Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A community in denial

2»

Comments

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Aragon100 said:

It is so funny to read threads over at SotA forums and on steam that describe the game pretty much negative and watch the SotA hardcore community go into denial (most likely the ones that funded the game with loads of cash early on and cant accept they have thrown their money away).

Last thread where this denial comes forward is one that take up all the negative reviews this game have gotten on steam

www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/553-reviews-on-steam-and-154-negative.35092/

- and just about all of the carebears comes running to defend the game they now have cause developers listened to their suggestions. 

Funniest part is that the negative feedback you can find on steam is feedback that describe the game and it's features and the positive one's describe the developers and how they have faith in such seasoned developers (very little constructive feedback why they have given this game a positive review).

It is time for this community to wake up and see this game for what it is, a game that will fail horribly if not just about all features get a total overhaul.

There is no risk vs reward whatsoever, worst combat system ever created, no PvP except some arena duels, pay to win shop, +10 year old graphics, NPC communications that just about no one understands and on and on.

The game isn't even out yet is it?  I mean...who cares what people think before it's released...game's got to have a chance to release before it can be knocked to much.  

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,865
    Just because someone else likes something you don't, doesn't mean that it is bad. I personally have not played SOTA but I don't really think it is fair to claim that an entire community is in denial just because some of them like the game and you do not. It is also in Pre-Alpha, is it not? I think it might be a little early to judge the game. 
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    edited August 2015
    Aragon100 said:

It is so funny to read threads over at SotA forums and on steam that describe the game pretty much negative and watch the SotA hardcore community go into denial

Last thread where this denial comes forward is one that take up all the negative reviews this game have gotten on steam

www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/553-reviews-on-steam-and-154-negative.35092/

-

And is there truth to this part?

"A lot of the negative reviews are people saying:

'You're not forcing non-consent PvP and full loot! This isn't a full clone of what UO was at launch, so that makes your game terrible!'"

What is the denial? A game can have a million bad reviews but if the people who are badly reviewing it are simply stating preference then that's not really much of a review is it?

If these bad reviews are exactly that then aren't the people who are making these reviews the people who are in denial as they are ranting against something that was never intended in the first place.

Now, if those reviews were saying that there is an overwhelming amount of lag, crashing or they could explain why a certain bit of game play wasn't being implemented in a way that was captivating (keep in mind we are not talking preference) then sure there might be a problem.

It's one of the reasons I love reviews, it's not the "bad/good" stuff that I care about it's the "why"?

Same goes with positive reviews. If something gets 1 million positive reviews will I buy it or give it a try? No. Not until I know "why" the reviews say these things are positive.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • RiverBirdRiverBird Member UncommonPosts: 33
    "There is no risk vs reward whatsoever, worst combat system ever created, no PvP except some arena duels, pay to win shop, +10 year old graphics, NPC communications that just about no one understands and on and on."

I mean, I can't blame the guy, I kinda agree with him in most regards and don't know why people are on the hype train for the game, I've done my research and I'm not impressed :/
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Another day, another opinion disguised as something else. Really OP, no one is in denial. In disagreement? Yes, definitely, but that could also be fueled by your poorly worded, overly aggressive, slightly insulting, badly constructed post which contributed even less then most of the negative Steam reviews.

As for SotA? Think I am going to check it out some more, your post convinced me it might actually be worth it.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir 
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• gurugeorgegurugeorge Member UncommonPosts: 481
    edited August 2015
    I dunno, I bought into it, checked it out, thought it was quite ropey, but wasn't expecting any better.  Enjoyed some moments of wandering and combat.  Did a few bug reports.  I've checked in every now and again since then, each time it gets a wee bit better in various aspects, but it's still pretty ropey.

Just what I'd expect.  In fact, for a pre-Alpha, it's not so bad at all. 

It was a similar situation with Satellite Reign - very sketchy for a long time, lots of bugs, unsettled systems.  But lo and behold, it's coming together and looks in pretty good shape for release at the end of the month.

That's what it's like in the sausage factory of any creative endeavour - there are times when it can look like a pile of shite.  If you buy into checking into a thing during its creative process, it's quite possible it will look like a pile of shite several times, and still come out good in the end.  Anyone who buys into a thing in this way ought to understand that.  You are paying for the privilege of a peek into the sausage factory, and maybe helping make the sausages good in the end.  It will sometimes look ugly, even terrible, but unless you are yourself a game developer or someone with experience in other creative fields that involve teams, there's a strong chance you won't understand that.

I'll continue to check in with SotA every now and then, and I'll continue to expect nothing more than incremental improvements, with the occasional overhaul.

Some people are just a bit thick.  When you add entitled to thick, you get a mess.  But then again, that's the way Garriot decided to go for funding, so he can't expect any different.  I guess he thought it was better having a shot at making the damn thing, with the attendant risks of idiotic reviews and idiotic negative publicity, than not making it at all.

• AethaerynAethaeryn Member RarePosts: 3,149
    I still don't understand how people feel that you can't judge a game during different stages of development.  I could understand looking at some pre-alpha footage and expecting better graphics or animations etc, but so far I have alpha / beta tested many games.  15 years ago, sure. . an alpha or beta would see changes based on user feedback but today, even with kickstarter and the pledges of "being part of the development", there is not much hope of major changes.  I checked out the game when I was first able to, after backing it, then again just recently.  based on the timeframe and changes I can say it is pretty safe to judge this (and most) games based on what you see this late in development.  If someone hates the core mechanics of the game, chances are it is not going to morph into something they like later.

Wa min God! Se æx on min heafod is!

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    XAPKen said:

Judging by screenshots, I'd give you +5 year old graphics, but not +10.  That would be before TES Oblivion by a year.  To me, what I see looks like the tail end of DX9c, which puts it around 2009.

That is if you're talking about rendering.  I have only seen screenshots, so maybe other areas of the game have poor artwork.

It doesn't actually look so bad. Sure, there are modern MMOs that look better but there plenty rather new MMOs that look worse as well.

For a single player game it look similar to Oblivion, yes but MMOs very rarely look as good as singleplayer games and the few that did at release tended to have really high end hardware requirements and taking a year after launch to optimize so it actually runs good (AoC had those issues but did look great at launch to mention one, same thing with EQ2 besides the fact that it never run well even now).

Nah, if this is the worst part of the game I wouldn't worry, but I have a feeling that the gameplay will be less good than the graphics.
  • MrSnufflesMrSnuffles Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Nitth said:
    Originally posted by delete5230

Putting graphics aside, what's up with the small zones ?

Please tell me what is there to like about this game ?

Its Unity game.

Whenever you see a game developed in Unity, remember one thing : Unity was done for mobile market - small portable games that work on variety of platforms. It was never intentioned for open world PC games , let alone for MMOs.

Unity was NOT done for the mobile market. It was developed for PC gaming.

They may have refocused recently, but it was not originally the case.
    Does not change the fact that it can't handle the memory and performance needs for a real MMORPG. C# is just a bad language for an engine.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton
    Community Manager, MMORPG.com

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
  • jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Aragon100 is back again with his SoTA hate train.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Horusra said:
    Why does every game have to have PvP?

Because PvP Sandbox is what all the cool kids want. They don't actually want it, they just like to talk about it. It never works the way they want in practice, mostly because PvP happens.
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,056
    Rusque said:
    Horusra said:
    Why does every game have to have PvP?

Because PvP Sandbox is what all the cool kids want. They don't actually want it, they just like to talk about it. It never works the way they want in practice, mostly because PvP happens.

No, mostly because pvp in mmo's is not given any type of reason to exist, and griefers flock to it and get their joys out of making everyone else miserable. Pvp with meaning that makes murderers outcasts like Ultima Online did is what we need more of. Not some 12 year old running around ganking people who are leveling up just because they can, and without any repercussions. Even in medievil times murder for the sake of murder was illegal, but so called "hardcore" pvpers don't want to have anything at stake, zero consequences.
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Unless there's a game developer out there building a time machine that kind of PvP is gone. The gaming community has changed too much and the internet has changed too much. It doesn't matter what systems you build into the game, gamers today will find a way to use them and grief you because that's the point of the game for them.

This is why so many pvpers just shrugged and said, "mkay well I'll just play mobas."
  • AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    Coming to a forum for this game just to essentially call any fans of the game "in denial" is more than a bit baiting. Phrased that way, it doesn't encourage discussion. That isn't to say there might not be problems but consider the way you present a topic on here.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.