Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's a bad game

Comments

• HolyAvengerOneHolyAvengerOne Member UncommonPosts: 708
    edited August 2015
    JC-Smith said:
    @HolyAvenger: We rarely monitor these forums. Not really our place to talk about player opinions, especially when considering the circumstances. You do realize that he has 13 posts and all are in this thread? He's invested into this thread and responding only keeps him going. Everyone is entitled to their own opinions of the game. It won't be for everyone. By this point there is plenty of information out there which doesn't have to come directly from the developers. There's over 650 reviews on Steam currently, hundreds of threads, etc. The time for us to defend the games features is probably over. We'll answer questions and such, but we aren't going to get into a discussion with a player over the merits of the game. Some will love it, some will hate it. That is for players to discuss.

Yes, it looks like the OP's account was created just for that purpose... and yet, it is very well worded, and for the most part not offensive. He merely gives his point of view on some design choices. True, these are only one person's opinion, but how many times have you had the chance to read such an elaborate and eloquent post on the game's features on a public forum? Not that often.

That being said, unless you believe the feature set of The Repop is, well, set in stone and never going to move, I think it is a good thing that you go out and discuss or defend them, because I believe it is only through discussion and argument that we grow and improve stuff.
  • Octagon7711Octagon7711 Member LegendaryPosts: 9,000
    I've played both SWG and Repop and they still have a lot of work to do on the game.  I could see it being a total of five years before  the game launches.  Long as they do it right I don't mind the wait.   I wish them well.  OP's post was well written and I ended up reading the whole thing because I found the points made to be very interesting.  I found little enjoyment playing the game but realized it's still an early work in progress, so I'll come back from time to time just to see how it's going.

"We all do the best we can based on life experience, point of view, and our ability to believe in ourselves." - Naropa      "We don't see things as they are, we see them as we are."  SR Covey

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    In the end...it's still not finished, Whether you agree with the "Alpha" tag and/or believe the release date is not a factor. How many game do you remember that changed towards the good days before release? Answer...a bunch. Because that's when they release the optimized versions.

Sorry you wrote a book though...but an essay would have done better....at around 3 months in. Not a few days.

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• BalianWolfieBalianWolfie Member UncommonPosts: 240
    I wanted to check the date of the post; I mean, after all there's a reason why this game had been shutdown numerous time.

To my surprise, I couldn't find any info about when this post was made in the new forums!!!

But yea I never played the game; it's like one of those niches who know it loves it and still had to leave because of tons of reasons. This Repopulation shutdown only makes me wonder how long TSW will be shutdown.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

It's ALPHA, it's ALPHA.

@ThompsonSub - You could have stopped right there.  You tout your time in game as a qualifier and stated it was rhetorical for any idiots out there, well I guess you chose to join them.  Every 'issue' you illuminated can be directly related to the game being in ALPHA stages of testing.  Again, a point the developers do not even attempt to hide.  So well done pointing out what everyone that has actually played the game is pointing out, it is in Alpha, it will be fixed.  Except probably the crafting, that is designed to keep morons at bay.  It seems to be working well.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• sdbaynhamsdbaynham Member UncommonPosts: 18
    edited August 2015
    In the end...it's still not finished, Whether you agree with the "Alpha" tag and/or believe the release date is not a factor. How many game do you remember that changed towards the good days before release? Answer...a bunch. Because that's when they release the optimized versions.

Sorry you wrote a book though...but an essay would have done better....at around 3 months in. Not a few days.
    I actually don't remember any game that has ever turned around their design decisions in the days right before release.  Generally game developers avoid putting gameplay changes in right before release since it skips the testing process.  I did not mention the graphics or optimization at all in my initial post, so I'm not sure why everyone keeps talking about how they'll optimize it or my computer must be bad or something.  Seems like some defensiveness.

And we are well after the 3 months mark since The Repopulation started charging people to play it.  People considering spending money should have access to a wide variety of opinions about the game.
  • JC-SmithJC-Smith Member UncommonPosts: 421
    I wanted to check the date of the post; I mean, after all there's a reason why this game had been shutdown numerous time.

To my surprise, I couldn't find any info about when this post was made in the new forums!!!

But yea I never played the game; it's like one of those niches who know it loves it and still had to leave because of tons of reasons. This Repopulation shutdown only makes me wonder how long TSW will be shutdown.
    I think there is some confusion here. Repop is not nor has it ever been shut down.
  • NordicApacheNordicApache Member UncommonPosts: 134
    @JC-Smith ;
    He may be thinking of Earthrise lol. 
  • IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member RarePosts: 616
    Game is definately lacking. I feel bad about it too because a buddy of mine did voice over work for the company and gave me a free key, but the game just doesn't feel anything like SWG in any sense.

MurderHerd

• StoneRosesStoneRoses Member RarePosts: 1,771
    Lotharen said:

For those that might not understand. This game is in ALPHA.

That means not everything is implemented yet. The core mechanics are being fleshed out. Once the game hits BETA they will start building on the core mechanics.

Entertainers are getting there revamp. The last patch was the first phase of the Entertainer revamp with more to follow in the coming patch next week.

There is a ton of information on what they have planed on the main forums of the Repopulation website. Most of these concerns are addressed there as on there 'To-Do' list. A little searching goes a long way before saying a game is crap even before its out of ALPHA.

I love The Repopulation - its a great game. Its NOT SWG, it just takes ideas from it and is become its own game. If I wanted to play SWG I could just join the EMU.

Call it Alpha, Beta, or Final release!

They are promoting it so it's completely open to any criticism.

"The Repopulation is a Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game in a science fiction setting. In many ways it is a throwback to the social aspects and sandbox driven gameplay that made titles like Star Wars Galaxies and Ultima Online successful including social oriented gameplay and complex crafting systems."

Release Date: Dec 19, 2014"

Buy The Repopulation - Silver Package

SPECIAL PROMOTION! Offer ends September 4

-25%

$19.99

$14.99

Buy The Repopulation - Gold Package

SPECIAL PROMOTION! Offer ends September 4

-25%

$39.99

$29.99

MMORPGs aren't easy, You're just too PRO!
  • ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    Wait. Skills are time based? I don't remember that. Did they change skill progression?
    ?
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    I appreciated the critique of the game...I wish more people would go to this length to discuss things about games before they release.....Too many just say "This is the greatest game ever" and most haven't even played it.........The problem with any space sandbox game is going to be the SWG comparisons......Its going to be inevitable......Also its an indie game so changes can happen...That can be very good or very bad.
  • cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    the games crafting system is overly complex and a lot of unneeded steps that make it boogle down and be boring. This isnt instant gratification either I enjoyed SWG crafting a lot it made you feel like you earned something when you accomplished stuff or left planet with your harvesters to find the best quality ingredients. But with that being said I did not like the crafting in the repopulation at all and the combat was just bad overall. I found little to no reason to continue playing this game after a couple of days as I was bored out of my mind. Im sure it will appeal to some here but there is just much better options out there currently in multiplayer sandbox games.
  • TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619
    We all complain when every new game that launches is a themepark.
    We all complain when a game tries to make us pay a sub fee for access to alpha/beta testing
    We all complain when game devs dont talk to us

Then, when a small indie company tries to do something different we only get more complaining.  Is the release date probably going to get pushed back?  Most likely.  Can you get a copy of the game for as low as $15 to jump in and play it now/forever? Yep.  Do the devs communicate and even post on forums other than their own?  Yep. 

Its still being worked on, its not released yet and the pricing seems to reflect this.  I cant complain until I see the finished/released product. 
    "Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Talonsin said:
    We all complain when every new game that launches is a themepark.
    We all complain when a game tries to make us pay a sub fee for access to alpha/beta testing
    We all complain when game devs dont talk to us

Then, when a small indie company tries to do something different we only get more complaining.  Is the release date probably going to get pushed back?  Most likely.  Can you get a copy of the game for as low as $15 to jump in and play it now/forever? Yep.  Do the devs communicate and even post on forums other than their own?  Yep. 

Its still being worked on, its not released yet and the pricing seems to reflect this.  I cant complain until I see the finished/released product. 
    @Talonsin
    I love shit like this! Not only is this Insightful, Awesome, and LOL! I will Agree!

I picture it as a bunch of folks running around their Sock Puppets!

Archlyte said:
    Wait. Skills are time based? I don't remember that. Did they change skill progression?
    Not sure what is meant by this one, and this isn't directly responding to Archlyte (who was asking the question) but I did want to clear up any confusion there. There is no offline progression or anything like that. You do things and raise skill.
  • CryptorCryptor Member UncommonPosts: 523
    Repopulation might not be for everyone but I am sure having a total blast in it
  • SpiiderSpiider Member RarePosts: 1,135
    sdbaynham said:
    I've played 10 hours, how many days do I have to put in before my opinion becomes valid?
    Your opinion is valid from the first minute. But opinions are like... noses... everybody has one.
    I just dont get why you invested more hours in writing this post then playing the game. Repop offers more the more you invest into it. It sounds like its not your cup of tea. Fine. Move on any play something else and thanks for sharing your ... nose.

No fate but what we make, so make me a ham sandwich please.

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    Given the pace of development how long until we can expect The Repopulation to be a fully featured game with launch quality?
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • psiicpsiic Member RarePosts: 1,640
    I am a first round backer, that increased my investment. Never have I regretted backing anything more. I agree with the OP 1000%. Repop was nothing but a disappointment for me personally and understand this is coming from a SWG player than was playing SWG from the 1st day of beta, until they moment they pulled the plug. I persevered all the SWG restructure nightmares for a love of the game. I can not even persevere more than 2 hours in repopulation at a time without screaming and cussing out the idiots who made it. That being said it was an expensive but well learned lesson, and I am much happier having removed this game from all association with me or my SWG memories.
  • ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340

I didn't know this. WOW So this game is released a year OK?
    ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
    @Archwind: The game has not been released, it is in early access.
  • BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    psiic said:
    I am a first round backer, that increased my investment. Never have I regretted backing anything more. I agree with the OP 1000%. Repop was nothing but a disappointment for me personally and understand this is coming from a SWG player than was playing SWG from the 1st day of beta, until they moment they pulled the plug. I persevered all the SWG restructure nightmares for a love of the game. I can not even persevere more than 2 hours in repopulation at a time without screaming and cussing out the idiots who made it. That being said it was an expensive but well learned lesson, and I am much happier having removed this game from all association with me or my SWG memories.
    I wasn't aware that they were supposed to be making Star Wars Galaxies " The Sequel".

You pretty much made your own bed there, expecting something it was not meant to be.    I agree, the game was a disappointment for me also, but saying that it wasn't SWG2, is not a valid criticism.  

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

ArChWind said:

I didn't know this. WOW So this game is released a year OK?
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/322300