challenge."

"This game addresses concerns that have been expressed by the gaming masses for years. Concerns that have heretofore either gone unanswered, or have been given only lip service. "

"After all, we're building a game we'd love to play and that means we won't have time to coddle you, hold your hand, or nerf the game to make it easier for you. You will have to learn the hard way, the way we did back in the "old days". And you will have to work together... we're bringing Multiplayer back to MMO."

"Our goal is an MMO created by gamers, for gamers to enjoy. Join us in taking back this industry. "

Yadda yadda...

Yet another game that sounds WONDERFUL on paper... wonder where I have seen similar before :)

Odds are that one day one of these will pan out, and I'm a sucker so even though (as far as I can tell) they have no experience making games (seems to be another trend) , I will check out their soon to launch Kickstarter.   Yeah, I agree... I must have something wrong in my brain.  /shrug

Lmfao sounds just like that other guy with that other game asking people to pre-order. The only thing they didn't say here was "You don't like it F off!". 

edit- Lots of classes plus the devs love pvp? hmmmm
    Post edited by bcbully on
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    Wizardry said:
    Sounds like yet another Wow clone,gear progression.
    Worst idea ever in gaming,good for the developer because that carrot on a stick keeps them paying for minimal content.

I prefer a developer gives classes some great skills to work with and on various timers to keep them thinking and playing smart,not just spamming 1/2/3  1/2/3.I highly doubt any game will give me the kind of depth i am after,everything always looks rushed and cheap.Yes i sound skeptical,it is because i am.
    What part of the article did you read? Nothing...as usual. Canned response.

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• ArtificeVenatusArtificeVenatus Member UncommonPosts: 1,236
    ;Slapshot1188 - thank you for finding this *thumbs up*

Definitely another check on the list of "one of these ****ers gotta come through with a real mmorpg." *shot glass raised* Here is to the future!
  • IkonisIkonis Member UncommonPosts: 245
    Hurray!!! Pandering and Buzzwords Online 24

This will surely turn the industry into a glorious old schooler paradise. No.....for real this time! Don't doubt them you hater trolls.
  • RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 805
    1.) Inexperienced team.  Check.
    2.) Folks who probably have no real idea how to budget/actually make a game on their own without third party assistance that they have to pay.  Check.
    3.) A project that has absolutely nothing to show except for so-so concept art.  Check.
    4.) Looking for donations/founders long before the game is ready.  Check.
    5.) Overly ambitious with little actual chance of the game ever being completed.  Check.

Not even remotely excited.
    I like to complain about games.
  • DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    "...an MMO created by gamers, for gamers to enjoy..."

Bit of a red flag there. With the amount of different preferences and types of players, they need a more definitive community lest they invite confusion and unwanted conflict over game design.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    edited August 2015

EDIT:  I spoke too soon.

http://www.sacramentgame.com/donate.html

"planning a HUGE Kickstarter event"

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    edited August 2015
    bcbully said:

Lmfao sounds just like that other guy with that other game asking people to pre-order. The only thing they didn't say here was "You don't like it F off!". 

edit- Lots of classes plus the devs love pvp? hmmmm
    Honesty they all start to sound very much alike.  Each of these games tries to target a disaffected part of the population and convince them that they are special and that the other folks just don't "get it".  I'll be following to be sure.  Although we all pretty much know how these stories end, it's usually fun to watch.

And like I said... eventually SOMEONE has to succeed.  It's just the law of averages :)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited August 2015
    Lets see how it pans out, they know the demand is there, its just a question of how they decide to implement that demand. For me a old/new hybrid would be best, but I understand if they talk like that it could just confuse people. Half of what we had in "Old School" was poor gameplay, but a lot got of good elements got chucked out with the bad stuff.
  • GaendricGaendric Member UncommonPosts: 624
    Way too early to judge. If they want my money, they will have to produce something worthwhile first.

It's easy to make a list of cool ideas that pander to your target audience. Actually producing a working MMO is an entirely different matter.
    They basically only did the easy little fun part.. let's see if they are ready for the other 99% of making an actual MMO before we dish out money. Those 99% won't be as fun and easy, that's for sure.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

Yadda yadda...

And all these other mmo's coming out or being release are brilliant, right?

Right now mmo's in the NA/EU are in free fall, how can these be any worst than the so called devs who have experience but still feed the gullible crap mmo's.

Guess we wil see.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Stormakov said:
    I hate when companies announce MMOs like this, honestly they need to stop feeding these hype trains and just work on the damn game until there's something to actually show.

Crowfall is a perfect example of how a game's development should be delivered, consistently and with plenty of progress to show for it.
    And this site is really getting bad  about bringing up things that aren't ready for awhile....Its like the news now...its how fast can we find something?.....Also MMOs are a pain because these companies all throw around the catch phrases and terms then fail miserably executing them.
  • GaendricGaendric Member UncommonPosts: 624
    The thing is, why wouldn't devs do it. It's basically free money for no work.
    You say a few things people want to hear and they throw money at you. Ofcourse most devs give in to the temptation. Money always wins.

• YashaXYashaX Member EpicPosts: 3,098
    I don't think they'll get much traction here unless they plaster their website with claims that "99% of gamers are entitlement brats", tell everyone with different views to "fuck off", and get a PR guy to troll these forums.

• MrStealYourRimsMrStealYourRims Member CommonPosts: 1
    How do ipost a new thread? Its not giving me an option

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    How do ipost a new thread? Its not giving me an option

In the thread menu, for example The Pub at MMORPG.COM. Click New Discussions (Under Categories) then New Discussion. I guess the word "thread" is too old fashioned for a super new forum. :0

• RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 805
    Let's be honest here, I joined up on their forums and had a look around and asked a few questions.  I have no doubt that these guys actually think they're going to create a game but as it stands right now their entire website and their staff is more or less ameature hour.  Their entire staff consists of volunteers.  There's not a single developer among the core founders of the group.  The website itself even reads like a fan website, these guys aren't developers.  Seriously.  Anyone who ends up giving them money are in for the second coming of Greed Monger.  They talk about how they used to play and enjoyed Everquest and how they've typed out a bunch of 'design documents' with literally nothing to show for the game.

I asked when we'd see some real development and their response was that they're working on a 'fly through video' before putting up their kickstarter.  Uh, what?  Is it going to be a fly through of a bunch of generic unity or Unreal 3/4 assets?  I'm guessing so.  What can you do though?  There's always going to be those guys out there who are stupid enough to hand over their cash.
    I like to complain about games.
    Ridrith said:
    Let's be honest here, I joined up on their forums and had a look around and asked a few questions.  I have no doubt that these guys actually think they're going to create a game but as it stands right now their entire website and their staff is more or less ameature hour.  Their entire staff consists of volunteers.  There's not a single developer among the core founders of the group.  The website itself even reads like a fan website, these guys aren't developers.  Seriously.  Anyone who ends up giving them money are in for the second coming of Greed Monger.  They talk about how they used to play and enjoyed Everquest and how they've typed out a bunch of 'design documents' with literally nothing to show for the game.

I asked when we'd see some real development and their response was that they're working on a 'fly through video' before putting up their kickstarter.  Uh, what?  Is it going to be a fly through of a bunch of generic unity or Unreal 3/4 assets?  I'm guessing so.  What can you do though?  There's always going to be those guys out there who are stupid enough to hand over their cash.
    Sadly they aren't alone.  Just scan these very forums and you will find a few more doing the same thing.  Claiming they they never created a game before, but have experience and know the type of game they want to play.  Then of course offering those true fans the ability to contribute money (not that it's needed of course).

All I can say is.... We'll see.

• YanocchiYanocchi Member UncommonPosts: 677
    It's an interesting find but I am sceptical if the team hasn't been involved in previous game projects. I've noticed that an increasing number of companies are interested in adding dungeon master features to their games. Developers of Sacrament have called it PVPE.
    Baldur's Gate Online - Video Trailer
    * more info, screenshots and videos here