Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Interesting thread and poll about SotA card combat system

Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686

https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/lets-settle-this-once-and-for-all-card-combat-good-or-bad.24390/page-30

A clear majority of still remaining players (me and many old UO PvP players have already left the game) over at SotA forums have again informed developers how much there card combat sucks and for many is a game breaker.

Developers have earlier informed us the buyers of the game that if the card combat isn't appreciated by their community they would go for a more standard combat system. It is today clearly not appreciated but there are no response at all from developers that they will stay true to their claim of changing it back to a system their community could accept.

This is to me very strange since developers have many, many times claimed they are listening to their community.

So far it seems to me they are mainly listening to a certain crowd of their community that have invested loads of money into this game and many of them are in favor of keeping this card combat system. It feels like a game for the elite and the elite in this case is the ones that can afford and have invested a lot of money into the game, some have invested thousands of dollars.

How can developers stick to a hated combat system that might bring this game down and why are there no info on changing the card combat system into a more standard combat system as they claimed they would if community disliked today one?

Developers have from the beginning claimed that community feedback and getting involved in the development of the game is one major backbone to this kickstarter funded game and that we as community should know that developers are listening.

Seems to me that was just empty words.

Edit: Interesting to see how unimportant developers see PvP in this game. Some days ago PvP became just a sub forum under skills and combat, it is not even worthy of having it's own forum anymore. It's like the removed it under the carpet so no one with ease would find it. 

Comments

• lobotarulobotaru Member UncommonPosts: 165
    "Changing it back" to what, exactly? As far as I know it is the only combat system the game has ever had. They wouldn't be "changing it back" to anything, but instead building a whole new combat system from the ground up. That is a lot of work. 
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    lobotaru said:
    "Changing it back" to what, exactly? As far as I know it is the only combat system the game has ever had. They wouldn't be "changing it back" to anything, but instead building a whole new combat system from the ground up. That is a lot of work. 

In the original demo videos, it was more hack n slash, which is what I wish it would have stayed. I love a lot about Shroud, but the combat is not part of that.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited August 2015
    Devs might listen does not mean they will adhere to what they are listening to.It is just a simple easy marketing tool to say "we are listening".

This is actually a very large topic because it goes in all sorts of directions however....
    To start,i do NOT like crowd funding and this whole process proves  why.Your dev has this game idea,everyone says great lets build it,here is our money.What happens next?Personally i want people to be quiet after that intitial decision,let the dev build that game you all had envisioned.

Now back to the large scope of this topic.The game from day 1 SHOULD be fully idealized,the entire concept and design should already be well thought out BEFORE starting.Then if ideas are not quite right you tweak them to everyone's satisfacxtion,none the less you will NEVER meet everyone's satisfaction.

That is why i rather a developer design that game,build it then after it is done let people decide on some tweaks but the dev still needs to be the main voice NOT this left wing majority or the right wing majority because everyone feels they are the majority and voice of reason for all.

Pointing to the card idea,if this was never an idea then why put it in game?I still digress WHY would you want ANYTHING to bring back UO,if you want UO ,go play UO.I applaud a developer who is willing to do things a little different,we do NEED some CHOICE in our rpg's far too many linear questing clones all with the same combat makes for one real bad,stale market.

I will bring up one idea just to prove how bad creativity is in our rpg's.Name ONE game that utilizes the MMO aspect of player to player combos?99% are solo oriented combos.Then think about how many of these games are out there....thousands.NOBODY is being creative or even remotely stepping outside the box and it is sad.

I say let these devs be creative,let them do their thing,if you don't like it ,so be it,at least we might have some CHOICE in our games.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141

The game is coming around, though the player zones are still teenie weenie, not sure why, guess the devs haven't figured out how to make the Unity engine render big open worlds without it running like poo poo.  The Gloria Vicits guys are pulling it off but they are the only ones I've seen so far do it in an MMO.

But the combat woah, I'm not sure how to describe it, its like watching to 96 year olds having a pillow fight or like two really polite people fighting, okay you hit me first, Ill stand here, no no, you go first I insist! and I wont move much so its easy to hit me.   Its slow, its boring, the feedback is horrid, the cooldowns on abilities are too long which is most  of the problem.   The whole combat system is like an after thought.  Heres to them kicking it to the curb and starting over.
  • HawkinsHawkins Member UncommonPosts: 121
    I think that the idea is not bad but it's not that correctly implemented. In a solo fight every one wants a clean hack'n slash. However in a party fight things may be slowed down for tactics and player skills to be introduced.
  • TheGr33nMachineTheGr33nMachine Member UncommonPosts: 7
    They are making changes to it now. It will pretty much be rolled back to standard MMO hot bar combat unless you want to be a spellcaster where the card combat is required for extra juice.

• PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    Can someone explain to me the difference between the two?  I tried looking up videos on it and it looks like traditional hotbar combat to me.
  • TheGr33nMachineTheGr33nMachine Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Can someone explain to me the difference between the two?  I tried looking up videos on it and it looks like traditional hotbar combat to me.

Previously you had to make a "virtual deck" - think Magic the Gathering. You created a deck from skills you've trained from a skills trainer. You drop those skills into the deck and apply it to your character.

When in combat, the cards would randomly appear on your hotbar... So, you spent your time in combat looking for shit. You were able to fix your skills statically on your hotbar like a traditional mmo hotbar however it would have cost you an unreasonable amount of mana/magic/whatever, any game calls it, to do so thus forcing you into the random mode.

There is now a half breed system in place of both. Nothing these guys do is easy to explain to beginners, which makes it doublly hard to sell the game to even your own friends. Go to youtube. Search for MadHermitGaming, watch his videos on things.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    So your complaint is that they do not listen to you but someone else...? And where is a problem with that?

They can't cater to everyone.

Even if I go with the meaningless poll results, it is 2:3 which ain't all that bad and actually far from "hated by community". There is apparently quite a number of people who like the system, even within insignificant, non-representative sample such as forum boards posters..