Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Otherland MMO hitting Steam Early Access on August 26th

MrSnufflesMrSnuffles Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
edited August 2015 in Otherland

Sci-fi novel series-turned-MMO Otherland [official site] has been stuck in limbo since 2010 when a release date came and went without so much as a faint rustling of tumbleweeds in the games media world. So what’s going on exactly?

After getting a second temporary release date back in 2012, which once again passed us all by, Otherland is going for a release date announcement hat-trick. It’s now scheduled to launch on Steam as an Early Access release on August 26th.

Otherland Trailer

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
- Michael Bitton
Community Manager, MMORPG.com

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
- SEANMCAD

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Post edited by Amana on

Comments

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Certainly not going to buy into early access for a game that barely has English on their website.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • MrSnufflesMrSnuffles Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Viper482 said:
    Certainly not going to buy into early access for a game that barely has English on their website.
    Website is in English for me, not sure what you are talking about.

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258
    Viper482 said:
    Website is in English for me, not sure what you are talking about.
    Towards the top left of the banner is the option to switch it to English :)

• ShariShari Member UncommonPosts: 746
    I don't think that site you linked is correct as it is gamigo and they are not publishing/funding the game anymore They are now being published by Drago Entertainment http://www.drago-entertainment.com/otherland/

I could be wrong but i'm sure that us what I read.

• MrSnufflesMrSnuffles Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Shari said:
    I don't think that site you linked is correct as it is gamigo and they are not publishing/funding the game anymore They are now being published by Drago Entertainment http://www.drago-entertainment.com/otherland/

I could be wrong but i'm sure that us what I read.
    Looks like you are right. Updating: OP.

- Michael Bitton

- SEANMCAD

• ironniusironnius Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Launch has been delayed til Sept.

Dear Others, 
    Our original release date is only two days away! I have good news and bad news for you. Original date? Yes, this is the bad news so let's start with this first: 

We will unfortunately not be able to meet our target date of August 26th. There are many reasons for that, one of them being the decision to set up US servers simultaneously, as this has been requested so many times over the last couple of days. The team simply could use more time to polish the game and get rid of bugs that have come up over the weekend. 

Now the good news is: not only will we have US-based servers (in addition to the Germany-based ones) available from the beginning, but you will also get a better game. As a small present we will release another Feature video this week, showing gameplay from the different worlds, along with a new release date! 

We know this decision will sadden some of you and believe us, we have not taken it lightly. We appreciate your support and hope to see you soon in the game! 

It won't be long now...

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433
    Yeah, I remember seeing this game featured years ago. But nothing since then.

Was surprised to find it on Steam too. But I'll definitely wait for reviews on this one before buying into it.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• Adam1902Adam1902 Member UncommonPosts: 537
    So is this actually an MMO or just using the term as a marketing buzz-word like Skyforge? As in, is this actually a persistent world or all "instances"?

Real MMOs are very rare nowadays.

_________
    Currently playing: Black Desert Korea (Waiting for EU)

Always hating on instances in MMOs! Open worlds, open PvP, territory control and housing please. More persistence, more fun.

• BajsN3rdBajsN3rd Member UncommonPosts: 41
    “The current pricing is aimed at players who are willing to support us and are ready to invest into great content and the creation thereof. Instead of an item shop - as originally planned - we will offer DLC that includes new content but is optional to buy. No Pay2Win!"

I like the no "p2w" but freakin' paying for updates or well, "dlc's", no.
    I would rather see a shop.
  • JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    Yes it is an mmo. 

Concept is awesome. 

Paying for DLC (Downloadable Content) could make this the most expensive game yet.  I mean how much you charging?  What content is being sold? 

Since the game starts you out looking like Tron (*ref Disney Movie)  and you can't change your character's appearance until you acquire skins this could have an evil lot of costly potential for the gamer.  Not to mention the world/universe is based on visiting unique lands with different themes - some medieval, some steampunk, some ghetto etc.  Do you have to pay real life cash for each of those? 

How much of the game is already done and how much is on the way?

• FilburFilbur Member UncommonPosts: 254
    Early Access Trailer:

• sludgebeardsludgebeard Member RarePosts: 788
    This shit gon be fire!
  • zan0010zan0010 Member UncommonPosts: 2
    @MrSnuffles MMORPG needs to make a post about the game!
  • ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Tad Williams would have been better served to push his Dragon Bone Chair IP as an MMO, it would have been much better receveied...imo
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams