Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I need some diagnosis help

2»

Comments

• booniedog96booniedog96 Member UncommonPosts: 289
    Try this to completely clear out your BIOS, or change out the CMOS battery as it may have gone bad.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    What are your BIOS options for telling the MB which video card to use? It should have an automatic setting and a couple more options to give priority to either the CPU graphics or the discreet card. Have a look and let us know what it's set to and what the other settings are.

And like I already said above, a Windows restart doesn't do the same thing as a shutdown / turn on. The BIOS Power On Self Test (aka. POST) is skipped for one thing and even ram may not be cleared. There's some hibernate-like process used to speed up the restart - I assume, due to the fact that Windows start-up has been knocked for slow start-up for so many years.

It's really a tricky problem you have because there are just so many things that could cause that problem. If you could modify what Windows does during a restart and force it to go through a cold boot, that would at least get you to the point where you could upgrade to Win10 and maybe get rid of the problem with the OS update. But I assume that would involve some registry editing of parameters I know nothing about myself.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    @booniedog96 ; thanks Ill get a new battery and try that.

@IseIin ; the bios setting I found saying display were-

*Init Display First- auto, pci, peg, igfx  mine is set to auto

Internal graphics- auto, enable, disable mine set to auto

were thos the ones you asked of?
    Yeah those are the settings.

Let's try two things to see if either solves the problem by bypassing the auto settings:

1. Using your ATI card connector set Init Display First to PEG and set Internal Graphics to disable - see if that fixes it
    2. If that doesn't work use the motherboard video connector, set Init Display First to igfx and Internal Graphics to enable.

Let us know how you make out.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:

Let's try two things to see if either solves the problem by bypassing the auto settings:

1. Using your ATI card connector set Init Display First to PEG and set Internal Graphics to disable - see if that fixes it
    2. If that doesn't work use the motherboard video connector, set Init Display First to igfx and Internal Graphics to enable.

ok - I replaced the battery.
    the first option peg/disabled - same issues as before
    the second option  igfx/enabled through mobo video connector and it works! sort of. coming up from shutdown or restart I get a signal (and I tried it several times) however (thought id fixed this) but the pc comes up and down, up and down, and then up again (and then works. Here is the truly weird part. It now does this up and down thing from a full shutdown and not from a restart. I am totally baffled lol
    edited August 2015
    Iselin said:

ok - I replaced the battery.
    the first option peg/disabled - same issues as before
    the second option  igfx/enabled through mobo video connector and it works! sort of. coming up from shutdown or restart I get a signal (and I tried it several times) however (thought id fixed this) but the pc comes up and down, up and down, and then up again (and then works. Here is the truly weird part. It now does this up and down thing from a full shutdown and not from a restart. I am totally baffled lol
    Ok. Keep it on option 2 and see if you can successfully upgrade to WIN10 now that you have viable restarts sort off lol. I still think the main problem is something wonky with your OS and hopefully the upgrade will fix it.

If you manage to do the Win 10 update, you should then head over to the Gigabyte page for your MB and install the new WIn10 drivers from there. After you've done that, then set it back to auto/auto like it was before and hook the monitor back up to the ATI card... and keep your fingers crossed. :)

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

edited August 2015
    Ill try the win 10 upgrade next

I just tried something could this be an issue? I turned on boot log using msconfig and this is listed in the log several times -

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\dxgkrnl.sys

thanks a lot IseIen!
    Ill try the win 10 upgrade next

I just tried something could this be an issue? I turned on boot log using msconfig and this is listed in the log several times -

BOOTLOG_NOT_LOADED \SystemRoot\System32\drivers\dxgkrnl.sys

thanks a lot IseIen!
    Yeah that's a DirectX system file. Borked registry? Faulty DirectX install from some game? Hard to know exactly why it isn't loading.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• booniedog96booniedog96 Member UncommonPosts: 289
  • AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Using Win7 Event Viewer may give you some more insight into the problem. When all else fails I like to look at the "Windows Logs-System". http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/226084-event-viewer-open-use-windows-7-a.html

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

well I got windows 10 installed but unfortunately it didn't  fix the problem.  I'm at a loss and contemplating just buying another pc if its being such a hassle now chances are its only going to get worse. :(
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Do the diagnostics properly instead of trying out random stuff:

1) Disassemble your computer completely.
    2) Take just your motherboard, CPU, 1 memory module, PSU and place all components on clean desk. Clean them from dust.
    3) Assemble components carefully.
    4) Use jumper to rest your BIOS.
    5) Turn on computer using screwdriver to connect power-on pins on the MB, restart it using same method.

Does it still keep shutting down? Replace all spare components you have - CPU, MB, memory module, PSU.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    waynejr2 said:
    I have seen incompatible memory cause this problem.
    Really? Well, I can't say I understand why it would. I have seen they bluescreen people, refusing to boot at all and performing badly...

I guess you learn something new every day. :)

Anyways, memtester should discover any memory issues. At least it have always worked for me. Another thing to try out is to take out 2 of the memory sticks and run it with just 2 and then put them back and try with the 2 others unless OP only have 2 (then one at a time). That might not work 100% of the time if it is compability and all memory ships are the same but it is also worth trying at least.
  • Stuka1000Stuka1000 Member UncommonPosts: 955
    This could be something extremely simple to fix or something extremely expensive.  If your mobo does not have any indicators like a built in post reader then I would invest in one.  This is a board that commonly plugs into a PCI slot and that gives a visual readout of the POST codes.  If the PC hangs the code that is showing is where the BIOS hung and you instantly know where the problem is.

I have had two PC's that had similar symptoms.  One of them had a faulty DIMM while the other didn't like starting up with a particular external HDD plugged into a USB slot.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    First of all do you have BIOS or UEFI? In either case you should go into it and reset it to factory settings.

After that, try to run a memory diagnostic program (I have linked to a free one earlier in the thread, microsoft have their own on their homepage as well).

If that doesn't work, I fear you need to do what Gdenami suggests but don't take off the CPU and cooler unless you have cooling paste at home.
    well I got windows 10 installed but unfortunately it didn't  fix the problem.  I'm at a loss and contemplating just buying another pc if its being such a hassle now chances are its only going to get worse. :(
    Well that sucks.

Same exact problem? From a cold boot everything works fine? You can play demanding video games indefinitely with no problems at all? But a restart makes it go through 2 or 3 restarts in a row and ends in no signal to monitor?

What happens now in Windows 10 if you remove your graphics card and plug in your monitor to the MB?

And if I was going to do something drastic, I'd do a software drastic thing not a HW one first.

Now that you have successfully installed Windows 10 and activated it, you can do the one thing which is almost 100% guaranteed to fix your problem: A clean install of windows 10. And it's drastic only because you'll have to reinstall everything - games etc. And you'll have to back-up anything you want to keep from the OS drive since you want to reformat that drive as part of the clean install.

If you want to try the clean install follow this guide using the "remove files and clean the drive" option: http://www.cnet.com/how-to/clean-install-windows-10/ Do this using the MB video and the same BIOS settings that allowed you to upgrade to Win10.

After the clean install you'll still want to install your MB drivers from Gigabyte and the graphics driver from AMD. In the unlikely event that the problem persists after that I would still do one more thing before starting to troubleshoot HW by removing and re-attaching it and that would be to flash to the latest BIOS for your MB.

It's not always the case, but in my experience software problems cause these types of weird issues most of the time and HW problems tend to cause more catastrophic problems. Your ability to cold boot and use the PC perfectly after that (minus restart) has had me leaning toward a software problem from the start and I'm still leaning that way.

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED