Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The end of Funcom

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    edited August 2015
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reza82Reza82 Member UncommonPosts: 40
    Bittersweet, the starting area had such a great feel to it and I have fond memories of it.  As already been stated here many times, the rest of the game fell short for a number of reasons.  We are in need of a "renaissance" age of the mmorpg, but we need bones and artifacts to uncover for this to happen, perhaps this is a start.
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,389
    edited August 2015
    Asm0deus said:
    Did you guys notice Age of Conan on the Aeriagames.com site?

http://www.aeriagames.com/playnow/aocus
    AeriaGames have been publishing it for a very very longtime now. AoC has been on their website for, i believe, more than 2 years now.
    Could be the last game I played from aeriagames was last chaos a long long long time ago. lol

I tend to miss lots of whats going on as I tend to post in spurts when in between games or if I happen to be following a few threads that interest me.

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• carotidcarotid Member UncommonPosts: 425
    octa said:

I will never forget. I will never forgive.
    LOL What?? It's just a game LOL
  • DrevarDrevar Member UncommonPosts: 177
    I gave up on Funcom way back with AO when they decided to go full pew-pew and dropped all the non-combat content they had promised, ie. advancing within the various Omnicorp divisions, politics, etc.  Haven't cared to see them succeed since--haven't cheered their demise, but am apathetic to a company that dismissed everything I had picked up AO for.

"If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let their be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it."
    -Luke McKinney, The 7 Biggest Dick Moves in the History of Online Gaming

"In the end, SWG may have been more potential and promise than fulfilled expectation. But I'd rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."
    -Raph Koster

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    octa said:
    The death knell has rung:

As the article states, Funcom is actively attempting to sell the company and its games.

I don't have much good to say about an organization that willfully released unfinished, broken, and in some cases absolute bait and switches to its consumers.  The Age of Conan marketing lies and its subsequent abysmal launch are a perfect example of their blatant practices in this regard.

I do not wish ill will towards the hard working employees who attempted to turn things around there but I am glad that the horrible management involved will be wiped away with the blight of its name.  Funcom will forever be remembered by me as the "cool idea but horrible execution" company.  Hopefully this serves an example to the industry that eventually, even if not immediate, that terrible anti-consumer practices will eventually spell the death of any organization.

I have harbored a long standing grudge against this company for the way it appalled and insulted me with the launch of Age of Conan.  I feel relieved today that justice was borne out in the end.  The world will be a brighter place the day the doors are locked on these scam artists.  

The relief may be short, however, as we see liars like Erling Elingson embark on a new endeavor.  I will continue to hold steadfast and vigilant wherever he snakes off to.  I ask all of you to do the same.

Funcom has delivered us some innovative and fresh "out of the box" games with AO, AoC and TSW.
    Where they buggy? Sure.
    But please tell me how WoW, SWG and EQ2 were at launch back in the day? Bugfree? Thought not. /shrug

And the whole Bait and Switch regarding AoC is getting really old now. I can't hear another word about those stupid tavern brawling.

Funcom are complete saints when it comes to Bait and Switch tactics. TRION, Cryptic, PWE, EA and SOE have done far worse in that department.

Funcom has (and had) a lot of great talent. It just suffered from bad management, like with so many other game studios. /shrug

AoC is still fun to play and TSW still has a solid playerbase.

So I hope someone or some company will buy them out.
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    JeroKane said:
    octa said:

As the article states, Funcom is actively attempting to sell the company and its games.

I don't have much good to say about an organization that willfully released unfinished, broken, and in some cases absolute bait and switches to its consumers.  The Age of Conan marketing lies and its subsequent abysmal launch are a perfect example of their blatant practices in this regard.

I do not wish ill will towards the hard working employees who attempted to turn things around there but I am glad that the horrible management involved will be wiped away with the blight of its name.  Funcom will forever be remembered by me as the "cool idea but horrible execution" company.  Hopefully this serves an example to the industry that eventually, even if not immediate, that terrible anti-consumer practices will eventually spell the death of any organization.

I have harbored a long standing grudge against this company for the way it appalled and insulted me with the launch of Age of Conan.  I feel relieved today that justice was borne out in the end.  The world will be a brighter place the day the doors are locked on these scam artists.  

The relief may be short, however, as we see liars like Erling Elingson embark on a new endeavor.  I will continue to hold steadfast and vigilant wherever he snakes off to.  I ask all of you to do the same.

Funcom has delivered us some innovative and fresh "out of the box" games with AO, AoC and TSW.
    Where they buggy? Sure.
    But please tell me how WoW, SWG and EQ2 were at launch back in the day? Bugfree? Thought not. /shrug

And the whole Bait and Switch regarding AoC is getting really old now. I can't hear another word about those stupid tavern brawling.

Funcom are complete saints when it comes to Bait and Switch tactics. TRION, Cryptic, PWE, EA and SOE have done far worse in that department.

Funcom has (and had) a lot of great talent. It just suffered from bad management, like with so many other game studios. /shrug

AoC is still fun to play and TSW still has a solid playerbase.

So I hope someone or some company will buy them out.
    There is a difference, WoW, SWG. EQ2 find a bug they fixed them. AO, AoC, TSW found a bug they ignored or removed entire game content. 
  • DeasantDeasant Member UncommonPosts: 198
    edited August 2015
    @Dren_Utogi  

I too have spent a lot, over $1,000. I don't regret a single penny. But I agree that the money going to Funcom was largely wasted. The potential they squandered is still a dagger in my heart to this day. 

I can can only hope that instead of this being the inevitable death, that with new ownership could come new life.
    Post edited by Deasant on
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    octa said:

I played Anarchy and loved it for years. FC gladly took my $14.99/mo for many years. What did they put back into Anarchy? Nothing. All they did was re funnel the revenue from wherever they could scrounge into AOC and then TSW. OK, Well there was the LOX booster, that was little more than what any other MMO does in a quarter, but for them it was one patch after years of stagnation. Oh yeah, and we had to pay another 20 bucks to get it. It wasn't even a real expansion. And then if that wasn't enough, they added a cash shop. That should have allowed them to ad some meat to the game right? Nahh. Nothing NADA. They couldn't even live up to their promise of a new engine. Oh yeah, it came out last month, but for what? THere are no new textures, no new meshes, no new animations.........

These greed mongers are reaping what they sewed.

• PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762
    octa said:
    Po_gg said:
    But... just think about it, if they'll close, you won't be able to post the annual "x+1 years and this abomination is still alive" thread... =)
    The anniversary of that debacle always weighs heavy on me.  I can only hope that the eradication of this blight of a company will assuage my frustration and anxiety when the date approaches in the following year.  I post every year as a cathartic release of these feelings; I look forward to not needing it!

Truly, I get physically sick in my stomach thinking back to that launch day 7 years ago.  We were lied to, manipulated, and taken advantage of.  They almost got away with it. 

Shakespeare said it best:

"He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
    Will stand a tip-toe when this day is nam’d,
    And rouse him at the name of Crispian."
    Seriously? Physically sick? Man, I wish my life was so easy as to have the only things upset me are unfinished video games. 

@firstworldoverlydramaticproblems

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• 13lake13lake Member UncommonPosts: 719
    Yup AoC hands done best end game, and hands down best dueling, and also one of the best mmos for pvp. I've never had as much fun in game as i had in AoC (i started playing a little bit less than a year after launch).

TSW amazing story, incredible class system.

Anyone saying AoC raids were tank and spank is actually trolling or ignored everything AoC related after launch day 1
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    edited August 2015
    I love it how people hate Funcom.  Really guys, I know Funcom always under delivers but no one seems to talk about why. It is because they always aim for the skies, they also show so much potential that everybody gets their hopes up, they are bound to fail because if everything went according to plan they would deliver the Holy Grail among MMORPGs.

For me, Funcom does raids and dungeons better then any other company, TSW blew me away in that regard. Also, graphically wise I think they destroy companies like SOE and Blizzard or Arenanet. Story wise? Do not get me started, so much better then the rest. For me their flaws stand out so much because there is such an incredibly amount of quality as well. 

Holding a grudge over a video game, 'defending your rights as a customer,' getting physically sick and all the other over emotional, bitter blabla looks ridiculous, First World problems much? Go visit The slums in India and tell them how badly you got treated by the Evil video game company named Funcom. Perspective is sorely lacking on these forums, making people look like whining brats. Funcom disappointed me too on several occasions, you know what I did? I moved on.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• DavirokDavirok Member UncommonPosts: 75
    As a hardcore AoC player this makes me sad but it had to happen anyway. 
  • FomaldehydeJimFomaldehydeJim Member UncommonPosts: 673
    Funcom had great ideas and translated them poorly into products: -

AoC

The idea: An adult MMORPG with blood and (for the time) relatively complex sequential button pressing, a great lore and a great story. 

The reality: A really fun starter area followed by buggy and unfinished grind released far too early. 

TSW

The idea: A conspiracy theorists dream. Lore based on the Illiminati and some sub-Matrix (which is offensive, sorry) idea that all we see is but a shadow on a wall and we must search for the truth. 

The reality: Horrible animations, art and combat mechanics. Tedious and repetitive gameplay. As someone said, everyone professes to like it but no-one chooses to play it.  

The Lego One

The idea: Everyone loves Lego, we must be onto a winner!

The reality: No building, which is the primary purpose of Lego and has been proven to work in games like Minecraft and Trove. No other IP such as Batman, Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter to sell the concept in the way that other single player Lego games have been sold.  

Conclusion 

Great ideas, bad execution. This is not a surprise at all. 
  • syltmackasyltmacka Member UncommonPosts: 404
    edited August 2015
    I hope not. My favoritegame atm is secret world.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    octa said:

Here i thought you were talking about serious stuff that matters.... like war and corrupt world leaders.
  • goofy3kgoofy3k Member UncommonPosts: 250
    Anarchy Online was one of my first MMO's, some good memories. Funcom had good ideas and settings for games, they just weren't very well developed or thought out. All their games could have been so much better.
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534

TSW

The idea: A conspiracy theorists dream. Lore based on the Illiminati and some sub-Matrix (which is offensive, sorry) idea that all we see is but a shadow on a wall and we must search for the truth. 

The reality: Horrible animations, art and combat mechanics. Tedious and repetitive gameplay. As someone said, everyone professes to like it but no-one chooses to play it.  

and that's why you do the investigative missions on your own, and not WoW style :)

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

edited August 2015

The Lego One

The reality: No building, which is the primary purpose of Lego and has been proven to work in games like Minecraft and Trove. No other IP such as Batman, Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter to sell the concept in the way that other single player Lego games have been sold.  

Lego mini figures online was never meant to be a building game. The first PC iteration was too heavy focused on Micro Transactions / buying real mini figure bags with unlock codes.

The new iOS version is fantastic! It´s aimed at kids and I am currently playing it with my 4 year old son on our iPads and he is having a total blast unlocking new figures, collecting lego parts to build/unlock even more figures.

So for these kids it´s a fun game. You can pick it up, play for an hour, put it away and pickup again later.

The game so far is rock solid and runs very smooth.
    edited August 2015
    JeroKane said:

The Lego One

Lego mini figures online was never meant to be a building game. The first PC iteration was too heavy focused on Micro Transactions / buying real mini figure bags with unlock codes.

The new iOS version is fantastic! It´s aimed at kids and I am currently playing it with my 4 year old son on our iPads and he is having a total blast unlocking new figures, collecting lego parts to build/unlock even more figures.

So for these kids it´s a fun game. You can pick it up, play for an hour, put it away and pickup again later.

I honestly do not know, has it been a success? Are you the exception or the rule? We all know how we should treat anecdotal evidence... 
  • DavirokDavirok Member UncommonPosts: 75

AoC

The idea: An adult MMORPG with blood and (for the time) relatively complex sequential button pressing, a great lore and a great story. 

The reality: A really fun starter area followed by buggy and unfinished grind released far too early. 

I think you are really wrong here, this point of view seems to be coming from someone that has never played the game in depth. 

The game took some months to become the awesome experience it became for hardcore PvP players and raiders.
    edited August 2015
    Davirok said:

AoC

I think you are really wrong here, this point of view seems to be coming from someone that has never played the game in depth. 

The game took some months to become the awesome experience it became for hardcore PvP players and raiders.
    You will notice I said "released far too early".  I played this game at release, I played it before the F2P transition and after.  No doubt I enjoyed it after  they had filled in the many gaps at release. But releasing a bad or unfinished game; that is hard to recover from. You sound like you are trying to argue against first impressions, yet we all know they count for a lot.  
    JeroKane said:

The Lego One

I honestly do not know, has it been a success? Are you the exception or the rule? We all know how we should treat anecdotal evidence... 

No idea about the success. It released just two-three weeks ago on iOS and It does get good reviews on the App store and I already paid for a new zone unlock. So we going through this medieval zone now. Great fun.

• tupodawg999tupodawg999 Member UncommonPosts: 724
    I didn't play AoC for long (didn't like the crafting) but from what I recall the combat was relatively fun compared to most games and the classes were cool.

The big thing for me is they got the Conan "feel" right imo - visually it was very cool so everyone who's enjoyed the books should at least take a brief tour just for that.

• Tasslehoff35Tasslehoff35 Member UncommonPosts: 962
    octa said:
    Po_gg said:
    But... just think about it, if they'll close, you won't be able to post the annual "x+1 years and this abomination is still alive" thread... =)
    The anniversary of that debacle always weighs heavy on me.  I can only hope that the eradication of this blight of a company will assuage my frustration and anxiety when the date approaches in the following year.  I post every year as a cathartic release of these feelings; I look forward to not needing it!

Truly, I get physically sick in my stomach thinking back to that launch day 7 years ago.  We were lied to, manipulated, and taken advantage of.  They almost got away with it. 

Shakespeare said it best:

"He that outlives this day, and comes safe home,
    Will stand a tip-toe when this day is nam’d,
    And rouse him at the name of Crispian."
    Wow if this is true I think it's time you hang up the mouse and keyboard and look into getting some help...
This discussion has been closed.