Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO+ - Helping Players Find the Perfect MMO -

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129
edited August 2015 in News & Features Discussion

imageMMO+ - Helping Players Find the Perfect MMO -

A new project has crossed our desk that will be of keen interest to our readers and to those still searching for the right MMO experience. The site is called MMO+ and it is a database of MMOs with filters applied that help players specify precisely what parameters they wish to find in any given MMO.

Read the full story here

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    I just tried the site and searched with criteria, it seems there is no game that matches my criteria :D.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited August 2015
    No point having "Alpha" and "Develpment", "Alpha" category is redundant.
    "Cancelled" -> Closed

Genre:
    Eh, you are now listing online and offline games on the site so unless you are intending to stop doing that, there should be made a filter for online and offline games.

Add MOBA?

Settings:
    "Medfan" -> Histo/Fan

• meonthissitemeonthissite Member UncommonPosts: 917
    Used the site put in the criteria for ESO nothing came up. Guess their database isn't complete.
  • kemono55kemono55 Member UncommonPosts: 124
    I notice Archage is filed under sandbox.

I'm sure most people regard it as sandpark, it is certainly closer to themepark than sandbox.
    Thought I'd mention that.
  • BalthamosATBalthamosAT Member CommonPosts: 7
    Developer here, thanks for the thread!

I finished the project this week, and the database doesn't have a lot of games. Please  consider helping adding/correcting the game you are currently playing.

Gdemami said:
    No point having "Alpha" and "Develpment", "Alpha" category is redundant.
    "Cancelled" -> Closed

Genre:
    Eh, you are now listing online and offline games on the site so unless you are intending to stop doing that, there should be made a filter for online and offline games.

Add MOBA?

Settings:
    "Medfan" -> Histo/Fan
    • Development would be a pre-alpha estate, where there is development but no way to have player testing.
    • I'll add the Closed status with the next update, as well as one for games with servers being emulated (SWGEmu, Darkfall...)
    • It's not for offline games, just online. I lost the MMO before each genre because it didn't look good.
    Thanks for the suggestions!

Used the site put in the criteria for ESO nothing came up. Guess their database isn't complete.
    It is there but it could have erroneous data. Let me know if there is something wrong.

kemono55 said:

I'm sure most people regard it as sandpark, it is certainly closer to themepark than sandbox.
    I'll change it right away, thanks!
    kemono55 said:

No it is not themepark, it has themepark feature that sucks ballz and it puts out more sandbox esque feature with every patch.

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

edited August 2015
    Developer here, thanks for the thread!

I finished the project this week, and the database doesn't have a lot of games. Please  consider helping adding/correcting the game you are currently playing.

kemono55 said:

I'll change it right away, thanks!
    No, don't change archeage from sandbox to themepark. it is not themepark game, if you suggest it as themepark you will just piss off players who will use your site and look for free2play themepark game.

No, don't change archeage from sandbox to themepark. it is not themepark game, if you suggest it as themepark you will just piss off players who will use your site and look for free2play themepark game.
    I changed it to mixed. I've played it and, at least when leveling, you go on rails.
    I changed it to mixed. I've played it and, at least when leveling, you go on rails.
    That's a wise choice since the developer and publisher both advertise it as Sandpark.

DMKano said:

Then how did I level all my characters via crafting? ? My last 2 characters are maxed without completing a single quest.

Playing ArcheAge "on rails" is the worst option, there are other more effective ways of leveling that don't involve any quests period.

So - just because  *you chose* questing it is not the only option, certainly not the best option.

ArcheAge gives you lots of choices.
    No point explaining that here again man, nobody cares beyond their misguided vendetta against trion.

edited August 2015
    • Development would be a pre-alpha estate, where there is development but no way to have player testing.
    • I'll add the Closed status with the next update, as well as one for games with servers being emulated (SWGEmu, Darkfall...)
    • It's not for offline games, just online. I lost the MMO before each genre because it didn't look good.
    Thanks for the suggestions!

"Alpha" does not imply player testing. The problem is, those designations have only 1 definition - a stage in development cycle.

It can mean just anything depending on how studio decides to plan their development.

If you wanted a filter related to player access, it could be something like this:

Internal testing
    Closed public testing
    Open public testing

On the other hand, people could just get used to your own designation for Alpha="pre-beta" public test :)

So what will happen with offline games that are listed on this site?
    ie: http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/gameId/1309/Victor-Vran.html
    DMKano said:

Then how did I level all my characters via crafting? ? My last 2 characters are maxed without completing a single quest.

Playing ArcheAge "on rails" is the worst option, there are other more effective ways of leveling that don't involve any quests period.

So - just because  *you chose* questing it is not the only option, certainly not the best option.

Does not matter whether you level via crafting, quests or grinding, the linear, themepark determining part is the leveling. The game is designed so that player reach max level, get top gear, etc - all linear.

Archeage is themepark ground to bottom.
  • manowar88manowar88 Member UncommonPosts: 85
    edited August 2015
    no Age of conan  and No darkfall 2 No Anarcy online. the list isent complete

x1muft.png

edited August 2015
    Gdemami said:
    "Alpha" does not imply player testing. The problem is, those designations have only 1 definition - a stage in development cycle.
    The tags have small descriptions. This one in particular says Alpha testing. That's what I meant.
    DMKano said:

I didn't mention questing at all. 
    manowar88 said:
    no Age of conan  and No darkfall 2 No Anarcy online. the list isent complete
    I haven't played AoC since the first month, and none of the others. I'm asking the community to help adding them, I just built the application.

Thanks!
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited August 2015

It is there but it could have erroneous data. Let me know if there is something wrong.

1. It's missing information that there are also PS4 and XBox 1 versions available.
    2. ESO has optional subcription: https://account.elderscrollsonline.com/store/product/eso_plus

I think also the endgame information is a bit missing, but I haven't played after their veteran rank revamp so I'd better not try to correct it.

------------------------

Do you also accept corrections to other games through this forum (or some other forum), I tried to send you a couple of Wizard 101 corrections through the form on your website but I find it's hard to use since the text field  for explaining is so small and I'm supposed to send them one thing at a time using your website.

Wizard 101:
    1. The game is RPG, not a TBS. It's a role-playing game with turn based combat, but it's not a turn-based strategy game any more than WoW isn't a RTS game. In Wizard 101 you control only one character, there's no army to build/city to upkeep/any other strategy game elements.

2. I think it's wrong to call Wizard 101 F2P when the game gives free players only access to first city + first adventure area. At around level 5 you'll be faced with an announcement that you can't enter next zone unless your purchase it using crowns (their cash shop currency), or purchase membership. There's no way to proceed past this point without paying real money.

The F2P area is a trial, it should not be tagged as F2P game.

Some more info about their payment system: https://www.wizard101.com/game/area-pricing

3. The cash shop should be tagged as P2W. It sells things like equipment with stats, stat boosts, and henchmen to help with harder battles. They even advertise on their own introduction website things like:
      "Elixirs: Do you need some extra health or mana for a tough dungeon?..."
      "Henchmen: Some bosses or dungeons are too difficult to conquer solo, and if your Wizard friends aren't online but you're trying to progress - hiring a Henchman can be your answer..."

Quoted parts are taken from: https://www.wizard101.com/game/crownshop

4. The game is themepark, it should not be tagged as mixed. There are optional parts of the game like arena, raising pet, crafting and building a house that you can choose either to do or not to do, but the core game is PvE quest running where you're forced to do quests in certain order.

Wizard 101 often does not let you access to next done before you've done main storyline quests for the previous zone. It should not get a mixed -tagged just because there are optional side activities.

5. Rigid classes would describe Wizard 101 better than switchable classes. The game allows you to learn spells from other schools to customize your class, but there are also a lot of spell that you can't learn unless you've picked a certain class at the start of the game. You can customize but you can't ever switch your class unless you want to create a new character.

6. Progression should not be tagged as skill -based. The spells in wizard 101 don't have levels and you don't get better at them through using them. You get better through acquiring exp and new levels or through acquiring new equipment, mainly though gaining levels.

PS. How about creating some kind of discussion for profile edits somewhere? I think it would be a lot better to discuss about them publicly, than your system of allowing people to suggest changes + asking them to post a source for all changes. It's very hard to find you a good source for info like class development of Wizard 101. It would be much easier if other people were able to see my arguments and attack them if they disagree.

----------------------------------

ArcheAge's playstyle is best described as Mixed, but it leans so much towards sanbox play that you could also tag it both as Mixed and as Sanbox.

---------------------------------

EDIT: Looks like you switched the TBS -tag to TB. The new turn based -tag fits Wizard 101 very well, as the battles are turn based. 

The tags have small descriptions. This one in particular says Alpha testing. That's what I meant.
    I am not following you. What is the point of having "Development"(pre-alpha) and "Alpha" tags then? "Alpha" does not imply any particular state of the game - what one studio plan as alpha, the other plans as beta and vice versa.

I understand that it gives some sense how far the development is, but all in all it is fairly meaningless and redundant, imo. Wouldn't it be better for users to categorize development cycle depending on it affects the player rather than developer?

Gdemami said:
    I am not following you. What is the point of having "Development"(pre-alpha) and "Alpha" tags then? "Alpha" does not imply any particular state of the game - what one studio plan as alpha, the other plans as beta and vice versa.

I understand that it gives some sense how far the development is, but all in all it is fairly meaningless and redundant, imo. Wouldn't it be better for users to categorize development cycle depending on it affects the player rather than developer?

You are right. I'll change it to player testing and no testing. Thanks!

Vrika said:

Do you also accept corrections to other games through this forum (or some other forum), I tried to send you a couple of Wizard 101 corrections through the form on your website but I find it's hard to use since the text field  for explaining is so small and I'm supposed to send them one thing at a time using your website.

You can contact me at [email protected]

I'll add a endgame progress by level for Wizard101 and I'll set up some kind of forum or create a subreddit for suggestions.

Thank you very much for your time, I appreciate it.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011
    I just tried the site and searched with criteria, it seems there is no game that matches my criteria :D.
    Same here. Or maybe I did it wrong?
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    The problem with this site or any other similar to it is that players can't agree on what constitutes certain criteria. One mans sandbox is another mans sandpark is another mans themepark.
    Alders said:
    The problem with this site or any other similar to it is that players can't agree on what constitutes certain criteria. One mans sandbox is another mans sandpark is another mans themepark.
    Yes, I know there are a lot of subjective filters, but I think they are needed. Specially the sandbox one.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011
    Alders said:
    True though you have to start somewhere. While people can argue what a Sandbox is all day long there are enough differences that it could lead a person to at least consider something or immediately steer them away from something.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    Sovrath said:
    Alders said:
    True though you have to start somewhere. While people can argue what a Sandbox is all day long there are enough differences that it could lead a person to at least consider something or immediately steer them away from something.

There's no way to avoid it. Either the description is so long that it's impractical for searching, or it's so vague that it won't give enough information. I see a website like this as a good starting point for searching - you can search 100 games quickly and once you've found a promising game you can look for more information elsewere.

@BalthamosAT Have you considered adding links to MMORPG.com reviews, or some other reviews, to the game's descriptions? 

@BalthamosAT Have you considered adding links to MMORPG.com reviews, or some other reviews, to the game's descriptions? 
    Yes, I have several features I want to implement:
    • Updates/expansions/dlcs section, so you know that WoW came out in 2004, but there's a new expansion on the way
    • Review links
    • "like" feature to get suggestions based on what other users with the same taste like and play
    I'm kind of busy with my work right now, so I expect this to be finished in a month or so.
    Gdemami said:
    DMKano said:

Does not matter whether you level via crafting, quests or grinding, the linear, themepark determining part is the leveling. The game is designed so that player reach max level, get top gear, etc - all linear.

Archeage is themepark ground to bottom.
    Have you actually seen anyone with the "Top gear" in AA? What is even "top gear" in AA? And what is actually linear in AA unless you follow the hand holding marker XLGames put in the game for themepark players? You know some people say ignorance is a bliss but it is not, ignorance is just ignorant.