Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO Selling incredibly well on PS4

1235»

Comments

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Loke666 said:
    I am curious as to where you got that GW2 sold 8 million copies. Do you have a link?
    I would like to see that as well. It surely isn't impossible, I do know it passed 5 millions but 8 is a lot. Of course since HoT includes the basic game if you don't own it the pre-orders might count as full copies as well and together with the Chinese sales (only number I have that is reliable is 1.5M pre-orders) the number do make some sense. That doesn't make 8 mil true of course until we see something official or at least semi official.

It doesn't really matter in this discussion though, 5 million copies is more than ESO and that was over a year ago. ESO on the other hand still have gotten in more money due to the monthly subs it had on PCs before so lets call it a draw.

GW2 as B2P game heavily depends on the sale of expansions so how well it will do in the future depends on how HoT and future expansions will sell. The same goes for ESO even if it might depend more on loose dlcs and "freemium" styled subs than actual expansions.

Both games are so far doing pretty well and it will be interesting to see which one of them actually passes Wow with active players somewhere in the future, it is bound to happen sooner or later and I honestly can't see any other western MMOs doing it, particularly since the only ones in development now are indie and kickstarter games (beside EQN and I doubt we see that one out in the next 3 years).
    They were apparently at 4.6 million copies earlier this year. 

http://www.kdbdw.com/bbs/download/193934.pdf?attachmentId=193934

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    Loke666 said:
    I am curious as to where you got that GW2 sold 8 million copies. Do you have a link?
    I would like to see that as well. It surely isn't impossible, I do know it passed 5 millions but 8 is a lot. Of course since HoT includes the basic game if you don't own it the pre-orders might count as full copies as well and together with the Chinese sales (only number I have that is reliable is 1.5M pre-orders) the number do make some sense. That doesn't make 8 mil true of course until we see something official or at least semi official.

It doesn't really matter in this discussion though, 5 million copies is more than ESO and that was over a year ago. ESO on the other hand still have gotten in more money due to the monthly subs it had on PCs before so lets call it a draw.

GW2 as B2P game heavily depends on the sale of expansions so how well it will do in the future depends on how HoT and future expansions will sell. The same goes for ESO even if it might depend more on loose dlcs and "freemium" styled subs than actual expansions.

Both games are so far doing pretty well and it will be interesting to see which one of them actually passes Wow with active players somewhere in the future, it is bound to happen sooner or later and I honestly can't see any other western MMOs doing it, particularly since the only ones in development now are indie and kickstarter games (beside EQN and I doubt we see that one out in the next 3 years).

Awesome, why not stick to official sources and use some intenet numberz instead:

GW2 1st year: https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/guild-wars-2-the-first-year/

over 5m sold: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLslqhBn3PU

Youre getting more and more desperate and just showed how random internetz numberz are WRONG even if theres official data available. Long live various superdatas and npds and daewoos who cant even copy official data.
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    edited August 2015
    Malabooga said:
    Loke666 said:

Awesome, why not stick to official sources and use some intenet numberz instead:

Youre getting more and more desperate and just showed how random internetz numberz are WRONG even if theres official data available. Long live various superdatas and npds and daewoos who cant even copy official data.
    Aww don't be to hard on Steve.  He has been doing that same song and dance for the last couple of years.  At least he is consistent.  I don't know where the other guy got 8 million though.  Maybe Steve and the other guy should have just said "millions" =)
    Post edited by rodingo on

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• MalaboogaMalabooga Member UncommonPosts: 2,977
    edited August 2015
    rodingo said:
    Aww don't be to hard on Steve.  He has been doing that same song and dance for the last couple of years.  At least he is consistent.  However, I didn't see on his pdf link the numbers of GW2 units sold to date, just the yearly earnings for NCSoft in general.  So not sure where he got 4.6 million. I don't know where the other guy got 8 million either.  Maybe Steve and the other guy should have just said "millions" =)
    Nah, just mentioned hes getting more and more desperate, GW2 is hard game to hate, not much if any ammo ;)

Especially if you know he participated in 5m thread on this very site and knows very well its over 5m.

PDF said: 2,5m in first year and 4,6m sold, both wrong by hilarious margin.

Yah, they should just use PR speech, people on these forums drink PR like water lol

PR is dreadfull scam, but i cant negate effectivness of it

"How do we make bad number look good"
    "lets just say "millions", that sounds AWESOME"

lol
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    edited August 2015
    Malabooga said:

PDF said: 2,5m in first year and 4,6m sold, both wrong by hilarious margin.

Ahh, in the fourth paragraph, first page. O.o

Since I work with code and data daily I went straight to the graphs and numbers instead of actually "reading".  Going to edit my earlier post now for posterity.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Malabooga said:
    Loke666 said:

Yeah... Your numbers are a half a year later then the ones I posted and after they announced the expansion. I am not desperate about anything. I had not seen that video. I was just pointing out that it wasn't eight million. Thanks for the info though. 

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    Why is this thread so long?

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    d_20 said:
    IDK but we just made it longer.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Iselin said:
    d_20 said:
    IDK but we just made it longer.
    GW2 guys.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Has been hard to post since the update - type a word wait for it to slowly appear - so whilst it seems OK a quick response.

My comment about GW2 was intended to demonstrate two things: b2p games, unlike, sub based games are more likely to keep selling and b) we get all sorts of reports c) dangerous to extrapolate to much

Rightly or wrongly there were lots of reports (ign and many other sites) in mid-2014 that GW2 had sold over 7M generated by adding together the first year sales number of 3.5M that NCSoft announced in mid-2013 with the widely reported 3.8M number for sales in China. As I don't speak Chinese I have no idea whether the 3.8M number was names of account holders or characters; to me it looked like accounts but the market is big enough so all a sanity check can do is suggest maybe it sales.

And then there were end 2014 reports that built on this especially as the game added Brazil and Russia.

And this has gone very slow again .....sigh. Take away: GW2 and Destiny are "near neighbours" to TESO and both suggest sales can continue going forward.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    I own it on the ps4 and enjoy it quite a bit on there. I also own it on the PC. But tend to enjoy playing it more on the ps4 just due to the massive amount of people around at all times. There are a lot of downsides on the ps4 though like lack of support for text chat and the obnoxious proximity chat some people forget that they have on and have little kids screaming in the background. 
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    gervaise1 said:
    Has been hard to post since the update - type a word wait for it to slowly appear - so whilst it seems OK a quick response.

@gervaise1 ;

Are you using Edge in Windows 10? I have that same problem but it's fine on Chrome and Safari
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AlamonzoroAlamonzoro Member UncommonPosts: 120
    edited August 2015
    that's good for them,at least now their competing with destiny and not World of Warcraft the mmo killer.

• TreadworthyTreadworthy Member UncommonPosts: 56
    I for one am glad that ESO has so much success.  (and yes, despite some of the postings here they did extremely well)

I'm also rooting for Final Fantasy 14 and Guild Wars 2.  Plenty of room in our universe for many good mmorpgs.  ESO appeals to me more because of its depth of character progression and adult themes.  The other two have their own virtues and dedicated fan base.  

I believe success for these games is great news.; variety and options are key to this genre right now if we want developers to push the envelope in new ways.  
  • BluddwolfBluddwolf Member UncommonPosts: 355
    I've noticed that the physical box price is a lot less than the Steam price (PC version), so I'm not surprised that the other formats are selling well.  

Played: E&B, SWG, Eve, WoW, COH, WAR, POTBS, AOC, LOTRO, AUTO.A, AO, FE, TR, WWII, MWO, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, NWO, WoP, RUST, LIF, SOA, MORTAL, DFUW, AA, TF, PFO, ALBO, and many many others....