Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LockSixTime - Keeping The Secret World

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited August 2015 in Videos Discussion

imageLockSixTime - Keeping The Secret World

Funcom is in some financial trouble, and Lock doesn

Read the full story here

Comments

• myxaplixmyxaplix Member UncommonPosts: 41
    Played it and move on but had an enjoyable time while I was there. I would be sad to see this game go away.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited August 2015

Well it sounds good on paper or when advertised but when i actually set foot in the game i was not impressed at all.I actually felt the urge to logout and only forced myself to play for a couple days.Not once did i ever have the urge to go back and try it again,it was imo that bad.

The idea,concept is really cool,enough that i had to try it out but imo Funcom just doesn't have the ability to make MMO's or good systems,they only do the basic stuff well.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    well i guess i figured it out having to put my own html code in to get a space but that is really lame,no wonder they got this server so cheap.I have never had to do this on any server not even 20 years ago,it is like we are thrown back in the stone age.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• unfilteredJWunfilteredJW Member RarePosts: 388
    Probably the best quest experience I've had the pleasure of experiencing.

Only reason I stopped playing was the slow downloader and it needing to be used every other day. Most likely a problem on my end but I could never get it fixed.

I'm a MUDder. I play MUDs.

Current: Dragonrealms

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Why maturity needs to be founded in profanity and sexuality drives me bonkers. There are other adult themes and drives that are not for children.
  • User836User836 Member UncommonPosts: 117
    edited August 2015
    Nanfoodle said:
    Why maturity needs to be founded in profanity and sexuality drives me bonkers. There are other adult themes and drives that are not for children.
    While those things are in the game I think it's very unfair to say that the maturity/appeal of the game is "founded" on them.
  • strangesidestrangeside Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Played this game in beta, and then at launch and I loved every minute of it. It has been a while since I've played but I definitely want to hop in whenever I since they went buy to own with the option to sub. It's sad to see such a good mmo in danger, but this happens all the time. The questing, the class customization are great! The lore and voice overs with the cinematic are TOP notch.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Wizardry said:
    well i guess i figured it out having to put my own html code in to get a space but that is really lame,no wonder they got this server so cheap.I have never had to do this on any server not even 20 years ago,it is like we are thrown back in the stone age.
    We're working with Vanilla to find out how to get comments on articles/videos to have the same editor as the forums proper. Bear with us! @mikeb

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• mysticmousemysticmouse Member UncommonPosts: 146
    Great Idea but poor implementation. It is worth playing at least short term for the quests and the atmosphere . Combat gets stale very quickly and the skill wheel system is just window dressing on a fat bloated hog
  • MitaraMitara Member UncommonPosts: 755
    Some really great ideas in the game, but the biggest problem is that it is NOT replayable. Once you have done the story one time, it is over. That is NOT the way you keep customers in an MMO and was very very shortsighted of Funcoms game designers.
  • hallucigenocidehallucigenocide Member RarePosts: 1,015
    probably has the best setting of any current MMO's out there. and it has Jeffrey Combs as a voice actor in it :D

I had fun once, it was terrible.

• shawnpatshawnpat Member UncommonPosts: 74
    guess you people aren't rdy for a game as complex as Secret World, the complaints I see above, I also see the same complaints about every other mmo out there now, some people might wanna stop playing mmo's completely
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    Got as far as the fourth zone. Couldn't hold my interest after that. Good game. Good quests. Poor combat. I still return from time to time, but never stay for long. I wish them well and wish them the best.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,679
    edited August 2015
    Been said before: TSW - the game that's liked by many but only played by a few. Re the video. It's ok making a passing comment about some core aspects being rough - but that surely misses the point of a Core Aspect. Get the core aspects right, then you can have a few rough edges. But, as this game's history has shown - leave the core aspects in a rough state (I'm talking about you combat animations/mechanics) - and no amount of uniqueness will compensate.
  • UlorikUlorik Member UncommonPosts: 179
    Quests, direction of cutscenes, voiceacting, etc, all are outstanding and unique in this age. This game is like a work of art and you don't go and burn the Mona Lisa or a Rembrandt painting just because the visitor numbers don't make profit. The Secret World needs to be preserved at all costs! If there is no buyer that is willing to preserve and further develop this game, at least let it continue on Maintenance level for those that are willing to finance maintenance through a subscription. I for certain would still like to do a few more replays through the whole storyline. a bit like someone who reads The Lord of the Rings every 2 years or so.
  • AlverantAlverant Member RarePosts: 1,320
    I got into playing it recently. I don't play as much as I'd like because life gets in the way and I haven't found a guild (or whatever they're called in this game) to help me out when I need it. What I don't understand are the people who say it's "generic". It's the only game I know about that takes place in modern times. It even has an internet browser so you can go to outside sites for mission clues! What other game does that? If you want a generic game, go play a fantasy MMORPG.
  • ZibooZiboo Member UncommonPosts: 158
    100% agree with the review. If you go research the questing info, it's all based on real fact. Best story, best NPCs, attention to detail, humor, original in so many ways. What most people complain about nothing different, yet something different is there and they can't/don't play. Definitely worth playing, although if you're a grind to endgame in a week type, you'll hate it.

Proud member of Hammerfist Clan Gaming Community.

Currently playing: RIFT, EQ2, WoW, LoTRO
    Retired: Warhammer, AoC, EQ
    Waiting: SWToR & GW2

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372
    Played AO for years.  AoC for about year and a half.  TSW off and on since release with far more off than on, but been somewhat active in it recently.  I want Funcom to survive despite their many and varied mistakes.  I think they have done more good than bad and quite honestly I look back at AO especially with rose tinted glasses of happiness.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    You know the old lady in the big house with the ghost and the mirror in the attic? Well I probably shouln't have been playing with the window open at 3 in the morning. It creeped the hell out of me. I was happy to die and respawn. I never went back. Great stuff.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    What needs to happen with TSW:

1)  Someone with financial capital and the desire to improve the experience needs to buy the game.

2)  The number 1 priority after acquiring the game is to fix combat.  MMORPG's are 99% combat, so if it sucks, then 99% of your game sucks.  

3)  Advertise the hell out of it with "All new combat system!" in big bold words.

My mind is blown that Funcom hasn't isolated this failure and resolved this issue already.  If they had anyone in their company researching their own forums and the web, then they'd see that the combat is literally the only thing the developer(s) should be working on until it doesn't suck.  If they can't unfuck the combat, then this game will die.
  • mmrvmmrv Member RarePosts: 305
    it is classic funcom game, great concepts some really great design totally fucked up and ruined by thier epic trash everything else. Game has the worst character and monster models, it has total garbage animation and effects, overlaid on another utterly worthless funcom ghetto engine. Tack on one or two really terrible design choices like in this case epically failed loot system and character growth. Just classic funcom torture and teasing of what could have been, started right with anarchy online which is still one of the most amazing and deep MMORPG's out there (what stupid company does not make a new improved anarchy online 2 when the original as bad as it was released manages to last 15 years?) age of conan out standing game fresh interesting marred by what i started with, and then secret world another utterly amazing title.....all shadows of what they should have been Really funcom was a dam hair away from making 3 of the greatest online games ever. instead it is going bankrupt sad really.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    edited August 2015
    h0urg1ass said:
    2)  The number 1 priority after acquiring the game is to fix combat.  MMORPG's are 99% combat, so if it sucks, then 99% of your game sucks.  

[...]  If they had anyone in their company researching their own forums and the web, then they'd see that the combat is literally the only thing the developer(s) should be working on until it doesn't suck.
    One of the things I like TSW for is that TSW is maybe the least combat-heavy game out there, definitely not 99% :wink: 

Own forums and the web, that's two different things... most folks in game have no issues with it, some even like it, and some say it's the weakest part but still ok. (There was an attempted trollbait thread not long ago on the forum, that ended with similar results :awesome: )

And on that basis the question shifts a lot... should we (as FC) spend tons of money and time and resources (since it's the core of the game) to change something which most of our customers like, or neutral with, just because peeps who are not playing complain on the web? Let's say we don't lose nobody during the process, and even double the playerbase... worths it, spending all those resources? Or it's safer to spend it on more content for a couple years, for our current players? :)

And in here I'd like to connect with the last question in the video: keep it secret :) if you remember I spoke against the b2p switch as well, for the same reasons... nothing's wrong with being a niche game with a small but loyal playerbase. Ok, not in the beancounters' books, sadly.
  • BigCaliGuruBigCaliGuru Member UncommonPosts: 103
    My experience with "The Secret World" was magical. The story telling and world captured my imagination the way "The Never Ending Story" did when I was a kid. In the beginning the world was spilling over with players. I would often stop in the middle of a quest to watch a group tackle a boss or just to admire the beauty in the world around me. Sometime around Egypt I started to feel burned out. Combine that with the difficulty I had with the mobs there (I think I may have entered Egypt to early), I just gave up. I recently started playing again. Still the same beautiful world but lacking in players. Many times I would run around solo in maps finding no help with bosses or questing.

• MitaraMitara Member UncommonPosts: 755
    Well the game cant be that good or players would be in there right now... just sayin'