Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What's the best MMORPG you've ever played?

Comments

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

My 1st MMO was WOW, but after leading raid after raid and dealing with extremely large guild issues as an officer I got burned out and left. I've played many MMO's, but my favorite all time has to be SWTOR due to its story and being Star Wars.

Currently Playing: SWTOR, ESO, WOT, and Marvel Heroes.

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    GW1 & GW2.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• PalaPala Member UncommonPosts: 356
    edited August 2015
    Anarchy Online, first and best, never recaptured the feeling of working with my guild to build our city, never recaptured the teamwork on my soldier (off tank) or crat (crowd control), never felt the excitement of new zones again or twinking and doing shit loads of maths to maximize my toon. the grid, and so on. Running to another city to get that implant so I could scale up, my first flying craft, standing around and buffing people while chatting (please buff :)). 

Questing in tombs at around level 30 kept me going for 20 something hours until my laptop fried itself and died on me. 

Then killing those stone creatures for hours with a team to level up alts quickly, making my way into penunbra. Ok I have to stop that was an amazing game.

The PVP and the drama, the kind guild leader and other guildmates.  Still remember their names after 10 years and many games in between.

Never had any of that again in many other MMOs I have tried. I would hapilly pay over 500Eur for that experience again, I have spennt alot more on various things that were not as satisfying. But its probably not possibel because I am not that 22 year old anymore. 
  • RecantRecant Member UncommonPosts: 1,586
    EverQuest 1 1999-2005, was the most compelling gaming experience of my life - and it's not easy to explain why.  I could write entire books about how that game was more interesting than any real life thing I had going on.  The only game to come close to this in terms of sheer immersion and community "energy" was World of Warcraft, until Cataclysm.   I tried others, and I know that people love to bash WoW, but I think EQ and WoW are deservedly recognised for being the amazing experiences they were (are - kinda).

EQ2 was alright - it did some interesting things.  Vanguard was trying to recapture past glories instead of trying to create new ones.

Wish there were a magic formula to make god-tier MMOs, but there isn't.  One day, maybe soon, a game will come along and make a huge impact again.  Until then, real life is more compelling than MMORPGs are right now.

Still waiting for your Holy Grail MMORPG? Interesting...

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985
    best mmo ive played would be defo the orginal darkfall..

That game was simply amazing 

Only player skilled mmo.. i havent found any mmo that comes close to it..

Without a doubt it was DarkFall Online for me as well. What an incredible experience that game was; I'd still be subbed if it was still running. 

EVE comes a close second. I've been playing since '05 so it's got to be doing something right.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• AzAsheronAzAsheron Member UncommonPosts: 12
    The first Guild Wars for sure. Even though I was young and stupid back then and didn't know how to build a decent character, I just played and had fun without caring about being geared up or being the best. Those were the days.
  • lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476
    Age of Conan. By far. Half because the game is great, half because i found my guild there. Oh the memories!
  • DJcarlo23DJcarlo23 Member UncommonPosts: 4
    Ultima online and Vindictus 
  • MystaMysta Member UncommonPosts: 94
    Vardahoth said:
    Started Playing in 2001.

My first MMORPG was ragnarok online. After two years I had 4 level 99 toons, and could accomplish anything in game. After this I felt it was time to move on to another game.

My 2nd was priston tales. It was good, but when I saw lineage 2, i went to that instead.

My 3rd and best was lineage 2. The quality of the people on that game and the friends/enemies I made were far off the scale compared to today's games. I played the game for about 80-100 hours a week for about 6 years. I was very infamous to the server, but known as a good guy. The fact that everything you did actually mattered and had an impact on the server I thought was awesome in itself.

I quit Lineage 2 when God of Destruction patch came out and the game went free to play. Reasons I quit Lineage 2?

• Cash shop gear was the best gear in game destroying my view of it being a game vs a business. I hear people are spending $10,000 a month normally on this game now, then complain after gambling that away and not having got what they wanted. I thank god I quit during this patch.
    • All 6 starter towns were destroyed and there was only 1 starter town for all races.
    • All leveling became instanced.
    • All 40 classes became submerged into only 8 classes
    • In game currency no longer drops in game. The only way to get in game currency is by opening your wallet.
    • leveling became fast forwarding. Imagine players spending years to hit level 75/80/85, when now 85 can be done in 3 days.
    • Bots and the gm's banning legit players for complaining about bots instead of banning the farmers and bots themselves.
    • All pvp became auto scripted. HP Pots, CP Pots, Elixers, Oly pots, special items all on auto use. Auto retarget for canceling out the detarget skills some of the classes had. Auto target assist based upon class/distance/hp (which you couldn't view the players hp or level legitly). Auto cancel buffs to cancel out the overbuff technique people did. The list goes on and on.
    • Unlimited alliances now became a max of 3 clans per alliance.
    • PVP became for cheaters only.
    • PVE became for botters only and with instances impossible to meet anyone.
    • Diversity was destroyed.
    • I blame the new dev team that took over for this.

Reasons I stopped playing MMORPGs all together? It's all in my sig. Feel free to read through it and especially watch the video.

I'm not even willing to "try them" anymore. Honestly I felt like the experience of old L2 was so good, it just ruined any future game for me. I've tried just about every one up until the release of archeage closed beta. But non were able to get it right and were just WoW copy cats (since I never liked wow, you could imagine my dislike for all these "MMORPGs")
    My top were SWG, early WoW and L2. The thing about L2 early days was you could even play on private servers and have fun. It had a pretty awesome economy and only needed a few thousand to be good and sustainable(ingame and out). All of these big MMOs pour millions in thema and if they don't maintain a million player base they get shut down, but 100k-200k used to be successful. 
  • MsGamerladyMsGamerlady Member UncommonPosts: 192
    Old school EQ well about 1999 :) I loved hanging out with guildies in a group while grinding mobs or doing raids. 

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828
    I'd break it down into different categories:

Best PvP -- DAOC
    Best Ambiance -- LoTRO
    Best Crafting -- tie between Ryzom and Vanguard
    Best LFG -- CoH, they had the bestest group finder
    Best Pet Class -- Vanguard's Necromancer
    Best World -- tie between Ryzom and ESO

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• MavolenceMavolence Member UncommonPosts: 635
    For me, tied between Ultima Online and EVE Online. Greatest gaming experience i've ever had
  • TaishiFoxTaishiFox Member RarePosts: 999
    edited August 2015
    Star Wars Galaxies definitely

imageimage

• mad-hattermad-hatter Member UncommonPosts: 241
    Can never pick 1.  DAOC, UO, SWG, all tied 1st place for me. 
  • phantomghostphantomghost Member UncommonPosts: 738
    EQ1.  I will even go above and beyond and say EQ1 to like SoD because since quitting EQ everything has been nothing but disappointment.  Even going back to EQ is better than anything out.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Original Everquest. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• AngelhearthAngelhearth Member CommonPosts: 1
    d_20 said:
    What year did you start playing MMORPGs? Why was this game the best for you? If you're not playing it now, why did you leave it?

My first MMORPG was WoW back in 2007.
    The best game I've ever played, in spite of its ,many flaws, was Darkfall (the original, not DFUW). I started playing that from late 2008 till they wiped all my accounts.

Morrowind is my favorite game of all time. Darkfall came the closest for me, to replicating that type of feel. But it was online and the combat was much better. The world was huge. There was a real feeling of adventure and excitement that I have never experienced in any other game.

Yes, there were cheaters and the company that ran the game never seemed to execute the full potential of what that game could have been. People wanted more sandbox elements and they gave us funhulks (for those who played, you know what  I'm talking about). And there was the Darkfall 2010 that never came. In spite of that and all the game's other flaws, this was still my personal favorite of all time.

Still waiting for the next one.

First game was Meridian 59, but only for a couple of weeks. Then UO, EQ, DAoC, Vanguard, AC and god knows what. These days it's mostly WoW, which I played from the beta in 2005(?).

So far WoW is the favorite when it comes to graphics, Vanguard when it comes to exploration and UO when it comes to content. EQ was the most fun since the guild I was in (I became a member in UO, and it's still alive), Lost Order of Akalabeth, had a lot of members playing (WoW destroyed it for me since they separated Europe and the US).

ATM I'm looking for something that still doesn't exist. Something without dungeon crawling and raids as the most important part, a gigantic world that will take years to explore, a world where you can be part of changing things that will be visible for everyone playing it (chopping trees, mining, digging tunnels, building houses, castles, fortresses, hiring mercenaries and workers), a place where the cities are safe but the rest is PvP, BUT where you get flagged if you kill someone (i.e. you will have to live as an outlaw if it wasn't in self defense), AND, there's only 1 world, everyone plays on the same realm. There's computers out there that should be able to handle that as long as there aren't to many players in the same area. What about the Rolling Stones having a live concert in-game (i.e. with characters resembling them) in an arena that can hold 100,000?

Oh, well, I'm dreaming, but I've always been a dreamer. I'm not afraid of dying, I'm afraid of not getting to see what happens tomorrow. :)

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549
    WOW and DAOC, for me!

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    FFXI pre-abyssea
  • OldbugssOldbugss Member UncommonPosts: 22
    edited August 2015
    d_20 said:
    What year did you start playing MMORPGs? Why was this game the best for you? If you're not playing it now, why did you leave it?

My first MMORPG was WoW back in 2007.
    The best game I've ever played, in spite of its ,many flaws, was Darkfall (the original, not DFUW). I started playing that from late 2008 till they wiped all my accounts.

My first MMORPG was SWG in 2003. Not quite at launch but shortly after.
    This was a surprise for me as I thought for certain that I wasn't the "mmo type". My guild kept me entertained and with purpose.
    I Dabble once in a while with the emu, was on Exile server for some time with a city. I never left SWG. There 'til the end.
  • JDis25JDis25 Member RarePosts: 1,353
    edited August 2015
    1. World of Warcraft Burning Crusade - open-world pvp and a huge playerbase before LFG tool.
    1. Vanilla Rift - World Events, PvP Rifts/Quests, Awesome raids, new content updates monthly.
    1. Archeage Alpha - first sandbox MMORPG i have played and now is all I want. Also a beautiful game.
    4. Blade and Soul - Dueling is some intense action. PvE is exciting as well. It's like an arcade MMO that is always fun and action packed.
    5. Elder Scrolls Online - The quests, lore, artstyle, interactive combat, public dungeons, occasionally some real good PvP.

Honorable mentions: Warhammer Online / LOTRO. 
    Where has the open-world pvp gone?
    Now Playing: Bless / Summoners War
    Looking forward to: Crowfall / Lost Ark / Black Desert Mobile
  • d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    JDis25 said:
    1. World of Warcraft Burning Crusade - open-world pvp and a huge playerbase before LFG tool.
    1. Vanilla Rift - World Events, PvP Rifts/Quests, Awesome raids, new content updates monthly.
    1. Archeage Alpha - first sandbox MMORPG i have played and now is all I want. Also a beautiful game.
    4. Blade and Soul - Dueling is some intense action. PvE is exciting as well. It's like an arcade MMO that is always fun and action packed.
    5. Elder Scrolls Online - The quests, lore, artstyle, interactive combat, public dungeons, occasionally some real good PvP.

Honorable mentions: Warhammer Online / LOTRO. 
    ArcheAge alpha was awesome. I had a lot of fun with AA for the first month after release. I hope they can turn that ship around after the server merges. I don't know if it will be possible to get good land again, though coming over from one of the "evolved" servers.

I enjoyed ESO for over a year and just stopped playing the last month or so. I stayed as long as I did because of my guild. Pvp could be fun but got tired of the EP zerg that seemed to ruin whatever campaign I was on. During the day (NA) Cyro seemed pretty balanced but the Oceanic players from SEA and Oceania were heavily EP, so that ruined AvA for me after a while.

• cure01cure01 Member UncommonPosts: 291
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    JDis25 said:

Bigger question is where did the open world PVPers go?

@jdis25 ;

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482
    DAOC for seven years. IMO still has the best mmo pvp.