Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Disappointed that the Vendetta Online forum went bye-bye

PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
edited August 2015 in Vendetta Online
Perhaps the sub-forum wasn't active enough?

There's a lot happening in this community, especially behind the scenes.  I used to appreciate that mmorpg.com had a dedicated space for discussing this game.  Initially I thought that the subforum wasn't showing due to inactivity, but yesterday I realized that it had disappeared altogether, threads merging into "Other Games".

At the same time, you are drawing attention to a game (Vanguard) under the same segment of the alphabet that has already closed down, preferentially giving it a dedicated discussion space.

Why??

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

Post edited by MikeB on

Comments

• sunandshadowsunandshadow Member RarePosts: 1,985
    I'm also quite confused where the game development subforums have gone - I was hoping they'd be easier for people to find after the forum change-over. T_T  Or at leas a statement that game development topics now belong in the Pub would be nice.
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Bill did say when the new forums came they were going to eliminate many of the less active ones in order to better streamline things.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    edited August 2015
    Kyleran said:
    Bill did say when the new forums came they were going to eliminate many of the less active ones in order to better streamline things.
    That I understand, however it seems like a mistake to favor a game that has been indefinitely shuttered over a decade+ old MMORPG poised to release for the iPhone and Steam in the next six months.

I'm assuming they did a little more research than pure post volume...

It chafes me because this game was the reason I joined mmorpg.com over a decade ago; I've been a player ever since, and am currently hard at work on another new project for the game.

Before you ask 'does anyone still play it'? I guarantee it outranks others on the 'front page' of the alphabetized game list in terms of player volume.  It also features a "universal" server design where everyone interacts in the same virtual space.  Someone other than myself will be asking 'why isn't this game on here'? before the year is out in all likelihood.

It's either a mistake or unintentional slap on the face.  "Hidoi" as they would say in Japan.
    Post edited by Phaserlight on

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    edited August 2015
    We maintained forums that were considered remotely active and classic game forums.  We will be adding and removing forums over time as well.
    In the meantime, tag posts with the game title so that they can be found via search and such. I added the tag "vendetta-online" to your OP.
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    MikeB said:
    We maintained forums that were considered remotely active and classic game forums.  We will be adding and removing forums over time as well.
    Well... that makes sense.  Look, it probably seems like I'm being hypercritical, and that isn't my intention.  It's just that... the timing is somewhat hilarious.

I don't expect everyone to follow this game as closely as I do, and I understand what things look like on the outside.

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    I kind of miss some of the less active forums as well.

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    MikeB said:
    In the meantime, tag posts with the game title so that they can be found via search and such. I added the tag "vendetta-online" to your OP.
    Now that's just ridiculous.  Unless you create a very, very prominent way to push people to search by tags, no one will ever think that if only they search for tags, they can find information that they don't expect to exist on this site.

Removing the less active forums is like Microsoft removing the start button from Windows because people didn't use it that often.  You don't need it very often, but when you need it, you need it and don't want to spend the next hour trying to figure out if Windows 8 has the same functionality buried somewhere that you can't find.
    Quizzical said:
    MikeB said:
    Now that's just ridiculous.  Unless you create a very, very prominent way to push people to search by tags, no one will ever think that if only they search for tags, they can find information that they don't expect to exist on this site.

Removing the less active forums is like Microsoft removing the start button from Windows because people didn't use it that often.  You don't need it very often, but when you need it, you need it and don't want to spend the next hour trying to figure out if Windows 8 has the same functionality buried somewhere that you can't find.
    You can search by tags through the forum search functionality.

95% of the forums removed had like 0 activity in six months. Most weren't "less active" they were dead. Also, these removals were a necessity as our new forum software is not capable of scaling to the amount of forums we had, which is why we made the decision to cut a bunch of forums to begin with.
  • KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    I'm also quite confused where the game development subforums have gone - I was hoping they'd be easier for people to find after the forum change-over. T_T  Or at leas a statement that game development topics now belong in the Pub would be nice.
    God, I hope the Game Development subforums have gone away.  Add it to the Misc forums if it can't be considered a sub forum on its own.  I saw mention of an archive?  Whats the URL?

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• dupablada201dupablada201 Member CommonPosts: 3
    Yeah. Those new forum is not enjoyable by me sadly
    MikeB said:
    Quizzical said:
    MikeB said:

95% of the forums removed had like 0 activity in six months. Most weren't "less active" they were dead. Also, these removals were a necessity as our new forum software is not capable of scaling to the amount of forums we had, which is why we made the decision to cut a bunch of forums to begin with.
    On a less active forum, you can readily find and reply to threads from days or weeks ago.  Interaction was slower than in the pub, but it worked.  How do you feel about people constantly bumping weeks or months-old threads in The Pub because they want to add something on a lesser played game?  If that's what you want, then a given game with a recently closed forum might only see that happen once or twice a month.  But multiply that by hundreds of games and such thread bumping could account for a substantial fraction of threads in The Pub.

If you can't have hundreds of forums for separate games, how about at least one forum for the lightly played games where it is explicitly acceptable to bump months old threads for slow-moving conversations?  If you have to tag a bunch of old threads and dump them into a single forum, fine.  But what you've done is just shy of a ban on discussing less popular games.

The problem with searching by tags is that it flatly doesn't work.  You might well find a handful of threads related to a particular game.  But searching will not find most of the threads that you're looking for.  Try it for yourself with a few games you're familiar with and see if the familiar threads pop up.  They won't.  You've deleted something on the basis that there is an alternative that basically no one knows about and doesn't even work anyway.

And then there's the issue that it seems pretty random which games got their own forums saved.  Games with hundreds of threads, some of them recent, were deleted.  Yet dead forums like these got spared:

http://forums.mmorpg.com/categories/minecraft
    http://forums.mmorpg.com/categories/dota-2
    http://forums.mmorpg.com/categories/overwatch
    http://forums.mmorpg.com/categories/bloodborne
    edited August 2015
    This site used to be a good source of information on less popular games.  Not anymore, it seems.

Let's take one of my favorites as an example:  Uncharted Waters Online.  There used to be a ton of information in the forum on that game, so that someone who wanted to know about it could learn quite a lot.  Not anymore.  Now there are still some old press releases, a handful of screenshots, and that's about it.

From this site today, you'd have a hard time telling the difference between UWO and Pirates of the Burning Sea, a game with which it has little in common beyond some superficial things like sailing around on ships.  You'd certainly never guess that UWO is closer to EVE than it is to PotBS.

If you think the search tool is a viable alternative, then try it.  No really.  Stop reading this post and try it.  Try to find information on games whose forum you deleted.  There's not much left to find.  There used to be a lot for some games.
    Konfess said:
    God, I hope the Game Development subforums have gone away.  Add it to the Misc forums if it can't be considered a sub forum on its own.  I saw mention of an archive?  Whats the URL?
    Err, did you mean have or haven't? :sweat: 
    I want to help design and develop a PvE-focused, solo-friendly, sandpark MMO which combines crafting, monster hunting, and story.  So PM me if you are starting one.
  • RidelynnRidelynn Member EpicPosts: 7,383
    MikeB said:
    I may be niave and a total ignoramous when it comes to social media - but where't the button to tag a post? Is it like a hash tag in twitter and it automagically does it for me?

And how do we know what tag to use for what game? I would have thought "Vendetta Online", not hypenated... or VO since that's how it's sometimes called... i don't know. So know when I go to tag my post, or search for tags, it's a mess.

I can understand the technical limitation being an issue, but ... the alternative isn't spelled out very well just yet.
  • ToodlesToodles Member UncommonPosts: 121
    Sigh - Just when I started lurking this site again after leaving it because of the slutty game ads they insisted on sponsoring, they go and try to make this move to 'social gaming networking' crap. And in doing so implement it horrible. 

Typical.
  • MeddleMeddle Administrator UncommonPosts: 758
    We are working on a way to better expose the discussions tagged with games that do not have their own categories.  We'll get this worked out for you guys soon!

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

• IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751
    Honestly, if it weren't for @Phaserlight I would never have known or TRIED this game (especially on the iPad).  I think this is a very slippery trend with @MikeB @Meddle .  They pick NON-MMO's forums to save.  Nevermind the useful information.

The more I hear about this upgrade the more I don't understand why the hell it's happening.  I'd rather have information and access than the ability to pat myself on the back over some stupid forum badge.

And it's stupid @MikeB that you have to SEARCH for game forums.  I USED to be able to scan lists of games alphabetically... or sort them by popularity, or find their forums whether they were F2P... and now... they don't even get forums.  But heaven forbid DOTA keeps it's forum!  Them fanboi's would be in an uproar.

This upgrade is really a sad downgrade.
    Ridelynn said:
    MikeB said:
    I may be niave and a total ignoramous when it comes to social media - but where't the button to tag a post? Is it like a hash tag in twitter and it automagically does it for me?

And how do we know what tag to use for what game? I would have thought "Vendetta Online", not hypenated... or VO since that's how it's sometimes called... i don't know. So know when I go to tag my post, or search for tags, it's a mess.

I can understand the technical limitation being an issue, but ... the alternative isn't spelled out very well just yet.
    Just type the name of the game in the tags section and it should auto-fill for you. If a tag for a specific game is missing, we can set it up for you (I'm going to create a thread for requesting tags). If you're just searching for posts on a specific game, all you need to do is just search as normal and type the name of the game in.

Quizzical said:
    MikeB said:
    Quizzical said:
    MikeB said:

On a less active forum, you can readily find and reply to threads from days or weeks ago.  Interaction was slower than in the pub, but it worked.  How do you feel about people constantly bumping weeks or months-old threads in The Pub because they want to add something on a lesser played game?  If that's what you want, then a given game with a recently closed forum might only see that happen once or twice a month.  But multiply that by hundreds of games and such thread bumping could account for a substantial fraction of threads in The Pub.

If you can't have hundreds of forums for separate games, how about at least one forum for the lightly played games where it is explicitly acceptable to bump months old threads for slow-moving conversations?  If you have to tag a bunch of old threads and dump them into a single forum, fine.  But what you've done is just shy of a ban on discussing less popular games.

The problem with searching by tags is that it flatly doesn't work.  You might well find a handful of threads related to a particular game.  But searching will not find most of the threads that you're looking for.  Try it for yourself with a few games you're familiar with and see if the familiar threads pop up.  They won't.  You've deleted something on the basis that there is an alternative that basically no one knows about and doesn't even work anyway.
    Searching by tags for games that no longer have forums doesn't work because the posts no longer exist and the new forums are, well, new. So, in order for tags to work, users need to create threads for these games and tag them appropriately. I imagine this is something most community members don't even realize is possible right now, which is a problem I'm looking to sort out in the short term. :)

As for having a separate forum for less frequently discussed games, I think I have an idea that could work pretty well.
  • GolbezTheLionGolbezTheLion Member UncommonPosts: 347
    MikeB said:
    Just type the name of the game in the tags section and it should auto-fill for you. If a tag for a specific game is missing, we can set it up for you (I'm going to create a thread for requesting tags). If you're just searching for posts on a specific game, all you need to do is just search as normal and type the name of the game in.

Doesn't that seem extremely convoluted to you? I really am having a hard time grasping the fact that you seem to think this is a better method than what was previously available.

Did you try actually using the search like Quiz suggested? Check that out and then get back to us.
  • MeddleMeddle Administrator UncommonPosts: 758
    MikeB said:

Doesn't that seem extremely convoluted to you? I really am having a hard time grasping the fact that you seem to think this is a better method than what was previously available.

Did you try actually using the search like Quiz suggested? Check that out and then get back to us.
    It's not a better solution but right now Vanilla has a maximum number of categories that we can utilize.  They are working on this but in the meantime we're going to work on making it as simple as possible to work with the tagging.  Things I'm working on now:
    • Adding a drop down of all games that will either 1) lead to the category if the game has one or 2) lead to the tagged list of discussions for the games that do not have a category
    • On the tagged games discussion list pages having the new discussion button auto-tag new discussions with the game tag name

- MMORPG.COM Staff -

Hell, @MikeB said he tagged this right?  Because I can't find this particular thread using the search function.
    edited August 2015
    Ahhhh.... because the search function in the tabs isn't the search function under the specific pub section.. which isn't marked.. it's just a square... and when you click it.. it doesn't populate a full search bar... just another square you can type in.  

That is in no way convoluted.
    I'd like to recommend rolling Forum Q&A Archives (only 16 topics) in with Site Suggestions, if that will free up a category.