Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Which Anti-Virus for PC?

MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531

Which anti-virus do you guys recommend for PC?  I only use this desktop for going to trusted sites and playing games.  I was going to download the free versions of AVG and Avast, but both directed me to download.cnet.com.  The last time I downloaded something there, it included that effing Search Conduit browser hijacker, which was a huge pain to remove.  I don't mind paying for a quality product.

Thanks!

Comments

• MightyUncleanMightyUnclean Member EpicPosts: 3,531
    Man, no opinions on this?
  • KettzKettz Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Microsoft Security Essentials is good for me. little memory usage and quiet
  • RecklooseReckloose Member UncommonPosts: 39

If you're on Win 7, Microsoft Security Essentials works fairly well. If you're on windows 8, the built in Defender works pretty well.

If you feel you need more robust security than Microsoft provides with those, then Norton Anti-Virus (and only AV, the bigger packages are crap).

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    I use malware bytes and Norton 360.
  • KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    i use avg and malwarebytes.  Never had any probs myself from dowlload.cnet.com btw, so could be worth another look and u should be able to dl from other places if you're still worried.
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    I use Bit defender. I haven't got any virus, so I'm assuming it works pretty well.

I self identify as a monkey.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

NOT Norton, there have been numerous reports how bad Norton is.

I am using McAfee and so far I have no complaints about it.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    Originally posted by Kettz
    Microsoft Security Essentials is good for me. little memory usage and quiet

Is this a joke?

Avast and Trend Micro are both good. The big test last year was Fin-^sher trojan, both these anti virus detected it.

A good anti-virus should also not have it's origin in any of the FVEY countries.

Originally posted by Karahandras
     Never had any probs myself from dowlload.cnet.com

Do not ever download something from CNET, they include malware, adware and bundleware wrappers.

Never ever download anything from CNET or SourceForge.

These idiots have been doing it for years and people still fall for it.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

The professionals I work with have years of tests behind them, and the two best anti-virus packages by far are ESET and Bitdefender. Everything else is below the quality and reliability of those two.

Originally posted by Kiyoris
    Originally posted by Karahandras
     Never had any probs myself from dowlload.cnet.com

Do not ever download something from CNET, they include malware, adware and bundleware wrappers.

Sourceforge? Bullshit.

Sourceforge distributed malware through their Installer. Just google Binkiland.

They removed it just now because of bad press.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• ThodraThodra Member UncommonPosts: 444
    AVG

The professionals I work with have years of tests behind them, and the two best anti-virus packages by far are ESET and Bitdefender. Everything else is below the quality and reliability of those two.

Sourceforge? Bullshit.

lol, sourceforge has been bundling malware for years

welcome to the internet I guess

latest example: http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/05/sourceforge-grabs-gimp-for-windows-account-wraps-installer-in-bundle-pushing-adware/

I think it's hilarious you say "professionals I work with", when you don't even know sourceforge is filled with malware.

Yeah, I'm sure you're a "professional", lmao.

lol @ bitdefender btw, you're hilarious

second place in most Antivirus reviews

oh boy, anti-virus review? you serious?

go look at how bitdefender scored against finfisher injections

it stopped NONE, full pass, no warning, full trojan injection of finfisher

bitdefender is a piece of crap

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    Sometimes I think anti-virus company create their own viruses so they can claim their anti-virus detects them first. Even with the best anti-virus, it won't protect the system from User Error. In my eyes, the anti-virus doesn't matter as long as they have a decent team working on it constantly. A month after a virus hits the web, most will be able to detect and deal with it. The only real problem are 0-day viruses and ones users install on their own. So to that end, I recommend the ones which are lighter on system resources and less restrictive like ESET NOD32 or Microsoft Security Essentials. If you are more prone to install Antivirus 2015 because a popup said it detected 23 viruses, then you probably want something more restrictive like Norton or MacAfee.
    second place in most Antivirus reviews

go look at how bitdefender scored against finfisher injections

it stopped NONE, full pass, no warning, full trojan injection of finfisher

bitdefender is a piece of crap

just to add, bitdefender got hacked a day ago, hackers are releasing all user data

http://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2015/07/31/bitdefender-hacked/

told you bitdefender is a piece of garbage

BTW, the hackers say the passwords weren't encrypted..

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433
    edited August 2015
    I have Bitdefender. One of the first antiviruses that I feel like I got my money's worth for. It's lightweight, doesn't bother you with constant messaging or updating. Plus even the cheapest version comes packed with some nice utilities that assist you in getting the necessary security updates and cleaning out the trash off your PC (on par with something like CCleaner).

I also use Revo Uninstall to regularly do a sweep of my installations. Keeping them to a minimum if possible.

Most important thing is being critical of your installs yourself though.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    edited August 2015
    ESET NOD32. No contest. People send me viruses all day and it's kept me virus free for like six years now (knock on wood). It's incredibly light, focuses on heuristics, and is super effective.
  • FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433
    I can imagine that you get tons of malicious shit showered over you every day managing a site like this. So that's probably good advice from MikeB.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856
    edited August 2015
    Another thing I believe in using is a firewall that will monitor and regulate outgoing traffic. And not many of them will (that is, at least the last time I tried to find a good free one 3 or 4 years ago). I settled then on "Privatefirewall'.

Yes, it's a bit of a hassle to learn how to use it. And to have to okay (once) every programs outgoing stream. But on the other hand, it is a real pleasure to nix the outgoing communications of some programs and certain  Windows Services after they have no good reason for calling home anymore. Also, for example if you see an unknown program called something like "iloveyou.exe" or "#^23*&k**.exe" trying to contact an IP address in Russia etc., you can probably be sure you've got trouble. No matter if you've had an alert from your antivirus software or not.

Post edited by Pynda on
  • PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856
    edited August 2015

A firewall is built into windows since a long, long time now...

I realize that. But it has an extensive set of permissions built in (anyone with a certificate?), and I'm also pretty sure it trusts by default any .exe being run on your system. Ask yourself, when was the last time the Windows Firewall ever asked for your permission to allow communication? I'd say the answer was never, for me.

I am sure you could manually write rules for the Windows Firewall if you really wanted to. But how do you write a rule for an .exe you aren't even aware is installed?

Edit: Afraid I might be saying something stupid, I took a (another) look at the built in firewall in Win7. It can't regulate or monitor outgoing traffic at all. And that's its problem.
    Post edited by Pynda on
  • BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    Lot of good one's out there but I love Norton Internet Security! It has never let me down. But really they are all good just don't trust the free one's pay for it.
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• MystearicaMystearica Member UncommonPosts: 6
    @mgilbrtsn ;

Agree - doesn't slow computer and does a good job protecting

Tried others like AVG, Malware, Kaspersky, Norton etc etc.  Bitdefender is by far my fav
  • dragoonwizdragoonwiz Member UncommonPosts: 3

Which anti-virus do you guys recommend for PC?  I only use this desktop for going to trusted sites and playing games.  I was going to download the free versions of AVG and Avast, but both directed me to download.cnet.com.  The last time I downloaded something there, it included that effing Search Conduit browser hijacker, which was a huge pain to remove.  I don't mind paying for a quality product.

Thanks!

@MightyUnclean i use comodo internet security
  • BlackNoiseBlackNoise Member CommonPosts: 4
    Kaspersky is the only anti-virus I trust. It hasn't disappointed in the many years I used it. I would definitely stay away from Norton because, as far as I remember, no matter how times I scanned my old PC with it, it keeps coming up with scanned threats as if they were never removed in the first place.
  • ChedyChedy Member CommonPosts: 4
    @MightyUnclean ;
    Malwarebites is the best