Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

thinking of playing

DonpoohbearDonpoohbear Member UncommonPosts: 85

i think i want to play eve i like space i like ships i love explosions and drones. so i wanted to ask a few things.

1. can i make a competitive amount of money without having alt accounts and afk mining
  2. about how long will i be playing before i have a good ship and the skills to use it
  3. will i just be getting ganked constantly
  4. what race would you reccomend for using the drones or having massive explosions

Comments

• CyraelCyrael Member UncommonPosts: 239
    Originally posted by Donpoohbear

i think i want to play eve i like space i like ships i love explosions and drones. so i wanted to ask a few things.

1. can i make a competitive amount of money without having alt accounts and afk mining
    2. about how long will i be playing before i have a good ship and the skills to use it
    4. what race would you reccomend for using the drones or having massive explosions
    1. You can make decent amounts of isk by mining, but you're not going make nearly as much as those who run multiple accounts. Also, afk mining is a bad idea no matter where you are. Afk miner is a synonym for victim.
    2. It depends on what you consider a good ship. Almost every ship in the game is useful in some capacity.
    3. Constantly, no. Will you be ganked occasionally? Yes.
    4. Gallente is the drone-heavy race. Explosions depend more what you're firing at than what you're firing.
  • Athena_StarfireAthena_Starfire Member UncommonPosts: 213

Yes, you will be ganked constantly if you go out of high-sec space as all the nodes to other areas are guarded by the corps that have been playing for years and people who are just waiting for some noob to venture out so they can rob them. Unless you have a friend in one of the corps the only way you will be able to join is to become a mine monkey with a quota to fill. It will be weeks before you have a good ship and skills. Also, you don't get anywhere in EVE playing for free.. I would give it a miss...

• DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    You want to make isk. find a newbro friendly wormhole corp.

• DonpoohbearDonpoohbear Member UncommonPosts: 85

ok so ganking will happen  i need to find a good company to get anywere and ill atleast be devoting a few weeks befor i have a decent attack ship

• lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671
    Join Eve Uni. Best newbie corp you can join. They do everything and will teach you what you need.
    Don't assume things are gonna be ruff and you will be ganked endlessly. That only ruins things. I never got ganked unless I did something that put me in a bad place. They billion+ isk I lost flying thru low sec was my fault. Those damn russians just got lucky. A positive attitude is a must. Have fun.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

oh god you lost a billion isk that sucks
  • aegolinaegolin Member UncommonPosts: 17

1-Competitive its a relative term, if youre asking enough to plex an account the answer is yes, you can. Sorry, forget about afk mining (where does people hear that afk mining is a way to play EVE, and miss the part of a 10-20 bot accounts multi-monitor isboxer  RMT set-up?). About having an alt account dont worry, if you get hooked by EVE youll have an alt account.... or three.

2-Mmmmm... you play since day one and a T1 frigate is a fine weapon, basic skills at 3-4 will take around 15 days.

3- Ganked? you like explosions and drones so tell me.... who will be providing you with explosions? guess you mean destroying other players cause PVE in EVE is just a way to get money, not much fun out of it. Remember that EVE is a non consensual PVP game so if you fly you will die, eventually, nothing wrong with it; the thrill comes from fact that the real players around you are the danger, or the unforseen ally.

4- Faction is irrelevant as far as skills and ships go. If you care about roleplaying and factional warfare read the lore about them and choose according to your needs.

5-Ah! the missing point! You must LEARN to play EVE to enjoy it. It may sound harsh but thats the real, cold, f*********  FACT. You may do it one way: stomp your head with the game mechanics one time after another (or a couple of hundreds times, no kidding) until you get them OR the other way: do the basic trainning in a trial account and READ all you can about EVE (the ISK guide, the Blogs, the forums, the third party tools). Both ways will take aprox the same ammount of time (around a couple of months, or three ), the difference IMHO is that youll not waste time, money, isk and efforts and skip the rage, frustation and tears if you choose the later. After the inevitable learning process youll create a new account, set a good and focused skill plan considering implants and remaps (using evemon or alike), have prepared good fittings to try out your ships (using EFT or alike), and having a good idea of what you want your pilot to become in EVE. Then.... youll add the alt accounts, join a corp that fits your needs (or play solo), get involved in factional warfare, industry, exploration, planetary interaction, wormholes, null sec, missioning, incursions, low sec, interhub trading, invention...... and yes (if you insist).... mining....

Fly safe

thanks  thats very informative so i guess ill do more reading on eve so i know what i want to do. and by explosions i meant missle/rocket weaponry . and for the most part im a pve player so i dont plan to pvp alot but who knows .

1. so find guides
    2. download 3rd party tools
    3. find a corporation to roll with 
    hopefully this works out

• SoaringBarnacleSoaringBarnacle Member UncommonPosts: 34

1 - No. You need at least one scout account to safely haul loot, and you need other logistical accounts if your isk making is industry-related.

2 - Fairly quick, but it will be useless if you don't have alts

3 - You will be harassed constantly. Scammers' spam in local (local chat which you have to keep an eye at all times to check for local pop spikes). If you travel outside high-sec you will be ganked, and you will be ganked in high-sec unless you check everything all the time

4 - I recommend playing another game, hell I recommend playing games, EvE is not a game, it's a sociopathy simulator. People log in not to play pretend being spaceship pilots, they log in to purposefully make unsuspecting gamers like you rage and quit

• ZoobiZoobi Member UncommonPosts: 115

If you don't want to run multiple accounts like the majority of players of this title seem to, then consider buying PLEX then reselling them on the in game market. That way you can spend yourself into riches and bypass all the in game methods of generating currency. You could also buy yourself, using your new found riches, a premade character with all the skills you need to do anything in the game you desire, thereby sidestepping any feelings of achievement you may get by building up a character of your own.

Yes there's is a slight sarcastic tone to my post, but take my word for it there is no exaggeration.

• sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950

Prepare for this novel I wound up writing.

As far as your question about being ganked constantly goes, that's entirely up to you.

If you learn how to play the game, pvp is nearly always consensual in EVE, the hard part is tricking the other guy into thinking he can win. As far as you are concerned, you need to just worry about a couple things.

The first is your D-Scan. Learn it, love it, use it always. Always. I mean it. Always. You will use it while mining, doing missions or exploration sites in low or nullsec (and high sec wars) with a short range to see if anyone is warping into you. You'll use it while traveling in nullsec from a celestial object withing max range of DScan to scout out gates to see if anyone is there. You'll never warp gate to gate in nullsec, because that's bad, so you just warp to something nearby or a bookmark outside of visual and scan the gate. If there's something like an interceptor there you'll figure they have a bunch of friends on the other side and you'll find another route or exercise patience. Probably not a bad idea to do this in some lowsec systems to if they're busy or your'e headed to a busy system. 

The other thing you'll want to learn to love is your map. it can be configured to show information which will be useful to you like ships destroyed in the last hour, ships in space, jumps in past hour, pods destroyed. If you see a high number of these things in a system you're travelling through, there's probably a gate camp. Find another route or exercise patience. There's a good out of game map for this stuff too, the name escapes my memory.

Third thing is isnta undocks. You'll want to learn to make these and then make these for any low or NPC nullsec station you frequent. So, you'll learn when you start playing that it takes some time for your ship to enter warp after gatejumping or undocking. Your ship has to align to destination and get up to speed. Smaller ships warp fast. Battleships and transports are slow as balls. There's a couple things about undocking mechanics you need to know. The first is that you always undock going full speed.  That's half of your requirement for entering warp taken care of right there. The second is that you always undock facing somewhere in a 15 degree cone form the station entrance. Therefore, if you have a point to warp to that's in a line leading out from the entrance, you've taken care of the other half of the warping requirement. So what you need is something you can warp to in front of the station. Good news, you can warp to bookmarks. So what you have to do is get in a frigate with a microwarpdrive, undock, don't adjust your direction at all, turn on mwd, fly way the fuck out and then set up bookmarks. As I said, you undock in a 15 degree cone, so if you can get a vector that is coming out towards the middle of that cone, that is best before you motor out. You'll want long distances, it takes a while. 150km is close enough to warp to, but everyone can still see you and people aren't dumb. I start dropping bookmarks at 1000km + and will continue on the same line making more of them, to give myself options, going out as far as 3000km or more. Now that you have your instas set up, all you have to do is undock, see that there are threats to you nearby, select your insta BM, instantly warp to it, quickly go and nobody can camp you in a station. If you don't have instas, you probably wont' die but people can scram you and prevent your warp before you align, requiring you to redock before they kill you, which can be real fucking quickly. Make instas everywhere. They're great in highsec wars.

4th and most important thing that makes pvp consensual is scouts. One guy in a fast and cheap frigate or a ship like an itnerceptor or covops can save a whole lot of people a whole lot of isk He moves ahead of you on your route, keeping one system ahead, looks in local channel for threats and you just follow along. If shit is threatening, he can find out where int the system (i.e. if it's on your route) these threats are and you can go ahead or adjust your course or be patient depending on if he finds the reds or not. Scouts are the bomb. Always ask friends to scout when you're moving shit you care about through dangerous places or in dangerous times (highsec war declarations) and always scout for your friends and corpmates in return. Make it known that you'd love to do it for them whenever (a good time to point this out is after your stupid corpie lost their raven moving it two systems over for a mission during wartime) and you'll never lack for people to scout for you. 

5th is bookmarks. Get bookmarks everywhere. On grids with gates in various directions and distances over 200km. Off grids of gates (grids are the area of space where you can see other stuff on your overview) they can be stretched by objects. I forget what the official distance should be but it's around 450 or 500km, I usually drop bookmarks 1000km out for off grid so I can be as sure as one can I won't get fucked by stretched grids.

Sixth. Rancer. Don't jump into Rancer. The gate is camped. I guaranfuckingtee it.

That's kind of it for avoiding ganks. Well not by a long shot but ti's enough to start with.  You can earn isk without having alt accounts to mine with 4 versions of yourself, but mining is boring as shit anyways. I haven't played since they started the missions for frigates but I'd assume that's good isk. You have to aim low to start with. Don't expect to be able to pull in the big bucks with low skill points. That being said, if you focus your training on an income generating thing like mining or Mission running your income per hour will steadily increase. 

For your question of how long it takes for a good ship and skills. It's been a long time. Some of the tech one frigates can be very good ships, and you can be useful in them to tackle in pvp within a week. You'll be able to use those ships to their full abilities if you focus on maxing your frig skills in about 6 months and get into some t2 frigs as well.  Yeah it's a long time, get used to it and welcome to EVE.  You can get into a battleship before too long, but you can easily get into a BS too soon and have way more ship than you can handle for your skills. Spending a lot of time training your navigation, tanking, gunnery or missile support skills while working your way up through frigates, cruisers and battlecruisers is  never a bad thing, particularly if the frigate missions they added pay well.

The satisfying explosions in EVE are spaceship explosions, and all weapon systems and races can deliver those. Gallente is the drone race. The path is vexor cruiser, myrmidon battlecruiser and then dominix battlleship for level 4 missions. Domis are boring as shit and drones are generally seen as good at pve but not so much pvp unless you're talking big fleets of t2 drone ships and you wont' be doing that for a while. Gallente are also good for blaster. Amarr do drones as well, and lazers. Pewpewpew. But amarr aren't  ships don't really do drones for pve like the Gallente do. Maybe there's some exception in the BC hulls sizes. Caldari do missiles and Minmatar are autocannons. Caldari were the popular choice for pve missionrunning when I played,  with their t3 tengu being the standout ship. You'd start out in a kestrel for level ones, then move into a caracel and sit in a drake for a long time burning through threes while you trained into your tengu. (and trained so you can fly it well, not just fly it at all, they're pricey). It's mostly just 4 different ways to do the same things. i have no idea what the current meta is for who is op, but every race will always have some standouts in different hulltypes. You might pick one that has great frigates, tech one or two, meh or at least passable cruisers and then kickass battlecruisers and okay battleships. Maybe your race has awesome cruisers and then kickass heavy assault cruisers. None of the races should ever be entirely fucked in all categories.  It won't hurt much to make 4 trial accounts and spend three days playing each race to get a feel for each of them, you'll make up the time lost in the end and if you find something you enjoy you'll thank yourself for it.

So. Every contract, deal or offer you see in a local channel is a scam. No fucking exceptions. Additionally, any situation where it looks like you're going to get one over on another player to make some easy cash is also a scam and you are the mark. 95% of the scams in EVE rely on the mark's greed and ignorance to work.  So play nice until you learn what the scams are.  That seldom used item you're about to buy for 15 million and then sell to the sucker one system over for 40 million isn't actually worth 15 million. Use market history.

Grinding isk is boring as fuck. Doing it with friends makes it acceptable. Find a corp with nice people that chat on coms as soon as you can. 

The big market is Jita IV, moon IV, something something navy. Amarr, Hek and ummm, I forget Gallente's market hub are the other ones. 

If you like deep games and MMOs that are fully about community, then it's worth getting past the UI of the game and really digging into it.

If they still exist Red versus Blue is excellent for getting you into pvp quickly and teaching you what you need to know for small ships. You'll want money saved up, because you'll learn pvp by getting yourself blown up over and again. I spent the large majority of my time playing in RvB, Red Fed is best fed. 

If they still exist Brave Newbies will always undock and offer you a fight. They're awesome for doing that. 

Pandemic Legion will always hotdrop you. They give no fucks. They're good for some fights too, but after the fun has been had expect carriers. 

Goons DO NOT RECRUIT IN GAME. That's a recruitment scam you were just offered. 

Exploration is fun, but only pays off in nullsec and wormholes.  Maybe wait to do that or train covops quickly and learn how to survive in dangerous space. In a covops ship,  you can warp while cloaked. You can't operate your microwarpdrive cloaked, but you can get one cycle of it off if you activate it just after clicking your cloak. Here's what happens if you jump into danger in a covops. First, you'll be cloaked after the jump, because warp magic. Every ship gets this, the cloak won't go way because of proximity to other ships, but it will go and stay go if you move at all. So you assess the situation, determine if you're going to try and warp out or go back to the gate. Your'e in a covops so you can usually warp but if they have ALL of their friends maybe crash the gate. SO you've made your choice, you're warping. What you do is double click in a direction is space away from any close frigates and interceptors. Then you instantly activate your cloak and MWD. One right after the other. Their dictors will pop their bubbles when you appear on grid, you can't warp from inside the bubble but the one cycle of MWD you get will allow you to coast outside of it while cloaked. Then you warp, not to your outgate because, again, we never warp gate to gate in nullsec because we're smart.  So you just warp to anyplace, then someplace else, then to someplace where you can dscan your outgate and then out. That's how you fly covops in null. If you can do that, you can do nullsec exploration in an NPC nullsec region like Stain. 

Every single time you jump through a wormhole, the first thing you must do is drop a bookmark on the other side while still cloaked so you can find it again in your pod when some kind stranger has blown up your ship for you.

You never have to lose a pod outside of a nullsec bubble. Google E-Uni adn overview and follow that lesson, pay attention to the podsaver part and then switch to that overview tab, pick something and spam warp when your tank fails.

If this seems like a lot of information to start with, it's because we're talking about EVE.

• Goldsmith88Goldsmith88 Member CommonPosts: 3
    I've also been thinking about playing EVE.  Haven't played an MMO since Ultima Online many many moons ago.  At first I loved UO for its open ended danger and quirky bugs, it made survival fun.  I wasn't very good at PvP back then and probably haven't gotten any better as the years have rolled by.  But I like the danger factor and the cost if you dont use your brain.  I watched UO turn into a game for babies as the masses howled, and it was a real shame.

Now been researching and watching youtube gameplay to see if EVE is something I am willing to risk the wrath of my wife for.  Have to admit the trailer graphics are awesome, noob that I am.  But watching a recent battle (hunt?) recently, I'm just, meh.  the leader spent most of the hour corralling his fleet to do what they needed to do to trap another fleet, they were obviously trying to avoid battle.  Once trapped, the numerically superior group and I'm sure superior firepower trashed the other fleet, I think it took less than 3 minutes.  I didn't see much in the way of individual tactics, guess that's not in the game.  I assume I was looking through the leader's screen, where he hung back so he could put everyone on screen in front of him.
    I guess one of the questions I have is whether there is the possibility for innovation in combat, through development of unique technology and applying unique tactics based on that technology. 

It would be neat if one was rewarded for ingenuity.  

So far EVE seems complicated to master yet very basic in some ways and rigid in gameplay.  I could be wrong since I have no idea what I am talking about, but still intrigued enough to keep researching.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    I've also been thinking about playing EVE.  Haven't played an MMO since Ultima Online many many moons ago.  At first I loved UO for its open ended danger and quirky bugs, it made survival fun.  I wasn't very good at PvP back then and probably haven't gotten any better as the years have rolled by.  But I like the danger factor and the cost if you dont use your brain.  I watched UO turn into a game for babies as the masses howled, and it was a real shame.

Now been researching and watching youtube gameplay to see if EVE is something I am willing to risk the wrath of my wife for.  Have to admit the trailer graphics are awesome, noob that I am.  But watching a recent battle (hunt?) recently, I'm just, meh.  the leader spent most of the hour corralling his fleet to do what they needed to do to trap another fleet, they were obviously trying to avoid battle.  Once trapped, the numerically superior group and I'm sure superior firepower trashed the other fleet, I think it took less than 3 minutes.  I didn't see much in the way of individual tactics, guess that's not in the game.  I assume I was looking through the leader's screen, where he hung back so he could put everyone on screen in front of him.
    I guess one of the questions I have is whether there is the possibility for innovation in combat, through development of unique technology and applying unique tactics based on that technology. 

It would be neat if one was rewarded for ingenuity.  

So far EVE seems complicated to master yet very basic in some ways and rigid in gameplay.  I could be wrong since I have no idea what I am talking about, but still intrigued enough to keep researching.

There is a generous 30-day free trial, just download the game and try it out.

There is probably one advice I can give you: Forget everything you know and put all expectations aside.

The biggest hurdle for new players is how drastically different EVE is from any other game on the market but if you enjoy learning new things, EVE will be a blast. You can explore vast amount of curious game mechanics without spending time on grinding, leveling
     or w/e in order to unlock the content, majority of the game is available to you from day 1.

EVE combat is all about tactics - taking right decisions at the right time and despite it might not seem so, quite a bit of skill in piloting to exploit game mechanics to your favour. There is a large array of ships, weapons and electronic warfare to your disposal, possibilities are endless.

As far as group PVP goes, it is same as anywhere else - larger the group is, less impactful individual is. When 30 ships open fire on you, it does not matter how good you nor how your ship is fitted, you are going down. Group PVP is about discipline and co-ordination, like I said it is the same as in any other game. 

Fly safe!
    Thanks for answering a prospective's questions.  Right now I'm running an 3yr old dell laptop, made up my mind to put together a "value-conscious" game machine, but its about a month away, in process right now of waiting for parts to upgrade wife's machine, once her machine is smooth then I can focus on acquiring parts for me and moving forward.  

Also, the time available to spend in EVE will be quite limited.  That's part of why I need to research whether this is a good fit.  There will be times when I suddenly have to log off and deal with stuff.  I'm old, got young kids.

Back to combat, I get that overwhelming numbers was kind of a bushwhacking.  Will look for more vids to watch, preferably to see how the lone wolfies roll.  Sure the decision tree starts from cut and run, or stay and fight, but am still looking to find see if bit more nuance is possible.   

Is this truly a 3d game?  
          Does piloting matter?  Or position?  
          As in are you weaker from the underside/rear, etc
    Can you be rammed?
    Do objects (geography?), like planets and asteroids come into play?

Dont mean to be flippant, but gates, blocking gates, immobilization, invisibility, all that exists in lots of games.
    edited August 2015
    Thanks for answering a prospective's questions.  Right now I'm running an 3yr old dell laptop, made up my mind to put together a "value-conscious" game machine, but its about a month away, in process right now of waiting for parts to upgrade wife's machine, once her machine is smooth then I can focus on acquiring parts for me and moving forward.  

Also, the time available to spend in EVE will be quite limited.  That's part of why I need to research whether this is a good fit.  There will be times when I suddenly have to log off and deal with stuff.  I'm old, got young kids.

Back to combat, I get that overwhelming numbers was kind of a bushwhacking.  Will look for more vids to watch, preferably to see how the lone wolfies roll.  Sure the decision tree starts from cut and run, or stay and fight, but am still looking to find see if bit more nuance is possible.   

Is this truly a 3d game?  
          Does piloting matter?  Or position?  
          As in are you weaker from the underside/rear, etc
    Can you be rammed?
    Do objects (geography?), like planets and asteroids come into play?

Dont mean to be flippant, but gates, blocking gates, immobilization, invisibility, all that exists in lots of games.
    Logging off - once you log off, your ship won't disappear from the world immediately but your ship warps away to safe location where it remains for some time, depending on whether you were engaged in combat or not.

There are some exceptions but unless you are in the middle of PVP encounter, it is generally safe to just leave the game when you have things to attend to.

EVE can be played very casually just fine.

Combat - EVE is open-world PVP game(FFA) and as such it has it's pros and cons that comes along. Combat very tactical, thus = "nuances" :)

3D - yes, it is fully 3D

Piloting - yes, piloting and position matters(in PVP). However, it is no "jets in space".

You are commanding your ship so fly in direction, fly to object, orbit object, keep distance from object are commands you use to move your ship around.

Facing towards target has no effect but your position and direction you are moving on the battlefield are vital. Weapons have their range and are affected by target's speed and vector they are moving, ie. if I fly small/nimble ship and I am orbiting you at close distance, you might not be able to hit me.

Ramming - yes, there is a collision detection including mass of objects in effect, you can be rammed and your movement direction shifted.

Geography - I am not sure what you are asking there, the geography of the world is 3D.

EVE can put you into many situations similar from other games because those aren't related to game mechanics but tactics in general, the difference is combat mechanics and how those situations are handled. EVE combat system is less twitchy but on ter other hand it allows for much greater complexity.

Try to launch the game on your Dell, it might not run the game on highest settings but it should be enough to get you familiar with some game mechanics.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    You can always launch MIcrosoft Excel, I hear if you combine it with powerpoint you can make some explosions!

Sorry couldn't resist.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

To clarify the question on geography is there such a thing as dodging asteroids or landing on them if it happens to be big enough?  I take it EVE ships aren't designed to enter a planet's atmosphere, or can you? 

I guess I'm wondering about the scale the game plays on.

Somebody mentioned ramming is possible but is there damage?  Can a smaller craft be used to ram a megaship turret or engine for example kamikaze style?

To clarify the question on geography is there such a thing as dodging asteroids or landing on them if it happens to be big enough?  I take it EVE ships aren't designed to enter a planet's atmosphere, or can you? 

I guess I'm wondering about the scale the game plays on.

Somebody mentioned ramming is possible but is there damage?  Can a smaller craft be used to ram a megaship turret or engine for example kamikaze style?

No landing on asteroids or planets.

Correct - ramming is possible but no damage.
  • IkonoclastiaIkonoclastia Member UncommonPosts: 203
    I'd give it a miss. When EvE first released it was awesome. Now it's beyond mediocre.

CFC is around 40,000 accounts which means they're largely untouchable, have infiltrated CCP as devs, moderators, the player representative (supposedly) CSM.

Ships balance is atrocious, with cruisers able to easily solo battleships and fights largely being just ganks.

As for griefing, I quit after having a Goon with 5 accounts follow me around for 4 months, 24/7 and CCP refused to do anything about it. 

Players with trillions of ISK will happily lose 400 million ISK worth of ships and fitting suiciding your empty freighter or battleship and fitting anything other than average gear to PvE will result in you being suicided.

There a stupid group of player alts in high-sec called Code whose primary purpose is to suicide your 30 to 50 million isk mining barges with 5 million isk destroyers. 

The player forums are toxic and moderated by Goons so you're posts will usually be locked, personal attacks by CFC will be ignored and the devs really couldn't give a damn. 

Aweful game these days

• Billr00Billr00 Member UncommonPosts: 135
    I'd give it a miss. When EvE first released it was awesome. Now it's beyond mediocre.

CFC is around 40,000 accounts which means they're largely untouchable, have infiltrated CCP as devs, moderators, the player representative (supposedly) CSM.

Ships balance is atrocious, with cruisers able to easily solo battleships and fights largely being just ganks.

As for griefing, I quit after having a Goon with 5 accounts follow me around for 4 months, 24/7 and CCP refused to do anything about it. 

Players with trillions of ISK will happily lose 400 million ISK worth of ships and fitting suiciding your empty freighter or battleship and fitting anything other than average gear to PvE will result in you being suicided.

There a stupid group of player alts in high-sec called Code whose primary purpose is to suicide your 30 to 50 million isk mining barges with 5 million isk destroyers. 

The player forums are toxic and moderated by Goons so you're posts will usually be locked, personal attacks by CFC will be ignored and the devs really couldn't give a damn. 

Aweful game these days

Your rant screams of someone who never found his niche or wasn't willing to fight/adjust tactics to succeed. 

EvE is a great game ... where consequences of your actions matter.  It's also a game of numbers... no one is going to waste 400 mil isk suiciding you without a reason .. 

and mining barge ganking is easy to avoid if your not afk lol 

you are the one who seems toxic and since you had a bad experience you are trying to steer people away from an obviously good game.. 

You want realism go outside, you want a game with real consequences and a tough learning curve that keeps the Call of Duty LEET kids out .. come try EvE.

(mic drop) lol
  • Quazal.AQuazal.A Member UncommonPosts: 859

Aweful game these days

I would consider this the far extreme of eve, i have played for 9 years, been ganked once, never been griefed, been podded 1 in highsec from smart-bomber who was bored when jita gate was closed.

I will happily lose 400m ships for lowsec giggles, just because a player can aford to lose a ship that you cannot afford makes no difference

I have been running plexes and missions in lowsec in a tengu valued at abotu 8bill isk (nb not on this toon) and have no been caught once , Why? because i know the mechanics and know how to watch local, know how to fly not afk 

The fact is in EvE if you make yourself a victim you will be a victim, and as for the anti-goon / anti-code its pointless , they are around, they have the numbers so some woudl argue the power. But the funny thing is people moan about code and goons and yet will do NOTHING about it. I remember the days when the BoB v Goons was the balance that eve needed, and when BoB got disbanded everyone cheered (except bob) and yet since then all people do is moan that goons do what they want... Well its a case of "put up or shut up". get an a alliance together and take them on. Or let me guess "i cannot do that wont get a force big enough". 

I have never flown with any of the big alliances, in fact due to my game history im anti-goons (merely because of the WI) but i dont care about them, they play their meta game, i play my game. 

Fact is back to the OP.. 

in eve you will lose a lot of ships over time, but your single rule really should be, make sure you can afford to lose what you fly, i used to use the simple formulae of "ship+mod+cargo cost x 3" if i didtn' have that in my wallet then i never flew it, today i can lose multiple billions, and yes it would suck but short term loss :)

This post is all my opinion, but I welcome debate on anything i have put, however, personal slander / name calling belongs in game where of course you're welcome to call me names im often found lounging about in EvE online.
    Use this code for 21days trial in eve online https://secure.eveonline.com/trial/?invc=d385aff2-794a-44a4-96f1-3967ccf6d720&action=buddy

• Minuszer0Minuszer0 Member UncommonPosts: 54
    edited October 2015

1.  Don't mine.  Mining is for bots and bot-aspirants.  It's boring as shit, the skills required aren't useful for other gameplay aspects, and the income isn't competitive with other income sources.  For a new player, exploration has a better payoff, with less time invested, and mostly into skills that everyone needs anyway, so I usually suggest that. 

2.  You'll have a "good ship" on day 1.  You'll be shit with it, but the ship itself is probably pretty good.  Eve ships are not a progression ladder, and bigger does not necessarily mean better, especially when calculated as a function of cost.  This belief is generally pretty deeply ingrained in most MMO players and overcoming it is often difficult (See the above post with the whiner complaining about cruisers being able to solo a battleship.  That person has never broken out of that mindset.  To them, a bigger ship = leveling up). 

Bigger ships are definitely "stronger" in some regards, but weaker in others:  They have more tank and more raw damage.  They're slower, are easier to hit, and have trouble hitting smaller, faster targets, too.  New players often think their shiny new cruiser is practically invincible compared to frigates, because the numbers are so much bigger.  They are most definitely not.

3.  No.  High sec is relatively safe, provided you don't do something stupid.  You generally have to be "worth" suicide ganking, and you have a lot of control over what you're worth.  If you buy a PLEX, put it in your cargohold, then go sit outside of Jita 4-4 then, yeah, you're going to get ganked in short order.  The rules are slightly different for miners; some people will gank those just because it's cheap and funny, especially the undertanked varieties.  Use a Procurer and throw some tank on it, you'll be fine.  Use a Covetor because you simply MUST HAVE MAXIMUM YIELDZ?  All bets are off.  Best find a quiet system.

Low sec is a different story.  If you can be shot, you will be shot.  Keep an eye on local and learn to use D-scan.  Definitely use a small, fast, cheap ship for your first forays out of high sec - you're probably going to end up taking the MedClone Express home.

Do accept that losing ships is a fact of life in Eve.  IMO, every new player should, within their first month, buy 10 cheap frigates and fly them into low sec and get themselves blown up (if you can take someone down with you, awesome), just to acclimate themselves with losing ships.

And always obey the golden rule of Eve: Don't undock in anything you can't afford to lose.

4.  Gallente for drones.  Amarr also have some serviceable drone ships, but it's a racial focus for Gallente.  However, you're not "locked in" to any particular race's ships in Eve.  Racial choice is effectively cosmetic.  You can train any character for any/every race's ships.
  • user547user547 Member UncommonPosts: 150
    They need to make a lot of changes to make the game worth playing, but some people are making money off the gray market and they wield too much power over the company.  It's just not going to be fun unless you like griefing.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    If you have an empty character slot you can create a new character and go explore where ever you want.  Most won't bother with you and if you do get destroyed just get another starter ship and keep going or delete the character create a new one and continue exploring.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• Minuszer0Minuszer0 Member UncommonPosts: 54

1 - No. You need at least one scout account to safely haul loot, and you need other logistical accounts if your isk making is industry-related.

2 - Fairly quick, but it will be useless if you don't have alts

3 - You will be harassed constantly. Scammers' spam in local (local chat which you have to keep an eye at all times to check for local pop spikes). If you travel outside high-sec you will be ganked, and you will be ganked in high-sec unless you check everything all the time

4 - I recommend playing another game, hell I recommend playing games, EvE is not a game, it's a sociopathy simulator. People log in not to play pretend being spaceship pilots, they log in to purposefully make unsuspecting gamers like you rage and quit

1.  lolwut.  You don't need to scout for a  high-sec ore hauler.  That's not a common gank target.  There are situations where a scout is handy.  This isn't one of them.  You certainly don't NEED alts.  I've run them in the past, but right now I only have a single account going.  My "active" income is mostly sourced from solo play in null sec (doing a lot of exploration right now).  I have no problem bringing my goods to market, and owing to the high value/m3 of T2 salvage, I'm typically coming in with billions at a time.  You just have to not be a complete idiot about it.  I generally use a Jita gate other than perimeter,  I have bookmarks set far within the 4-4 docking perimeter, and I have a cloak. 

I also commonly make use of courier contracts, because hauling things is for peasants.  You can pay someone else absolute chump-change to move your shit and, in return, they assume all of the risks of high-value transit.

My unsubbed alt account was strictly industry focused.  I never used "other logistical accounts" for that, either (other than the money, I really don't interact between them - the whole point of doing industry on a separate account was that I could make semi-passive income while my main is off doing the pewpew).

I moved most of my raw mats and output with courier contracts, with a few rare exceptions (T3 subsystems in an Orca, back when the corp hangar was unscannable).  You can generally move up to a collateralized billion worth of stuff for about 750K/jump, less if you're willing to wait longer, more if you're in a hurry.  

If you have to haul yourself because your industrial business plan can't accommodate that as a business expense, then you're doing something wrong.  Minerals you mine yourself are not free.  Same goes for hauling. 

2.  See above.  Alts are far from necessary.

3.  Short of war decs, you certainly don't need to watch local anywhere that actually has spammers.  And "check everything all the time"?  Christ, I AFK autopilot through high-sec constantly. 

4. That's quite the persecution complex you've got there.