Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG.com : General : MMOFTW - The End or a New Beginning for Funcom?

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited August 2015 in Videos Discussion

imageMMORPG.com : General : MMOFTW - The End or a New Beginning for Funcom?

Free MMORPG List and MMO Games at MMORPG.com

Read the full story here

Comments

• Nemesis7884Nemesis7884 Member UncommonPosts: 1,023
    people always complain that there are no innovators in the mmo space, but then, all the innovators are not succesfull....shame
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Lets hope a decent company purchase Funcom, but something tells me that if they get purchased it would be by either PWE or Nexon. Probably PWE. /sigh As for Neverwinter, still waiting for a PS4 release.

• ThebeastttThebeasttt Member RarePosts: 1,130
    people always complain that there are no innovators in the mmo space, but then, all the innovators are not succesfull....shame
    We want quality innovation not random garbage passed off as innovation. As a side note, you know the genre is getting desperate when Pirate 101 pvp is news.
  • Keldor837Keldor837 Member UncommonPosts: 263
    edited August 2015
    I honestly don't see Funcom being saved. None of their games have had a good track record. That's not to say they're "bad" or didn't make a profit at one point or another. But each one that was considered successful at launch, fizzled out quickly (AoC and Defiance). Anarchy Online is a long-running sci-fi MMO. But when it launched it was profitable, but not widely successful. After like, six years or so. They finally finished a tiny pass-over on the graphics to update the game....it's still archaic looking. Huge waste of time and resources there, and the failed investments with Age of Conan. As someone who does small investments....I would never risk my money on saving Funcom. Unless I was doing a buyout, stripping their workforce, and taking their IP's and either re-launching them after a rework (like FFXIV) or creating sequels within those IP's. In either case, I'd be using new programmers and management. I just don't think any of their IP's are worth all the time and investment.
    Post edited by Keldor837 on
  • ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156
    Keldor837 said:
    I honestly don't see Funcom being saved. None of their games have had a good track record. That's not to say they're "bad" or didn't make a profit at one point or another. But each one that was considered successful at launch, fizzled out quickly (AoC and Defiance). Anarchy Online is a long-running sci-fi MMO. But when it launched it was profitable, but not widely successful. After like, six years or so. They finally finished a tiny pass-over on the graphics to update the game....it's still archaic looking. Huge waste of time and resources there, and the failed investments with Defiance as well and more drastically, Age of Conan. As someone who does small investments....I would never risk my money on saving Funcom. Unless I was doing a buyout, stripping their workforce, and taking their IP's and either re-launching them after a rework (like FFXIV) or creating sequels within those IP's. In either case, I'd be using new programmers and management. I just don't think any of their IP's are worth all the time and investment.
    Defiance is not Funcom what are you talking about.

REALITY CHECK

• MitaraMitara Member UncommonPosts: 755
    Funcom has everything it takes to make a succesful game, except for good Game Designers...
  • ShainnaShainna Member UncommonPosts: 58
    It's a pity seeing Funcom in this dire situation, the invations they added in their games were mostly fun but i'll admit other things usually didn't work that well. I do hope they keep afloat. Really love The Secret World and still have fond memories of Anarchy Online. To this day noone has been able to make a class that i love as much as the Bureaucrat in Anarchy Online, and the quests in The secret World are the best i've ever seen. If they could just mix the best in their former games (and don't mess anything else) they might actually have a big comercial sucess, wich is what they always failed at.
    We want quality innovation not random garbage passed off as innovation. As a side note, you know the genre is getting desperate when Pirate 101 pvp is news.
    i dont feel that comment is justified tbh
    people loved aoc and only complained about not enough content....and tsw is one of the highest rated mmos here by the community...
  • RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157
    edited August 2015
    I agree Fun Com in my opinion playing most of their games has been a failure, Blood Line champions, has lack of content / development, toxicity / trolls, and TSW just feels too generic, Cash Shop Items which isn't even sorted out properly, and over-all needs better game designers who actually know what they are doing, even paying a subscription benefit for TSW in my opinion is not worthit to me..... You honestly know what would make profit, is a game like Mass Effect, The Longest Journey, or TSW in a simliar MMO theme, but one that has a optional mothly subscription, a way to unlock content in game without a grind, and freedom to customize without spending more and more money in the game.... I played TSW and quit very fast because of these reasons felt generic to me nothing exciting and lets not forget guns that seem to have unlimited ammo. ------->Over-All it just feels as if the game could be designed better, and perhaps if someone can get the Intellectual property at a bargain, or someone who is rich and doesn't care about wasting money to keep the games afloat and make them better would be great, although if not perhaps the best way to go is design of a new game from scratch.
  • ComanComan Member UncommonPosts: 2,178
    Mitara said:
    Funcom has everything it takes to make a succesful game, except for good Game Designers...
    I think it are really the suits pushing the game designers. The problem is not that there games are crap, there games are crap at launch. They usually manage to fix it in the long run.  
  • TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435
    The sad thing is I like AOC and TSW they are solid concepts, they are concepts that should be popular, but the whole thing has been so poorly implemented and mis-managed that they have all suffered. I would love for Sony to snap them up and make these titles available on PS4 but it'll never happen.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    TOTALLY forgot to edit that part at 5 minutes out guys. Don't judge too harsh. :)

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Tsumoro said:
    The sad thing is I like AOC and TSW they are solid concepts, they are concepts that should be popular, but the whole thing has been so poorly implemented and mis-managed that they have all suffered. I would love for Sony to snap them up and make these titles available on PS4 but it'll never happen.

Sony -who
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Scorchien said:
    Tsumoro said:

Sony -who
    He means SCEA, not SOE (DBG).

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• zaberfangxzaberfangx Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    TSW very unique, if funcom can't be saved TSW should be saved as noting like that game out there.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Funcom was not a good innovator. They had creative vision, but absolutely no way to manage it properly.
  • MsGamerladyMsGamerlady Member UncommonPosts: 192
    Hope things go well. I've always loved visiting and playing TSW and AOC.

• GrintchGrintch Member UncommonPosts: 132
    Bummer, I was wishing for AO2.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    edited August 2015
  • mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    They have some iconic games Anarchy, Conan, TSW.   A shame really.  I enjoyed Conan for a bit.  I think if they had it within their grasp to have a hit, and they missed.  TSW is a great game IMO, just never took off... didn't have that 'IT' factor.  Anarchy was a very good game, just aged.  They seem to have to ideas, just not the people who can execute them very well.

I self identify as a monkey.

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,263

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Funcom was not a good innovator. They had creative vision, but absolutely no way to manage it properly.
    I would say that Funcom was a good innovater and then I would agree that they mismanaged all of their titles.  There's simply no other games on the market like TSW and AoC... or AO for that matter, but damn that game needs a facelift.

My hope is that a company with a lot of capital picks up TSW and AoC such as Daybreak Games.

But here's the problem with picking AoC up... the license for Conan runs out in 2018.  Will the new investor want to pick up the game and then be faced with extending the license?  Maybe, but it's just another negative factor for buying the game.  A smart investor would buy AoC now, work on fixing the game and maybe start another expansion and then invest heavily in advertising right around the release of the new Arnold Conan movie.
  • VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872
    Can't wait to see this company lead by liars and scammers going down.