Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Imagine if GTA VI had no world and was all linear...

tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
GTA has always been an open world game, you get excited for the next reveal to see what City it is in, you get excited to explore, mess around and just live in that City. Each new game you think of the possibilities of what they could do next, you hope for more and more enter-able buildings... though sadly that never happens :\

That is the MMORPG genre, it was built to create online worlds, you used to get excited to see new areas in trailers. I always loved each new zone transition, for example in WoW, everyone's favourite moment was waking from the Forest into Westfall or walking into Iron Forge. You used to want to get through to see the world, live in it and experience everything dynamically. SWG was another one that I just enjoyed being in that world, the mechanics made it perfect for being a Star Wars life simulator. 

Now they're all Hub games, where you stand in this static small area and just go down to instances in groups. Those existed before with Phantasy Star Online and Guild Wars, but they were never called MMOs back then. Sadly now the open world MMO has died, for some reason developers think people don't want them any more. 

I have to blame that to how tedious an MMO can be, no wonder why people want to get to end level, when the quests are there to grind, not to do to have fun. I can compare that to Skyrim and TESO, all the quests in Skyrim were fun to do, just to experience them, but in TESO they're all linear grind quests..

People want open worlds, Dayz proved people love open world PVP when done right, GTA proves that after V selling like 50 million copies. The problem is, no one is making them, they had their shot and they all decided to make WoW clones that were noway near as good as WoW. 

Now we're living the consequences and nothing makes me sadder than seeing EQN :\

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    You, sludgebeard and delete should team up and create MMOPining.com. I think there's a certain under-served market that you guys could corner. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre