Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Derek Smart's 'New' List of Demands

Comments

• hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    DKLond said:
    I don't think Derek Smart has been relevant in gaming since he proved himself incapable of fixing BC3000AD back in the ancient days. I still remember buying into the hype and trying to tell myself I hadn't wasted my time and money, which was a process that went on for years until I finally gave up on it.

Star Citizen does seem like the ideal opportunity to turn your own massive failure into something else and use the publicity for destructive and selfish purposes.

If Star Citizen succeeds in being a good game, I wonder what level of delusion it will take to remain in denial about being so obviously inferior as a developer.
    I read: "I made a mistake once, and i'll happily buy into a new hype and do it again!"
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Well you have to agree he is a dreamy mofo tho... 

Not much more to add at this point. Between the self proclaimed troll and the megalomaniac i am not sure who will come out on top... But it sure will be interesting. 

This have been a good conversation

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Cloud Imperium Games)

Jul 30, 11:43

Hi there

Thanks for your patience.

I am happy to confirm that I have now issued a refund for $75 via Stripe. Please note that it may take a few days for the refund to be fully processed.

Should you have any further concerns or questions, please let me know.

Regards
    xxxxxxx

Customer Service Manager & Lead Moderator
    Cloud Imperium Games

I will wait till I see a game.

• Matticus75Matticus75 Member UncommonPosts: 396
    Im with Mr Smart on this one, that's my 2 cents
  • MrBum21MrBum21 Member UncommonPosts: 405
    tawess said:
    Not much more to add at this point. Between the self proclaimed troll and the megalomaniac i am not sure who will come out on top... But it sure will be interesting. 
    even if SC tanks horribly bad, the people who win are fans of space sims.  Before SC started it's kickstarter those fans were ignored, but since SC there have been a lot of games popping up.  Not all of them will be good, and I don't think any game will be the picture that Roberts painted, but the fans will have their games, and that to me is a win.

the missing link in a chain of destruction.

All spelling and typographical errors are based soely on the fact that i just dont care. If you must point out my lack of atention to detail, please do it with a smile.

• DKLondDKLond Member RarePosts: 2,273
    edited August 2015
    hfztt said:
    DKLond said:
    I don't think Derek Smart has been relevant in gaming since he proved himself incapable of fixing BC3000AD back in the ancient days. I still remember buying into the hype and trying to tell myself I hadn't wasted my time and money, which was a process that went on for years until I finally gave up on it.

Star Citizen does seem like the ideal opportunity to turn your own massive failure into something else and use the publicity for destructive and selfish purposes.

If Star Citizen succeeds in being a good game, I wonder what level of delusion it will take to remain in denial about being so obviously inferior as a developer.
    I read: "I made a mistake once, and i'll happily buy into a new hype and do it again!"
    I don't know what to write to people who can't read, as any statement would seem quite prone to miscommunication.

But, I'll try:

I'm human, I make mistakes. I'm not psychic and I can't predict the future.

However, I've learned something about Derek Smart, and that's that he's not developing games that I want to play. He also strikes me as a person in utter denial about his own human flaws - almost like he can't see how pathetic his attack on another developer is, especially given the quality of his own work and the alpha state of Star Citizen, which is one of the boldest visions I've ever come across. That's not to say it's wrong to be sceptical - but I think there are ways to express it with more decency.

Chris Roberts has made several games that would feature in my top 10 space games of all time, and I really like what I'm hearing when I hear him talk about Star Citizen. I'm also very impressed by what they've accomplished so far, given the scope and fidelity of the project.

I don't expect SC to be everything they hope it will be - and I very much doubt they'll deliver on all their promises. But I don't know that I've ever played a great game that lived up to all pre-release dreams. That's not how developing bold games works, as reality tends to get in the way of hopes and dreams.

But unless it outright fails, it seems very likely that it'll be an amazing space game. That's all that matters to me, really.
  • Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152
    I don't expect SC to be the saving grace that a lot of people are hailing it as.  But I do expect SC to be a quality + good game that will provide a good amount of fun. This is just purely going by CR's past track record when it comes to PC games.

I can't speak on Derek Smart since non of his games appeal to me. I am sure there are people that enjoy playing his games, I am just not one of them. To each there own in that regards.

I will wait for SC to be finished before I jump on any bandwagons calling it vaporware, ect. Just because a project has a crap tone of money does not mean it is going to get finished faster. Sometimes more money can just slow a project down even more.
  • vadio123vadio123 Member UncommonPosts: 593
    Sorry to say that but whole SC project manage is fall , many waste money,,, but sc have enough money to finish but dont expect finish soon , because lack manager skills
  • JonBonJawaJonBonJawa Member UncommonPosts: 489
    edited August 2015
    can we please close everything related to this clown developer? I´m scared he pops up again
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    MrBum21 said:
    tawess said:
    even if SC tanks horribly bad, the people who win are fans of space sims.  Before SC started it's kickstarter those fans were ignored, but since SC there have been a lot of games popping up.  Not all of them will be good, and I don't think any game will be the picture that Roberts painted, but the fans will have their games, and that to me is a win.
    That is a very good point indeed. =) 

This have been a good conversation

• JonBonJawaJonBonJawa Member UncommonPosts: 489
    Originally posted by JonBonJawa

Dear Mr. Smart, based on the information that is freely available on the net about you, such as reviews of your games, your posting history of banning, insulting people and threatening with lawsuits for breakfast, where would you rank yourself on a credibility scale from 1-10, as a succesful genre veteran and self declared Internet Warlord ?

Holy cow, LOL. With that track record and attitude I think the only thing he can demand is a BigMac at McDonalds. Laughable.

well, at least he thinks he has credibility
  • hfztthfztt Member RarePosts: 1,401
    And thanks to sites like this very one where they interviewed him and let him rant unchecked like an angry twelve year old, they allowed his rather unprofessional, childish and completely unfounded accusations far more credibility and legitimacy then ever they deserved. So Smart feeling he's triumphed isn't all that surprising, and possibly isn't inaccurate. If you are allowed to tell a lie enough times to get other people to tell it as well, it will very soon become truth, whether its a fiction or not.
    They were not unfounded accusations, they where relevant questions and they needed to be adressed, which CIG actually did a few weeks later.

Wins all around.
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    hfztt said:
    And thanks to sites like this very one where they interviewed him and let him rant unchecked like an angry twelve year old, they allowed his rather unprofessional, childish and completely unfounded accusations far more credibility and legitimacy then ever they deserved. So Smart feeling he's triumphed isn't all that surprising, and possibly isn't inaccurate. If you are allowed to tell a lie enough times to get other people to tell it as well, it will very soon become truth, whether its a fiction or not.
    They were not unfounded accusations, they where relevant questions and they needed to be adressed, which CIG actually did a few weeks later.

Wins all around.Agree but you can't tell them that, it goes against the "Derek is the antichrist" campaign. 

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    hfztt said:

Wins all around.Agree but you can't tell them that, it goes against the "Derek is the antichrist" campaign. 
    Meh.... win-win is debatable. Remember how long this "debate" has been going on for now. Fact of the matter is that every minute monitoring and trying to respond to what Derek Smart is posting takes away from what the execs at CIG should be doing, giving direction to the people making the game. Instead, they're probably running around asking their experts (development staff) stupid questions about technology that they don't understand so they can have something intelligent to say. It might be a win for Derek because he gets to profile his own game, but I personally wouldn't have been touting my own product when it's in a horrible state of disrepair itself. I think that the any time that you get up on stage, like the Internet, and stir the pot, you better damn well be certain you have a product to back up your talk, and he doesn't. In fact, I would say that the Gamescom demo, say what you will, makes Derek's LOD look..... amateurish, on almost every level. 

So win-win? IDK 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616

Seems a reasonable audit to me to see if they are actually fullfilling their end of the deal. If they have nothing to hide....then it should be an easy audit. Even if Derek smarts is a scumbag they should still show if they are actually spending their fiancer's money correctly.

MurderHerd

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Mr. Smart has made a lot of valid points. Forget your personal opinions of him just look at the facts.

• user547user547 Member UncommonPosts: 150
    Nah, no need to do anything to appease the industry interloper Derek "The Sociopath" Smart.  He doesn't matter.
  • SmartySmartSmartySmart Member UncommonPosts: 312
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcissistic_personality_disorder

No more Smart please  O.o

I had my dose and my psychological curiosity is satisfied :pleased: 

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    Zezda said:

derek smart, Derek Smart, DEREK SMART!

+1  I laughed
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,905

Seems a reasonable audit to me to see if they are actually fullfilling their end of the deal. If they have nothing to hide....then it should be an easy audit. Even if Derek smarts is a scumbag they should still show if they are actually spending their fiancer's money correctly.
    There's no justification for them to open all of their books to anyone.  That's never going to happen.  I predict his case gets thrown out of court.  There will be no settlement.  But hopefully they make it easy for any KS donors that want one to get refunds (and lose access to their stuff).
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    I know really nothing about Star Citizen, but all this crap with Smart makes me want to support them.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Horusra said:
    I know really nothing about Star Citizen, but all this crap with Smart makes me want to support them.
    Naw... they got plenty of support as it is

Just sit back and enjoy the ride ;)

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• FirstKnight117FirstKnight117 Member UncommonPosts: 109
    Had to get the popcorn for this one.

A lot of posters have pointed out "well maybe Smart is a greedy narcissist sociopath :: BUT hey, he's right to ask SC to waste time doing an open audit available to the general public!"

Okay so I'll play. No ad hominem attacks on Smart. Is dragging RSI/SC into a costly legal battle the best way to ever see this game get made? Do they not communicate what they are doing? It seems to me something of this scale and scope would take a reasonably long time to get right. Sure, we'd all like to see some sort of full financial audit about where every penny went. I'm still not sure how that actually makes everything clear and builds confidence in what they are doing. I don't think after the amount of work they are putting into this that it's vaporware.

IMO. I guess Smart, being the developer god and genius he is, knows better :: oops. Ad hominem and all that. Sorry impulse control ::
  • Squadron24Squadron24 Member UncommonPosts: 121
    edited August 2015
    This funny video satire sums it up.
    not the best subtitling but it seems to be made by an Italian, and I giggled

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myGYnZ-ryiw

and here the first preview of Smarts basement masterpiece with 3 players, maybe posted before but still hilarious

German magazine preview of Defense Line
    (turn on subtitles)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7n29gEV18w

aaaaand this was my 24th post guys.
    Post edited by Squadron24 on
    Enlist and reserve your name for Star Citizen/Squadron 42 with my referral link and get 5,000 free game credits   https://robertsspaceindustries.com/enlist?referral=STAR-RRVV-M5TH   (gives free stuff to both of us!)  B) 
  • cormachcormach Member UncommonPosts: 98
    He may or may not have valid points, but I still remember Battlecruiser 3000AD, and spending a long time trying to get it to work, only to find the game was a buggy mess.  

After that, anything that has the name Derek Smart attached to it, I stay far, far away.