Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do violent video games make YOU violent?

Comments

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Vrika said:
    lahnmir said:
    When there is an outbreak of massive violence people go looking for a reason, a scapegoat, even when there is none. Because people need a reason for something to happen, especially a tragedy and nothing is worse then admitting it 'just happened without rhyme or reason.'  There are crazy people out there, they do not need videogames to do what they do or anything else. Sometimes life is random and without reason and really, really shitty and unfair.
    I disagree, there is always a reason.

Randomness of life is just another scapegoat like violence in video games. Anything to believe in as long as those doing well themselves don't need to admit that a person is 3 times as likely to get murdered in USA as he's in Canada.
    You might have misinterpreted me there. I do not mean that there is never a reason, most of the time there is. However, there truly are random acts of violence or people that ' snap.'  Not because of videogames, movies, music, chemical inbalance or whatever, nothing the victim or the murderer 'did'  that caused the situation to happen. Most things have a logical reason for them to happen but I do believe in a certain ' chaos' factor. Otherwise everything would be able to be regulated or predicted through means of science, medicine, therapy, society changing, curing poverty, controlling media or food. etc. etc. It is something I simply do not believe in, neither do i want to in all honesty, I like a bit of randomness, just not this extreme or hurtful. Just look at the phenomenon called Love.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• martinmillanmartinmillan Member UncommonPosts: 9
    cura said:
    Yeah, but only when they are overhyped, overpriced, bugged and poorly optimised ;-)
    Haha so true! :)
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Watching the news on TV about murderers, arsonists, and all sorts of violent actions with so little penalty is more effective at making people more violent because that is real life, and since the charges are usually so minuscule they (violent people) arent afraid of it. But hey, news reporters need to eat so they always have to shove negative news on peoples faces.

So there you go. If any weak person turns violent with a form of media, its the news media.

• AntiquatedAntiquated Member RarePosts: 1,415
    I wonder if watching public executions correlated with politically radicalism.
  • ET3DET3D Member UncommonPosts: 325
    edited August 2015
    From what I read about the research, it's pretty clear that there are short term negative emotional effects for playing a violent game. The research deliberately says that there's no proof of a link between games and criminal behaviour.

Personally I don't remember any effect regarding violence, but I do remember that when I played UT2003 it made me a bit more paranoid (in the short term). I've read enough to know that I'm not unique in that, that playing games where survival depends on detecting threats around you can also transfer this to real life.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    I think violent videogames actually helps people vent frustration instead of making them more violent. Same thing with paintball and airsoft.
    That doesn't mean that playing 14 hours a day is good though, but that isn't so much about the violence as you needing to face reality now and then.
  • Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955
    mgilbrtsn said:
    Found this story on BBC about violence and violent video games.  It references mainly games such as Call to Duty, but MMOs are violent also.   You kill things, you chop of body parts in some of them, you assassinate, etc.  Plus in MMOs you have the fantasy escapism ala Mazes and Monsters (For those who get the reference) which some claim can also have a negative impact.

For the record, I think it is in large part hocum.  I imagine it can affect someone who is having other issues, but I don't believe it to be the cause. However, it is an interesting discussion which I thought I would share.

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-33960075

"More than 200 academics have signed an open letter criticising controversial new research suggesting a link between violent video games and aggression.

The findings were released by the American Psychological Association.

It set up a taskforce that reviewed hundreds of studies and papers published between 2005 and 2013."........

There is other research that says competitive sports games cause many more violent outbursts than violence oriented video games do, and after playing both I agree.  Getting killed in a multi-player shooter may get a response of "SHIT", before I respawn and carry on but losing a vital game in football manager in the last seconds because my defender had a brain fart can see various objects going airborne heh.
  • Flyte27Flyte27 Member RarePosts: 4,574
    From personal experience I do feel a bit tense after playing video games sometimes.  I've found there is a difference between physical activities like sports though.  While sports can trigger the same emotions (especially for men who have a different chemical makeup) they also let your emotions out through physically exhausting activities.  There are also non violent sports that will allow you to go at your own pace.  This allows you to relax and release some energy in a healthy way at the same time.  The more relaxed you are when you end up in a confrontation the more likely you are to make it through without any violent reactions triggering inside.  It's why a lot of people do things like Yoga, running, swimming, biking, hiking, etc.  Video games can be relaxing (even violent ones) if you approach them in a way where you don't really care about winning/losing/getting to the end quickly.  Some people like the intensity of conflict and that will make them more prone to losing control of their emotions at times (not necessarily physical violence), but at least uncontrolled outbursts IMO.  A lot of this is from my own personal experience.
  • ET3DET3D Member UncommonPosts: 325
    Loke666 said:
    I think violent videogames actually helps people vent frustration instead of making them more violent.
    In another discussion someone quoted an article about how research shows that "venting" doesn't really works, and instead increases a person's anger. By contrast contemplating your feelings or thinking about something else completely helps reduce anger. Video games might work as a distraction, but if they're used for "venting" they might have detrimental effects.
  • dorugudorugu Member UncommonPosts: 184
    edited August 2015
    it depends on th person doubt any normal guys/gals get violent just cause theyve played violent video games if tht were th case thn id b an xplöosion maniac since i jus loove to play minecraft w a tnt mod n blow mountains up n ofc crash th game due to it runnin out of memory :) n ofc if i can i play mmo classes tht has huuge xplosions involved cause i loove seein things go boom in games :)
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,007
    Nope played a psycho crack head eliminating the competion. Found it oddly amusing and a little unsettling but fun none the less. Doesn't mean I go out and shoot other people.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    Games do not make me violent at all, and if anyone disagrees with me I will beat the ever loving crap out of them.
  • Jonas_SGJonas_SG Member UncommonPosts: 475
    Fdzzaigl said:
    Yes, playing violent games makes you more violent and aggressive. Just like a million other activities and events in life also make you more violent and aggressive. Therefore making aggression gained through videogames a trivial event.

The problem with all studies and documentaries I've seen on the subject, is that none of them ever take the effort to compare violent videogames to any other type of play or even a violent situation in life.

Anyone who has ever looked at, or participated in, a tense game of football between kids (or even adults) knows how much aggression is released there. Same deal with kids simply doing games by themselves in the garden or the playfield, invariably conflict will arise. Heck, just look at everyday traffic situations and how much aggression is going around there.
    What's important is not that you become aggressive due to circumstances, what's important is that you learn to channel it and place it in a context.

Just yesterday some arsehole was willingly blocking me in traffic when I was on the way home, even though he was breaking the law doing so. When I persisted, took my right and slipped in before him, he generously made a ruckus with the horn and remained stuck to my aft bumper for as long as he could. All the while I was fantasizing about ripping his throat out.

Does that mean I would've done so given the chance? No of course not, because I know the limits of aggression and even though he was an asshole I can still explain his behaviour away. Because everyone wants to get home as quickly as possible from work.

Aggression, conflict and violent behaviour are parts of life. The ones who learn us how to deal with them are our parents in the first place and our other wards, like teachers and so on, in the second place.

If there's any problem with aggression in present day society, it's likely that those people don't put enough time in to actually guide the next generation in how to cope with their aggression. Usually because they simply don't HAVE enough time to do so.

So if a parent interrupts their kid who's in the middle of some raid in WoW to force him to the dinnertable and gets a bad reaction. Well, they usually have themselves to thank for it.  Especially if they don't have a clue what their kid is doing and didn't set clear rules and standards to begin with.

So you aggressively  responded to his aggression, confessed on the forums that you wanted to commit homicide, publicly insulted him.
    And than added that's it's normal and you know how to limit your aggression.

You sound like a ticking bomb.

• jazz.bejazz.be Member UncommonPosts: 962
    Never felt like shooting someone all though I've been playing shooters my whole life.

But violent games could inspire certain people, I'm sure, inspiration has to come from somewhere.
  • UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568
    Rap music causes violence
  • free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043
    edited August 2015
    Other forms of media have been trying to vilify games for as long as there have been games. Games are media and they consume huge chunks of time, time you could be spending watching TV, surfing the web, watching movies, listening to the radio. Being exposed to their product and revenue stream, being their listener, viewer, subscriber.

Do video games make you violent? Of course not. They do insulate you from advertising though and they remove you as a potential customer if you are a media based company.

It started back when someone made a movie about a bunch of kids playing AD&D for real, something that has never happened outside a movie. Real cases of violence? The 'CNN superstar' who goes out and shoots 10 people to make a name and it is spurred by mainstream jerking peoples chains to get a rise out of them.
  • CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    You know what makes me aggressive? The fact that we're still spending millions of dollars a year on studies like this, considering they've been studying it since the 80s (or earlier if you want to talk about aggression in general). Seriously, when is enough enough? Until such a time as we can hook someone up to a machine and say, "Yes they're aggression level is 82.7" then what's the point? I could do a study today that samples 100 people and shows that aggressive video games make people happier than non-aggressive games. All depends on who you're wanting to impress with the results and where your funding is coming from. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• neumneum Member UncommonPosts: 143
    Yes,  I am planning on doing a mass dragon killing just waiting for my new two handed sword to arrive from china.

• VelocinoxVelocinox Member UncommonPosts: 1,010
    Vrika said:
    There was an interesting research last year that discovered a link between failing in video game and aggression: http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-26921743

According to that research video games make you feel aggressive when you fail and get frustrated, and non-violent video games have the same effect as violent video games.
    This story also included the following...

"One recent study suggested that playing violent video games for long periods of time can hold back the "moral maturity" of teenagers.

Problems arose with teenagers who spent more than three hours every day in front of a screen, continuously playing these violent games without any other real-life interaction."

'Sandbox MMO' is a PTSD trigger word for anyone who has the experience to know that anonymous players invariably use a 'sandbox' in the same manner a housecat does.

When your head is stuck in the sand, your ass becomes the only recognizable part of you.

No game is more fun than the one you can't play, and no game is more boring than one which you've become familiar.

How to become a millionaire:
    Start with a billion dollars and make an MMO.

• sanshi44sanshi44 Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    edited August 2015
    Nope but lag sometime makes me a little angry :P so if goverment want to get rid of angry gamers they need to fix there god darn internet lines. (Aussie internet is rubbish)
  • OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Horusra said:
    Stizzled said:
    Horusra said:
    Exposure to violence does not make you more violent it only desensitizes you to seeing violence.
    Exposure to violence in a video game doesn't desensitize us as much as studies like these would like us to believe. We've all seen someone's head explode in a video game, yet I imagine most of us haven't seen it in real life. I can promise that if we did we wouldn't just shrug it off because we witnessed it in a game.

You are taking an extreme example.  Study have shown that two people fighting that would have shocked people in the past is more ignored now.  The thought of using a gun more accepted.  The news of violent deaths does not disturb people as much.
    I wouldn't even blame video games for that. We now have access to news and media 24/7. We see and hear about this shit constantly. We witnessed War in Iraq with anchors imbedded with the units. It's media and social media in general. As I told a friend the other day who had commented on how bad the world was getting... It's not any worse, you're just now hearing about every single incident in detail. Our kids are desensitized by default now.
  • DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Not at all. I've been blowing holes through peoples heads for over 15 years now via FPS. I've been slaying demons and players for over 12 years now via MMORPGs. I'm not talking casual player, either. Hardcore hours.

I wouldn't hurt a fly...

There are way more issues with "those types of people", e.g., depression, stress, etc.
  • jonp200jonp200 Member UncommonPosts: 457
    After a steady diet of Road Runner cartoons as a child, I grew up wanting to stab everyone in the face.  OK not really.... As much as the various pundits out there want this to be true, the overwhelming data out there points to this just being false with one small exception.  If you take someone already mentally ill and immerse him or her in an environment of violence you can  make things worse; "poking the bear" so to speak.

Seaspite
    Playing ESO on my X-Box

Velocinox said:
    This story also included the following...

"One recent study suggested that playing violent video games for long periods of time can hold back the "moral maturity" of teenagers.

Problems arose with teenagers who spent more than three hours every day in front of a screen, continuously playing these violent games without any other real-life interaction."

There are older studies showing about the same thing about kids who spends hours in front of the TV every day.
    Honestly do kids need to physically interact with other people on a daily basis, just sitting at home isn't good no matter if you play GTA or study the bible.

Funny enough are usually the same people worried when the teenagers play pen and paper RPGs (lots of social interaction) or go out and drink a few beers. Moral panics isn't good either but as a parent you of course need to see that your teenagers spend some time in the real world.

But blaming the games for it is just silly, in fact soccer fans tend to get far more violent than gamers.