Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Intel plans on supporting adaptive sync

QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
http://techreport.com/news/28865/intel-plans-to-support-vesa-adaptive-sync-displays

It's not at all surprising that they'd plan on supporting it eventually.  They may not care much about gaming performance, but they do care very much about power consumption in laptops, and allowing a monitor to save power by refreshing less often when it doesn't matter was the original impetus behind adaptive sync.

But it's still good news that Intel plans to support it, and I say the sooner the better.  Industry standards that let you pick any monitor you want and any GPU you want and they work together nicely are a good thing for consumers.  Support might be a ways off, as the GPU needs to have some things in place in order to support it properly.  AMD's original GCN-based GPUs cannot support adaptive sync, for example, though the newer GCN architecture GPUs do.

Comments

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    edited August 2015
    The question of a timetable is complicated by whether Intel's GPU hardware will require an update in order to enable Adaptive-Sync capability. A source familiar with the matter has indicated to us that this feature is not present in current hardware, so in all likelihood, Adaptive-Sync support will have to wait until at least after the Skylake generation of products.

This part is interesting. While they do support HDMI 2.0, apparently Intel currently only supports up to DP1.2, not 1.2a or 1.3 needed for FreeSync support. Doesn't really look like it will be "soon enough" to really put any pressure on nVidia yet.

I very much like the idea of adaptive sync, but right now the limitations (mainly being isolated to just full-screen gaming modes) just wouldn't bring me any benefit.

• RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2015/08/28/intel-may-have-just-killed-nvidias-g-sync.aspx

Somewhat in the vein of talking about shareholders - Motley Fool is publication geared toward investors.