Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would Fallen Earth scratch my itch?

panachepanache Member UncommonPosts: 397
Hi, been looking for an mmo to try while I wait for swtors expansion. Fallen Earths post apocalyptic scenario has appealed to me I know it has it's faults such as poor ai, lack of new content etc but it still intrigues me. Does it guide you into crating etc or like a true sandbox game where your dumped into the world with no clue what to do? Think I've always preferred the quest hub in zone model instead of sandbox games. I'd just like to explore a post apocalyptic world...and not pick up a dose, of radiation I mean :)

Pan

Comments

• SomethingUnusualSomethingUnusual Member UncommonPosts: 546

I'll second this question.

Though maybe not the scratch my itch part... But more or less what the state of the game may be.

My question would have to be: will this game satisfy the "I've played ten other games today, what to do now?"

Albeit it is free, maybe I should install it and check it out this weekend or something.

• user547user547 Member UncommonPosts: 150

You do get dropped into a quest hub after the intro sequence, which is actually pretty cool.  Wish they would have had more things like the intro/tutorial in the game.  The suggestion is that you go to the particular starting area for what you are interested in.  There is one for crafting, one for rifles, and so on.  But you can also run to the next suburb over if you change your mind, the choice at the end of the tutorial is just where they drop you at first.

There is a long series of quests that will guide you from zone to zone as you progress, and through a lot of the little towns in each zone too.  But if you want you can just start wandering and find your own way.

If you like to find crap laying around and make things, you'll be very busy harvesting in the huge wilderness areas.  Also, you can farm human(oid) mobs if you want to get multiple crafting drops per kill.  You'll need to buy blueprints and consume them to learn the recipes and crafting takes a very long time to max out.  At the end you can make cars, "raise" horses, motorcycles, rocket launchers, and tons of other stuff.  And somehow, everything you find has value on the broker even at level one.  Money is never worthless and inflation doesn't seem to be an issue.  The designers really nailed the in game economy, and other games should take a look at how it was done.

The game is very much about crafting and economy, but it does lack that housing element that a lot of people like.  It would have been great if they continued development on these systems, but it is still a lot of fun to explore and find materials if you are that kind of gamer.  There are lots of little out of the way places like old grocery stores, missile silos, little towns, etc. which are fun to find.  The main questline sends you on some pretty cool missions to places like these.  In one of the tutorial areas you are sent underground to investigate an old facility that is churning out messed up violent clones.  Then you head out to Junk Fortress to handle the baddies that are causing the townies so much trouble.

The other thing you spend time doing is figuring out where to spend your skill points and planning your character.  You really want to read up to avoid gimping your character, because resets are expensive.  Aiming is kind of difficult up close, so you have to develop those skills with monsters that move a little too fast for the system they have. 

All in all its a great game that needed more work.  Graphics are pretty bad (except for the sunsets), and the voiceovers from the early 2000's are hilarious. (How's Freedom goin fer ya?)  But the game is entertaining enough to max level and the storyline keeps you involved.  It's definitely worth a look for free, and the FtP restrictions aren't too bad, mainly being slower harvesting off nodes (kill mobs instead lol) and limited crafting queue which doesn't run offline 24-7 like a paid account.

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    Fallen Earth is a very fun game, give it a try, it is free.

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

How long before they shut down the FE servers ?

All I see in the News section is Cash Shop sale announcements...

The last dev blog was posted in March, and the one before that in June 2014...

Looks like it is on life support...

So sad, I really enjoyed playing it a few years ago.

• strawhat0981strawhat0981 Member RarePosts: 1,198
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

How long before they shut down the FE servers ?

All I see in the News section is Cash Shop sale announcements...

The last dev blog was posted in March, and the one before that in June 2014...

Looks like it is on life support...

So sad, I really enjoyed playing it a few years ago.

Thank you for adding, well, nothing.

Originally posted by laokoko
    "if you want to be a game designer, you should sell your house and fund your game. Since if you won't even fund your own game, no one will".

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Originally posted by user547

You do get dropped into a quest hub after the intro sequence, which is actually pretty cool.  Wish they would have had more things like the intro/tutorial in the game.  The suggestion is that you go to the particular starting area for what you are interested in.  There is one for crafting, one for rifles, and so on.  But you can also run to the next suburb over if you change your mind, the choice at the end of the tutorial is just where they drop you at first.

There is a long series of quests that will guide you from zone to zone as you progress, and through a lot of the little towns in each zone too.  But if you want you can just start wandering and find your own way.

If you like to find crap laying around and make things, you'll be very busy harvesting in the huge wilderness areas.  Also, you can farm human(oid) mobs if you want to get multiple crafting drops per kill.  You'll need to buy blueprints and consume them to learn the recipes and crafting takes a very long time to max out.  At the end you can make cars, "raise" horses, motorcycles, rocket launchers, and tons of other stuff.  And somehow, everything you find has value on the broker even at level one.  Money is never worthless and inflation doesn't seem to be an issue.  The designers really nailed the in game economy, and other games should take a look at how it was done.

The game is very much about crafting and economy, but it does lack that housing element that a lot of people like.  It would have been great if they continued development on these systems, but it is still a lot of fun to explore and find materials if you are that kind of gamer.  There are lots of little out of the way places like old grocery stores, missile silos, little towns, etc. which are fun to find.  The main questline sends you on some pretty cool missions to places like these.  In one of the tutorial areas you are sent underground to investigate an old facility that is churning out messed up violent clones.  Then you head out to Junk Fortress to handle the baddies that are causing the townies so much trouble.

The other thing you spend time doing is figuring out where to spend your skill points and planning your character.  You really want to read up to avoid gimping your character, because resets are expensive.  Aiming is kind of difficult up close, so you have to develop those skills with monsters that move a little too fast for the system they have. 

All in all its a great game that needed more work.  Graphics are pretty bad (except for the sunsets), and the voiceovers from the early 2000's are hilarious. (How's Freedom goin fer ya?)  But the game is entertaining enough to max level and the storyline keeps you involved.  It's definitely worth a look for free, and the FtP restrictions aren't too bad, mainly being slower harvesting off nodes (kill mobs instead lol) and limited crafting queue which doesn't run offline 24-7 like a paid account.

Played the game for probably 3 years now and still enjoy it every time I log in.   Please ignore the Gekko, he just likes to cause trouble.

User has got it pretty close here.   Its a great game for doing what you want.  Don't be intimidated by it being kind of sandboxy.  The way it works ( by all means do the tutorial first))  Is that you start in a starter town after the tut with lots of beginner quests.  Then as your skill and levels improve you simply move your character North to find higher levels of challenge.  There are story quests and filler quests.  You can do them in any order or even just grind if you would like.

Keep in mind that all items ( at least for PvE ) are player crafted.  There are no loot drops and no vendor bought equipment.  This is what makes the game for me.   The crafting system is perfectly set up so that when you need an item you will have the skills to craft it and that item will actually be useful.  It keeps you planning ahead and practicing crafting as well as keeping track of mats that you will need.  It all ties together beautifully in my mind and I have not found another game to date that does it this well.

There is a help channel where you can ask questions. It used to be heavily moderated and very helpful.  The moderation has dropped off and occasionally the asshats can take over but the majority of experienced players are helpful and try to keep it sane when the Devs are absent.

I highly recommend giving it a try.  If you do, spend 10 bucks in the shop to buy a commanders best crafting kit.  This will give you extra storage, and upgrade you to Freemium with lots of benfits. ( but not pay to win)  After that you don't have to spend a dime unless you want to outfit youself or buy some cool mounts.

My name is Will Stillwater or Boneserr or GunsanRoses ingame.  Hope you give it a try.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• NagilumSadowNagilumSadow Member UncommonPosts: 318
    panache said:
    Hi, been looking for an mmo to try while I wait for swtors expansion. Fallen Earths post apocalyptic scenario has appealed to me I know it has it's faults such as poor ai, lack of new content etc but it still intrigues me. Does it guide you into crating etc or like a true sandbox game where your dumped into the world with no clue what to do? Think I've always preferred the quest hub in zone model instead of sandbox games. I'd just like to explore a post apocalyptic world...and not pick up a dose, of radiation I mean :)
    If you like hoarding items and resources; if you like interesting, weird, and mysterious nooks and crannies; or if you like vast open worlds?

Then FE might be for you. It isn't an mmo wherein you'll, "build Rome in a day" and don't expect instant gratification.

If you like exploration and finding cool nooks and interesting items, this mmorpg is the forgotten deity of the genre.
    Boneserino
  • GrummusGrummus Member UncommonPosts: 151
    no, it probably won't
  • mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
  • DarkhawkeDarkhawke Member UncommonPosts: 212
    Sounds like you would enjoy it. Very fun game if you like exploring a unique post-apoc world,and gathering/crating , pretty satisfying when you finally assemble that first quad runner.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    In theory Fallen Earth should have been a great game......It had a huge open world and a pretty good crafting system, but I didnt enjoy the combat much at all......Trying to use melee against ranged attackers was a disaster.....I remember one quest where i had to go into the middle of a town that had all ranged attackers...I literally had no chance....If you go with a ranged fighter then ammo is a major pain...I remember the nodes you need to make the ammo were very scarce and it was just a nightmare to get started.