Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

There are two type of players....

KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
edited August 2015 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM

...and you'll quickly see in which category you belong. The first type is the players who want the market and the games we have today to remain at this quality because they are the ones funding them and thus voting with their wallets to see more of what we have today. You can already figure by now who's the second type...the opposite of the first. They are the ones who know that we can have better and thus refuse to support what's being delivered to us. Their experience in gaming also helps them to still keep themselves busy and enjoying, playing games available out there equally that the first type is paying $ to access. You have another billion of people unknowingly who are supporting, the experienced, vet gamers because they too are not spending on the games that are delivered, because obviouslly they aren't appealing to them.

In other words, if you want to have Elder Scroll: VI, VII, VIII etc. you buy Skyrim. You want to have World of Warcraft: The Awakening of the Jedi one day, then you continue to buy its expansions. You get the pic?

Now, in my opinion in the first type/category, those who are more inclined on spending are the younger audience, cuz I too was once very young and spent enormous $ on arcade, consoles and its games. Then you also have those who spend $ and then regret spending, but it's their fault. You have those who complain games are meh, blah, etc. but they unknowingly have helped gaming to be at a certain level it is today. I too am I the reason why Blizzard will release another expansion next year, cuz I bought WOW:WoD and every previous expansion. The big difference with me through is I've supported/supporting a product released a decade ago that truly made positive difference for the MMO genre. The success of WOW was earned and deserved. Anyone who will argue this clearly is out of touch with this genre. It's not Blizzard fault that others choose to copy its product, thinking it will follow its success....but as you can see even when you support a product you enjoy, it creates a general inpact that can stretch out to the genre as a whole.

Bottom line, if you can equally or more enjoy a product while not spending $ over a product that requires $, you are the winner, the consumer. You've won the PvP war vs the producer. Of course, this is not the final and most significant thing that defines the future. There will be always garbage games coming just like some good ones...but they certanly will be far less because their funds will quickly run out and they will either move on to things they can be more useful in society or they can try better/harder to hear your voice and deliver what you want for your $.

When there are in general good products lacking, many gamers themselves would start getting involved in development, because if no one is delivering what they truly want, they either have to do it themselves or learn to enjoy someone elses product or find another hobby.

Comments

• maybebakedmaybebaked Member UncommonPosts: 305
    What? We can have better? How? Pray tell us how. There aren't enough quality games out there for you? You don't spend any money on games because they aren't good enough for you? What a waste of time reading this. There has never been a time with a better or more diverse world of video games. If you can't find something you like, perhaps playing video games isn't for you....
  • unfilteredJWunfilteredJW Member RarePosts: 388
    This hurt my brain.

I'll try again later.

I'm a MUDder. I play MUDs.

Current: Dragonrealms

• KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
    edited August 2015
    What? We can have better? How? Pray tell us how. There aren't enough quality games out there for you? You don't spend any money on games because they aren't good enough for you? What a waste of time reading this. There has never been a time with a better or more diverse world of video games. If you can't find something you like, perhaps playing video games isn't for you....

Try to read the thread again. Where specifically do I say I can't find something I like or there aren't enough quality games out there for me as you state? I've enjoyed gaming far more than you ever will in your lifetime and over the last 5 years I've done it without SPENDING a cent on any new product that came out. $ was never the barrier for entry for me, but this is where vet experience comes in handly and pays off. The childhood years were brutal for me, how much $ that I've dumped, but hey it paid off cuz thx to it now I'm saving more than ever while enjoying gaming as much as I did and more while voting with my wallet, paying only for products that bring completely different experience on a whole new level (for me at least) vs what's available for free.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    This hurt my brain.

I'll try again later.
    Go play a game you paid for. You'll feel better.
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • kaonkaon Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Kopogero said:
     I've enjoyed gaming far more than you ever will in your lifetime and over the last 5 years I've done it without SPENDING a cent on any new product that came out.
    Kopogero said:

...cuz I bought WOW:WoD and every previous expansion. 

• KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685
    edited August 2015
    Yes, WOW is not a new product, sorry buddy. If you classify new content for a decade old game (that's essential to the way it's designed) as a "new game/product" then I have no further comment. By the way, welcome to MMORPG.com.
    Post edited by Kopogero on