Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just found out guild wars 2 base game went free to play.

moonboundmoonbound Member UncommonPosts: 396
Looking into details now.

Comments

• ManestreamManestream Member UncommonPosts: 941
    ok, so basically you only have to purchase the Expansion Heart of Thrones to get everything. The base game has restrictions but no longer required to buy it. Heart of thrones expansion has this already built in (like most do thesedays). Good to know one can go and try it out before buying it. Thats all it really comes down to.
  • ClaiesClaies Member UncommonPosts: 76
    edited August 2015
    Free players have "Less storage", "subtle economy restrictions", can only start a whisper every 30 seconds, and can't access WvW until level 60 (among other restrictions).  Feels a lot like other F2P conversion MMOs, and not surprising, considering the ever more present cash shop.
  • Arcane4176Arcane4176 Member UncommonPosts: 61
    edited August 2015
    Yea and they still want to call it B2P what a joke. Its free to play now with download content they want to call an expansion to give you a reason to fork over $50.00. They also have that lovely fluff shop for ya as well. Enjoy..
    Post edited by Arcane4176 on
  • IsidiusIsidius Member UncommonPosts: 46
    edited August 2015
    Yea and they still want to call it B2P what a joke , its free to play now with download content that they want to call an expansion to trick you all and get ya to fork over $50.00 and then also have ya spend money in the cash shop on fluff. Enjoy..
    I get stuff from the gem store, I don't spend money on it...maybe you need to learn how to convert gold to gems so you can get stuff from the store without spending cash? Also wow people still complaining about spending cash for fluff, before it was omg pay to win because you can get huge advantage in the cash shop...now omg you have to spend money to get fluff from the store! Geezus
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Isidius said:
    Yea and they still want to call it B2P what a joke , its free to play now with download content that they want to call an expansion to trick you all and get ya to fork over $50.00 and then also have ya spend money in the cash shop on fluff. Enjoy..
    I get stuff from the gem store, I don't spend money on it...maybe you need to learn how to convert gold to gems so you can get stuff from the store without spending cash? Also wow people still complaining about spending cash for fluff, before it was omg pay to win because you can get huge advantage in the cash shop...now omg you have to spend money to get fluff from the store! Geezus
    I never had a problem with the gem store. I hated that you could spend cash to buy nearly anything that's in game.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Isidius said:

Tell me where i said you HAVE to pay money in the store? Learn to read .
    Isidius said:

Tell me where i said you HAVE to pay money in the store? Learn to read .
    Learn to place your punctuations properly, here have some salt.
    edited August 2015
    If I cared about punctuation I might try but seeing how I'm on the internet writing in a forum I could care less. This is not a test like in your high school but I know people like you get off correcting others because it gives you attention something you don't get in real life.If you cant understand what I am  writing or cant read it then you need to go back to school. Here have some flowers..
    Post edited by Arcane4176 on
  • moonboundmoonbound Member UncommonPosts: 396
    If I cared about punctuation I might try but seeing how I'm on the internet writing in a forum I could care less. This is not a test like in your high school but I know people like you get off correcting others because it gives you attention something you don't get in real life.If you cant understand what I am  writing or cant read it then you need to go back to school. Later princess.. here have some flowers..
    Its not like your at your job, he is only trying to discredit your points with nonsense.
  • Sal1Sal1 Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Please give a new Guild Wars 2 player some advice. Installing now.

If I cared about punctuation I might try but seeing how I'm on the internet writing in a forum I could care less. This is not a test like in your high school but I know people like you get off correcting others because it gives you attention something you don't get in real life.If you cant understand what I am  writing or cant read it then you need to go back to school. Here have some flowers..
    Well you got boring quickly...on to the next 1. Keep the flowers for yourself...have some more salt and enjoy being ignored - hopefully in the future you learn to punctuate and get facts correct about the game before you bash it. =)
  • ArawulfArawulf Guest WriterMember UncommonPosts: 597
    This is a good move for them. They just set up a host of brand new potential customers for the expansion.
  • RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
    How can you expect others to to treat your post as an intelligent point, when you can't be bothered to learn to express said point clearly, or properly? For one the game is still B2P as you really can't progress into end game without buying HoT. How this fact is lost on your part, I'm not sure. It's no more f2p than it used to be really, more of a free trial, but better. People were buying the core game on Amazon for $5 anyway.

PS: When you say you could care less, it should be couldn't care less, which means you can't possibly care any less on the care meter.

Care meter (0------------------50------------------100 )

Zero means you couldn't care any less than zero. 50 means you could care less, (but you care just a little bit more than zero), 100 means you care all the way; easy concept really. The only person needing to go back to school here though, is you.
  • RealizerRealizer Member RarePosts: 724
    Sal1 said:

The game is best played how you like it imo. I enjoyed just exploring the areas and finding vistas and jumping puzzles, while doing the personal story. If you just want to blast through levels after you are level 10 and have earned your first black lion key through personal story, just head to Edge of the Mists WvW zone, and follow a commander tag on the map, by joining their squad. You'll earn everything you need there, all the way to 80, if you want. Dungeons, and crafting, are also decently quick ways to level. Crafting costs gold though, and won't likely be your first choice as a new player.

One thing is for certain, GW2 is pretty reliant on players finding guild communities to enhance their flavor of play style. If you aren't a player that enjoys the guild atmosphere, it may be a hard game for you to get longevity out of. That being said there are great guilds, and bad ones, as well.
    You know people are tiiiicked in the forums, I personally would be upset to, buy to play and sub only game filters out gold spammers and terrible communities in general, not to mention bad pugs.
  • KarontenoKamiiKarontenoKamii Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Claies said:
    Free players have "Less storage", "subtle economy restrictions", can only start a whisper every 30 seconds, and can't access WvW until level 60 (among other restrictions).  Feels a lot like other F2P conversion MMOs, and not surprising, considering the ever more present cash shop.
    Cash shop isn't bad at all in GW2 the restrictions aren't that bad for newcomers and Gw2 a game that has content wherever you go.. it's really worth the time to check it out.
  • KarontenoKamiiKarontenoKamii Member UncommonPosts: 25

Sal1 said:

Explore and Have fun don't stick to one char seeing the lore of every race is really fun.
    Claies said:
    Cash shop isn't bad at all in GW2 the restrictions aren't that bad for newcomers and Gw2 a game that has content wherever you go.. it's really worth the time to check it out.
    Personally I do not understand why they just do not do free trials, I was actually going to buy this after eso but I wont now unless there is a good sale.
  • Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    moonbound said:
    Claies said:
    Personally I do not understand why they just do not do free trials, I was actually going to buy this after eso but I wont now unless there is a good sale.
    Free trials are generally more of a hassle to the company, and do not provide as good results. This is why companies go for the low cost/high return option of F2P.
  • JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    I don't agree with them keeping f2p out of WvW.  That's pretty much the best part of the game.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Thinking back to GW1 was that not B2P and only pay for each new box? I can remember all sorts of bundles, with the new box and original game in it?
    moonbound said:
    Claies said:
    Free trials are generally more of a hassle to the company, and do not provide as good results. This is why companies go for the low cost/high return option of F2P.
    Explain, tsw has 3 day trial all the time, final fantasy has a 14 day free trial, wildstar had a 14 day free trial, back in the earlier days of eq2 they had a 14 day trial and so did many others, I do not think you really know it is or not they would not be doing these if it was such a hassle.
    edited August 2015
    Realizer said:
    How can you expect others to to treat your post as an intelligent point, when you can't be bothered to learn to express said point clearly, or properly? For one the game is still B2P as you really can't progress into end game without buying HoT. How this fact is lost on your part, I'm not sure. It's no more f2p than it used to be really, more of a free trial, but better. People were buying the core game on Amazon for $5 anyway.

PS: When you say you could care less, it should be couldn't care less, which means you can't possibly care any less on the care meter.

Care meter (0------------------50------------------100 )

Zero means you couldn't care any less than zero. 50 means you could care less, (but you care just a little bit more than zero), 100 means you care all the way; easy concept really. The only person needing to go back to school here though, is you.
    Your right i am going to go back to school so you guys will understand what I write thanks for the heads up. Have a great day!