Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

John Smedley Leaves Daybreak, Starts New Company -

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited August 2015 in News & Features Discussion

imageJohn Smedley Leaves Daybreak, Starts New Company -

John Smedley has announced that he has left Daybreak Game Studio and has formed a new company and is its CEO. Earlier this summer, Smedley announced he was stepping down as president and CEO of Daybreak, but that he would be transitioning to a new position within the company after time away.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• Ammon777_newAmmon777_new Member UncommonPosts: 306
    Well cool.
  • ElderknightElderknight Member UncommonPosts: 322
    Wow, no more EQ Next. ?
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    well that did not take long...
  • theprophet85theprophet85 Member UncommonPosts: 19
    I hope he enjoys his NJE- New Job Experience. Not.
  • BlinkennBlinkenn Member UncommonPosts: 166
    expected that.
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    I wonder if any investors will be knocking his door down to get in on his new company? I doubt it. 
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Gratz Smed. I can't wait to see what you have coming.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • WhySoSeriousWhySoSerious Member UncommonPosts: 156
    Any think his company will make EQ3? Well, maybe they can't use the EQ name, but you know what I mean.
    @WhySoSerious: I sure hope so.
  • SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546
    I don't think he took any licensing with him... But will look into it further.

This should be interesting though, a fresh start might be what he needed. 
    A non-cartoony EQ3 would be kewl.
  • RedruumRedruum Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Maybe he has some investors lined up and is going to buy Funcom's games lineup minus the Lego game and then launch a new MMO of his own!
  • WolfClawsWolfClaws Member UncommonPosts: 638
    Saw that coming... No more H1Z1 or EQNext.... where is EQNext anyways?
  • UzidukeUziduke Member UncommonPosts: 110
    edited August 2015
    I am sure Daybreak will continue with both games.

Something Awful this way comes.

• kemono55kemono55 Member UncommonPosts: 124
    WolfClaws said:
    Saw that coming... No more H1Z1 or EQNext.... where is EQNext anyways?
    In the concept stage...
    Uziduke said:
    I am sure Daybreak will continue with both games.
    Probably.
  • MellowTiggerMellowTigger Member UncommonPosts: 84
    I left EverQuest (1 and 2) many years ago.  I hope that something new, exciting, and good will happen with Norrath now that Smedley is finally gone.
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Blinkenn said:
    expected that.
    Yep, I saw it coming as well.
    Makes me curious whether he's going to stick with games à la the kind he worked on at SOE/Daybreak or go for something completely different. (For all we know he could be going into the mobile games biz  B) )

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    When he "stepped down" as CEO some suggested he was pushed, others that he needed to get out of the limelight etc. I suggested it could be something as simple as "stress" and he needed to take a break.

This suggests that it wasn't stress - forming a new company is hardly a rest - so that leaves:
    a) the attention he attracted which, at the end of the day, cost the studio money resulting in him being side lined;
    b) and / or the current performance of the company and his tie in to e.g. EQN this year.

Some did suggest he was only on-board for the transition but, imo, if CN wanted him gone they would have done so on day 1.
  • ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    @theprophet85 Well played, sir...well played.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227
    Any think his company will make EQ3? Well, maybe they can't use the EQ name, but you know what I mean.
    Don´t think he is stupid enough to try and do that. It will have a snowballs chance in hell to be a hit and it would cost way to much. MMO´s like EQ and WoW will not happen again for a long time. From now on it will be smaller in scope and easier to handle.

This have been a good conversation

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    What skills does he have other than gift of gab anyway?....As far as I know he doesnt design or develop or anything else.....All I ever saw of him at SOE was salesman basically.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    I left EverQuest (1 and 2) many years ago.  I hope that something new, exciting, and good will happen with Norrath now that Smedley is finally gone.

So did Smedley ever actually do any work or was he always just a figurehead?
  • inmysightsinmysights Member UncommonPosts: 441
    WoW, did not see that coming...

I am so good, I backstabbed your face!

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

So did Smedley ever actually do any work or was he always just a figurehead?
    From what I've read he was a hands on leader. He involved himself in all aspects of the company and knew what was going on in all departments. 
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams