Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do violent video games make YOU violent?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] UncommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • HowbadisbadHowbadisbad Member UncommonPosts: 453
    greenreen said:
    Careful guys, if we get violent in this thread someone will document it and I'm not talking about the NSA hehe
    Those PHD people seem to lurk around here always asking people to fill out surveys, you'll end up in some study next week titled "Does asking gamers if violent games make them violent make for violent discussion?".
    Replace "asking gamers is video games make them violent" with "trolling"

Waiting for:
    The Repopulation
    Albion Online

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Sovrath said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Sovrath said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Sovrath said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    The military uses violent games in training because a soldier is more likely to take the shot because of playing these violent reenactment warfare games. If it can change an adult how can we be so naive to think it wont do so with kids? 
    I strongly suspect there is other training involved.

And is it that they take the shot because they "want to and have the desire to kill" or is it because it trains their reflexes to quickly recognize hostile from non-hostile targets?

I strongly suspect the latter.
    I suspect its both. So with a kid who wants to be violent also reinforces this with M rated games that tell him its ok to be violent. Then parents wonder why he hit a kid at school.  
    But I suspect that is ONLY because that individual IS violent to begin with. As Iselin pointed out, these outlets just allow that individual to live out their little fantasies.

If not video games it will be movies, if not movies then books.

We have had violence as well as individuals with a predilection for violence long before video games or TV and even movies.
    Yes, video games is just one form of media that effects us. If you think media does not shape our thinking, then why do companies spend millions and millions to get 30 seconds of ad time at the Super Bowl? If media didnt effect us we would not see ads. Now think of the impact thats made on us in 30 seconds, think of the impact games, shows and more has on a kid over many years. If the kid is already aggressive in nature, what have you done? Nothing? Really? Now ask how many people are aggressive by nature? Gut reaction would say not many but our history is filled with violence. In the past 100 years we have killed more people in war then we did in the 2000 years of history before it. Is things getting worse? If the answer is yes, why? You can say video games have no part in it but I would disagree. 
    But the logic isn't there.

by that logic all a company would have to do is spend some money for an ad and "clean up" as everyone would be "affected and motivated" to buy their products. As opposed to those products/services resonating with a person and then them making the decision to buy them.

The premise is "Do video games MAKE people violent" and there is not evidence they MAKE people violent.

The only caveat I see is that they can be an outlet for people who are already violent, as has been stated. Now, if "you" are affected by violent video games then I suspect you are one of the few who can claim that dubious honor.
    Logic by who's standard? =-) Its clear you are a student of the people who teach media does not effect us. I have read the studies of both sides and I agree with the side that says its a huge impact on our formative years, with only a small impact on adults. I have read many studies on this and agree with them because I have seen it in application in real life. Its a logical as it gets. Not saying your side has not used logic you have just used it to find a different result. Thats the problem with logic, you can use it to paint what ever picture you want. In the end, we will know better over the coming next few generations. Only question to be answered, will things get worse? I think they will.
  • TanemundTanemund Member UncommonPosts: 154
    What about people who play healer classes?  Does playing video games make them more likely to be sympathetic and make them go into the medical field?

Many a small thing has been made large by the right kind of advertising.

• zerocountzerocount Member UncommonPosts: 200
    edited August 2015
    I have been playing video games since I was a kid, I wasn't violent then and I am not violent now and if anyone says otherwise I will find them and beat the living sh*t outta them........
    zerocount said:
    I have been playing video games since I was a kid, I wasn't violent then and I am not violent now and if anyone says otherwise I will find them and beat the living sh*t outta them........
    LOL
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Nanfoodle said:

Logic by who's standard? =-) Its clear you are a student of the people who teach media does not effect us. I have read the studies of both sides and I agree with the side that says its a huge impact on our formative years, with only a small impact on adults. I have read many studies on this and agree with them because I have seen it in application in real life. Its a logical as it gets. Not saying your side has not used logic you have just used it to find a different result. Thats the problem with logic, you can use it to paint what ever picture you want. In the end, we will know better over the coming next few generations. Only question to be answered, will things get worse? I think they will.
    Logic by the standard of x + y = z

As was mentioned in this thread, if violent video games "made" people violent we would have a huge epidemic of people who were playing call of duty or some such thing. I don't know of any epidemic of violence where every person who played such a game became violent.

If media "made" people do things then it would be easy for any company to hire an ad agency and be filthy rich.

But, and at least I can attest to this though "your" mileage may vary, if I see an ad I don't automatically go out and do what the ad says.

Apple just came out with the "apple watch" but not everyone has one, including me who is a fan of their products.

There are car commercials everywhere but not everyone has a car just those who want/need one. That might be a large number but if an ad could "make" me buy a car then I and others I know who do not have cars would have them.

McDonalds would be cleanign up but not everyone eats McDonalds and even their recent stock price has  gone down as more and more people are turned off by their type of food.

But if all they had to do was take out an ad then everyone would be eating their food as much as possible. Remember, we are talking about "making" people do something not making people aware of something. Those are two different things.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Nanfoodle said:
    Thats the problem with logic, you can use it to paint what ever picture you want. 
    No wonder you think video games make people violent...
  • MrSnufflesMrSnuffles Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    All of these psychopaths and serial killers watched TV. TV has become a lot more violent in the last 50 years. Does TV increase violence?

I can make you a handful of studies that suggest that TV, Religion, Magazines, Music, Soda, McDonalds and many other things make people violent. Does that make them true?

There is no correlation between Video Games and Violence. End of story.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton
    Community Manager, MMORPG.com

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,079
    No. I've been playing games my whole life and never once even thought of doing actual violent things lmao. Not at all in my nature. There's a lot of studies that have been going on on this subject for a long time and no evidence has come up, no patterns, nothing at all to indicate that video games make people violent. Most people have enough brain cells to draw the correct conclusions that what they see on a screen shouldn't be emulated in life. People who commit violent acts based off what they see in video games, movies, media in general always turn out to be people with severe, ongoing mental health issues that are totally unrelated. 

Bottom line, there is NOTHING that points to video games making people do violent things, or even encouraging people to do violent things. It's not exactly how the brain works.
    Sovrath said:
    Nanfoodle said:

As was mentioned in this thread, if violent video games "made" people violent we would have a huge epidemic of people who were playing call of duty or some such thing. I don't know of any epidemic of violence where every person who played such a game became violent.

If media "made" people do things then it would be easy for any company to hire an ad agency and be filthy rich.

But, and at least I can attest to this though "your" mileage may vary, if I see an ad I don't automatically go out and do what the ad says.

Apple just came out with the "apple watch" but not everyone has one, including me who is a fan of their products.

There are car commercials everywhere but not everyone has a car just those who want/need one. That might be a large number but if an ad could "make" me buy a car then I and others I know who do not have cars would have them.

McDonalds would be cleanign up but not everyone eats McDonalds and even their recent stock price has  gone down as more and more people are turned off by their type of food.

But if all they had to do was take out an ad then everyone would be eating their food as much as possible. Remember, we are talking about "making" people do something not making people aware of something. Those are two different things.
    x + y = z huh. Did you know movies today that fall under PG-13 would gets an R rating 15 years ago? Jaws that was R rated in the 70s looks tame by TV show standards today. IMO its like a frog in boiling water. You chuck him in and he will jump out. Now if you drop him in room temp water and slowly turn up the heat you can cook him to death and wont jump out. We are that frog and kids over the past few years are being fed violence on a level never done before. We have not had the time to finish the outcome of your equation. x + y = yet to be answered. I have used my logic to come up with what I think is coming. You have used yours to say all is ok. We will see who is right over time. 
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Video games don't make me violent at all. I figure most people are rational and able to determine the huge difference between pixels and reality. Shooting someone in a video game and shooting someone in real life are so far apart there is a serious underlying mental health issue if your unable to separate the two.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

All of these psychopaths and serial killers watched TV. TV has become a lot more violent in the last 50 years. Does TV increase violence?

I can make you a handful of studies that suggest that TV, Religion, Magazines, Music, Soda, McDonalds and many other things make people violent. Does that make them true?

There is no correlation between Video Games and Violence. End of story.
    Title for new thread: Do people make TV, movies and video games more violent? And why can't we have nice things?
    Nanfoodle said:
    Sovrath said:
    Nanfoodle said:

x + y = z huh. Did you know movies today that fall under PG-13 would gets an R rating 15 years ago? Jaws that was R rated in the 70s looks tame by TV show standards today. IMO its like a frog in boiling water. You chuck him in and he will jump out. Now if you drop him in room temp water and slowly turn up the heat you can cook him to death and wont jump out. We are that frog and kids over the past few years are being fed violence on a level never done before. We have not had the time to finish the outcome of your equation. x + y = yet to be answered. I have used my logic to come up with what I think is coming. You have used yours to say all is ok. We will see who is right over time. 
    And there is no possible way that societal standards have changed? Maybe we have grown up as a society? Or maybe that has more to do with the business of movies and trying to get more people in theaters?

Besides that has nothing to do with "making" people violent.

Taking a person who has no inclination for violence and turning that person into a person who is violent. I think you will be hard pressed to prove that.

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Sovrath said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Sovrath said:
    Nanfoodle said:

And there is no possible way that societal standards have changed? Maybe we have grown up as a society? Or maybe that has more to do with the business of movies and trying to get more people in theaters?

Besides that has nothing to do with "making" people violent.

Taking a person who has no inclination for violence and turning that person into a person who is violent. I think you will be hard pressed to prove that.
    Tell you what, when things start looking so bad you start saying. "What the hell is wrong with everyone" because riots are common and crazy is happening everywhere. Just remember my post =-) Happened to the Romans and we we are following the same social curve. A crash is coming.
    Nanfoodle said:
    So having moved violent rating implies peole being more violent...? Nope, there is no logic or sense in anything you said so far.
  • BluddwolfBluddwolf Member UncommonPosts: 355
    I was a teenager in the late 70's early 80's...  I played D&D, I played video games, listened to heavy metal, smoked, drank, smoked a few joints from time-to-time, had only 3 fights throughout all of Jr. High and High School, have tattoos, own guns, served in the military (Desert Storm Veteran) and I never killed anyone nor would I say I'm violent.

All of that "entertainment" leads to violence is utter bull crap.  

The only thing that would make me violent is someone threatening or harming my family or me.  

Played: E&B, SWG, Eve, WoW, COH, WAR, POTBS, AOC, LOTRO, AUTO.A, AO, FE, TR, WWII, MWO, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, NWO, WoP, RUST, LIF, SOA, MORTAL, DFUW, AA, TF, PFO, ALBO, and many many others....

Nanfoodle said:

Tell you what, when things start looking so bad you start saying. "What the hell is wrong with everyone" because riots are common and crazy is happening everywhere. Just remember my post =-) Happened to the Romans and we we are following the same social curve. A crash is coming.
    http://www.history.com/news/history-lists/8-reasons-why-rome-fell

• Painbringer7Painbringer7 Member UncommonPosts: 121
    Iselin said:
    What always gets me about the studies that find a correlation between video game playing and aggressive behavior is that the obvious elephant in the room is never mentioned. Which is that there is much bigger historical and current correlation between religion and aggressive behavior often on a massive scale.

People who are already fucked up individuals will use whatever they have been exposed to and is handy when they create their dissociative fantasies. Very often it's warping of religious texts they have been exposed to, often, especially in soccer, it's pathological identification with a sports team, sometimes, as in the Colorado movie theater shooting a couple of years ago, it's associated with comic book or movie villains or heroes. So doh, sometimes their warped fantasies are associated with video games.

But it doesn't make video games any more of a contributor to aggressive behavior than team sports, religion, comics or movies. It's just fucked up people doing fucked up things. The articles claiming a correlation are just examples of shallow scapegoating.
    Not just religion, but any group that believes they are superior.  Unless you are calling science a religion? Don't forget Hitler's genocide was based on the "White Is Superior" thinking that was started by eugenics.  But yes, people do not need a reason to do evil things.

The code of the pessimistic loner: "We unpopular loners are realists, who follow the three non- popular principles: Not having any (Hope), Not making any (Gaps in your heart); And not giving into (Sweet talk)".

• MsGamerladyMsGamerlady Member UncommonPosts: 192
    edited August 2015
    To answer the OP, not one bit. If I feel aggressive I don't take it out on those around me. I know it's all about me and not them. If it were I'd change my surroundings and those who are around me. It's all about personal growth/evolution. You either get it or you stagnate. IMO of course ^_^

edited August 2015
    Nanfoodle said:
    Roman empire fell because the society became violent...? Where did you get your history lessons(assuming you have ever taken any)? :-)
    edited August 2015
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Gdemami said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    So having moved violent rating implies peole being more violent...? Nope, there is no logic or sense in anything you said so far.
    I literally know dozens of people who have been gaming, watching tv and movies, etc for over 15 years and never committed a violent act. Not to mention the millions I don't know but I can see evidence of. Agree with Gdemami here if you want to predict the future by looking at the past we will probably see even lower numbers of actual violence as more people sit in front of monitors shooting pixels.

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

Gdemami said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Roman empire fell because the society became violent...? Where did you get your lessons of history? :-)
    Roman empire became more violent as time went on. By the end of its rule there was many reasons they fell but a part of that was its pure love for violence. Its permeated every part of their lives. I have done much reading on the subject. Again, go ahead and google it.
    Nanfoodle said:
    Gdemami said:
    Nanfoodle said:
    Roman empire fell because the society became violent...? Where did you get your lessons of history? :-)
    Roman empire became more violent as time went on. By the end of its rule there was many reasons they fell but a part of that was its pure love for violence. Its permeated every part of their lives. I have done much reading on the subject. Again, go ahead and google it.
    You know, you keep saying that. Ok, share with us some of the "much" reading on the subject please.

I don't expect you to document it like a Ph.D. paper but there are a lot of wacky books out there that could be considered "much reading" on the subject.

I think there are many societies that were violent and then over the years "reasons" happened and they evolved into other societies.

Additionally, you still haven't shown that if I take a person who is not prone to violence and make him play call of duty (or pick your poison) for a year or so that they will suddenly want to take out an amusement park.