Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Poll] Would you play Time Lock Progression WoW?

Comments

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    DMKano said:
    Kicked the habit in 2004, never went back (yes I only played vanilla)
    If you kicked the habit in 2004, you must have only played the game for a month or two after it launched then you quit?

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• muppetpilotmuppetpilot Member UncommonPosts: 171
    I would play on a BC, or perhaps a LK server, provided that they included a functioning LFG/LFD/LFR tool because to be honest, sitting in Orgrimmar spamming "lfg/lfm" was not exactly good times, lol.
    That being said, the PvP was orders of magnitude better back during BC, before they introduced all of that damned noob-tastic damage reduction and so forth.
    I have tried to play on a private BC server previously, but being a private server it of course included some of the inherent problems (buying gold, items, etc) that come with that experience.  Were Blizzard to fashion their own progression/time-lock server, I would sign up in a jiffy.....and this is coming from someone who has been un-subbed for over a year.

"Why would I want to loose a religion upon my people? Religions wreck from within - Empires and individuals alike! It's all the same." - God Emperor of Dune

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited August 2015
    Axehilt said:
    Terrible poll options. Early WOW was worse than current WOW, so my vote is no, but without the stupid negativity towards WOW. I fully plan on resubbing at some point (probably the next expansion>)

Ditto. In it's own way WoW was "worse" than it is now. What made it "better" imo was lots of people being "low level" - compared with today - and coming together. And a progression server won't recreate that. And, as Jean-Luc says, people who voted 1 who never experienced the "grind" (which wasn't the worst) would quickly leave. The complaints about not being able to able to fly would pale into insignificance. And forget about mounts as well. (Although warlocks got one at 20 via a quest chain).

So no. Early WoW is dead. And progression servers almost always destroy existing populations as well - and then die themselves. And Blizzard in their recent crop of interviews have acknowledged that there is a population issue. Can't see them wanting to make that worse.
  • Keldor837Keldor837 Member UncommonPosts: 263
    I would, but it would need to be with a change in the LFG tool. I believe it should only find you a group on your server....that's it! You should still have to get to the instance yourself, and use summoning stones/warlocks and such. Some of my fondest memories in this game was the constant element of PvP when clearing to or gathering for a raid/dungeon. I wish I still had video of my Enh shaman with right hand of ragnaros and full PvP gear windfury-wrecking people around the BRD and LBRS/UBRS entrances. Or something newer, the couple of dungeons in wotlk (forgot their names, they were filled with the bug monsters [SORRY!]). You'd drop down into a whole in the ground and there was one summoning stone with a couple different dungeons....and a mass graveyard of skeletons from killed players!

I also would like to have the updated class system with progression/skills. As the old one is far too archaic and was brutally punishing to some classes. Priest at all levels, shaman until late game, and warlocks/hunters with ammo/shards. Along with the current gear setup for stats.

But...and this is a selfish request. I'd like for enhancement shamans to viably use 2hers again. Current Enh shamans (last time I played a year ago) feel more like combat rogues in the sense that they are more sustain dps and not as good for PvP as their other specs. I miss the days of using a big slow 2her....auto-stormstrike-auto-shock. Get a windfury proc or two, and see those numbers and crits fly!!! Sure, it was more or less a one trick pony show. But surely Blizz could find a way of compromising that with current meta and splice it in for flavor to some degree. Make it so dual wielding does it's current thing with symbolically working with flame lash and flame shock for sustained (PvE) damage. And then have 2her ignore the internal cooldown within the Windfury proc, and add that fourth hit back in from the old days. Viola!

Oh, and never put in garrisons....even if the server eventually got to WoD....because NO!

If this all happened....or at least most of it. I'd pay for a one year sub, and even pay for all the planned expansions right then and there without a second thought.
  • LheiahLheiah Member UncommonPosts: 190
    I would play vanilla, played the crap out of BC and WotLK, after that it was down hill and don't care.
  • AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504
    gervaise1 said:

Ditto. In it's own way WoW was "worse" than it is now. What made it "better" imo was lots of people being "low level" - compared with today - and coming together. And a progression server won't recreate that. And, as Jean-Luc says, people who voted 1 who never experienced the "grind" (which wasn't the worst) would quickly leave. The complaints about not being able to able to fly would pale into insignificance. And forget about mounts as well. (Although warlocks got one at 20 via a quest chain).

So no. Early WoW is dead. And progression servers almost always destroy existing populations as well - and then die themselves. And Blizzard in their recent crop of interviews have acknowledged that there is a population issue. Can't see them wanting to make that worse.
    Right, and a progression server also wouldn't recreate that "first time feel". That seems to be what most players think they want when they create threads like these, and I imagine the progression servers that do exist see rapid player loss as veterans go back to try their favorite game only to realize it doesn't give them the old feeling they thought it would. A nugget of the most hardcore no doubt stick around, but they're a tiny fraction of the players who try it.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    edited August 2015
    Why not leave the biased crap out of the poll and make it yes or no?
    Horusra said:
    Why not leave the biased crap out of the poll and make it yes or no?
    But that would make the poll more credible....how else would you create some drama and generate tons of posts.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• VestigeGamerVestigeGamer Member UncommonPosts: 518
    Phry said:
    Not enough options in the poll, i will play WoW again, but, time locked servers, not so much, i am not even all that interested in vanilla WoW either.
    The time locked progression thing had me hesitate, too.  I think I played vanilla WoW very shortly and came in again with The Burning Crusade.

Would the "progression" stop?  If so, at which expansion?  Or would they just continue on and on until the server caught up to the most recent game?

I did vote "Yes", though.  Depending on the community, I may even stay subbed for over 2 years, NOT getting "bored", Jean-Luc.

VG

• PepeqPepeq Member UncommonPosts: 1,977
    The problem with this thread is that redoing content that you have already done is rather pointless.  Part of the fun was in learning the content in the first place.  If you actually raided in vanilla, you've done these dungeons and raids a thousand times over.  You're not going to spend nearly as much time doing them again as you did the first time around.

To be quite honest... the time of progression servers is when the content is NEW, not when it's OLD.  Granted anyone doing the old world content today having never played classic is in for a rude awakening the first time they step into the instance, but enough of the fight remained intact for them to know exactly what is going to happen before it happens.

It's like taking a test in which the answers are already filled in for you... you know, like LFR.  People would bore of it in less time than it takes to do the instance.
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    I can't say I would. As cool as the idea sounds on paper, I'm not one to believe in "turning back the clock" on games. The fun was there, it passed, and now I'd rather focus on the future of WoW and other games.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    I would play any 1.x - 2.x versions of WoW
    edited August 2015
    What about a poll that asks....What if Blizzard took WoW back to it's grass roots and truly modeled a future expansion after it's vanilla game?

Would you play that?

New content, new mechanics, updated engine. Retain some...not all QOL implementations....but otherwise, model it more closely to its original concept for a game.
    What about a poll that asks....What if Blizzard took WoW back to it's grass roots and truly modeled a future expansion after it's vanilla game?

Would you play that?

New content, new mechanics, updated engine. Retain some...not all QOL implementations....but otherwise, model it more closely to its original concept for a game.
    Why abandon so many improvements though? Those changes happened for clear reasons, and took the game to a better place more in line with Blizzard's vision for gaming as a company (games which aspire to the "simple yet deep" ideal, and which eliminate unnecessary bullshit.)

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    edited August 2015
    no mount until 40 ......and then farm gold for hours until being able to buy a 60% mount :pleased:

no LFD , arrows , and mats to rez , Rogue vanish / poison materials ..... wow has changed a lot
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    I would to a point. I hate what they have done to the classes trying to make each spec easier to play by making some spells for set specks. So when that gets added I am done. Knowing the direction this game will take, as much as I voted yes I am not sure I would want to play this server type because in the end I would just hate my Paladin all over again. 

Blizzard used to have such an awesome game. Like I have always said... Only Blizzard can kill WoW.
  • GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907
    edited August 2015
    I never played WoW until I first did a free trial back before Panda expac. I saw in WoW a MMO I would have/should have tried back in vanilla days but I was busy with other MMOs and had the opinion then that WoW was the monstrosity from tartarus in MMO gaming.

I then tried WoW last year and even subbed to it for a couple of months, but let the sub go because in it's current state of expansions I have no desire to play WoW. Too many of the features and content has been changed since a few years ago and even though I found some of it fun, I miss the challenge that was present years ago that is now history. WoW is too easy now, at least for me at lower levels. I want a challenge from day one to endgame, not a flash in the pan leveling experience.

Looking back I would love to play Vanilla Wow. I want to know what I missed... because so many have said they loved it, that it was good, better than now, I dare not disregard all I have heard of the beginnings. I want to see what I missed. I would pay to play what I missed.

Yes, vanilla World of Warcraft.
    Skuall said:
    no mount until 40 ......and then farm gold for hours until being able to buy a 60% mount :pleased:

no LFD , arrows , and mats to rez , Rogue vanish / poison materials ..... wow has changed a lot
    I thought only Druids required mats to res. I still remember the rage when someone would forget their regents and then the raid wiped cause half of the Druids couldn't res haha.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    I would pay $4.99 a month for a true Blizzard style release. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

If you joined shortly before MOP, then you missed the golden age of WoW. Classic and TBC were pure awesomeness and wotlk was an amazing expansion until the very last patch. 

Axehilt said:

Would you play that?

Why abandon so many improvements though? Those changes happened for clear reasons, and took the game to a better place more in line with Blizzard's vision for gaming as a company (games which aspire to the "simple yet deep" ideal, and which eliminate unnecessary bullshit.)
    A quality of life improvement does not automatically equate to a qality of game improvement. As far as I am concerned, one of the biggest failures that eveloved within WoW was it's conversion to a Lobby game. I recall everyone converging on The Scarlet Monestary and the 1st 2 there were to summon the rest. Someone actually HAD to go there 1st. Was it a pain in the arese? sure, but look what happened as a result. Was the addition of flight in WoW a QOL addition? Sure it was. Did it improve the quality of the game? Well, there is an argument over that one. But not everyone agrees.

Relying on players to find their own groups to conquer dungeons is all well and good when there is a healthy population ready to churn out those dungeons. So what happens when the population dwindles or as a majority has moved past that content? Who knows? I see both sides to the argument, but for me. There should have been some other solution besides truing the game into a lobby game where you can sit in your capital city and do nothing but queue up for speed dungeon runs from right after the tutorial all the way to cap.

It's convenient, but was the game made better? No. Not IMO
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    No, I will not, but not because any of the options in the poll.  I don't mind, well maybe except for Garissons play WoW as it is today.

I don't get it why people revered that WoW of old.  I was since 1.11 or 1.12, and what I remember of those times were:

Cons
    - Constant crashes
    - Limited battlegrounds
    - 40 men raid that while fun, were a pain to make them
    - Long raid attunement process.
    - Dungeon system where players may come empty handed if didn't get loot
    - Only dedicated raid players were able to watch full story

Pros
    + World mobs were more challenging (no Heirlooms that make current content Face Roll)
    + World feels more alive due to combination of various factors (no flight, no lfg, dungeons not smooth or rewarding)
    + Class specific quest lines

Neutral (depends on person point of view)
    +/- Talent tree that while flexible, allowed players lazy to learn or research do builds utterly wrong and ineffective.
    +/- Dungeon quests required prior knowledge where to find them, and zone completion to get them.
    +/- So many moves you will never need that between them, and food/pots filled 4 bars of 12 slots.

I actually would prefer a BC one.  In WoTLK is where there started downhill.
    WoW was/is revered because it was an awesome experience at the time, and that is what everyone is still looking for again. You don't forget something like that, and even as I play newer games today I can reflect on things I'm playing now to it back then.  It layed a positive seed in the back of almost every mmorpg player imagination out there, and it is always waiting to grow. 
    Sure, it's a pipe dream to think if they started a vanilla wow server again it would be truly awesome, but the truth is it probably would fizzle fast just like every game does today. Perhaps it would be best just to let it go instead of destroying our dreams. :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982
    Everquest 2 just released their time-locked servers. I was excited to re-visit the Isle of Refuge. However, after about 20 min, I couldn't get past the ancient graphics. It's just too dated for me.

WoW would do well with a classic server. Cartoony graphics really prolong the life of a game.
  • GardavsshadeGardavsshade Member UncommonPosts: 907
    fivoroth said:
    If you joined shortly before MOP, then you missed the golden age of WoW. Classic and TBC were pure awesomeness and wotlk was an amazing expansion until the very last patch. 
    Which is Exactly why I would jump at the chance to play "Classic" World of Warcraft.
    A quality of life improvement does not automatically equate to a qality of game improvement. As far as I am concerned, one of the biggest failures that eveloved within WoW was it's conversion to a Lobby game. I recall everyone converging on The Scarlet Monestary and the 1st 2 there were to summon the rest. Someone actually HAD to go there 1st. Was it a pain in the arese? sure, but look what happened as a result. Was the addition of flight in WoW a QOL addition? Sure it was. Did it improve the quality of the game? Well, there is an argument over that one. But not everyone agrees.

Relying on players to find their own groups to conquer dungeons is all well and good when there is a healthy population ready to churn out those dungeons. So what happens when the population dwindles or as a majority has moved past that content? Who knows? I see both sides to the argument, but for me. There should have been some other solution besides truing the game into a lobby game where you can sit in your capital city and do nothing but queue up for speed dungeon runs from right after the tutorial all the way to cap.

It's convenient, but was the game made better? No. Not IMO
    Well games are largely measured by the decisions they offer. Decisions are gameplay. Forcing players to travel by ground can offer interesting decisions, but usually just the first time since the decisions they offer are mostly about navigating the terrain and avoiding aggro and those decisions remain interesting only a short time before expiring.  Which is why most games nowadays use node-based fast travel (discover a node -> now you can fast-travel there.)

Traveling to dungeons has the same problem (maybe okay first time, repetitive after) compounded by players wanting to do group content (not waste time getting to group content.)

Good entertainment has always been "skip to the interesting bits."  When games make combat their most interesting system, it becomes quite logical and popular to skip to that portion of the game (bypassing the duller less-fleshed-out systems.)  That's not the only way a game can be made of course: a game could be made where travel itself was where all of the interesting decisions existed (like Puzzle Pirates, or racing games).  Such a game might be quite enjoyable (PP was,) though I think combat games are always a more popular pasttime than non-combat ones.