Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Accessible MOBA Fun in Crytek's Arena of Fate - Michael Bitton at MMORPG.com

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited August 2015 in News & Features Discussion

imageAccessible MOBA Fun in Crytek's Arena of Fate - Michael Bitton at MMORPG.com

Arena of Fate is an upcoming free-to-play MOBA by the folks at Crytek. Yes, that’s right, another MOBA. You’re probably groaning and shaking your head already, but don’t write it off just yet, this one’s actually fairly interesting.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    I think @Grakulen and I played this at Crytek's booth at E3 or PAX a while back. It was actually fun, but didn't differentiate itself enough. This seems a step in the right direction. Though I still think the MOBA formula needs to be applied to different gameplay methods, not point and click LoL/DOTA style movement.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited August 2015
    Moba's would be better if they didn't come off as just very cheap inclusions into a flooded market. Bad camera,bad maps,linear lane ways,controlling the minions and player is bad,the whole game is much better suited to a turn base game with added features and mechanics.

I can actually point to SOE's defunct tcg game,it had beautiful characters but the maps were too small and cheap ,similar to Moba maps.

These Moba's need more mechanics to make game play fun.I see streamers playing and their jaw is like locked in position trying to watch their character ,minions and opposing player/s.

I would rather see no minions,not enough mechanics to bother having them at all and even if there were more mechanics for minions,you wouldn't be playing your main character so the whole design is just bad.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Another isometric view moba, no matter what they bring on table, at 1st look people always think "seen it all, done it all".

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• MadFrenchieMadFrenchie Member LegendaryPosts: 8,505
    edited August 2015
    I think @Grakulen and I played this at Crytek's booth at E3 or PAX a while back. It was actually fun, but didn't differentiate itself enough. This seems a step in the right direction. Though I still think the MOBA formula needs to be applied to different gameplay methods, not point and click LoL/DOTA style movement.
    The fact that Smite is still the only MOBA touting a 3rd person OTS view simply baffles my mind.

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    The fact that Smite is still the only MOBA touting a 3rd person OTS view simply baffles my mind.
    Those stylized graphics orc must die or gigantic will also be 3rd person i think. But yeah, there are companies who have more funds than Hirez so it is quite odd that currently they are the only one in western market providing 3rd person action moba.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    edited August 2015
    nm

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    I think there are quite a few options to expand the MOBA market, like a PVE moba. Make one based off of another Warcraft map. I think an Enfos standalone game would work really well. Basically two giant lanes, where you control a champion that levels up and gains gear like a moba, but you balance out sending more and more difficult enemies down the opponent teams lane. I don't know, I just don't understand why out of all of the warcraft and starcraft custom maps, DOTA and Tower Defenses were the two to take off.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    GIGANTIC is coming ;)

• toomuch4212toomuch4212 Member UncommonPosts: 82
    Yeah, I'll be sticking to smite for my Moba itch until gigantic comes out.
  • moosecatlolmoosecatlol Member RarePosts: 1,530
    Accessible MOBAs, redundant redundancy, more at eleven.
  • ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    edited August 2015
    They could at least try to make something that's different visually. A grimdark Dark Souls -like MOBA. A space MOBA. A hardcore sci-fi MOBA. A MOBA with stylized 2D graphics a-la Don't Starve. Something that doesn't scream "we copied LOL and DOTA". One of the reasons why I checked Gigantic out in the first place is that it looks different.
  • KarontenoKamiiKarontenoKamii Member UncommonPosts: 25
    edited August 2015
    Scalpless said:
    A hardcore sci-fi MOBA.".
    You described Supernova with that part of your post.. but supernova has mini rts elements
  • AlamonzoroAlamonzoro Member UncommonPosts: 120
    two many modas on dance floor.