Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can I play Pantheon all day ?

Situation,

It's a day off from work/school.  It's winter time and its freezing cold and snowy.  The family is out of the picture and the day is yours to have the house to yourself, or you have a good quality lock on your computer rooms door.

You load into your virtual world of Terminus and escape from all life's situations. 

Your character is a Hafling dps Monk.  It's only 6am and your guild population is low and no one from your friends list are on.  This is all ok, because you have a list of things you needed to get done by yourself anyway.  The world is alive with others despite no friends yet, the scenery is beautiful and the music is soothing.  You do some solo gathering and it went well for crafting that new set of gear that you so much wonted.

It's getting later now around 9am, the snow outside turned to a slushy rain. On pops a few Guild members, you exchange greetings and go about your business.  Out side the city you find yourself testing a few abilities and honing your skills.  Your working on practicing a few crowed control skills for when you'll be grouping with friends.  But over off to your left is a Clearic that's having a hard time because he's set up for healing.  You both take care of the troubling mob and chat a little.  You find that he loves running dungeons and that's why he made a healer. You really click and play together for a few hours.  You also find that he's from New York City and your from Upstate, great your both in the same time zone and add each other to friends.

It's time for lunch, dammed, but you need the break.  A half hour later your back in your virtual world of Terminus.  It's 11:30 am, and things are at full swing, lots of Guild chatter, seven of your list of friends are on line.  Things can't be more perfect !  Being level 16 it's time for your first dungeon :)

Your the aggressive type, the game is new, many are about the same level of experience with the game as you.  Ah, what the hell !  Time to get the action rolling.  You know it's best to find the entrance first to help guide players to you.  Now, since your there, lets get a group.  You have a lot of sources.  A nice Guild, a healthy friends list and a real good social panel you've been playing around with, practicing player searches.  Thank God were all on the same server without a Dungeon Finder, because that would blow everything because your trying to make a name for yourself, and have a lot of friends.

Anyway, lets see !.........Being dps I'll need a healer and tank first.  That's easy because you new found friend is still online and is willing to heal, but the Tank is a different story.  You guild seems to be low on the Tank side at your level but that's ok, You can search for one. Bringing up your social panel and type 15-19 you find eleven tanks online, that's a lot of tanks !....Never seen that before.  So you send detailed invites to three of them at a time, and a few minuets later you get a hit.  A level 17 Dread Lord that's been dying to give this dungeon a try.  Now for two more dps, this should be easy the Guild is packed, And you have your two classes in no time.

Since you did some research, your already at the entrance, you guide them all to you.  In waiting, you add all of them to your friends list incase things work out well.  You discuss tactic's, roles, and give buffs.  Time to head in for an epic adventure with YOUR NEW FOUND FRIENDS :) 

An immersive day such as this can only be accomplished with a well designed social structure.  No cross realm dungeon finder, mega server, long personal story lines to steal players into a solo game.  Auto made groups for dynamic events will tell others " hay, I don't need anyone ".  

A LIVING BREATHING WORLD !!!!!!!!!!!  

Comments

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    edited August 2015

If the social structures are not in place, our day would more go like this ;

It's 6 am on a snowy day, the day is your own to do as you please :)

You log in to Terminus.  Still being too early for your guild, you feel it's a good time to get some solo stuff done.  Harvesting seems somewhat useless because the game is easy and not worth crafting.  But it would be fun to run a few Dynamic Events and get some good loot to replace some of the old.  Hay, there's a Cleric.  Need some help ? Dam, no response, you guess he likes doing his own thing.  Everyone is always doing there own thing :( 

It's now 8 am and you feel like running that level 16 dungeon you've been studying.  Still not many Guild players. They don't seem to do anything anyway.  You haven't any friends on my list either, but that's ok, in fact its great great !.....I have a LFD tool...Much easer :)

I'll just simply open up the dungeon finder click on the 16 Dungeon and wait.  This may take a few minuets since your playing a 16 dps monk.  Cool, a few minuet's later your with a group inside a dungeon.  I just hope there not ass hats like so many other mmos.  Look !  The players are running already, I should be done in no time.

45 minuets later your out from a successful run with several blue epic's.  Time of lunch, and some TV for the rest of the day :)  Besides you should shovel the snow.

Nothing epic to remember, no stories, but a fun little video game

Post edited by delete5230 on
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,982
    No you can't.

As far as I know it's not playable yet.

Maybe in a few years if everything works out.  But no, right now you can;t play Pantheon all day, or even for a sliver of a day.

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

edited August 2015
    DMKano said:
    OP - this is what it was like back in 1999-2001 for somebody playing a MMORPG for the first time. Today's playerbase smashes and devours content at the speed of light, because everyone has played a half dozen MMOS for years. The number of players that take time to smell the roses is very small today.

Pantheon won't be any different - because the players have changed to conquer and consume content as fast as possible, a player will be at level 16 probably less than 1 hour.

Well I'm still playing Vanilla WoW.  The player base are all well versed with this mmo.  It's extremely amazing how it takes a half a day from level 28 to 29.  Players actually say " ding " when they level.  Sure you have the speed levelers, but they are truly few, and only a half hour faster per level.

This game had content. Wayyyy more than any thing we have now.  Not two quest per level.....By the way the dungeons are harder than you would think.  Players coming from new games seem to get the groups killed real fast !

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    Well vanilla WoW was harder... it's not that there are only 2 quests per level in modern WoW, it's that you level with only 2 quests in modern WoW.  They've completely retuned the content to make leveling insanely fast... which is why you literally know nothing about your character when you reach max level because you pretty much one-shot everything no matter what skill you use.  Back in the day mobs didn't die in a single hit and if you were too low, they'd swarm on you like a magnet.  Today if you stay on the road, you're pretty much guaranteed not to get attacked by anything... even as a level 1 in a level 60 zone.  You can't compare old WoW to new WoW because the two are not even the same game anymore.  All they share is a name, that's it.  You might as well be comparing WoW to a different game, because that's what vanilla WoW is, a different game.

And for the record, the vanilla servers suffer from population issues as much as current WoW.  People play through to a certain level and pretty much quit.  Mainly because the raids aren't functional or the dungeons... you will discover this if you played vanilla WoW before.  They don't have the code to fix the problems, thus they never get fixed.  The only thing that does get fixed is those things that they could dig up the old code for from patches.  They have some of them, not all... thus even the vanilla servers aren't vanilla WoW... as close as you can get but still not 100% the same.  You will discover this when you run some dungeons and raids.  You would also notice this out in the world too.  But to someone totally unfamiliar with vanilla WoW, you'd think this was par for the course.

Vanilla WoW was vibrant with people playing 24/7 because it was new and there was always something that needed to be done... always.  Everything took more time.  And time is the key to socializing because the more you are in game, the more likely you are to chat with others.  But even if a modern game made it so that it took a year to ding a single level, it would NEVER create the social phenomenon that occurred back then because today social media is everywhere.  People are glued to their phones 24/7 today.  That just wasn't even a reality back then.  Totally different times.  If you want to find people online these days, you might as well join a dating website.  They're the only ones looking for companionship.
    DMKano said:
    DMKano said:
    OP - this is what it was like back in 1999-2001 for somebody playing a MMORPG for the first time. Today's playerbase smashes and devours content at the speed of light, because everyone has played a half dozen MMOS for years. The number of players that take time to smell the roses is very small today.

Pantheon won't be any different - because the players have changed to conquer and consume content as fast as possible, a player will be at level 16 probably less than 1 hour.

Well I'm still playing Vanilla WoW.  The player base are all well versed with this mmo.  It's extremely amazing how it takes a half a day from level 28 to 29.  Players actually say " ding " when they level.  Sure you have the speed levelers, but they are truly few, and only a half hour faster per level.

This game had content. Wayyyy more than any thing we have now.  Not two quest per level.....By the way the dungeons are harder than you would think.  Players coming from new games seem to get the groups killed real fast !

I'm playing project 1999 - i soloed my bard 1-60 in less than 2 weeks. (Bacon when I played eq1 in 1999 it took me months to get to 50)

Yeah.

Sure there are players who are dying at level 5, but not veteran players. 

Would you rather a soloish MMO where everything is easy and handed to you.  Full of auto everything but kind of lonely until end game ?......If so there's a list of well over 200 of them, no need for Pantheon.  Complete with Cash shops for a players spending needs. 

I for one would like something unique. It's amazing I'm saying this but unique is a social mmo.  Yes, back to square one, but with a huge modern twist.....Pantheon is many mmo players only hope, but I'm not expecting much !  

I'm expecting just another so called mainstream peace's of crap, to add to the list of over 200.

edited August 2015
    DMKano said:
    It's not what I would like, that is completely irrelevant. 

It's about current mass playerbase trends - which is 15min-45min play sessions. 

This is unquestionably where the majority of current playerbase are.

The time of masses playing virtual worlds without fast travel and instant group finders are dead and gone.

Sure you and I might love that type of gameplay but we are such a small minority that we are irrelevant. 

This is the demography developers set into play.  Are you sure people are asking for easy ?

Me, I think this is a lie, people are feed this. Developers are getting away with making a half a game.  Also,if a developer tells you have to do a 200 part story quest, you have to do it, or no reward. They tell you what's fun !

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    From your story it sounds like your pretending to play an actual MMO and not whats out there today claiming to be an MMO.  Interesting exercise.
  • karat76karat76 Member UncommonPosts: 1,000
    DMKano said:

The time of masses playing virtual worlds without fast travel and instant group finders are dead and gone.

Sure you and I might love that type of gameplay but we are such a small minority that we are irrelevant. 

I am with you I miss virtual worlds. I loved exploring EQ and UO. I do agree we are the minority far too many want the quick fix. Recently started WoW again and the dungeon finder has led to speed runs through dungeons with no communication.
  • ElmberryElmberry Member UncommonPosts: 195
    karat76 said:
    DMKano said:

I am with you I miss virtual worlds. I loved exploring EQ and UO. I do agree we are the minority far too many want the quick fix. Recently started WoW again and the dungeon finder has led to speed runs through dungeons with no communication.
    Yes, in WoW, to many players stand still in the cities and do instances via dungeon finder. It's really boring these days in WoW when it feels like most players are only in the city all the time.
  • ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    I don't even mind if people smash content as long as they had to earn it with a full balanced group in difficult dungeons.

It still takes a LONG time to hit 60 on p99 and people know that game like the back of their hands.
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    im not your daddy you can do whatever you want kid. 
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

edited August 2015

Deleted by user