Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

POST NEW FORUM BUGS / ISSUES HERE

Comments

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Vrika said:
    On the top bar there's cog -button that links to: http://forums.mmorpg.com/profile/edit

There's no way to click this link because it only opens to a drop-down menu, which does not include that link.

The link works if you right-click and select to open it in new window.

I'm using Google Chrome.

EDIT: If you edit your post, and toggle full page -editor, you get black text on black backround./EDIT

@MikeB ;and @skywisenight ;- can we fix this?

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Is this how these forums are supposed to look? Because if it is then i have to say that your designer needs to go back to 1980 where he belongs. The color scheme is horrible and the fonts and typography nearly unreadable.

I know it's kinda cool to have a dark site with black background but it does not help legibility especially when the font sizes and text colors are all over the place.

Purple neon lava lamp backgrounds? Seriously guys!

If you need a good design let me know. I will even do it for free for you.

First, A+ for being a grumpy bugger this AM. :proud: 

This design is not final, as it won't look much like this at all in the new site. We had to theme it to the old site, which admittedly, really needs an upgrade. Hence, why we're doing the new site in general.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    @cameltosis ;- It's just showing up for you. Mike can explain more, but I'm pretty sure you're only going to see your own details, as I can't. We're still tweaking there.
    Nice one, cheers for the explanation Bill, looks like someone has been hard at work as my location no longer shows up  =)

My only other suggestion (so far) is the recent posts section above the forum list. It doesn't seem like a particularly helpful section and it takes up a lot of space above the forum lists. I'd prefer to see this section removed completely or just moved somewhere else. If it's going to stay then I think it would be better if it was "most active threads", e.g. most posts in a thread in the last hour / day, rather than just most recent posts.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited August 2015
    Vrika said:
    On the top bar there's cog -button that links to: http://forums.mmorpg.com/profile/edit

There's no way to click this link because it only opens to a drop-down menu, which does not include that link.

I'm using Google Chrome.
    Another similar link: The globe -icon that says Notifications leads to http://forums.mmorpg.com/profile/Vrika if you right click it.

If you click it normally, you'll get the notifications list instead.

I think the right-clicking functionality is linked to wrong location, and should lead to http://forums.mmorpg.com/profile/notifications

Oh yeh, another suggestion. 

Where we have the "insightful", "agree", "awesome" and "lol" buttons, can we balance these out with negative equivalents? By only allowing positive inputs, you remove any potential meaning from these buttons. Its like facebook only having the like button. Its ridiculous! I only care if someone has 100 likes if it balances out favourably against dislikes. 

For example, on facebook I have a lot of ignorant left wing friends who constantly spout utter rubbish, but they receives tons of likes from other ignorant lefties. There is no way for people to register their dislike, thus facebook just serves to provide meaningless positive reinforcement. Sure, this works well in deceiving the masses and getting people addicted to site, but I would hope that MMORPG has loftier goals and might actually be interested in seeing some useful data from their forums. 
  • MrSnufflesMrSnuffles Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Is this how these forums are supposed to look? Because if it is then i have to say that your designer needs to go back to 1980 where he belongs. The color scheme is horrible and the fonts and typography nearly unreadable.

I know it's kinda cool to have a dark site with black background but it does not help legibility especially when the font sizes and text colors are all over the place.

Purple neon lava lamp backgrounds? Seriously guys!

If you need a good design let me know. I will even do it for free for you.

First, A+ for being a grumpy bugger this AM. :proud: 

This design is not final, as it won't look much like this at all in the new site. We had to theme it to the old site, which admittedly, really needs an upgrade. Hence, why we're doing the new site in general.

And a good morning to you too!

Not being grumpy, just calling it how it is. I sincerely hope it will change. My offer stands though.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"It's pretty simple, really. If your only intention in posting about a particular game or topic is to be negative, then yes, you should probably move on. Voicing a negative opinion is fine, continually doing so on the same game is basically just trolling."
    - Michael Bitton
    Community Manager, MMORPG.com

"As an online discussion about Star Citizen grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Derek Smart approaches 1" - MrSnuffles's law

"I am jumping in here a bit without knowing exactly what you all or talking about." 
    - SEANMCAD

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    edited August 2015
    @cameltosis ;- It's just showing up for you. Mike can explain more, but I'm pretty sure you're only going to see your own details, as I can't. We're still tweaking there.
    Nice one, cheers for the explanation Bill, looks like someone has been hard at work as my location no longer shows up  =)

OK, on further investigation, my location does still show up, but only on posts that I've just made. 

Presumably you are using JS or similar to add new posts to the list, thus avoiding reloading problems. It looks like the post layout used by the JS is slightly different from the post layout used when loading the page. 

In the screenshot below, the first post I made a few minutes ago, left the thread and came back. The second post (this one...) I've just made and haven't reloaded the page and is showing my location. 

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited August 2015
    On http://forums.mmorpg.com/ there's a list of games with pictures at left side of the screen.

EVE Online picture on that list links to wrong place.

EVE Online link on the written list of game forums, at left side of same page, works correctly.

Not being grumpy, just calling it how it is. I sincerely hope it will change. My offer stands though.
    I actually think they look way better than the old forums, but you haven't seen what we've got cooking yet. I really think you'll be pleased with the new site. Won't be too long now...

My Review Manifesto

edited August 2015
    Vrika said:
    On http://forums.mmorpg.com/ there's a list of games with pictures at left side of the screen.

EVE Online link on the written list of game forums, at left side of same page, works correctly.

Fixing now!

EDIT: I lied. This one's all @MikeB ;- I believe it just has to do with the fact that Mike has to dump the links to the root forum, not the general chat, and then update that sidebar link. Should be done today.

My Review Manifesto

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    2 things...

1. You guys said there would be no thumb up and down system. This awesome, LOL, agree thing is just as bad. Is this staying?
    2. Comments have no color options, whats up with that?
  • skywisenightskywisenight Member UncommonPosts: 348
    Vrika said:

Fixing now!

EDIT: I lied. This one's all @MikeB ;- I believe it just has to do with the fact that Mike has to dump the links to the root forum, not the general chat, and then update that sidebar link. Should be done today.

The EVE link is fixed

I actually think they look way better than the old forums, but you haven't seen what we've got cooking yet. I really think you'll be pleased with the new site. Won't be too long now...
    You won't hear any argument from me. Bill stated the truth, this is a bandaid theme to match the crazy old theme we are still unfortunately "rocking" on mmorpg.com It will be changing in *hopefully* a month or a little more when the rest of the site is done.
    Nanfoodle said:
    2 things...

1. You guys said there would be no thumb up and down system. This awesome, LOL, agree thing is just as bad. Is this staying?

1.) It is, but can be tweaked per @MikeB and what he wants to do. Personally, I really like it. It adds to the gamification and the idea of getting badges for participating. There are zero negative options.

2.) You can code them in yourself, but obviously that's not ideal. Mike can say whether or not allowing colors changes in the editor is an option, but I don't think it is. I believe the forums inherit the CSS rules we throw at them, unless overridden in the HTML of the post manually.

My Review Manifesto

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    edited August 2015
    Pardon if this is a FAQ.  Is there functionality to block griefers?

If so, I can't find it.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
    edited August 2015
    Nanfoodle said:
    2 things...

1.) It is, but can be tweaked per @MikeB and what he wants to do. Personally, I really like it. It adds to the gamification and the idea of getting badges for participating. There are zero negative options.

2.) You can code them in yourself, but obviously that's not ideal. Mike can say whether or not allowing colors changes in the editor is an option, but I don't think it is. I believe the forums inherit the CSS rules we throw at them, unless overridden in the HTML of the post manually.
     1. Over having a conversation that turns forums into a popularity contest. Groups of people will like X posts but Y poster opening the door for off comments on who is in their clique and who is not. Even without no negative vote its a negative move on this forum. Up voting needs to go and I have left more then one forum over seeing this type of system break a forums. Pls, pls remove it. We as a community were very vocal about this on the thread when the new forum was announced. 
    Vrika said:

I'm using Google Chrome.

EDIT: If you edit your post, and toggle full page -editor, you get black text on black backround./EDIT

@MikeB ;and @skywisenight ;- can we fix this?
    The editor colours should match the rest now.

Nanfoodle said:
    2 things...

The colours are probably over-ridden currently... they won't have to be when we switch to black text on white though.
    http://forums.mmorpg.com/profile/signature

Editor for signature is white text on white background.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
    Page buttons (bottom right) indicate current page by font size, but the size difference is so small that it's difficult to tell which is the current page.

ZombieKen said:
    Page buttons (bottom right) indicate current page by font size, but the size difference is so small that it's difficult to tell which is the current page.
    Both issues have been tackled.
    ZombieKen said:
    Both issues have been tackled.

Awesome work ! :-)

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Nanfoodle said:
    2 things...

The new forum -- a giant step backwards.

No font color, an over elaborate (and useless) like system, limited font highlighting abilities (strikeout, but no underline???), lists but no indention (???), Left-Center-Right justification (???).  Link an old post that uses Right justification -- I don't know if that has ever been used in the history of this site.

The list of My Previous Comments is silly.  2 lines of text, with a very small topic and date.  Problem is, the 2 lines of text mostly shows a quote and never gets to my words.  You appear to have lost lots of links to older posts, and the counts appear wonky.  I have yet to find the option to change my password (something everyone should always do with a major site change), and the site has lost my birth date and age, as well as post counts.

Comments on the above quote.
    1. You may like it, but you aren't the only person using this.  I think the whole Leaderboard concept is incredibly childish.  It isn't a feature that I ever expect using.
    2. Embedding HTML into forum entries sort of defeats the purpose of having a WYSIWYG editor.  This version appears to be less useful than the prior version.
    Overall, if you paid any actual money for the development of this site, you've wasted your money.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Also this point system must be broken. Looking at my profile vs @Billmurphy, I have done more posts and earned more trophies and used the site longer yet I have 157 points and you have over 3k? 
    Nanfoodle said:
    Also this point system must be broken. Looking at my profile vs @Billmurphy, I have done more posts and earned more trophies and used the site longer yet I have 157 points and you have over 3k? 

Not broken. Mike is giving staff members the "Wellfare Legendary" badge to help our profiles stand out more. Think WoW and it's welfare epics, and there you go.

My Review Manifesto