Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The vacuum at the end of ESO

ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
I hate theme parks, and yet I started playing ESO a couple months back and I feel like this game has the best approach to a park that I have seen in a long time. 

-The action combat is both fun and deep. You have to mimic tempo without having to be a high reflex meth head. You are rewarded for footwork, blocking, and smart use of pools.

-The characters can be built how you like, but they retain an identity. You can really adapt the character to different combat approaches, and the game will let you make bad combos (you aren't forced into the one true class that is numerically the best solution).

-The small interface is bolstered by a high level of interactivity with the world. I feel like the game allows me to interact directly with mundane objects, so I don't mind the small toolbar. The UI is minimal and dynamic. 

-The quests are a good blend of voice over and skippable text. They are the usual x of y and fedex for the most part, but they do have some dynamic outcomes at times. I think the combat system and interactive world help take normal questing and give it a little extra something. It may be just that I haven't played a quest based game in so long that I can stand it again. 

-oddities that are part of the ES setting like Vampire/Werewolf, NPC guilds, and mundus stone buffs are great things to have in an MMORPG.

But

I know my fun in the game must come to an end once I reach the highest level land and cross the finish line of the final quest. 
I play alts, so I will get some extra time as my collection of characters creep toward the last quest, but it will come. I will realize that my highest level guy is stuck either in the dungeons I have done dozens of times each, the high level PvE land, or in Cyrodiil. That will mean that that character is effectively dead. 

They will release new quests via DLC, and if I buy those I can play the new quests, but the character really only has value while questing or doing dungeons. The character I have played is basically kind of retired once the content is done, because the abilities of the character only exist as a potential to use against content. Once I hit the highest veteran level my character will be stuck in the high level area with no ability to affect or be affected by a game world. 

I wish they would make a new land or series of lands that were more able to sustain the life of elder characters. The number of dungeons in the game is pretty small, and given that they are not overly big or grandiose, I'm not sure why there is such a small number of them. 

Another thing that I don't like in ESO are the piranha barriers and the invisible walls. There is a lot of good area that gets blocked because of the way the maps are made. Imagine what ships could be like in this beautiful game. 

I know it's not going to happen, but what different content would you ask for if you knew they would make it and put it in ESO?
MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures

Comments

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    To make this an Elder Scrolls mmo I would play for the pve, they would need to add in Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild.  I know they plan to eventually so when they do I will reinstall then to see if it compares to the three previous ES games.  My pvp fix is already handled by another game and so I don't see ZOS being able to add or change anything that will make me want to play ESOs pvp.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Archlyte said:

But

I know my fun in the game must come to an end once I reach the highest level land and cross the finish line of the final quest. 
    I play alts, so I will get some extra time as my collection of characters creep toward the last quest, but it will come. I will realize that my highest level guy is stuck either in the dungeons I have done dozens of times each, the high level PvE land, or in Cyrodiil. That will mean that that character is effectively dead. 

That's essentially how I feel and have felt about all the MMOs I have ever played and ESO is no different in that respect.

They all get revitalized to some extent with expansions, or in the case of ESO, DLC, but I get most of my PVE fun when I'm leveling a character, especially in the lower levels when the development is more tangible. I can keep that up for a while with alts which is something I also have done habitually through my MMO playing life but I have never been a fan of "end game."

End game forces a change in perspective and play style that no matter how good it is, it's still different from the early leveling experience. If there is an MMO that keeps that feeling of progression indefinitely and doesn't just replace it with grindy small improvements, I don't know of it.

I agree with Rodingo too in that both The Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild are conspicuously absent and those are parts of any ES game that I consider essential - at least we now have a semi-firm date for them which is February 2016. But the one other feature I've been looking forward to and was also missing from Skyrim is Spellcrafting. I know they're working on it but there is still no time line on that one.

Having said that, ESO has held my interest much longer than any other MMO I've played since LOTRO. I even got a second account when GMG had that crazy sale a few weeks back ($12) mostly for 8 more alt slots :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• iDigDinosiDigDinos Member UncommonPosts: 34
    I think those invisible walls and wonky map are like that due to the fact that it's on console as well.

It's a pretty fun and interesting game.. and I'm with you on for me, I basically just quest through the areas and "elder game" isn't much of an expansion for me.. I don't raid, high end pvp, or whatever else. I'm not sure what my guild does because I haven't seen green text in ages. I'm not sure what else they could implement aside from "dailies" but.. those tend to get monotonous really fast. 

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311
    rodingo said:
    To make this an Elder Scrolls mmo I would play for the pve, they would need to add in Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild.  I know they plan to eventually so when they do I will reinstall then to see if it compares to the three previous ES games.  My pvp fix is already handled by another game and so I don't see ZOS being able to add or change anything that will make me want to play ESOs pvp.
    it will never compare to those single player games. personally, i don't compare mmorpg's to single player games, its like comparing apples to oranges.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Archlyte said:

I know it's not going to happen, but what different content would you ask for if you knew they would make it and put it in ESO?
    I would want ZoS to remove the pseudo tab targeting from the combat. To me, that beats any new content they make. It drives me crazy when my attacks either dont hit the enemy i want to hit or i cant even attack at all because my target is not highlighted. Such a great action combat completely ruined by a poor tab target hidden behind a reticle.

At least they are not the only ones who screwed action combat. Skyforge somehow managed to make it worse where you cant even do basic attacks without targeting someone.

I seriously hope this is not the new trend, fake action combat in mmos.

• d_20d_20 Member RarePosts: 1,878
    The "end game" for me would basically be pvp in Cyro with my guild. But there are faction balance and other issues that I'm tired of dealing with after a freaking year of almost nothing done for Cyro since dynamic lighting. Woop. However, there are supposed to be some changes to Cyro with the Imp City update. Is that still the case? Can anyone on the PTS confirm?

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870
    baphamet said:
    rodingo said:
    it will never compare to those single player games.
    Sad but true.

As far as not comparing singleplayer games to MMOs,..*makes mental note that Baphamet doesn't do that*

Sure comparing mechanics between singleplayer and MMOs is apples and oranges, however comparing content and lore that is known and spread amongst several games belonging to one IP isn't. 

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    rodingo said:
    baphamet said:
    rodingo said:
    it will never compare to those single player games.
    Sad but true.

As far as not comparing singleplayer games to MMOs,..*makes mental note that Baphamet doesn't do that*

Sure comparing mechanics between singleplayer and MMOs is apples and oranges, however comparing content and lore that is known and spread amongst several games belonging to one IP isn't. 

I think ESO is better than Skyrim and Oblivion by far. If it wasnt for nostalgia I would say it comes close to Morrowind.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited August 2015
    SlyLoK said:

I think ESO is better than Skyrim and Oblivion by far. If it wasnt for nostalgia I would say it comes close to Morrowind.
    saying is better means nothing if you dont reinforce that comment with proof. Of course there isnt since its just your opinion. To me personally, Skyrim (i havent played Oblivion enough to say) has a lot more replayability and memorable moments and characters than ESO.

But we are all sharing opinions. One mans trash i another mans treasure, and vice versa.

• DelCabonDelCabon Member UncommonPosts: 258
    I essentially agree with the OP. I have played 4 alts so far through to VR1 and "retired" each just after the Coldharbor and Main Story lines. I have 2 more class sets I want to try out and then I will see if Cyrodil or the new DLC offers me enough content that suits my type of play.

I haven't played any PVP in ESO so far and not since GW2 a year ago. I finally joined a guild that seems to be enjoying PVP and is willing to help, but I am not sure its for me.

The Imperial City looks interesting so Ill try that but so far my expectations are low.

If I had my way I would love to see entire new PVE zones, perhaps a new race, new skills etc. Certainly those would keep me subbing into the foreseeable future, but that's all a long way off.

More than likely, given the current stagnation of casual MMO's (IMO), I am due to take a year off and check back later. There are quite a few great RPG's out that will fill my gaming needs for now.

Del Cabon
    A US Army ('Just Cause') Vet and MMORPG Native formerly of Trinsic, Norath and Dereth. Currently playing LOTRO. 

• ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    I feel like the main game mechanic and engine are worthy enough that I would patronize any game they put out with the same system. I just wish they had something else to transition to at max level besides what is offered. I wish there was a way to keep the whole world relevant and maybe allow a role for elder characters in those maps.
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    SlyLoK said:

saying is better means nothing if you dont reinforce that comment with proof. Of course there isnt since its just your opinion. To me personally, Skyrim (i havent played Oblivion enough to say) has a lot more replayability and memorable moments and characters than ESO.

But we are all sharing opinions. One mans trash i another mans treasure, and vice versa.
    Content , Crafting , Larger World , More Variety , Better Animations , Better AI , More Character Builds , Much better ' Boss ' fights , More Gear Styles ..etc. I can keep going. Skyrim is as streamlined as it gets and I wouldnt even classify it as an RPG anymore. The only thing the single player games have going for them are mods and that is only if you play on PC.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Archlyte said:

I would want ZoS to remove the pseudo tab targeting from the combat. To me, that beats any new content they make. It drives me crazy when my attacks either dont hit the enemy i want to hit or i cant even attack at all because my target is not highlighted. Such a great action combat completely ruined by a poor tab target hidden behind a reticle.

At least they are not the only ones who screwed action combat. Skyforge somehow managed to make it worse where you cant even do basic attacks without targeting someone.

I seriously hope this is not the new trend, fake action combat in mmos.
    You do understand that the tab really doesn't have much to do with hitting your target. It only highlights.  It doesn't make you shot hit it. If someone steps in front. You hit the guy who steps in front. You don't need to highlight in order to attack either.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"