Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If you could create a class for a major game

Comments

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    I would create a OracleSummoner. This class would be a pet summoning class. It could dual wield two pets at the same time. It would also be able to predict the other opponents moves but having the ability to intuitively counter attacks for a set time of course. This would be a mana class with relatively low Hp. The pets would be stronger then most classes being able to tank and beat other players one on one. The way to counter my class would be to kill me not the pets.

Great idea mate. Would be a tough class to beat in PvP for sure

• mrrshann618mrrshann618 Member UncommonPosts: 279
    Noxeron said:
    A spear and shield class. For every class based medieval fantasy game that doesn't have one.
    LoTRO has a warden class and it is FUN. Main weapons are Shield, Spear, and Javelin. Combat is a mixture of 3 moves that build in a combination (gambit) which you can release for special effects. For example a Thrust + shield bash gambit is released as a kick that interrupts the enemy.

There are tons of gambits based on how you use your 3 basic maneuvers. I've always wanted this class to appear in other games.
    Play what you Like. I like SWOTR, Have a referral to get you going!
    -->  http://www.swtor.com/r/nBndbs  <--
    Several Unlocks and a few days game time to make the F2P considerably easier
  • DztBlkDztBlk Member UncommonPosts: 127
    edited August 2015
    To my knowledge there is nothing  close to the controller class I used to play in CoH.  A class solely developed for crowd manipulation and buff/debuff.  I could be wrong as I have limited gameplay, but to understand the set http://paragonwiki.com/wiki/Controller.   NO!  Don't give me examples like "the summoner" in Blade and Soul, "the engineer" in WidlStar, or "the necromancer" in GW2.  They're not bad, but AGAIN the lack variations and options and a focus on damage doesn't make it the same.
  • DavirokDavirok Member UncommonPosts: 75
    edited August 2015
    I've never understood why there's not a single Shapeshifter class in modern mmos. I really miss the old Diablo 2 Druid. 
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    A DnD Battle-Mage. A Tank that uses weapons much like a Paladin but 75% of his DPS comes from Magic. Fire AoE, DDs, Blink spells all wrapped up in heavy armor. I think there could be 3 specs: 1. Tank (DPS set low and mitigation high) with long ranged spells for pulling and aggro. AoE for taunting 2. Mid to close ranged DPS spec. All the fun of a Mage, less squishy but shorter range. Based mostly off AoE. 3. Support/DPS, Over fire spec into Arcane that has stuns and other CC spells. Basics of it would be 20% melee, 40% DPS 40% CC. Maybe some buffs to help melee or casters.

My hope is the freedom EQN is making into their skill system, I will be able to make this class something real =-) We will see lol
  • DztBlkDztBlk Member UncommonPosts: 127
    Nanfoodle said:
    A DnD Battle-Mage. A Tank that uses weapons much like a Paladin but 75% of his DPS comes from Magic. Fire AoE, DDs, Blink spells all wrapped up in heavy armor. I think there could be 3 specs: 1. Tank (DPS set low and mitigation high) with long ranged spells for pulling and aggro. AoE for taunting 2. Mid to close ranged DPS spec. All the fun of a Mage, less squishy but shorter range. Based mostly off AoE. 3. Support/DPS, Over fire spec into Arcane that has stuns and other CC spells. Basics of it would be 20% melee, 40% DPS 40% CC. Maybe some buffs to help melee or casters.

My hope is the freedom EQN is making into their skill system, I will be able to make this class something real =-) We will see lol
    Yea I love tanks that can really take a beating and have massive aggro.  It would be nice to have one that didn't necessarily have to carry a friggin sword.  Axes and hammers are slightly different, but a fire, ice, or some other type of tank would be cool too.  Though I do love swinging hammers!  Diversity would be great.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Nanfoodle said:

The name doesn't sound right though. The D&D term is actually "swordmage" but it is a lame 4th edition name.

War wizard would be a bit better but still somewhat cheesy... Firedancer?
    Loke666 said:
    Nanfoodle said:

The name doesn't sound right though. The D&D term is actually "swordmage" but it is a lame 4th edition name.

DnD Battle Mage was a med armor class with fighter rogue skills. I personally have dreamed of it morphing into am opposite of a but unlike the Shadowknight more Mage skills like the Battle Mage has classicly. I picture each spec using different magic. Tank Fire, DPS Lighting, Support Arcane. With each spec being able to use some from each line much like we did in WoW, of corse with less impact and power.  
    edited August 2015
    Nanfoodle said:
    Loke666 said:
    Nanfoodle said:

DnD Battle Mage was a med armor class with fighter rogue skills. I personally have dreamed of it morphing into am opposite of a but unlike the Shadowknight more Mage skills like the Battle Mage has classicly. I picture each spec using different magic. Tank Fire, DPS Lighting, Support Arcane. With each spec being able to use some from each line much like we did in WoW, of corse with less impact and power.  
    Yeah, it does sounds really fun, I just don't like the name.

And battlemage have also been used as a term for mages who cast AoE spells in larger battles.

Nah, there must be a better name for it. Spellsword?
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I think some iteration of vampire could nearly always find a home. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• DaemonyteDaemonyte Member UncommonPosts: 1
    If I could, I would make something unique. Something I haven't played before. I would like to see a warrior dual wielding a shield that can attack in melee and range (projectiles coming off the shield). 

If it was a starwars game I would make a force shield wielding jedi. Yea I like shields. Never seen one of these yet.

Loke666 said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Loke666 said:
    Nanfoodle said:

Yeah, it does sounds really fun, I just don't like the name.

And battlemage have also been used as a term for mages who cast AoE spells in larger battles.

Nah, there must be a better name for it. Spellsword?
    Name means little to me as well but DnD thought it up not me lol. Spellsword is cool unless you want to equip a hammer =-) Or Daggers. 
    Amathe said:
    In that case you would need to make it really interesting, not the cliche vamps we see in games like Forsake world.

But sure, you could make it into an interesting class.  Being able to turn into a wolf, a bat and mist, commanding rats and so on. The Warhammer books about Geneviève Dieudonné would be excellent inspiration (good books BTW). Having powers that cost blood which you need to replenish by biting people...

Yeah, I could see it working.
  • kemono55kemono55 Member UncommonPosts: 124
    I'd like to one day get the chance to play something a bit more down to earth.
    I get that its neat to play the hero, but there is 101 of these games, where everyone is the hero.

Something a bit more mundane, like "shop keeper", "gravedigger", "beggar", "politician", "city guard",
    I'd like to try those things as main profession one day. 

Amathe said:

I personally and sick to death of Undead and Demon theme in video games. Can we pls get over this fad???
  • Roman291Roman291 Member UncommonPosts: 104
    I really want a cronomancer or crono-mage.
    kemono55 said:
    I'd like to one day get the chance to play something a bit more down to earth.
    I get that its neat to play the hero, but there is 101 of these games, where everyone is the hero.

Something a bit more mundane, like "shop keeper", "gravedigger", "beggar", "politician", "city guard",
    I'd like to try those things as main profession one day. 

Lol, too bad War didn't go for Warhammers fantasy RPGs original mechanics then. There you start out as rat catcher, tom robber,, postillion and other glamorus classes and then slowly work yourself up to the cooler classes as you play.
  • kemono55kemono55 Member UncommonPosts: 124
    Loke666 said:
    Lol, too bad War didn't go for Warhammers fantasy RPGs original mechanics then. There you start out as rat catcher, tom robber,, postillion and other glamorus classes and then slowly work yourself up to the cooler classes as you play.
    OMG, I didn't think anyone actually remembered that game... or rather, that mmo that ended up as vaporware.

I was really into WFRP at that time also...
  • BitripBitrip Member UncommonPosts: 279
    I have always been a fan of Druids and Time Manipulation (mutually exclusive). If a game could effectively make a class with a legit time control mechanic, I would be all over it.

Now, which one of you will adorn me today?

• GrymmoireGrymmoire Member UncommonPosts: 181
    I like playing non-humanoids whenever possible. Therefore I envision a Stickwalker possessing the following:

* Humanoid body type (human model for easier animations and integration) modified with a tree appearance, slender, bark-like skin texture; colorings of white, browns, grays and bluish-black.

* Height of 8-10 feet as compared to a typical MMO game human.

* "Hair" consisting of closely aligned branches in differing styles, covered with leaves, perhaps even permitting vibrant "bush" type colors (reds, yellows, orange-reds purples) for variety. Bald avatars would be just bare branches.

* Markings could be moss, mottling, knotholes, scars and carvings.

*Slender "ropey" arms with long, slender "branch" 5 digit fingers, perhaps woven or knotted before the fingers ended.

* Slender legs that end in "root-like" feet. Keep feet exposed and allow armor slot but have it be a hidden one.

Here are two more I created as unusual concepts:

Toymaker - Mage

DESCRIPTION
    Toymakers are mages who employ magical energies to hinder and damage their foes. Being a bit of a jokester, they delight in creating harmless looking creations, that surprise the enemy with their destructive forces.

Strengths
    Toymakers' magical creations, are unique, as they appear quite harmless, but store magical energies that spring upon unsuspecting targets. Many of the Toymaker's creations are employed on a single target; however, they do have some area of effect creations that can affect large groups of foes.

Weaknesses
    Most of the Toymaker's creations take time to correctly form, thus giving enemies a chance to rush in and do their damage. Toymakers are susceptible to silencing spells, and have a chance to be disrupted when hit by melee and direct magical attacks. Due to the agility necessary to create her magical creations, the Toymaker is limited to cloth armor and thus has a low defense rating. They are also more frail than other non-magical professions, therefore have less health and stamina.

ABILITIES

Jack's Box - The Toymaker creates and tosses a Jack-in-the-Box at his enemy which springs open, dealing crushing damage.

Cat's Cradle - The Toymaker creates a mass of sticky, patterned string, which tangles her target's feet, rooting them in place.

Sandbox -The Toymaker creates and places a Sandbox in the enemy area which slows movement by 75% and drains energy, stamina and health by X%, returning Y% to the Toymaker.

Balloons - The Toymaker creates a random, animated balloon creature that charges the enemy doing:

1 Point: x crushing damage
    2 Points: y crushing damage
    3 Points: z crushing damage

The creature then explodes dealing 2\4\6 wind damage and knocking the enemy down for 1\3\5 seconds

Monkey Shines - The Toymaker creates a vicious Sock Monkey, which pelts her target with coconuts, causing X crushing damage per second, while stunning them for 5 seconds.

Shroud - Mage

DESCRIPTION
    Shrouds are incorporeal beings who can levitate above ground, and who float in battle. They can shape-shift into a corporeal Barghest.

Strengths
    In their Shroud form, they specialize in sound, which they use to seduce, mesmerize, silence, incapacitate or even kill their foes. They can also spread a cone of absorption to briefly shield friends. Damage can be focused at single targets or as AOEs. In their Barghest form, they attack by goring with their claws and tearing with sharp fangs, both of which, inflict an acid attack. They can also cause panic by a Howl of Fear. In either form, they possess a high movement speed, but low armor and are immune to sleep and other charm-type attacks.

Weaknesses
    Shrouds are susceptible to all forms of enchanted and spectral based weapons; silencing spells. Shrouds are restricted to cloth armor. While in Barghest form, they may only do melee damage with their claws and fangs. Barghests have a leathery, scaled hide which can be damaged by all weapons and magical attacks, but incur extra damage from blessed weapons.

ABILITIES

Keening Wail -Sends several orbs at the target dealing sound damage.

Ancestor's Shroud - An enveloping sound field that provides absorption armor.

Ringing Ears - A shrill scream that inflicts damage over time, along with a stun.

Fae's Seduction - Chanting that spews a stream of winged fae, who seduce the target, charming them into attacking their nearest friendly unit. Fae inflict x choking damage over y seconds.

Barghest - The Shroud shape-shifts into a fierce, 6 foot long Barghest, that swiftly charges and leaps on the enemy, stunning it for x seconds. He then attacks with fang and claws, dealing x acid damage over y seconds. Also uses Howl of Fear, an instant cast, which forces up to 3 attacking enemies to run away for x seconds.

• TyranusPrimeTyranusPrime Member UncommonPosts: 306
    So much I want to say and can't.. lol..

Still, very informative reading all the answers so far.. Keep 'em coming.. :)

..because we're gamers, damn it!! - William Massachusetts (Log Horizon)

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    In SWG you could play a Hair Stylist, Chef, or Interior Decorator... so I guess you could add Janitor, House Keeper, or Garbage Man to the list of Star Warsy classes that game could have had... You remember in the second movie all those Ice World garbage men... Boy, Raph and SOE sure nailed the Star Wars movies with SWG... *cough*

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

kemono55 said:
    Loke666 said:
    OMG, I didn't think anyone actually remembered that game... or rather, that mmo that ended up as vaporware.

I was really into WFRP at that time also...
    Still have the first edition hardback in my bookshelf, might be taking it out for a new campaign this winter... 

WAR wasn't really vaporware though, the problem is just that I don't think anyone at Mythic ever played more GW products than maybe a little Blood bowl. WAR was very loosely based on the miniature game and they should have based in on the RPG game instead, preferably after forcing the crew to play "The enemy within" campaign to really get a feel for the IP.

It is too bad, actually changing careers as you play would have been awesome.

Bitrip said:
    I have always been a fan of Druids and Time Manipulation (mutually exclusive). If a game could effectively make a class with a legit time control mechanic, I would be all over it.
    GW2 is adding a specialty class for the mesmer doing just that. How well it actually works in the game is a good question though.
  • JigkiroJigkiro Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Granted it's not really creating a class, but I'd really love to have a class like Bluemage in FFXI. I loved having to go around and learn spells from mobs. Was a lot of fun, and then selecting which ones you wanted to slot for passive abilities and whatnot. Was great fun and making me want to play it again. ._.;

[PS4: Jigkiro] | [Steam: Jigkiro]