Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

$80,000 "stretch goal" for a guy that only produces videos...? wtf?

ImpsyImpsy Member UncommonPosts: 53
Seems like a ridiculous stretch goal to me. Anyone else think so?

Comments

• mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504
    edited August 2015
    how about links or literally anything else to point us towards what you're talking about?

also video production is pretty important in games and people don't do it for free, man has to get paid!
  • ImpsyImpsy Member UncommonPosts: 53
    https://crowfall.com/#/

their main page: "Help pay for the newly hired video guy so we'll be able to put out even more content to keep you guys in the loop!"
    $40 an hour on a 40 hour work week... for video footage of alpha and beta.

I'm just wondering who's friend it is lol
  • mbrodiembrodie Member RarePosts: 1,504
    Impsy said:
    https://crowfall.com/#/

their main page: "Help pay for the newly hired video guy so we'll be able to put out even more content to keep you guys in the loop!"
    $40 an hour on a 40 hour work week... for video footage of alpha and beta.

I'm just wondering who's friend it is lol
    ok now i realise it's like a video documentary guy... thats just a waste of money and someones friend for sure... there is nothing they could do in "videos to keep people in the loop" that they couldn't do with like weekly live streams or something.
  • AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    edited August 2015
    A dedicated video person could turn that $80k into quite a lot more if the quality and frequency can keep the hype and customer base growing. Really not a bad investment on either end.

At this point they have the cash to make the game and didn't plan on doubling the work force or anything so it's just odds and ends, such as expanding markets and what not.

For those that don't know, employees cost companies a lot more than their salary. Insurance (worker's comp) and benefits (if available) chip away at that 80k. Also don't know if that is the cost for 1, 2, 3+ years either. If he works part time, that could easily be for a multi year contract/salary. No clue what hard/software he uses, but that could be part of the price as well.

Honestly have no clue what a position like that goes for with any company, but doubt they pulled the number randomly out of the sky.

Regardless, the potential is still there to bring in more cash/fans so no harm really. I wouldn't mind seeing more goals that directly impacted my future experience, but is what it is.
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    edited August 2015
    I could do that for free.
    In fact I am sure many fans with good Video Editing skills would do it for free if given a chance.
    80k should be spent in programmers at this time, not on marketing.............it's way too early.

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Don't forget about Kickstarter's cut

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    $500, just strap a goPro to your head and record all the things.

Then call it a Blair Witch Style Found Footage Crowfall Behind the Scenes video.
    They should add another 25 bucks onto the Kickstarter for coffee and doughnuts.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    This is one of those things that a lot of companies have that folks just don't normally think about. I'm sure if you look through many kickstarter projects you'll find plenty of seemingly "pointless" additions to teams. Pointless to our needs anyway as players. That's not to say they have no importance for a business though, awareness is important. You're not just kickstarting a game in cases like this, you're kickstarting a business.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

edited August 2015
    True... Distopia

But it seems to be getting to the point where it's: "Well why the heck would we dip into our own bank account, we'll just throw up another Kickstarter"

Lets not forget that Kickstarter is going to collect around $6500 off the transaction

laserit said:
    True... Distopia

But it seems to be getting to the point where it's: "Well why the heck would we dip into our own bank account, we'll just throw up another Kickstarter"

Lets not forget that Kickstarter is going to collect around $6500 off the transaction
    This has nothing to do with Kickstarter, that is long over with. They are selling stuff that continues to add to the total amount available to work on the project in whatever way they need/want.

They don't technically "need" goals anymore. The KS was fully funded along with many stretch goals during and post the Kickstarter several months back.

Instead of "just give us your money plz" they provide something to aim for and a reason why. Pretty standard for crowdfunded projects.

Star Citizen is the extreme example of ~2 million during Kickstarter, ~85 million after. $80k for an additional team member isn't crazy.
    edited August 2015

ste2000 said:
    In fact I am sure many fans with good Video Editing skills would do it for free if given a chance.
    80k should be spent in programmers at this time, not on marketing.............it's way too early.
    If you live in or around Austin, hit them up maybe?

Actually lots of fans that collect videos, articles, facts and what not along with translating/captioning the videos that are done and maintaining Wikis.

But if you or someone has the free time to work for free, so be it. Very easy to say you "could" do it, question is would/can you actually do it.

Much easier to pay and entrust someone professional to do what they want then hoping someone will come along and do it for free cause they are just that awesome.
  • DarkHighDarkHigh Member UncommonPosts: 157
    If they are making videos like the old Lineage 2 videos than HELL YA $80k is worth it.

• ko1oko1o Member UncommonPosts: 117
    Allein said:
    A dedicated video person could turn that $80k into quite a lot more if the quality and frequency can keep the hype and customer base growing. Really not a bad investment on either end.

At this point they have the cash to make the game and didn't plan on doubling the work force or anything so it's just odds and ends, such as expanding markets and what not.

For those that don't know, employees cost companies a lot more than their salary. Insurance (worker's comp) and benefits (if available) chip away at that 80k. Also don't know if that is the cost for 1, 2, 3+ years either. If he works part time, that could easily be for a multi year contract/salary. No clue what hard/software he uses, but that could be part of the price as well.

Honestly have no clue what a position like that goes for with any company, but doubt they pulled the number randomly out of the sky.

Regardless, the potential is still there to bring in more cash/fans so no harm really. I wouldn't mind seeing more goals that directly impacted my future experience, but is what it is.
    ^This

80k a year is a bit much for a video guy but I assume this is for 1.5-2 years. Which is a decent salary for a video guy.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I don't follow this.

They are asking you to give them money to hire someone to convince you to give them money lmao.

If they haven't already convinced you,this is like saying ...but wait we are sure if you give us money we can convince you with these videos.

If you still don't see the humor in this think about it the next time your watching TV and a commercial pops up.This is like saying  "help us make commercials to convince you to buy what we are selling".Haha only in gaming is this sort fo stuff happening,if that TV commercial asked for money you would grab the clicker so fast and turn the channel.

I know for FACT gaming has become huge off of marketing but there is still a large player base that doesn't want anything to do with video marketing,we want to hear about a Triple A game and all the systems it will have.I can point at Wildstar sure i enjoyed watching their marketing videos,they were really good but it never convinced me to buy their product.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

edited August 2015
    Honestly doubt many folks are actually contributing cash for the sole purpose of funding this guys salary. It's simply a stretch goal in place to show where fan money is going. 

They could have a counter ticking up for every $1 spent on store purchases and game packages without any need to have it going directly to one thing or another. Just a picture of their pockets ever expanding and the cash floating away into the void.

However they are a crowdfunded game and it is expected. They could easily just take the next $80k that they would receive regardless and hire the guy without telling anyone. At this point, they really aren't too obligated to use incoming cash for XYZ unless they want to. If people want to give them money without any specific goal in mind, good for everyone.

Really don't get the big deal. Do folks ask Blizzard or insert whatever company where all the cash is going from box sells, cash shop purchases, merchandise, etc? 

I wouldn't mind if every company actually put out there where my money was actually going, not that is going to happen. Find it funny that a company being honest is being called out because it isn't what some believe is worth the cash or whatever.

Wish I could get a refund from all the games I've spent money on over the years that took said cash and destroyed what I paid for. Sure didn't willingly pay for expansions, updates, and total revamps of games that took away from my fun.
  • CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654
    half of their money goes to marketing and crap like this LOL

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    Folks, the Kickstarter is over and they are actually letting players into their "Pre-Alpha" now.  As long as they actually DELIVER on what they have promised, I don't care what they spend any new money on.  It could be hookers and beer for all I care.  Just deliver what you have said and I'll be a happy camper.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    Impsy said:
    Seems like a ridiculous stretch goal to me. Anyone else think so?
    Seems like a perfect stretch goal to me. Whatever or not it's a stretch goal the money would have gone there anyway. Now you know what your money is going. 
  • ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178

half of their money goes to marketing and crap like this LOL

All part of running a business. So why should a lot of money not go there? 
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    ste2000 said:

Could... Yes... Should... No... 

Nobody should work for free and "exposure" is not a valid currency if it is the only currency. ALso i am pretty sure there are laws like the ones we have where i live that prevent them from obtaining the copyright to the material if it is unpaid labour. Those rights would remain with the creator and could end up causing a legal quagmire that no sant person would want to get in to. 

So they need to pay and then they need to pay at least minimum wage + all the other fees and charges. Then as others have mentioned comes the cost of software (we can assume Adobe.. they are really good at selling their stuff) and hardware like cameras, lights, backdrops/greenscreen, set decor, audio equipment, editing station, mixers, a repair budget and well.. props... depending on the kind of productions they aim for. Then you also need to factor in the cost of electricity. 

All in all it is not cheap to produce video... Even if the cost have gone down in recent years, heck my iphone has more power than the first editing station i worked on and the camera is about 10 time better. =P 

This have been a good conversation

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Wizardry said:

They are asking you to give them money to hire someone to convince you to give them money lmao.
    That is like paying for school in order to get a job to pay for school.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited September 2015
    DMKano said:
    Again this should be none of anyone's concern who is not an employee, or a direct investor.

If a company wants to kickstart a job position for an office cat-whisperer, its their business.

If you don't like it, ignore the kickstart campaign.

I still don't get why anyone outside the company feels like their opinion should count on businesses related issues when they have nothing to do with it.

[mod edit]. you have never walked into a store , shop ... etc .. and wow .. why would they do/pay for this ..Why would they do things this way?... Why does this cost X ... WTF are they thinking ... ?"

[mod edit]
    Post edited by Amana on
  • zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Is it just 80K for the video guy? is there like not hardware and software in the mix? A pc just to renders video as fast he can is not cheap.

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    edited August 2015
    DMKano said:
    Scorchien said:
    DMKano said:
    Again this should be none of anyone's concern who is not an employee, or a direct investor.

If a company wants to kickstart a job position for an office cat-whisperer, its their business.

If you don't like it, ignore the kickstart campaign.

I still don't get why anyone outside the company feels like their opinion should count on businesses related issues when they have nothing to do with it.

of course you dont get it cause ... you Cant Understand Normal Thinking .....
      Happens everyday thru every walk of life .. even you .. you have never walked into a store , shop ... etc .. and wow .. why would they do/pay for this ..Why would they do things this way?... Why does this cost X ... WTF are they thinking ... ?"

Thinking about a price of products at the store is not the same thing at all.

When you are buying groceries you don't care about if Kellogg  hired a videographer to document their next cereal. 

You care about the price, the ingredients etc....

Will 80,000k video guy change the price of Crowfall?  It won't. 

Again when it comes to business issues - if you are not a stakeholder and it's not law breaking issue or public safety issue - it's none of your concern. 

Bottom line here - this kickstarter changes nothing for future players of crowfall, and anyone who doesn't like it - just ignore it.

Wow .. reading comprehension .. My response does not adress just price ... it adresses any function any business may incorporate(and pricing) ..    hence .. "Why would they do things this way ?"