Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Poll] Would you play Time Lock Progression WoW?

Comments

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    I'd have to go with a modified version but make it to where it doesn't take away the difficulty of the game. I'd want updated boss mechanics, most bosses and dungeons were just tank and spanks till patch 1.6. Add in the dungeon loot / stat changes they added in during WotLK. Make it to where all class specs are viable to raid / pvp with, I'd prefer the skills / abilities that all classes used were when 4.0 came in and added focus to hunters. The last thing I want but most people think is what ruined the game is the group finder, I really don't like spamming for dungeons with 100 other people and have to sit there and sift through them all for the one I want, and get told "sorry full".
  • SoraksisSoraksis Member UncommonPosts: 294
    I would only play if it was free.
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    If it were free to play I would give it a go again. 
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I think the op summed it up best ..."a lobby game".
    However a couple things turned me off from day 1,the community seemed full of immature kids and when i finally hit a few really cool quests,they were bugged so i could not finish them.Eq2 a similar game sort of did the same thing,some needed mobs would be stuck under the ground,mobs aggro through walls both had similar problems.However Eq2 never at least imo turned into a lobby game but it did share one bad habit i did not like and that was constant chat spam WTS items that were not meant to be sold.

Both games played very similar but the difference was EQ2 was a more complete game with housing,nice housing items and imo the lighting and textures were a lot better.Point is that why turn Wow back to what i feel was it's worst state,if anything they have tried to up the graphics/textures a bit,i would try and push Wow forwards not backwards.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
    edited August 2015
    My answer is simply no. Not because I want WoW to die or because I "kicked the habit". I simply enjoy the game as it is. Remember what they say about the rosy remembrance of things past: The memories are often much, much better than the reality.  Think of it this way: The last time you looked at your high school yearbook probably made you cringe, though your memory of the photo is probably vastly more positive. :pleased: 

Count me as a resounding NO, though not for the stated reasons, therefore I did not vote.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907
    edited August 2015
    Stizzled said:
    I don't see the point. If someone wants to play WoW in any of it's previous incarnations they can do so, for free, right now. Maybe it's not official, but it's, for the most part, just as good.
    I for one will never play an unofficial "incarnation". I consider them on the illegal side of things even if technically not illegal.

Maybe these talented indy Devs that make these "incarnations" should be speaking with Blizzard and work with them to make an official vanilla server.
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    Since that is mainly a PVE thing, then no. I have always been a PVPer through and through in that game except when they put in arenas, which marked my signal to leave the game.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• isslingissling Member UncommonPosts: 162
    I have been screaming for this for months:) But I would like them to start with BC if possible but if not classic would be great. It is all the rage with EQ1,EQ2 and I can't think of the others lol getting old I am!(lineage) But anyways there is a huge market for this if only wow would do it. Unlike EQ and some of the other they would have to open ten classic servers unlike some of the other games that have one or two servers.
    SBFord said:
    My answer is simply no. Not because I want WoW to die or because I "kicked the habit". I simply enjoy the game as it is. Remember what they say about the rosy remembrance of things past: The memories are often much, much better than the reality.  Think of it this way: The last time you looked at your high school yearbook probably made you cringe, though your memory of the photo is probably vastly more positive. :pleased: 

Count me as a resounding NO, though not for the stated reasons, therefore I did not vote.
    I think your right and wrong, the response and feedback on these classis servers for other games have been huge:) Maybe the life span would not be as long on a classic server as when the game first came out, but I bet you they get their numbers back over ten million. I for one would resub in a heart beat!  
    Stizzled said:
    I don't see the point. If someone wants to play WoW in any of it's previous incarnations they can do so, for free, right now. Maybe it's not official, but it's, for the most part, just as good.
    I for one will never play an unofficial "incarnation". I consider them on the illegal side of things even if technically not illegal.

Maybe these talented indy Devs that make these "incarnations" should be speaking with Blizzard and work with them to make an official vanilla server.
    Stizzled said:

Maybe the savy gamer would know what to do, but the average person that plays wow would never seek out a third party. A set of classic servers would do more for the game then the last three expansions imho. Maybe they would be the first company to fix where they went wrong (in my opinion) and take the time and work on a different direction and do something other then cata and the other expansions. What do they have to lose? They could run two makes of the game. Better then starting from scratch.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,033
    Any chance you could add an option  :" No, rather play current version "

I would choose that one  =)
  • Gabriel-KnightGabriel-Knight Member UncommonPosts: 89
    I played in a private server a couple of years ago, it was based in vanilla and 99% bug free - i think the only thing that was sorta broken was Warriors charging sometimes through the floor, but nothing else. Every single thing was working, up until Drums of War patch (AQ was still in development tho), and the staff didn't accepted donations in any form, not even to help the server. That means, no help for anyone except to solve tickets, and it was good.
    I had a lot of fun... for a while. Leveled two characters to 60, one of them a Paladin (yes, it was soulcrushing), completed the Charger quest, collected the dungeon set and upgraded a couple of parts. I didn't raided mostly because i lacked the time for it, but most of the population was in MC every week.
    These servers are awesome, but i guarantee that you get tired very fast. Not only because you're stuck in time and feels like groundhog day, but also because MMOs are all about progression, and if you know that there's a line that will stop you and never change, trust me - you're gonna get tired pretty fast. Specially if it's something that you have already done in the past.

I'm not even gonna mention how hard is to retake old habits like forming a group in chat, grinding like a bot for crappy resistance items, or corpse walking (a true nightmare). It's not until you have to suffer them again that you know how terrible those things were, and i wouldn't have them in my games again. Also mixing the mechanics of today with yesterday's is a recipe for terribleness - something that you can understand when you play the timeless dungeons in the special weekends, which are laughable compared to what they were in their first days.

Having said that, what i really would love is a server that starts from scratch and follows the progression of the game exactly as it happened - patches coming with the same changes and bugs in the same original intervals. THAT would be awesome, at least to me, because it will be almost the same experience, no weird stuff around with teleportation everywhere and Facebook games.
    I would pay double suscription just to play that. I'm not kidding.
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Stizzled said:
    Personally Vanilla WoW would not be a success if rereleased today. The problem with modern MMOs is that they take 5+ years to make, so the vision of the developers by the time it gets released! may be different from what the community wants.

to better understand this I will compare it to Nintendo and their management . Nintendo management is often critiqued for their lack of understanding of current market trends. They seem to either want to do things radically different, or simply late to the trend party of what consumers really want.

when they try to just be radically different, it generates hype short term, but consumers quickly fall off after the hype for the newness falls off (Nintendo Wii/ Action Combat MMOs, Non-Trinity MMOs, FFA MMOs)

then there are the other times when Nintendo management is just so far out of touch with what consumers want (FPS game market, HD graphics, Mature Rated games/ story focused MMO, grindy level based MMO, raid content that is so hard hat it excludes most people, non faction PvP)

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    Stizzled said:
    Personally Vanilla WoW would not be a success if rereleased today. The problem with modern MMOs is that they take 5+ years to make, so the vision of the developers by the time it gets released! may be different from what the community wants.

to better understand this I will compare it to Nintendo and their management . Nintendo management is often critiqued for their lack of understanding of current market trends. They seem to either want to do things radically different, or simply late to the trend party of what consumers really want.

when they try to just be radically different, it generates hype short term, but consumers quickly fall off after the hype for the newness falls off (Nintendo Wii/ Action Combat MMOs, Non-Trinity MMOs, FFA MMOs)

then there are the other times when Nintendo management is just so far out of touch with what consumers want (FPS game market, HD graphics, Mature Rated games/ story focused MMO, grindy level based MMO, raid content that is so hard hat it excludes most people, non faction PvP)
    To better understand this...you will introduce something that confuses it more...I get it...

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 878
    WoW was good for it's time, but as all the failed clones over the years have shown, it's time to move on, and most people have. That said I wouldn't mind a WoW 2 with a bent towards the classic style (slower pace, big world to explore, unique classes...), but it would have to incorporate some modern design / ideas (i.e. dynamic world over quest hubs), modern graphics (could still be stylised), and there definitely needs to be a lot more to do at 'end-game' than raiding / dailies.
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    edited August 2015
    rodingo said:
    Since that is mainly a PVE thing, then no. I have always been a PVPer through and through in that game except when they put in arenas, which marked my signal to leave the game.
    ehrm.. vanilla/bc was probably the best time for PvP. even wrath was ok but after that it's been pretty garbage
    so why not? or does these time locked things only offer pve servers?

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    Yeah I would. So would most of my friends who quit because of the direction the game went in. The issue with time locked progression servers are, once it gets to the expansion people didn't like, then they will leave unless they open a new server with free transfers to it. 
  • guascoguasco Member UncommonPosts: 68
    I consider UI and graphic engine as "quality of life", so I voted yes, but with some improvements which would not affect gameplay.

Oh and don't put too much value in the results of such a poll here on these forums. 90% of those who voted 1 would quit after a short while, bored.
     =) 

• LorgarnLorgarn Member UncommonPosts: 417
    I definitely would play, and pay, for such a service. Preferably a TBC locked server if I had the option to only choose one.

I've been playing on a private Vanilla server the last few months; I've got a Rogue at 32, Paladin at 25, Priest at 24, Warrior at 19, Shaman at 15, Hunter at 14, Mage at 12, another Warrior at 9. Its been going pretty slow, since I only play together with my friend so we wait for eachother. However, I don't mind the slow pace because its so much fun and I'd rather take my time versus rushing it risking burning myself out.

No one is going to argue that WoW retail is MUCH better than classic/vanilla/tbc/etc. However, we all need to realize that sometimes tools and features of comfort, accessability, doesn't automatically make a game more fun. It definitely can, for very many it does, but it can also detract from the experience for many other. No one is going to argue that LFG-tool didn't make running dungeons better, it did and you would be naive thinking otherwise. Did it make them more fun? Perhaps, but not always and definitely not for everyone. I've already had many great experiences coming from traveling through dangerous lands getting to dungeons.

Sometimes the reward of completing something time-consuming and difficult can be so much worth the effort put into completing said task. Whether its completing a 15-part questline that takes you all across the continent, completing a difficult dungeon or just getting to a high-level. Just look at the recent influx and popularity of difficult and/or time-consuming games, Dark Souls, AVGN, Pillars of Eternity, just to mention a very few of them.

Convenient can be fun, difficult can be fun, time-consuming can be fun. Catch my drift yet? So stop arguing that retail WoW is better, that is besides the point.
  • KeenoKeeno Member UncommonPosts: 56
    hmmm....
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    MMOman101 said:
    I already played WOW when it was time locked and the game pushed me out during TBC.  I see no need to relive the past. Whats done is done. I have moved on and have no need to ever go back to it.  Why would I want to do the same thing I was doing a decade ago.  Seems silly to me. 

Yeah I dont get why people would want to go back and do the same old content again.....It was OK in its day but now no way.....I dont even play the free trial to 20.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078
    edited April 2016
    I would go only if they were pvp servers.  Loved the big battles @Tarren Mill, Southshore, X-roads.. ahh the fun times!
  • ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    edited April 2016
    It's over take your meds and move on....

• ShelassaShelassa MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 616
    Do not see the poll option actually fitting for me, something along the lines of returning briefly, but not for sticking around, so  short answer is "No".

Long answer: I might have gone to remember what it was like, do some class quests, run through the old Thousand Needles or sit around in tact Auberdine, but for me it is exactly nostalgic. And once it was satisfied (I'd give it a month), I'd return to "actual" content, comfortable to go without nostalgia for couple of years. 

Since there is no official vanilla servers, my rare flares of nostalgia are satisfied on youtube, screenshot folder or chat with old friends, starting with "Do you remember that time in Hillsbrad / Stranglethorne when ..."