Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Derek Smart's 'New' List of Demands

Comments

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissistic_personality_disorder

No more Smart please  O.o

I had my dose and my psychological curiosity is satisfied :pleased: 

I think you are right on that.  Funny thing though:  old co-workers of Roberts said essentially the same thing about him.   I think they both fit in that description pretty dang well.  One's just a little better in public....

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• Ronald88Ronald88 Member UncommonPosts: 56
    Smart Sucks !!!
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited August 2015
    I honestly don't know how good star citizen is going to be, but I expect just like other games it is going to end up with another  game that.

. You have to pay for customization rather than just unlock and be able to swap cosmetics on character.
    . The game will be nothing more but instances with a limited number of ships in each instance with combat.

I could be wrong about Star Citizen, but will wait to see.

As far as Line OF Defense, the graphics just immediately turned me away, even Face OF Mankind had better graphics and it is closed down now.

Like come on League OF Legends is a free 2 play moba, and at least they know how to design character models.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    I like all the smooth LoD gameplay that can be seen in Jim´s quickplay of it..

This have been a good conversation

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    tawess said:
    I like all the smooth LoD gameplay that can be seen in Jim´s quickplay of it..

LMAO!  Pretty much sums it all up really when it comes to Derek Smart's games.

Just pretty much reinforces what a complete clown and joke he is in the game industry.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited September 2015
    Mr. Smart has made a lot of valid points. Forget your personal opinions of him just look at the facts.
    That is the way i look at it and the way everyone should look at it.

The game is never about Derek nor should it be,but ideas and the business should ALWAYS be scrutinized,we are talking about other people's money and ZERO accountability.

If this was his own money,then nobody should care less what is going on,i know i wouldn't care,however this is not the case and he is also bound by almost no laws either which makes it all the worse.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    edited September 2015
    Wizardry said:
    Mr. Smart has made a lot of valid points. Forget your personal opinions of him just look at the facts.

The game is never about Derek nor should it be,but ideas and the business should ALWAYS be scrutinized,we are talking about other people's money and ZERO accountability.

If this was his own money,then nobody should care less what is going on,i know i wouldn't care,however this is not the case and he is also bound by almost no laws either which makes it all the worse.

Derek Smart should keep his mouth shut and look in the mirror!

Come on now!

This clown releases yet another broken, buggy, unfinished game, takes people's money and gets away with it, because he uses the Early Access excuse! and can so avoid giving out refunds himself!

A year later, the game is still in Early Access and just as broken, unfinished and buggy as hell!!
    Talk about ZERO accountability! /facepalm!

Just give it some more time until he bails out again and add yet another game on his list of failed projects!

This clown has ZERO integrity himself, is utterly toxic in the game industry and all he is good at is attacking other developers who are actually successful!

What a pitiful, sad individual Derek Smart is! Has accomplished absolutely nothing himself! Ever!
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Wizardry said:

I'm not sure what you're talking about when you say "zero accountability". I'm not even sure you understand the term. You obviously have no idea about the project, are not a backer, and have done little to no research other than listening to what Derek Smart has said and taking his word as the word of God. 

SC has actually been very accountable. All you really had to do was visit their website. They have plenty of information about what they're working on, what they're project plans are, etc., etc. So if you mean that you they are "not accountable" because they don't respond to empty threats and speculative information, then I suppose they aren't accountable. However, it should be noted that ZERO companies respond to speculative information, rumours, etc. The majority of the SC community is happy and wouldn't even ask for a refund (based on community polls) so why are we even still talking about this? Oh yeah!!! Because of Derek Smart and his continuing saga to free us from the evil that is SC. Reality: Derek Smart hearts SC and is so jelly that he is just bashing them because he wants to be them. I'm not sure why you don't feel like this thread is not about Derek Smart. Haven't you figured it out yet? Everything that Derek Smart says is about Derek Smart. He probably even talks in third person because he loves hearing his name so much. 

Anyway, point is that SC is very accountable and I have an inbox full of emails of status updates which points to that FACT. The only other FACT here is that Derek should be concentrating on making his own game better, because it's horrible. That's a FACT. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• CannyoneCannyone Member UncommonPosts: 267
    While I don't agree with all of the design decisions that CIG (and Chris Roberts) makes.  I'm willing to wait and see how Star Citizen turns out.  And the reason, for me personally, is simple:  Freelancer and Wing Commander were two of my favorite computer games.  

Were they perfect in every way?  Uh I didn't notice.  I was too busy having fun.  Were some of the sequels "less than stellar" ?  Yeah, but lots of games have been that way over the years.  That's just the way this industry is...

Who is Darek Smart?  The name sounds vaguely familiar.  But I can't pin the name to anything of significance.   Still from reading the the opening post of this thread.  All I can hear is someone with a grudge.  Other than that I'm not sure.  

Perhaps some injustice was done to this person.  Or, just as likely, they are a complete troll.  So, no matter what happens with Star Citizen, all I can say for sure is that I'll never post in this thread again.  

Have a great day!
  • ArawulfArawulf Guest WriterMember UncommonPosts: 597
    edited September 2015
    The fact is that Derek Smart, as a competing game developer, is not in a position to represent the community. When reading someone's arguments, you first must know who is making them and what motive they may have for doing so. No argument is made in a vacuum.
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    edited September 2015
    Cloud Imperium Games has of course already sent a reply to DS lawyers. Contrary to DS  CIG does not feel the need to post legal matters to the whole internet. DS is already planning a new blog about it. So far DS has posted a part of the CIG message:

“Your client’s defamatory claims are entirely without merit and include unfounded allegations that the funds raised for the project were used improperly, even fraudulently. In this vain, your client is now asking for a “forensic accounting” to be made available to him. Firstly, there is obviously no legal basis for your client’s request and your letter cites no such authority. Secondly, the ample information provided regularly on our extensive website, including monthly progress reports from each studio, published headcounts and the like, would enable any person familiar with the cost of game development to assess the proper spending of the funds raised. Your client claims to be such an experienced person, so we are a bit perplexed about this demand coming in particular from him.

In sum, your client’s allegations and demands are completely without basis and hereby rejected in their entirety.”

http://www.dereksmart.org/2015/08/interstellar-breach/#comment-1624

In summary, CIG (specifically Ortwin Freyermuth) told DS to "Bring It". Ortwin Freyermuth  is Co-Founder of CIG and a lawyer by profession.

Have fun

PS:
    Remember those words from DS blog ?
    "...Chris, in your case however, I made the exception because you’re a lying, fraudulent, egotistical, asshole...."
    DS has changed his blog in the meantime and removed those words (someone seems to have talked some sense into him back then), but that wont help him much. When DS sues CIG, i am very much looking forward to Chris Roberts counter-sueing DS for slander (see old DS blogs). Or Sandi Gardiner counter-sueing DS for doxing (which DS confessed to in his own blogs).

Post edited by Erillion on
  • unclemounclemo Member UncommonPosts: 462
    I hope Derek Smart gets sued and loses.
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    About the topic of Star Citizen refunds so often mentioned by DS:

"A spokesperson for Cloud Imperium said that a total of 1,269 refunds have so far been given out, with 93 refunds since the beginning of July. "

Thats 1269 out of 760.031 or  0,17 %.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/8/20/9180067/star-citizen-backers-claiming-refunds-are-getting-their-money-back

Polygon has another long article, well written  (although the title is clearly clickbait). Also mentions DS.

http://www.polygon.com/features/2015/8/31/9211969/what-the-hell-is-going-on-with-star-citizen

From my personal experience ... people I know asked for a refund because they were in financial trouble and needed the money. CIG gave him his money back after an e-mail which explained the reason why he asked for a refund. I guess a significant portion of those 1269 refunds is made up of such cases.

CIG have always given refunds since 2012 if you give them a good reason and explanation. CIG does not give refunds because of anything DS has said or done - thats just in DS imagination.

Have fun
  • YanocchiYanocchi Member UncommonPosts: 677
    Someone should make a spoof youtube video "Smart vs Roberts - There will be blood".

Derek Smart:

DRAINAGE!!! DRRAINAGE, Chris, you boy!

If you have a MMO space-sim and I have a MMO space-sim.
    And I have an online presence... that's the online presence, you see... watch it...
    And my online presence reaches acroooss the Internet, and starts to drain your MMO space-sim,
    I drain your space-sim! I DRAIN IT UP!!!

Baldur's Gate Online - Video Trailer
    * more info, screenshots and videos here

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Yanocchi said:
    Someone should make a spoof youtube video "Smart vs Roberts - There will be blood".

Derek Smart:

And I have an online presence... that's the online presence, you see... watch it...
    And my online presence reaches acroooss the Internet, and starts to drain your MMO space-sim,

Chris.... phooowhewww.....  Come to the dark side.....

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• jcrg99jcrg99 Member UncommonPosts: 723
    edited September 2015
    One more crowdfunding suffers because forgot that customer laws applies to ALL business in United States, where general customers had access to:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/1551/~/foia-processing-timeframes

At this point, with all the precedences going into the direction of protecting the consumer, the only expected result from any lawsuit against CIG, regardless the source will mean losses for Cloud Imperium Games. Now, the only valid speculation is if such lost would mean the total disaster and failure/bankruptcy of the company, or just strong penalties impacting them financially, but most importantly  (and bad) in reputation.

It's important to understand that CIG already broke many laws which involves the Consumer Protection Act, the Fair Act and the FTC Act, to name a few, where for all these, not even "forensic accountability" is necessary to prove their wrong doing. Just their public statements (and contradictory speech/bait-and-switch) are enough, which any common customer is capable to gather.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    jcrg99 said:
    One more crowdfunding suffers because forgot that customer laws applies to ALL business in United States, where general customers had access to:

At this point, with all the precedences going into the direction of protecting the consumer, the only expected result from any lawsuit against CIG, regardless the source will mean losses for Cloud Imperium Games. Now, the only valid speculation is if such lost would mean the total disaster and failure/bankruptcy of the company, or just strong penalties impacting them financially, but most importantly  (and bad) in reputation.

It's important to understand that CIG already broke many laws which involves the Consumer Protection Act, the Fair Act and the FTC Act, to name a few, where for all these, not even "forensic accountability" is necessary to prove their wrong doing. Just their public statements (and contradictory speech/bait-and-switch) are enough, which any common customer is capable to gather.

Wow! Just wow. I'm not sure what precedences we're talking about. I'm also not sure what country you're from where someone isn't free to a trial by their peers. However, in America, that's not how things work. They also don't chop off your hand for stealing something, rip out your tongue for talking back, of put you in the square to have stones thrown at you because you did something disrespectful. 

Thanks for the completely random link, though. Also, if you'd like, feel free to make legitimate references to cases in which CIG has violated any of the acts that you mentioned. I'll be more than happy to check them out. 

Also, it should be noted that CIG responded to Derek Smart's request already and, basically, bitch-slapped him and told him to go home. So far it appears as though that's what he's done. Like he didn't think CIG had legal representation? 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    Just to clarify here. The only (legitimate) legal complaint that has been made is that Derek (and/or others) have not gotten what they were promised, or their money back. If the money is refunded, there are no legal issues here.
  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    2000 signatures telling Smart what SC backers think of him. good read, sign if you agree
    https://www.change.org/p/derek-smart-derek-smart-does-not-represent-the-star-citizen-community
  • SmartySmartSmartySmart Member UncommonPosts: 312
    edited September 2015
    jcrg99 said:

Hey Jean,

https://encyclopediadramatica.se/Manzes
  • Squadron24Squadron24 Member UncommonPosts: 121
    love this comic.
    "THE NORTH KOREA OF THE GAME INDUSTRY"

Enlist and reserve your name for Star Citizen/Squadron 42 with my referral link and get 5,000 free game credits   https://robertsspaceindustries.com/enlist?referral=STAR-RRVV-M5TH   (gives free stuff to both of us!)  B) 
  • Dagon13Dagon13 Member UncommonPosts: 566
    jcrg99 said:

Hey Jean,

https://encyclopediadramatica.se/Manzes
    Derpy Sharts... I realize that was juvenile but man was it entertaining.
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    What I still do not understand is how Line OF Defense is supposed to be better than Star Citizen The Character Models are god awful and standard?

I still do not expect Star Citizen to be a big hit either, could be wrong a lot of people could enjoy SC,but the game has had a lot more effort put into it, I have just seen too many space games like "Free Lancer" and Elite Dangerous + EVE Online which bring nothing really different to the game.

However SC could also bring a lot of different types of game-play think of SC if they made the ship combat great, but also made it so there was planetary combat on the scale of Planet Side like, not Planetside 2 but Planet Side, as well as the ability to be in First Person on space stations, and actually blow up other players stations sending players into space dead or having to be rescued.

Then yeah I could expect SC to be a big hit, but I still think either the game will not be released at all, or that it will be released but it will be held back by lack of innovation, or technical issues.
  • WarleyWarley Member UncommonPosts: 508
    jcrg99 said:

Which particular laws have been broken?
  • WarleyWarley Member UncommonPosts: 508
    Yanocchi said:

Derek Smart:

A Derek Smart vs Chris Roberts Epic Battles of History would be.... EPIC!