Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

John Smedley Leaves Daybreak, Starts New Company -

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,122
edited August 2015 in News & Features Discussion

imageJohn Smedley Leaves Daybreak, Starts New Company -

John Smedley has announced that he has left Daybreak Game Studio and has formed a new company and is its CEO. Earlier this summer, Smedley announced he was stepping down as president and CEO of Daybreak, but that he would be transitioning to a new position within the company after time away.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Ammon777_newAmmon777_new Member UncommonPosts: 306
    Well cool.
  • ElderknightElderknight Member UncommonPosts: 285
    Wow, no more EQ Next. ?
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,612
    well that did not take long...
  • theprophet85theprophet85 Member UncommonPosts: 16
    I hope he enjoys his NJE- New Job Experience. Not.
  • BlinkennBlinkenn Member UncommonPosts: 153
    expected that.
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,608
    I wonder if any investors will be knocking his door down to get in on his new company? I doubt it. 
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 9,724
    Gratz Smed. I can't wait to see what you have coming.
  • WhySoSeriousWhySoSerious Member UncommonPosts: 156
    Any think his company will make EQ3? Well, maybe they can't use the EQ name, but you know what I mean.
    @WhySoSerious: I sure hope so.
  • SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    I don't think he took any licensing with him... But will look into it further.

This should be interesting though, a fresh start might be what he needed. 
    A non-cartoony EQ3 would be kewl.
  • RedruumRedruum Member UncommonPosts: 313
    Maybe he has some investors lined up and is going to buy Funcom's games lineup minus the Lego game and then launch a new MMO of his own!
  • WolfClawsWolfClaws Member UncommonPosts: 638
    Saw that coming... No more H1Z1 or EQNext.... where is EQNext anyways?
  • UzidukeUziduke Member UncommonPosts: 110
    edited August 2015
    I am sure Daybreak will continue with both games.

Something Awful this way comes.

• kemono55kemono55 Member UncommonPosts: 124
    WolfClaws said:
    Saw that coming... No more H1Z1 or EQNext.... where is EQNext anyways?
    In the concept stage...
    Uziduke said:
    I am sure Daybreak will continue with both games.
    Probably.
  • MellowTiggerMellowTigger Member UncommonPosts: 84
    I left EverQuest (1 and 2) many years ago.  I hope that something new, exciting, and good will happen with Norrath now that Smedley is finally gone.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,687
    Blinkenn said:
    expected that.
    Yep, I saw it coming as well.
    Makes me curious whether he's going to stick with games à la the kind he worked on at SOE/Daybreak or go for something completely different. (For all we know he could be going into the mobile games biz  B) )

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,166
    When he "stepped down" as CEO some suggested he was pushed, others that he needed to get out of the limelight etc. I suggested it could be something as simple as "stress" and he needed to take a break.

This suggests that it wasn't stress - forming a new company is hardly a rest - so that leaves:
    a) the attention he attracted which, at the end of the day, cost the studio money resulting in him being side lined;
    b) and / or the current performance of the company and his tie in to e.g. EQN this year.

Some did suggest he was only on-board for the transition but, imo, if CN wanted him gone they would have done so on day 1.
  • ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    @theprophet85 Well played, sir...well played.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,107
    Any think his company will make EQ3? Well, maybe they can't use the EQ name, but you know what I mean.
    Don´t think he is stupid enough to try and do that. It will have a snowballs chance in hell to be a hit and it would cost way to much. MMO´s like EQ and WoW will not happen again for a long time. From now on it will be smaller in scope and easier to handle.

Tawess gaming

Tawess soapbox

This have been a good conversation

• TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 6,992
    What skills does he have other than gift of gab anyway?....As far as I know he doesnt design or develop or anything else.....All I ever saw of him at SOE was salesman basically.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 6,992
    I left EverQuest (1 and 2) many years ago.  I hope that something new, exciting, and good will happen with Norrath now that Smedley is finally gone.

So did Smedley ever actually do any work or was he always just a figurehead?
  • VutarVutar Member UncommonPosts: 916
    Well  at least this time it will be his own company he is running into the ground.
  • inmysightsinmysights Member UncommonPosts: 395
    WoW, did not see that coming...

I am so good, I backstabbed your face!