Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do graphics ever stop you from going back to an old MMO?

Comments

• PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856
    A bit off topic, but I'm finding the UI that annoys me the most is the console UI. Now that the vast majority of games have to be neutered to accommodate its limitations.
  • free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    Dauzqul said:
    I was very excited to learn about EverQuest 2's Time-Locked servers. It's been years and I couldn't wait to re-live the Isle of Refuge. However, after about 20 minutes, I just couldn't get into it due to how old it looks. I'm usually about the gameplay, but man...   I just couldn't get around it.
    Absolutely. Say whatever about games like League of Angels and the wallpaper ad's they offer but those texture packs are beautiful and with modern computers there is no trouble animating and rendering them. There is no reason for games to be uses old graphics. Updated graphics packs are expansion revenue just like content. People can say whatever about game play. Of course lipstick on a pig will fail but we don't spend $400 to $2000 on graphics cards to look at 8 bit graphics.
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    No . If i ready play the game in the past then graphic wasn't thing that stop me from go back to an old game.
    In fact , i prefer spirte arts or other 2D stuff instead of bad 3D
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Funny, I love going back to older games and the graphics do not matter to me at all. EXCEPT EQ2, my god, that game is absolutely fugly... Then again, I hated the art style the first time around so why would I like it now. It is a damn shame because that and the retardedly, artificially bloated skill bar are the things that are keeping me from playing this otherwise excellent game.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433
    edited August 2015
    Yes and no. It really depends on the aesthetic of the game more than the graphics alone. If the game has some kind of unique feel and look to it then sure I can go back to that experience again. But if a game lacks that, the dirty textures and models will usually be a problem for me.

I couldn't go back the EQ2 for example, hated the look. Although it was pretty demanding when it came out.

Top-down games with a hand-drawn look are also a big exception. I can go back to those no problem.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    I recently started playing EQ again so no, it never stopped me. I still play games from the mid 90's like Syndicate. Graphics are eye candy, gameplay is what makes a game great.
  • PalaPala Member UncommonPosts: 356
    I loved Anarchy Online and went back, I wouldnt say that graphics were the problem even though there was an initial shock but it was the UI that frustrated me and stopped me playing. On the other hand, none of the post 2012 games with their better graphics have kept me for longer than 3-4 hours. Most recently FFXIV, maybe the graphics are modern but the style is uninspiring, to me. For me the sweet spot was AOC, I liked the graphics and style and the game was borderline stupid as opposed to the recent ones which are just stupid regardless of graphics. Immersion is a strange beast, I dont think it is really to do with graphics but good graphics helps. 
  • knowomknowom Member UncommonPosts: 195
    Both yes and no in a lot of cases I might go back to one, but it can be a large factor for not staying for long. It can be hard to play a game that look insanely dated or plays like it's insanely dated or changed and butchered a lot from how you remember it. There are old games that I've played and enjoy thoroughly though too gauntlet 4 is wretchedly old, but the core game still is a heap of fun especially in multiplayer it's aged gracefully in the sense that the graphics don't really detract from it's core game play one bit. Playing a game like a Carmageddon now though is cringe worthy between blurry and low resolution textures even though the core game was a lot of fun in it's day.
  • knowomknowom Member UncommonPosts: 195
    Sorry should have used MMO's for examples, but w/e UO is hard to go back to cause everyone now uses graphic hacks for the frees to make them stumps and playing w/o them puts you at a disadvantage, but makes the game look like crap plus it's low resolution and pixilated as well. EQ has horrible textures in early zones with broken geometry mesh mapping and of course craptacular UI, but good core game otherwise.
  • HighMarshalHighMarshal Member UncommonPosts: 414
    I recently started playing EQ again so no, it never stopped me. I still play games from the mid 90's like Syndicate. Graphics are eye candy, gameplay is what makes a game great.
    I tried to play EQ again, but OMG is the gameplay sooooo slow! IT felt like, swing....wait.........wait....swing. I have gotten to used to the fast play of the modern games to ever be able to go back to some of the older games.
  • moonboundmoonbound Member UncommonPosts: 396
    I tried to play EQ again, but OMG is the gameplay sooooo slow! IT felt like, swing....wait.........wait....swing. I have gotten to used to the fast play of the modern games to ever be able to go back to some of the older games.
    Me to me to imcdermottuk.
  • Mr_PithMr_Pith Member UncommonPosts: 29
    If the game mechanics are fun, the lore/story good and the community non-toxic then graphics has very little impact in my opinion.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    I am back in EQ2. The graphics have held up very well . I don't see a problem it still looks good in my opinion and I love the game.

Chamber of Chains
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Been playing EQ2 lately as well. First 20 minutes bad graphics and clunky combat. Then I got used of it. Graphics aren't the problem for me once I get used of it.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Dauzqul said:
    I was very excited to learn about EverQuest 2's Time-Locked servers. It's been years and I couldn't wait to re-live the Isle of Refuge. However, after about 20 minutes, I just couldn't get into it due to how old it looks. I'm usually about the gameplay, but man...   I just couldn't get around it.
    Graphics don't but interface often does. For example, I have no problem at all with AC's or EQ's graphics, but the controls and UI are just clunky and poorly designed compared to modern MMOs. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• GazimoffGazimoff Staff WriterMember UncommonPosts: 225
    Yes, to a point. I occasionally dive back into WoW, although the engine's been overhauled a few times.

However, I've also tried to get back into Aion and Istaria, and both games have aged horribly. A large part of that is the visual style.
    Player of games, smither of words, former of opinions, and masher of keys. WildStar Columnist
    Currently playing: WildStar, Guild Wars 2, EVE Online, Vain Glory.
  • cesmode8cesmode8 Member UncommonPosts: 431
    Yes, among many other reasons, WoW's old graphics engine could prevent me from playing.  

• cesmode8cesmode8 Member UncommonPosts: 431
    This is off topic, but I think many people want a different style of MMO...not a wildstar, wow, GW2, ESO type of MMO.  Thats why Devilian has intrigued me so much.  Its not really an MMO, more of an ARPG, but its close enough.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Yes, graphics/aesthetics do matter for me. I'm not a graphics whore by any stretch, but they do matter. Afterall, there's a reason why I play video games and no longer play PnP RPG's. I like the visual aspect of the gaming medium. And it's important enough that it usurps the openness and depth offered by PnP.  If someone doesn't care about graphics, then why bother with video games at all? You can have a much better gaming experience without a PC/console.
  • LazzaroLazzaro Member UncommonPosts: 548
    Fdzzaigl said:
    Yes and no. It really depends on the aesthetic of the game more than the graphics alone. If the game has some kind of unique feel and look to it then sure I can go back to that experience again. But if a game lacks that, the dirty textures and models will usually be a problem for me.

I couldn't go back the EQ2 for example, hated the look. Although it was pretty demanding when it came out.

Top-down games with a hand-drawn look are also a big exception. I can go back to those no problem.

Yup, I played WoW for the first time in 10 years, and thought it looked just as good as newer games because of the art direction it took.  I'm the same with EQ2 I always thought the game was UGLY AS SIN and never played it because of that.
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    Gameplay > Graphics every time

However, when the graphics are really bad or just not my style, it takes a little bit of time to get past it. If the gameplay isn't that great, then the combination of bad graphics and average gameplay will usually make me quit. 

When it comes to MMOs specifically, I just wouldn't want to back to old games anyway. If it's a game I used to play then there is usually a very valid reason for me leaving (which isn't graphics related). Beyond that, I firmly believe the first 6 months after release are the best times for playing an MMO. Its during that time period where everyone is exploring, happy to group up, crafting hasn't trivialised all the content and the devs haven't had to dumb anything down yet. I wouldn't want to start playing an MMO if I'd missed out on all of that.
  • Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642
    It's all about the graphics for me. I hate going backwards. After starting with Pitfall on the Atari 2600 and looking at the graphics now, I just can't go back to that stuff. Which is why I always try to get the best video card in my gaming rig.
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    edited August 2015
    No.  I went back to EQ1 and the graphics bothered me for about a week.  Once I adjusted they no longer bothered me.  There is just nothing else out there like it featurewise so I guess you would have to suck it up and play until you adjust.

Honestly the UI is a more valid reason and tougher to adjust to than the graphics in most games.
  • RenfailRenfail Member EpicPosts: 1,638
    I think it depends on the game. I can still enjoy EQ1 or Baldur's Gate even though they are very dated by today's standards. But then I've tried to go back and play Pools of Radiance again, or Quest For Glory 1, and they are just so extremely out-dated that I've left those for the "fond memories" category. 

Meanwhile, I think EQ2 still looks amazing, despite its age; they did a good job of future-proofing that game when they developed it. 
    Tim "Renfail" Anderson | Wandering Hermits Patreon
  • AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    Familiarity breeds contempt. That's what keeps me away from ex-games.
    Never been able to care about graphics enough for them to matter.