Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Aces & eights

Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
I been looking for a nice western P&P game a while, have anyone played this one?

I want something that isn't supernatural, I am thinking about setting up something similar to Deadwood for the players but there are few good systems around. From looking around this seems to be the one with best user score...

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671
    I have a couple of the core books for the aces-n-8's system. There is aton of free tools on the kenzer website.
    The only issue I had is that things slowed down bit time during combat. Sorting who goes first and he shot clock took some time. If your group can pick up the combat system quickly, it will be fun. The system is a roleplayers dream.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    lugal said:
    I have a couple of the core books for the aces-n-8's system. There is aton of free tools on the kenzer website.
    The only issue I had is that things slowed down bit time during combat. Sorting who goes first and he shot clock took some time. If your group can pick up the combat system quickly, it will be fun. The system is a roleplayers dream.
    I usually don't run campaigns with constant combat anyways, and as I plan for something a bit like Deadwood there will be more focus on intrigues and roleplaying with the occasional gunfight to get things exciting. Thanks for the tip. :)

Loktofeit: hey, there is supposed to be a queen in there, not a 9. The reason is that it was the hand Wild Bill Hickock had when he was shot in the back (in the town of Deadwood). It's been called "DEad mans hand" ever since. :)
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Loke666 said:
    lugal said:
    I usually don't run campaigns with constant combat anyways, and as I plan for something a bit like Deadwood there will be more focus on intrigues and roleplaying with the occasional gunfight to get things exciting. Thanks for the tip. :)

Loktofeit: hey, there is supposed to be a queen in there, not a 9. The reason is that it was the hand Wild Bill Hickock had when he was shot in the back (in the town of Deadwood). It's been called "DEad mans hand" ever since. :)
    Pirate 101 has a unique take on that tale. :) 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671
    After I read your post, I was bothered all day about this article I read.
    I'll message you as well the link.
    http://www.thecommunitypaper.com/archive/2010/04_22/index.php

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    lugal said:
    After I read your post, I was bothered all day about this article I read.
    I'll message you as well the link.
    http://www.thecommunitypaper.com/archive/2010/04_22/index.php

Great story there, thanks. :)

I must say that I am surprised no-one made a western MMO yet, Rockstar really should make a Red dead online.

I will anyways spend a month or so researching the period to make things right. Already seen the HBO show and did some basic research as well as some ideas for the campaign. 

I was thinking something around the lines of our heroes arriving into town with a mining rights deed won in poker and a handful dollar. One evening just after they started to look for gold they witness a brutal murder....

And I usually make things sandboxy and letting the players choose side, planning events that will happen unless the players changes things. Maybe they wont give a crap about the murder and planning to rob the coach or trying to become the first sheriff of the new mining town so far set on indian land. It depends on the characters they roll and how they play them.
  • SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    I'll second that. A western MMO would be awesome. Saddle up and shoot 'em down!

• MM037MM037 Member UncommonPosts: 3
    Would be interesting to see an MMO or even just an online co-op game made from the board game Shadows of Brimstone.  It's a Western theme dungeon crawl with horror mixed in.