Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I hope for a REAL EQ3 !

I'm playing EQ2 on the Time Lock Server and having a blast. I'm only a level 8 but already I'm seeing a lot of group content, so I better learn how to make friends, join a Guild, figure out all the functions for the chat and finding groups using the social panel.

I better get involved so I can play with the formed groups I see around me. If I'll be truly committed to this game for awhile I better establish myself with the community for FUN and SURVIVAL...THIS IS WHAT AN MMO IS.  Anything else is an abomination of the term.  

An mmo is to be hard but with some easy stuff depending on the players mood during a play session.

I'm not just an Everquest, Vanguard or SOE fan.  In fact back in the day I liked Vanilla WoW.  I liked anything mmo, they were all good for different taste and styles.......Now I / we are reduced to just one.  Again, all others are an abominations of the term mmo. 

The up and coming " EQ Next " will be another fail with it's theme park crap, easy play and auto grouping along with its Free to play sellout.

" Final Fantasy 14 " is another sell out with its small zones, auto grouping, easy solo gaming and dungeon finder.  It's nothing like Final Fantasy 11.....Is it popular right now ?.....I WOULD SAY NO, contrary to what this web site states, it's not.  Just a few vocal loud posters, the populations are low and the game is forgotten by most.  Populations have dropped deeply after the 30 day hype, and everyone got there story fill.  What's left are the minority end game raiders........This is not an mmo, it a 30 day video game with others around you. Elitist Raiders do seem to stick around and post hard here on this site. 

Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen could very well be a long awaited mmo. A game where it's best to establish yourself for FUN and SURVIVAL, with some solo stuff mixed in. Better, more 2015ish than a dated EQ2 and without the quirks, glitches and stale graphics.

Kind of like what you would expect in a modern Everquest 3 :)

Comments

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

When was the last time you had a long friends list ?

When was the last time you NEEDED a Guild, without just another thing you feel you should belong to ?

When was the last time you felt a sense of community ?

A challenge ?

A world ?

Dungeon Finders, Easy game play, Small copies of zones, Dynamic Events, Cash shops and deep solo story quest destroys this !......GuildWars 2 write the book on being solo with others around you ( who needs a Guild )

• Scott23Scott23 Member UncommonPosts: 293
    Originally posted by delete5230

... snip...

Pantheon: Rise of the Fallen could very well be a long awaited mmo. A game where it's best to establish yourself for FUN and SURVIVAL, with some solo stuff mixed in. Better, more 2015ish than a dated EQ2 and without the quirks, glitches and stale graphics.

There is nothing that is so much fun and 'the next <your MMO here>' then a game that is in development.

Things are so much more balanced since I took the attitude - vaporware until released :)

Originally posted by Scott23

... snip...

There is nothing that is so much fun and 'the next ' then a game that is in development.

Things are so much more balanced since I took the attitude - vaporware until released :)

This could be true Scott23. 

Anyone or anything sounds good on paper.  Anyone and there brother can designe a cool web site full of features and make a flop, as we had seen so many times......I'm just being hopeful.

Again cool web sites are a dime a dozen !

What I'm most concerned about is Crowed Funding trickle release.  Many will be gone before release and the population may always be small.

This is what I call " Vanguard Saga of Heroes syndrome ".  After a bad release, many things had been fixed, but the population was already gone........... players came, players went, but not ever at the same time were there a population full of players. 

People attract people.

A soft start is not good for an mmo.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

" Final Fantasy 14 " is another sell out with its small zones, auto grouping, easy solo gaming and dungeon finder.  It's nothing like Final Fantasy 11.....Is it popular right now ?.....I WOULD SAY NO, contrary to what this web site states, it's not.  Just a few vocal loud posters, the populations are low and the game is forgotten by most.  Populations have dropped deeply after the 30 day hype, and everyone got there story fill.  What's left are the minority end game raiders........This is not an mmo, it a 30 day video game with others around you. Elitist Raiders do seem to stick around and post hard here on this site. 

Not sure how it's a 'sell out' for having small zones and a duty finder.  EQ 2 has a duty finder, most mmos have a party finder.

In FF14 you CANNOT auto group for the end game content, sorry, it doesn't let you, it makes you find friends and queue with people you actually meet.  Which ironically is what you were asking for.

FF14 is VERY popular right now, they just released their quarterly reports...

Oh also, the new ex pack for 14's zones are MUCH MUCH larger, and I rarely if ever run into someone who is 'elitist', most people gladly help each other achieve things in this game.

I know, I fed your mostly self posted thread, and I regret it, but heck, I had to defend 14 from you, because someone might think you actually had a valid point.

Originally posted by Laughing-man

Not sure how it's a 'sell out' for having small zones and a duty finder.  EQ 2 has a duty finder, most mmos have a party finder.

In FF14 you CANNOT auto group for the end game content, sorry, it doesn't let you, it makes you find friends and queue with people you actually meet.  Which ironically is what you were asking for.

Oh also, the new ex pack for 14's zones are MUCH MUCH larger, and I rarely if ever run into someone who is 'elitist', most people gladly help each other achieve things in this game.

I know, I fed your mostly self posted thread, and I regret it, but heck, I had to defend 14 from you, because someone might think you actually had a valid point.

I was expecting some of the FF14 hard core bodies here....your just the first :)

FF11 was a true mmo.

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    Originally posted by Scott23

... snip...

There is nothing that is so much fun and 'the next ' then a game that is in development.

This could be true Scott23. 

Anyone or anything sounds good on paper.  Anyone and there brother can designe a cool web site full of features and make a flop, as we had seen so many times......I'm just being hopeful.

Again cool web sites are a dime a dozen !

The difference is Pantheon actually sounds good on paper. Other games don't even have that going for them.

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Originally posted by Laughing-man

I read "easy solo gaming and dungeon finder" and thought about Titan HM or Odin. Doubt this guy played FF14 for longer than he read about it on these forums.

FF14 is an abomination of what an mmo is.

- They feed you at least a 300 part story quest that has to be done ALONE.  Maybe your wife is sitting right next to you in the same room will follow you totally across the map to turn in a single quest then back again to where you started ?  Then redone x300 more times.

- They force you to do your SOLO story quest or your locked out of Dungeons.

- Fate's are dynamic events.  There design is for auto grouping so no team work is required.  Log in, jump in, have some fast fun then jump out, just like a Pong or Space Invaders.  No thought process at all.....Remember, you CAN make mistakes little chocobo, thirty other strangers will pick up the slack.

You can prop a monkey in your chair when you go to the bathroom !

- Story, others don't have time for you, their doing there mandatory story ( yes, this coincides with above ).

- Dungeon finder, Who cares who gets mad. You'll never see them again. It's nice having an exit, a get out of jail card. A wipe the slate clean opportunity isn't it :)

- Small zones, this breaks immersion, even the cities are split.....Is this for consoles or something ?  Kind of like having 5 abalities on your action bar ?

This is not an mmo. I hate to sound like Donald Trump here, but they all suck because they all use this format.

• KayydKayyd Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Dullahan said:

The difference is Pantheon actually sounds good on paper. Other games don't even have that going for them.

Lol. What you said.
  • BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    Just like UO we will never see a EQ game that took hold of us and made us fall in love with the game. It was our first love and unfortunately we will never find anything to replace it. Smedly, McQuaid and even Garriott are looking to see if they can come up with that winning game again. Chances of it happening are like 1 in a trillion, so you guys better get ready for disappointment.

Also today we have millions of new MMORPG players that their first game was WoW and soon they will be looking for that WoW that can make them feel like WoW did. It's that endless cycle that will never end.

So like that first love you had years back all you can do now is hug the one you are with and try and forget what he or she was like way back then. :-D
    I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

- They feed you at least a 300 part story quest that has to be done ALONE.  Maybe your wife is sitting right next to you in the same room will follow you totally across the map to turn in a single quest then back again to where you started ?  Then redone x300 more times.

- Fate's are dynamic events.  There design is for auto grouping so no team work is required.  Log in, jump in, have some fast fun then jump out, just like a Pong or Space Invaders.  No thought process at all.....Remember, you CAN make mistakes little chocobo, thirty other strangers will pick up the slack.

- Story, others don't have time for you, their doing there mandatory story ( yes, this coincides with above ).

- Dungeon finder, Who cares who gets mad. You'll never see them again. It's nice having an exit, a get out of jail card. A wipe the slate clean opportunity isn't it :)

- Small zones, this breaks immersion, even the cities are split.....Is this for consoles or something ?  Kind of like having 5 abalities on your action bar ?

This is not an mmo. I hate to sound like Donald Trump here, but they all suck because they all use this format.

I have no idea about FF14, don't care much about it, I just have to ask, do you think it's better to have a game that just offers one thing and one thing only? Group play.... How is that any better? It's a shallow focus that leads to players using each other to get things done, no one is coming together because they want to, it's because they have to, just like group content in modern games, it does not promote the virtual world you keep going on about, you need to step out of the EQ1 echo chamber...

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• goboygogoboygo Member RarePosts: 2,141
    Distopia said:

I have no idea about FF14, don't care much about it, I just have to ask, do you think it's better to have a game that just offers one thing and one thing only? Group play.... How is that any better? It's a shallow focus that leads to players using each other to get things done, no one is coming together because they want to, it's because they have to, just like group content in modern games, it does not promote the virtual world you keep going on about, you need to step out of the EQ1 echo chamber...
    They have games like your talking about, their called single player games, MMO's should be group and guild focused. I totally agree with OP he's nailing it in ever post.
  • ArchlyteArchlyte Member RarePosts: 1,405
    If they stick to their professed target then anyone who wanted a true EQ3 will undoubtedly at least try the game. There is a crowd of folks dissatisfied with the dumb down revolution who can be tapped. 
    MMORPG players are often like Hobbits: They don't like Adventures
  • KayydKayyd Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Brenics said:
    Just like UO we will never see a EQ game that took hold of us and made us fall in love with the game. It was our first love and unfortunately we will never find anything to replace it. Smedly, McQuaid and even Garriott are looking to see if they can come up with that winning game again. Chances of it happening are like 1 in a trillion, so you guys better get ready for disappointment.

Also today we have millions of new MMORPG players that their first game was WoW and soon they will be looking for that WoW that can make them feel like WoW did. It's that endless cycle that will never end.

So like that first love you had years back all you can do now is hug the one you are with and try and forget what he or she was like way back then. :-D
    I kinda get tired of posting the same thing over and over, but here goes again. EQ was not my first MMORPG, UO was. So the theory that it is your first MMORPG is just wrong. What's more Wow is a lot more like EQ than AC or UO and I liked both of them more, they were more original. Also, I'm still married to my first love after several decades so....

I just don't buy the theory. There are specific reasons I like EQ. There are specific reasons many people did not. Many of those who did not were the initial player base for Wow and went on to make it a success. If you like games that make you sweat and cry and smash the monitor in frustration then you will always prefer a game like EQ over Wow because nothing makes you sweat bullets like loosing a corpse in the deep depths of some dungeon that you can't easily get back too. Many people have said repeatedly they don't want that, and for them EQ will never be their game. It is a matter of taste and until something like EQ shows up again, you're not going to convince me otherwise.
  • AeolynAeolyn Member UncommonPosts: 350
    Brenics said:

Or.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHRhq8bc-58  hope for a second chance at "love", just like lightning it can hit the same place more than once.