Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WildStar F2P Please Stop Selling Me Money

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited August 2015 in Videos Discussion

imageWildStar F2P Please Stop Selling Me Money

Check out Lock Six

Read the full story here

Comments

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Torval said:
    MMORPG Please Stop Making Me Watch Videos for editorials that could be better and more succinctly expressed through a written article.

You know articles can be figured out and the direct input can have a direct output. I have a feeling these videos are produced to further monetize me through advertising revenue and that makes me feel uncomfortable.

I hope you get the point.

edit: Corrected poor formatting. Your comment formatting is inconsistent with your forum formatting and also makes me feel uncomfortable. I understand you're working on this but it doesn't alleviate the great discomfort I feel from this.

Don't even feel like clicking the link after reading this.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• koljanekoljane Member UncommonPosts: 171
    Most boring voice, everytime I wanted to listen to one of his thoughts I started thinking how nice would be to slit my wrists.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    You guys are HARSH.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• Xav_MMOXav_MMO Member UncommonPosts: 49
    edited August 2015
    To the point you wondered about, from what I have read in the past, real money transactions are intentionally obfuscated via multiple levels of in-game currency for exactly that reason - to distance you from the actual cost of an item.

The data seemed to show that it was easier to get people to buy something if they could not directly or easily compare it to the real world. "Hey - wait a minute. Am I really about to buy this PixelThing that costs the same amount as a couple days' worth of food?"

Obviously though, there can be TOO many layers - as you've illustrated.

Edit: Formatting
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Torval said:
    @BillMurphy I wasn't trying to be harsh. I don't mind his video presence. My point about having to watch video articles applies across the site. I hate watching them. They take a ton more time and rarely have anything in the video that adds to the editorial. I don't think the author does a bad job at the video. I just don't like the medium. The only video I watch consistently are those funny review videos by the HIveLeader.

My sarcasm was built on the complaint that RMT monetization makes people uncomfortable and yet the first thing I got when watching the video was an advert. I know that YouTube and Google are taking metrics off my account watching the video. It just seemed ironic.

A written article can be reviewed and contemplated while responding with the discussion. By the time I've finished watching the video I would have to take notes in order to have a meaningful discussion on it.

So apologies if my OP came across as harsh. That wasn't my intent. But I do still stand by my point that the article would have been better delivered in text.

No worries. Expect MUCH more discussion in written form on WS F2P. I know that @Gazimoff is working on it. :)

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    You guys are HARSH.
    I enjoyed it. I like the speaker. More please. Thanks.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Xav_MMOXav_MMO Member UncommonPosts: 49
    bcbully said:
    You guys are HARSH.
    I enjoyed it. I like the speaker. More please. Thanks.
    It was better than Cats! I could watch it again and again!

(No disrespect to the person who voiced his opinion, the quoted just made me think of an old SNL bit. :) )
  • CandyCaneNJCandyCaneNJ Member UncommonPosts: 187
    koljane said:
    Most boring voice, everytime I wanted to listen to one of his thoughts I started thinking how nice would be to slit my wrists.
    I don't share your opinion. I really like his voice actually. I think he has some valid points but I don't feel as strongly as he does, that's for sure. His voice has a presence and cadence that is pleasing to my ears. 
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    edited August 2015
    So, F2P with all its currencies and crap is only alright as long as Richard Aihoshi shoves it down our throats with his borderline insulting asian games propaganda "articles" or when Trion gives mmorpg.com exclusive "interviews" (=aka free advertising) about how exciting lockboxes are and why Rift contains a million currencies... Got the message. Edit: formating was a mess in the old forums and still is in the new one.

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    written articles are way better for ppl like me (english isnt my 1 language ) , hard to watch a video only to understand half is what said :( , YT subs arent helping either
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Keep the videos coming, I love them
  • unfilteredJWunfilteredJW Member RarePosts: 388
    edited August 2015
    I'll always skip video "articles".

I have no interest in your bad delivery of information. There's a reason people good at it aren't doing these videos.

This is a blanket statement across all sites like this.

I'm a MUDder. I play MUDs.

Current: Dragonrealms

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Yeah..way too many currencies!!! Just the names tired me out. Maybe they can merge all event token in one universal event token, all pvp/pve token in a similar way? too many currency will just make people confused.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    The reason for the multitude of currencies is not to confuse the spender about how much they are spending ( a single system of virtual currency works more efficiently for that), it is to lock the spending into different buckets. NC Coins can be used across NC Games (not necessarily just WS). Free spins for the wheel can not be used on other wheels, or on other games, or in other portions of the game. Do you see where this is going? They are offering more advanced 'reward' systems for different types of spending, and are locking them to that type of spending. Is it confusing, yes. Does it frustrate the customer, yes. Does it help in retention, no. Does it make them more money, yes. These systems work very well for the short term, and only have minor negative effects. However, they do eventually cause people to get frustrated and stop spending/leave... but mostly after they have spent a bit of money, and used these systems.
    Ya I find when I have more then a handful of currency to track I go a little bonkers. I also think its done just like you said, the hot dogs vs buns thing. They want you confused to spend more money.
  • ShadowzanonShadowzanon Member UncommonPosts: 350
    To know i do intend to delve into BnS and it already has a similar format. well two currencies were brought up n i hope it does not go to far to add to many to confuse me.
  • WightyWighty Member UncommonPosts: 699
    koljane said:
    I couldn't agree more with this... This guy just has this monotone way of making me want to stick a power drill in my ears... Less Lock more Hive plz!

What are your other Hobbies?

Gaming is Dirt Cheap compared to this...

Wighty said:
    koljane said:
    I couldn't agree more with this... This guy just has this monotone way of making me want to stick a power drill in my ears... Less Lock more Hive plz!
    Ouch, thats just mean.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    The presenter aside, because I find him fine, I find it confusing that adults don't understand that fake currencies exist solely to divorce the customer from the fact that this is 'real money'. It has nothing to do with 'fun'. It have everything to do with tricking you into spending more. It's all part of the smoke and mirrors manipulations of so called 'F2P'. I have been saying this for years.
  • TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    Vesavius said:
     It have everything to do with tricking you into spending more. It's all part of the smoke and mirrors manipulations of so called 'F2P'. I have been saying this for years.
    It's not just you and not just any random MMO player that's been saying it. R2Games, a company that makes a truckton of cash from F2P games, outright said it in their business presentation on the matter, proving that companies themselves really do it on purpose and also that it's so blatantly OBVIOUS that they don't even bother hiding the reason they're doing it (since it's a public presentation).
  • Righteous_RockRighteous_Rock Member RarePosts: 1,234
    I will just say the main reason I have drifted away from gaming is because of how they are monetized. It's a culture change and it wasn't graceful. It has shaped me now as well and I don't ever see coming back to gaming like it once was for me.
  • DejoblueDejoblue Member UncommonPosts: 307
    I will just say the main reason I have drifted away from gaming is because of how they are monetized. It's a culture change and it wasn't graceful. It has shaped me now as well and I don't ever see coming back to gaming like it once was for me.
    YT reprasent! I do not care for the video author, he is and always has been a troll that shouts his opinion over other participants voices. I am not surprised in the least that his format of choice is video where he doesn't have to acknowledge any discussion either way.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    They probably complicate things to make it harder to figure out just how much money your spending and as a time sink. Like cell companies and cable tv complicated plans or how stores sell items that are slightly different which make it harder to tell what you're getting for the price they're asking.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• ZagatoMKRZagatoMKR Member UncommonPosts: 263
    Yeah sometimes too many currencies are really confusing and devs should have planned better in the first place, I agree. As for GW2, them going account-wide currency and even some gear/skins/rewards, made the game better.