Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronicles of Elyria | Design Journal #3 – Incapacitation, Spirit Walking, and Permadeath | MMORPG

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited August 2015 in News & Features Discussion

imageChronicles of Elyria | Design Journal #3 – Incapacitation, Spirit Walking, and Permadeath | MMORPG

Explore the difference between incapacitating and killing someone, what happens when your soul is separated from your body, why family is important when you’re facing the grave, and what people can loot off you when slain - All in this week’s Chronicles of Elyria Design Journal.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• mesmerisemesmerise Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Isn't this the fourth design journal?

• DerryFHDerryFH Member UncommonPosts: 57
    Deja vu?
  • ZultraZultra Member UncommonPosts: 385
    It's a typo they happen lol.
    Sign up for Chronicles of Elyria here don't forget to use my friend code - B4ACB3

Join the revolutionary MMO! 
  • RhaegysRhaegys Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Maybe that's the easter egg! 4 = 3 in Elyria
  • demodardemodar Member UncommonPosts: 63
    We want gameplay stop advertising ideas . Here is a great idea world peace , unless we see it working , its just an idea
  • ZultraZultra Member UncommonPosts: 385
    demodar said:
    We want gameplay stop advertising ideas . Here is a great idea world peace , unless we see it working , its just an idea
    Soon.
    Sign up for Chronicles of Elyria here don't forget to use my friend code - B4ACB3

Join the revolutionary MMO! 
  • AmarokWAmarokW Member UncommonPosts: 4
    mesmerise said:
    Isn't this the fourth design journal?
    yes it is
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Fixed, guys. :)

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• danwest58danwest58 Member RarePosts: 2,012
    well now there is a new idea, Permadeath, and full corps looting. /rollseyes.
  • GroundlessGroundless Member UncommonPosts: 42
    If players in PVP have the option to Coup De Grace after combat, they will do it every single time, which sounds like it does reduce your overall lifespan because it reduces your spirit and thus your ability to return back to your body. I can't imagine there will be enough NPCs around or guards to witness and punish players for doing this in a massive open world. I am concerned about the high potential for griefing, you always have to account for the worst type of person finding out exploits and abusing these type of mechanics.
  • LucchenoLuccheno Member UncommonPosts: 65
    edited August 2015
    If players in PVP have the option to Coup De Grace after combat, they will do it every single time, which sounds like it does reduce your overall lifespan because it reduces your spirit and thus your ability to return back to your body. I can't imagine there will be enough NPCs around or guards to witness and punish players for doing this in a massive open world. I am concerned about the high potential for griefing, you always have to account for the worst type of person finding out exploits and abusing these type of mechanics.
    There will be punishment for people that "break the law" and do coup de grace. So... You can indeed do it, but the harsh punishment you risk facing will prevent it from becoming something global. After all, will you even have enough skill to "coup de grace" someone, if you spend half your life in prison wasting? Most people look at this from the point "people will break the law because they always do". The difference here, is similar to the real world: you actually have a harsh impact on ur game if caught... And in CoE it is way easier to get caught than in real life so............. Still think that after the first few arrests, people will think 2/3/4/5 times before they do it LOL
    demodar said:
    Most games present you with a set course and "make you think" your opinions have a weight, when really, they only serve for bug finding. Here at least they are sharing they're ideas bit by bit so that when a gameplay appears, it is already a product of sharing between devs and community... Can't see a problem in that ;) Would you rather them just ask for money? :)
  • Roman291Roman291 Member UncommonPosts: 104
    edited August 2015
    It is good to see permadeath is not permadead, but not my cup of tea.
  • FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433
    These sound like very refreshing ideas. I hope they actually manage to execute them well though.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    edited August 2015
    What about corpse camping? Someone who's incapacitated and instead of killing them, the attacker just stands there waiting for them to wake-up so they can just do it again, and again, and... Oh, and what's being done in advance to stop gold sellers?

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• DelCabonDelCabon Member UncommonPosts: 258
    Had never even heard of this game before seeing this article. Very happy to see some innovative ideas. I really like the idea of having a "family" with relevance as opposed to the often limited guild moniker. Will definitely be following.

Del Cabon
    A US Army ('Just Cause') Vet and MMORPG Native formerly of Trinsic, Norath and Dereth. Currently playing LOTRO. 

• DivyneDivyne Member UncommonPosts: 37
    Aww man, was really interested in this game, but now it seems its going to be FFA PVP? Bleh.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
     Guess these guys didnt pay much attention to what happened to Wizardry Online.....
  • acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    Not one for FFA PvP, but all this sounds pretty interesting, and is honestly the best thought out (and explained) permadeath / looting system I have seen. I especially love that your fame has a direct effect on the spirit penalty for death, so lowly peasants can respawn while kings (and hopefully infamous bandits / murders) stay dead. Keep up the good work.
  • MurmelixMurmelix Member UncommonPosts: 53
    est.rel 2016 - sounds really optimistic :) thats hell of a game engine, they plan there
  • kemono55kemono55 Member UncommonPosts: 124
    Wow, this is so close to my own notes for my "hobby project" it's scary.

Needless to say, I like what I read.
  • BluefishBluefish Member UncommonPosts: 96
    Sounds like solo players will suffer an extra disadvantage when they die. Interesting idea though, I like the idea of losing spirit each time you die, it's a less obvious way of including 'fate points' or whatever Trials of Ascension was calling them.
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    DelCabon said:
    Had never even heard of this game before seeing this article. Very happy to see some innovative ideas. I really like the idea of having a "family" with relevance as opposed to the often limited guild moniker. Will definitely be following.
    How does having to pay the price of an expansion every time you have to start a new family members career sound?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• User836User836 Member UncommonPosts: 117
    Distopia said:
    DelCabon said:
    How does having to pay the price of an expansion every time you have to start a new family members career sound?
    For me it depends on how much enjoyment I would expect to get out of a new character. If this happens to turn out an amazing game then a prize like that will be nothing I think twice about. I won't (and I don't) pay even a little bit for a game I don't enjoy playing but for a good quality game that I enjoy I'd be prepared to pay quite a bit, just like with any other type of product.

I can understand that with a bland choice between near-identical clone games the price tag can be the determining factor when some people make a choice, just as when you have a choice between two similar products of equal quality but different price but how can it be such an alien notion when it comes to computer games that some products are pricier because of higher quality/exclusivity/limited edition (=few players)/high development cost/different target audience/whatever reason? If the price is worth it to me, I'll pay it. If it's too expensive or if I'm not interested in the product, I won't.

BTW not specifically defending this game, it's way too early for me to know if I would enjoy it. I'm just making a general observation here.
  • sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    So... I get KO'd, then as I enter the Astral Plane, my internet drops out. I die for reals. This would be fine, where they not charging for extra lives. They do intend to charge for extra lives. This is not fine.
  • ShortyBibleShortyBible Member UncommonPosts: 409
    I won't voice an opinion on this as yet. I want to know what punishment the player killer faces.
    I will say that I have no qualms about playing a game like this.