Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Poll] Would you play Time Lock Progression WoW?

Comments

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,802
    Axehilt said:
    What about a poll that asks....What if Blizzard took WoW back to it's grass roots and truly modeled a future expansion after it's vanilla game?

Would you play that?

New content, new mechanics, updated engine. Retain some...not all QOL implementations....but otherwise, model it more closely to its original concept for a game.
    Why abandon so many improvements though? Those changes happened for clear reasons, and took the game to a better place more in line with Blizzard's vision for gaming as a company (games which aspire to the "simple yet deep" ideal, and which eliminate unnecessary bullshit.)
    A quality of life improvement does not automatically equate to a qality of game improvement. As far as I am concerned, one of the biggest failures that eveloved within WoW was it's conversion to a Lobby game. I recall everyone converging on The Scarlet Monestary and the 1st 2 there were to summon the rest. Someone actually HAD to go there 1st. Was it a pain in the arese? sure, but look what happened as a result. Was the addition of flight in WoW a QOL addition? Sure it was. Did it improve the quality of the game? Well, there is an argument over that one. But not everyone agrees.

Relying on players to find their own groups to conquer dungeons is all well and good when there is a healthy population ready to churn out those dungeons. So what happens when the population dwindles or as a majority has moved past that content? Who knows? I see both sides to the argument, but for me. There should have been some other solution besides truing the game into a lobby game where you can sit in your capital city and do nothing but queue up for speed dungeon runs from right after the tutorial all the way to cap.

It's convenient, but was the game made better? No. Not IMO
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,858
    No, I will not, but not because any of the options in the poll.  I don't mind, well maybe except for Garissons play WoW as it is today.

I don't get it why people revered that WoW of old.  I was since 1.11 or 1.12, and what I remember of those times were:

Cons
    - Constant crashes
    - Limited battlegrounds
    - 40 men raid that while fun, were a pain to make them
    - Long raid attunement process.
    - Dungeon system where players may come empty handed if didn't get loot
    - Only dedicated raid players were able to watch full story

Pros
    + World mobs were more challenging (no Heirlooms that make current content Face Roll)
    + World feels more alive due to combination of various factors (no flight, no lfg, dungeons not smooth or rewarding)
    + Class specific quest lines

Neutral (depends on person point of view)
    +/- Talent tree that while flexible, allowed players lazy to learn or research do builds utterly wrong and ineffective.
    +/- Dungeon quests required prior knowledge where to find them, and zone completion to get them.
    +/- So many moves you will never need that between them, and food/pots filled 4 bars of 12 slots.

I actually would prefer a BC one.  In WoTLK is where there started downhill.
    WoW was/is revered because it was an awesome experience at the time, and that is what everyone is still looking for again. You don't forget something like that, and even as I play newer games today I can reflect on things I'm playing now to it back then.  It layed a positive seed in the back of almost every mmorpg player imagination out there, and it is always waiting to grow. 
    Sure, it's a pipe dream to think if they started a vanilla wow server again it would be truly awesome, but the truth is it probably would fizzle fast just like every game does today. Perhaps it would be best just to let it go instead of destroying our dreams. :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,980
    Everquest 2 just released their time-locked servers. I was excited to re-visit the Isle of Refuge. However, after about 20 min, I couldn't get past the ancient graphics. It's just too dated for me.

WoW would do well with a classic server. Cartoony graphics really prolong the life of a game.
  • GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907
    fivoroth said:
    If you joined shortly before MOP, then you missed the golden age of WoW. Classic and TBC were pure awesomeness and wotlk was an amazing expansion until the very last patch. 
    Which is Exactly why I would jump at the chance to play "Classic" World of Warcraft.
  • AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    A quality of life improvement does not automatically equate to a qality of game improvement. As far as I am concerned, one of the biggest failures that eveloved within WoW was it's conversion to a Lobby game. I recall everyone converging on The Scarlet Monestary and the 1st 2 there were to summon the rest. Someone actually HAD to go there 1st. Was it a pain in the arese? sure, but look what happened as a result. Was the addition of flight in WoW a QOL addition? Sure it was. Did it improve the quality of the game? Well, there is an argument over that one. But not everyone agrees.

Relying on players to find their own groups to conquer dungeons is all well and good when there is a healthy population ready to churn out those dungeons. So what happens when the population dwindles or as a majority has moved past that content? Who knows? I see both sides to the argument, but for me. There should have been some other solution besides truing the game into a lobby game where you can sit in your capital city and do nothing but queue up for speed dungeon runs from right after the tutorial all the way to cap.

It's convenient, but was the game made better? No. Not IMO
    Well games are largely measured by the decisions they offer. Decisions are gameplay. Forcing players to travel by ground can offer interesting decisions, but usually just the first time since the decisions they offer are mostly about navigating the terrain and avoiding aggro and those decisions remain interesting only a short time before expiring.  Which is why most games nowadays use node-based fast travel (discover a node -> now you can fast-travel there.)

Traveling to dungeons has the same problem (maybe okay first time, repetitive after) compounded by players wanting to do group content (not waste time getting to group content.)

Good entertainment has always been "skip to the interesting bits."  When games make combat their most interesting system, it becomes quite logical and popular to skip to that portion of the game (bypassing the duller less-fleshed-out systems.)  That's not the only way a game can be made of course: a game could be made where travel itself was where all of the interesting decisions existed (like Puzzle Pirates, or racing games).  Such a game might be quite enjoyable (PP was,) though I think combat games are always a more popular pasttime than non-combat ones.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 848
    I'd have to go with a modified version but make it to where it doesn't take away the difficulty of the game. I'd want updated boss mechanics, most bosses and dungeons were just tank and spanks till patch 1.6. Add in the dungeon loot / stat changes they added in during WotLK. Make it to where all class specs are viable to raid / pvp with, I'd prefer the skills / abilities that all classes used were when 4.0 came in and added focus to hunters. The last thing I want but most people think is what ruined the game is the group finder, I really don't like spamming for dungeons with 100 other people and have to sit there and sift through them all for the one I want, and get told "sorry full".
  • SoraksisSoraksis Member UncommonPosts: 294
    I would only play if it was free.
  • StizzledStizzled Member RarePosts: 1,949
    I don't see the point. If someone wants to play WoW in any of it's previous incarnations they can do so, for free, right now. Maybe it's not official, but it's, for the most part, just as good.
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,675
    If it were free to play I would give it a go again. 
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 16,791
    I think the op summed it up best ..."a lobby game".
    However a couple things turned me off from day 1,the community seemed full of immature kids and when i finally hit a few really cool quests,they were bugged so i could not finish them.Eq2 a similar game sort of did the same thing,some needed mobs would be stuck under the ground,mobs aggro through walls both had similar problems.However Eq2 never at least imo turned into a lobby game but it did share one bad habit i did not like and that was constant chat spam WTS items that were not meant to be sold.

Both games played very similar but the difference was EQ2 was a more complete game with housing,nice housing items and imo the lighting and textures were a lot better.Point is that why turn Wow back to what i feel was it's worst state,if anything they have tried to up the graphics/textures a bit,i would try and push Wow forwards not backwards.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,126
    edited August 2015
    My answer is simply no. Not because I want WoW to die or because I "kicked the habit". I simply enjoy the game as it is. Remember what they say about the rosy remembrance of things past: The memories are often much, much better than the reality.  Think of it this way: The last time you looked at your high school yearbook probably made you cringe, though your memory of the photo is probably vastly more positive. :pleased: 

Count me as a resounding NO, though not for the stated reasons, therefore I did not vote.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

• GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907
    edited August 2015
    Stizzled said:
    I don't see the point. If someone wants to play WoW in any of it's previous incarnations they can do so, for free, right now. Maybe it's not official, but it's, for the most part, just as good.
    I for one will never play an unofficial "incarnation". I consider them on the illegal side of things even if technically not illegal.

Maybe these talented indy Devs that make these "incarnations" should be speaking with Blizzard and work with them to make an official vanilla server.
  • rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,869
    Since that is mainly a PVE thing, then no. I have always been a PVPer through and through in that game except when they put in arenas, which marked my signal to leave the game.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• isslingissling Member UncommonPosts: 162
    I have been screaming for this for months:) But I would like them to start with BC if possible but if not classic would be great. It is all the rage with EQ1,EQ2 and I can't think of the others lol getting old I am!(lineage) But anyways there is a huge market for this if only wow would do it. Unlike EQ and some of the other they would have to open ten classic servers unlike some of the other games that have one or two servers.
    SBFord said:
    My answer is simply no. Not because I want WoW to die or because I "kicked the habit". I simply enjoy the game as it is. Remember what they say about the rosy remembrance of things past: The memories are often much, much better than the reality.  Think of it this way: The last time you looked at your high school yearbook probably made you cringe, though your memory of the photo is probably vastly more positive. :pleased: 

Count me as a resounding NO, though not for the stated reasons, therefore I did not vote.
    I think your right and wrong, the response and feedback on these classis servers for other games have been huge:) Maybe the life span would not be as long on a classic server as when the game first came out, but I bet you they get their numbers back over ten million. I for one would resub in a heart beat!  
    Stizzled said:
    I for one will never play an unofficial "incarnation". I consider them on the illegal side of things even if technically not illegal.

Maybe these talented indy Devs that make these "incarnations" should be speaking with Blizzard and work with them to make an official vanilla server.
    Stizzled said:

Maybe the savy gamer would know what to do, but the average person that plays wow would never seek out a third party. A set of classic servers would do more for the game then the last three expansions imho. Maybe they would be the first company to fix where they went wrong (in my opinion) and take the time and work on a different direction and do something other then cata and the other expansions. What do they have to lose? They could run two makes of the game. Better then starting from scratch.
  • MrMelGibsonMrMelGibson Member EpicPosts: 3,022
    Any chance you could add an option  :" No, rather play current version "

I would choose that one  =)
    issling said:
    Stizzled said:

Maybe the savy gamer would know what to do, but the average person that plays wow would never seek out a third party. A set of classic servers would do more for the game then the last three expansions imho. Maybe they would be the first company to fix where they went wrong (in my opinion) and take the time and work on a different direction and do something other then cata and the other expansions. What do they have to lose? They could run two makes of the game. Better then starting from scratch.
    I don't consider myself to be that savvy and I didn't have any trouble finding exactly what I went looking for. I don't think you give the average person enough credit, if they know what their looking for then they'll find it.

Blizzard would maybe consider Vanilla servers, but I can guarantee that they wouldn't continue to develop them into something different. The amount of people who would play such servers wouldn't warrant a team big enough to create new content.
    edited August 2015
    [mod edit]
    Post edited by Amana on
  • Gabriel-KnightGabriel-Knight Member UncommonPosts: 89
    I played in a private server a couple of years ago, it was based in vanilla and 99% bug free - i think the only thing that was sorta broken was Warriors charging sometimes through the floor, but nothing else. Every single thing was working, up until Drums of War patch (AQ was still in development tho), and the staff didn't accepted donations in any form, not even to help the server. That means, no help for anyone except to solve tickets, and it was good.
    I had a lot of fun... for a while. Leveled two characters to 60, one of them a Paladin (yes, it was soulcrushing), completed the Charger quest, collected the dungeon set and upgraded a couple of parts. I didn't raided mostly because i lacked the time for it, but most of the population was in MC every week.
    These servers are awesome, but i guarantee that you get tired very fast. Not only because you're stuck in time and feels like groundhog day, but also because MMOs are all about progression, and if you know that there's a line that will stop you and never change, trust me - you're gonna get tired pretty fast. Specially if it's something that you have already done in the past.

I'm not even gonna mention how hard is to retake old habits like forming a group in chat, grinding like a bot for crappy resistance items, or corpse walking (a true nightmare). It's not until you have to suffer them again that you know how terrible those things were, and i wouldn't have them in my games again. Also mixing the mechanics of today with yesterday's is a recipe for terribleness - something that you can understand when you play the timeless dungeons in the special weekends, which are laughable compared to what they were in their first days.

Having said that, what i really would love is a server that starts from scratch and follows the progression of the game exactly as it happened - patches coming with the same changes and bugs in the same original intervals. THAT would be awesome, at least to me, because it will be almost the same experience, no weird stuff around with teleportation everywhere and Facebook games.
    I would pay double suscription just to play that. I'm not kidding.
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,030
    Stizzled said:
    Personally Vanilla WoW would not be a success if rereleased today. The problem with modern MMOs is that they take 5+ years to make, so the vision of the developers by the time it gets released! may be different from what the community wants.

to better understand this I will compare it to Nintendo and their management . Nintendo management is often critiqued for their lack of understanding of current market trends. They seem to either want to do things radically different, or simply late to the trend party of what consumers really want.

when they try to just be radically different, it generates hype short term, but consumers quickly fall off after the hype for the newness falls off (Nintendo Wii/ Action Combat MMOs, Non-Trinity MMOs, FFA MMOs)

then there are the other times when Nintendo management is just so far out of touch with what consumers want (FPS game market, HD graphics, Mature Rated games/ story focused MMO, grindy level based MMO, raid content that is so hard hat it excludes most people, non faction PvP)

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    Stizzled said:
    Personally Vanilla WoW would not be a success if rereleased today. The problem with modern MMOs is that they take 5+ years to make, so the vision of the developers by the time it gets released! may be different from what the community wants.

to better understand this I will compare it to Nintendo and their management . Nintendo management is often critiqued for their lack of understanding of current market trends. They seem to either want to do things radically different, or simply late to the trend party of what consumers really want.

when they try to just be radically different, it generates hype short term, but consumers quickly fall off after the hype for the newness falls off (Nintendo Wii/ Action Combat MMOs, Non-Trinity MMOs, FFA MMOs)

then there are the other times when Nintendo management is just so far out of touch with what consumers want (FPS game market, HD graphics, Mature Rated games/ story focused MMO, grindy level based MMO, raid content that is so hard hat it excludes most people, non faction PvP)
    To better understand this...you will introduce something that confuses it more...I get it...

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• acidbloodacidblood Member RarePosts: 867
    WoW was good for it's time, but as all the failed clones over the years have shown, it's time to move on, and most people have. That said I wouldn't mind a WoW 2 with a bent towards the classic style (slower pace, big world to explore, unique classes...), but it would have to incorporate some modern design / ideas (i.e. dynamic world over quest hubs), modern graphics (could still be stylised), and there definitely needs to be a lot more to do at 'end-game' than raiding / dailies.
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,003
    edited August 2015
    rodingo said:
    Since that is mainly a PVE thing, then no. I have always been a PVPer through and through in that game except when they put in arenas, which marked my signal to leave the game.
    ehrm.. vanilla/bc was probably the best time for PvP. even wrath was ok but after that it's been pretty garbage
    so why not? or does these time locked things only offer pve servers?

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,399
    Yeah I would. So would most of my friends who quit because of the direction the game went in. The issue with time locked progression servers are, once it gets to the expansion people didn't like, then they will leave unless they open a new server with free transfers to it.