Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what went wrong with Wildstar?

123457»

Comments

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904
    DMKano said:

It was in development for 7 years - which means that by the time it released WoW clones were not popular anymore.

If WS launched 3 years prior it would have rode at least a year or 2 of the tail end of wow-era games.

This is probably the most accurate reason why it "Failed" the rest of the thread is made up or personal dislikes about that game that people feel are the sole cause of the downfall.

My personal dislike was that the community was very...."Inner circle" during development all the people that were fanatical about the game were in beta hanging out in irc with the developers and if you didn't like something you were a black sheep.

Of course that doesn't allow for feedback from common gamers and apparently they didn't like what the fanatics were eating up, who would of thought?

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• DavirokDavirok Member UncommonPosts: 75
    Thane said:
    seriously, if you think wildstar was an endless grind, maybe you should have left the grindy road and checked beside it abit now and then

We grew up.

For a grown up dude this game hasn't been more than a huge pile of bullshit. 
  • syriinxsyriinx Member UncommonPosts: 1,383
    Nitth said:
    DMKano said:

It was in development for 7 years - which means that by the time it released WoW clones were not popular anymore.

If WS launched 3 years prior it would have rode at least a year or 2 of the tail end of wow-era games.

This is probably the most accurate reason why it "Failed" the rest of the thread is made up or personal dislikes about that game that people feel are the sole cause of the downfall.

Except there is zero evidence that theme parks aren't popular anymore: in fact there is evidence the other way.  FFXIV seems to be having no issues.
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904
    syriinx said:
    Nitth said:
    DMKano said:

Except there is zero evidence that theme parks aren't popular anymore: in fact there is evidence the other way.  FFXIV seems to be having no issues.
    He said wow clone.

They didn't try to model: EQ or FFXI or ESO.

They made a cartoony teen humor hardcore raiding game that appeals to Ex wow players made my ex wow devs. 

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    edited August 2015
    syriinx said:
    Nitth said:
    DMKano said:

FF14 had issues on lunch they had to close down the game and fix all the problems, that a mass amount players hated. Now there doing well but there are trying hard keep there sub numbers now as is not massly growing but it's doing fine.
    Nitth said:
    syriinx said:
    Nitth said:
    DMKano said:

He said wow clone.

They made a cartoony teen humor hardcore raiding game that appeals to Ex wow players made my ex wow devs. 
    Most people mean themepark when they say WoW clone.  Wildstar is certainly not a WoW clone in the more literal sense.

True that they used a similar aesthetic and tone (or if you want to be look ignorant and/or closed minded you could say cartoony teen humor I guess), but the sort of people turned off by that are the ones that arent even going to give the game a shot anyway.  Wildstar had no issues getting people to try the game.  Its issues were in keeping them.

Maybe had they actually tried to copy WoWs combat and class design they would have had a hit, but they instead had classes that many people couldn't find one that resonated with them and a combat system that many find to be tedious and immersion breaking.
  • BMBenderBMBender Member UncommonPosts: 827
    Nitth said:
    syriinx said:
    Nitth said:
    DMKano said:

He said wow clone.

without the 10 years of subsequent post launch development and 10 years of post launch re-investment.  Basicly bringing a similar product to something that was already on the market 1/2 as polished, feature complete, and content for a similar price point....Duh  You wnat to compete with something in an already satisfied market?  Make it different, better, or cheaper or find another career.

syriinx said:
    Nitth said:
    DMKano said:

FF14 had issues on lunch they had to close down the game and fix all the problems, that a mass amount players hated. Now there doing well but there are trying hard keep there sub numbers now as is not massly growing but it's doing fine.
    Yup, FFXIV 1.0 was a flop.  2.0 was cleaned up, actually purposely made to be closer to WoW, and ended up being the first game released since...well, WoW...to not have a significant decline in subs its first year.  If themeparks were unpopular this wouldn't have happened.  Nor is it all about the IP, because the IP was a flop with 1.0.
  • DztBlkDztBlk Member UncommonPosts: 127
    I think the over-use of telegraphs ... and the carpal tunnel syndrome. :awesome: 

I mean think about it on the real. It takes about 30-40 more button clicks to kill a mob in this game then any other game. All those extra clicks...no thanks.

You gotta do your directional, you gotta line up your telegraph...you have to dodge out of the way of incoming shots...telegraph fires and your mind is setup to line up another telegraph straight away after the last one. That's about what 15-20 clicks in 5-10 seconds? Half those clicks likely don't even register lol.
    Actually this doesn't have to do with Wildstar except it is a pain trying line up stuff while you're getting your a*s handed to ya.  That said, I actually think of GW2 when I think of clicking alot.  Have you played a warrior?  OMG!  Get your banner, click your sigil, remove the hold on your, click the heal....oh snap!  I haven't actually hit an offensive button.  That's a clicky game!  O.o
  • zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    edited August 2015
    syriinx said:

syriinx said:
    Nitth said:
    DMKano said:

Yup, FFXIV 1.0 was a flop.  2.0 was cleaned up, actually purposely made to be closer to WoW, and ended up being the first game released since...well, WoW...to not have a significant decline in subs its first year.  If themeparks were unpopular this wouldn't have happened.  Nor is it all about the IP, because the IP was a flop with 1.0.
    Can't forget over the year there more mmo in general then few years ago, so people end up in sub, buy to play or even free to play mmo, as there only so many people in this world and little time, so themepark still popular what we find most people are in the world are playing for mmo in general. Whats unpopular are pure sandbox mmo or only pvp mmo that have not took off.

But whats really dying so far is the hardcore raiding that slowly dying and what wildstar marking for that type of players. And not casual raiding that still going strong in other mmo even wow one the bigger ones.

Post edited by zaberfangx on
  • AzucArSaladAzucArSalad Member UncommonPosts: 63
    - Performance. Not any other game I have played/tested in my laptop ( I travel frequently) has given me a medium of 10 fps in dungeons with minimum graphic settings.
    - Too colourful and cartoon-ish for my taste.

I will try it again when it goes f2p because I liked the combat system, but I think I will turn my gaming time towards Elder Scrolls.

^.^'

• CandyCaneNJCandyCaneNJ Member UncommonPosts: 187
    Aori said:
    What went wrong? Half of the systems in Wildstar were scrapped and replaced with inferior but easier to maintain in mere months of its release.

PvP lead dev was a moron, didn't appreciate feedback and wanted to do her own thing. She stopped all communication with the community half way through beta because no one liked her "vision" and many said it wouldn't work.

hardcore raiding would have been fine if there was more to offer in the game, however there wasn't.
    I'm glad PVP failed and isn't hardcore anymore. That was a failed idea IMHO. I have no interest in PVP whatsoever I might add. I can understand PVP fans being upset though. 
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    edited August 2015
    Just to hardcore. They made a game only a small % of gamers would like. No matter how good the rest of the game is, unless you are a 1%er you will find this game to hard. For my wife and I, I loved it. She could not stand it. 

On a side note, I found the questing a bit of a drag. Not enough story, was mostly short cat calls when you clicked stuff. For a modern MMO you need the main story like Voice Overed. Just my two cents. 
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    When the dream meets the reality...

Devs sometimes forget this is a service industry.  You can come up with all kind of ideas but if the player base as a whole isn't behind it, you end up with empty servers.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• TholdarianTholdarian Member UncommonPosts: 67
    As a subscriber playing Wildstar atm, I'd have to say: the game, as immersive as it can be from time to time, never quite lets you forget you're in a game. When you enter a new quest hub, you'll get spammed with calls on your Datachron, which just feels weird. Player numbers overall are quite low right now, but still manageable, but pretty much only when you're Exile. The Dominion side is pretty empty (judging this from Jabbit, the EU PVE server).
    The game has lots of great ideas, a really fun and rewarding combat system, but lots of the 'smaller' mechanics need some attention. At least it was a good decision to remove 40-man raiding, scaling it down to 20-man. The Open Beta will surely flood lots of new players into the game and Wildstar deserves every good thing that happens to it; the concept, art style, humour and more are just outstanding. Next to WoW and FF14, this game deserves to be solid 3rd place of most popular MMORPGs, in my opinion, at least.
  • PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    It was the hipster MMO.  Tried so hard to be irrelevant with its Twitter 140 character quests and Screamed Level Up totally radical dude.  It got annoying after awhile because it got to the point of why care about what you're doing.  The game certainly gave off the impression that it didn't care.  They missed the mark with combat as well.  Focused so much on positioning and movement.  That the one trick pony went from modest challenge to disco floor.  Quite simply horrible game design.  Horrible quest line.
  • AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Action combat and 40-man hardcore raiding do not mix.

Plus they tried to build a hardcore raiding game for a playerbase that already has that game and is reluctant to leave.
  • toomuch4212toomuch4212 Member UncommonPosts: 82
    This is probably one of the only MMO's in the past 15 years (especially with alot of hype and large anticipation) that i havent played. Too many people i know who were in beta or then subscribed quit quickly and i heard alot of "meh" things about it. At least with going F2P i can try it for myself and see if its for me or not. So there's that. Idk that the F2P model will be its saving grace though, but we'll see...
  • SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    Alders said:
    Action combat and 40-man hardcore raiding do not mix.

Plus they tried to build a hardcore raiding game for a playerbase that already has that game and is reluctant to leave.
    Indeed... And I'm quite sure many would agree they should put a lot more party based content into the game. Which they really aren't focusing on... We got one, and not much else. The raids have improved by reducing to 20 man, but it's still a clusterf***. 
  • KrimzinKrimzin Member UncommonPosts: 687
    WoW  made players soft.. so when Wildstar was to hard.. people cried... and quit

Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    Best Duo Ever

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
    Battle Station 
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    I think the over-use of telegraphs ... and the carpal tunnel syndrome. :awesome: 

I mean think about it on the real. It takes about 30-40 more button clicks to kill a mob in this game then any other game. All those extra clicks...no thanks.

You gotta do your directional, you gotta line up your telegraph...you have to dodge out of the way of incoming shots...telegraph fires and your mind is setup to line up another telegraph straight away after the last one. That's about what 15-20 clicks in 5-10 seconds? Half those clicks likely don't even register lol.
    Yeah this kind of combat wears me out also.
  • RPGenieRPGenie Member UncommonPosts: 33
    Nanfoodle said:
    Just to hardcore. They made a game only a small % of gamers would like. No matter how good the rest of the game is, unless you are a 1%er you will find this game to hard. For my wife and I, I loved it. She could not stand it. 

On a side note, I found the questing a bit of a drag. Not enough story, was mostly short cat calls when you clicked stuff. For a modern MMO you need the main story like Voice Overed. Just my two cents. 
    I found this to be true for my husband and me except I was the one who enjoyed it. I probably would have stuck with it more if he'd shown more interest but I usually get bored after a while when he stops playing games and goes back to his old faithful WoW. Right now it's a game I keep installed and might hop on from time to time like many other games.

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134
    Krimzin said:
    WoW  made players soft.. so when Wildstar was to hard.. people cried... and quit

no. most wow players wouldnt touch WS at all
    that is why theyre going F2P