Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A community in denial

Aragon100Aragon100 Member RarePosts: 2,686

It is so funny to read threads over at SotA forums and on steam that describe the game pretty much negative and watch the SotA hardcore community go into denial (most likely the ones that funded the game with loads of cash early on and cant accept they have thrown their money away).

Last thread where this denial comes forward is one that take up all the negative reviews this game have gotten on steam

www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/553-reviews-on-steam-and-154-negative.35092/

- and just about all of the carebears comes running to defend the game they now have cause developers listened to their suggestions. 

Funniest part is that the negative feedback you can find on steam is feedback that describe the game and it's features and the positive one's describe the developers and how they have faith in such seasoned developers (very little constructive feedback why they have given this game a positive review).

It is time for this community to wake up and see this game for what it is, a game that will fail horribly if not just about all features get a total overhaul.

There is no risk vs reward whatsoever, worst combat system ever created, no PvP except some arena duels, pay to win shop, +10 year old graphics, NPC communications that just about no one understands and on and on.

Comments

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812

I have never like the guy developing this game he lives well in the past and lacks the talent imo to build any game in our modern times. He might of been ok in the 80's but gamer's demand real quality now days and he cannot provide that, he's proved that in the past. 

Time for this guy to hang his boots up and call it a day, it also shows how important it is to beware of how much you throw at games before they even enter development. I get it that the people who have contributed cannot or will not allow others to call their game in any way at all. Game developers need to be accountable for their promises and imo I also believe that people who have supported games by early access or kickstarter should be allowed to pull out their offerings if the developers do not offer what they said in their advertising for the game. Game developers know they can get away with murder once they have collected their funding from supporters and do not need to be responsible for their action and this is unacceptable imo.

The only blessing is that people now know that this developer is shit and not worth investing in the future.

Asbo

• rochristrochrist Member UncommonPosts: 134
    TL;DR I don't like the game, so anyone who does is in denial.
  • ramvoramvo Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Agree with the 10 year old graphics, its so ugly. I bought it and cant stand looking at it..  If a game looks that ugly, who would wanna stare at that for a whole game session.

Always looking to make more friends http://opdisasters.proboards.com/index.cgi

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Originally posted by Aragon100

+10 year old graphics

Judging by screenshots, I'd give you +5 year old graphics, but not +10.  That would be before TES Oblivion by a year.  To me, what I see looks like the tail end of DX9c, which puts it around 2009.

That is if you're talking about rendering.  I have only seen screenshots, so maybe other areas of the game have poor artwork.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • GameboyMarcGameboyMarc Member UncommonPosts: 395
    I've always been on the fence about this game. I still play UO. 

• jtripperjtripper Member UncommonPosts: 115
    Originally posted by ZombieKen

Judging by screenshots, I'd give you +5 year old graphics, but not +10.  That would be before TES Oblivion by a year.  To me, what I see looks like the tail end of DX9c, which puts it around 2009.

That is if you're talking about rendering.  I have only seen screenshots, so maybe other areas of the game have poor artwork.

Despite being a super old screenshot, and aside from the avatar model, it pretty much looks the same.  I'd say you're right, around 2009ish.  But by the time this thing is actually done in like 2018, it'll look even more dated.

Just look at the Recommended (not minimum!) specs for GPU:  AMD 6850 and GTX 550 -- both cards were released around 2009 / 2010...that pretty much caps the visual quality to that era.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Putting graphics aside, what's up with the small zones ?

Please tell me what is there to like about this game ?

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by rochrist

And don't forget that it's funny they are in denial. That is very important.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    Originally posted by delete5230

Its Unity game.

Whenever you see a game developed in Unity, remember one thing : Unity was done for mobile market - small portable games that work on variety of platforms. It was never intentioned for open world PC games , let alone for MMOs.

• GanksinatraGanksinatra Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Lol this is why studios have slowed way down making MMOs. Make easily accessible graphics, and people bitch they look old. Pit in screaming new graphics, and half the community has to upgrade video cards and the system is still crippled in large scale player interactions. They are damned if they do, damned if they don't. And this is not the only issue where we as the gamers do this.

This is a game by the grandfather of MMOs. It is in realy beta at best, and people are already pissing all over it. We have become entitled, spoiled children who now insist that if we don't like a game, others are stupid if they do.

By all means, go make your own game if you think you can do better. Otherwise, quit pissing all over other's work.
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

I'm rather enjoying it though I've only been playing a few days.  The fact it's done by someone who has their roots in the very early era of fantasy gaming is a huge plus judging by what they are going for in the "gameplay feel" department.  It doesn't hold your hand, doesn't keep a ticker for how many zombies you killed for whosits, and you only knew they needed that task done because you quite literally asked what they needed help with.  There are no hovering symbols and you may get a quest that is far away and takes a bit of travel.  When you first meet an NPC they are typically tagged as "villager" or "Refugee" and you actually have to ask their name and once you do, you then see their real name displayed.

The way they design some of the zones with a lot of flora there are times when you don't notice things coming at you, sometimes from different directions.  With how difficult it can be, at least in the early levels, and that dark is actually dark, the feel of wandering a zone is fun.  Bears don't drop swords or coins but rather you skin them for pelts, gathering for crafting takes a while, economy based around these player crafted items, etc.  I'm glad it is not modeled after the more current MMOs.

One of the lackluster aspects IMO is the sounds and timing of combat but, you know, alpha and all that.  The skills system itself is great IMO because you can build whatever you want from a wide variety of skill lines and though most people are used to a locked hotbar the dynamic deck system seems fun enough.  There is a combo system between skill lines but it either doesn't work yet or I'm doing something wrong.  While I do prefer a completely open world rather than a collection of zones connected by a "faux" overhead map they way it's presented doesn't bother me nearly as much as I thought it would.  You see other players on the faux map running and it seems like an interesting spin on fast travel, though there is that too in places.  The graphics? Look at the original KS footage and then what it looks like now.  It's not top of the line but they have a style that "normalizes" pretty quick and the compatibility between character and environment is pretty good, which is important.

Just in reading the latest bit of release information the developers have changed things because of player feedback.  Will they change aspects some people don't like such as open PvP that is flag or zone specific (even though resources are more abundant there)? Hopefully not.  You can't please everyone but beings they have raised almost 7 million they seem to be doing okay.

• sevitothsevitoth Member UncommonPosts: 375
    rochrist said:

This. Some people like it, some people don't. If you don't like the game, go play something else. There are tons of quest grinder - theme park WOW clones out there with great graphics you can play. Go play one of them.

Currently Playing: DAOC Uthgard

Previously Played: UO, DAOC, Shadowbane, AC2, SWG, Horizons, COX, WOW, EQ2, LOTRO, AOC, WAR, Vanguard, Rift, SWTOR, ESO, GW2.

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212
    sevitoth said:
    rochrist said:

This. Some people like it, some people don't. If you don't like the game, go play something else. There are tons of quest grinder - theme park WOW clones out there with great graphics you can play. Go play one of them.
    Pretty much... It's not just gamers these days that are entitled children though, it's pretty much every millennial. Hell even kids born in the late '90s are to a degree. It's a symptom of a much larger societal problem in the West. I've gotten to the point where I just ignore it or brush it aside unless it directly effects me.

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

• MoiraeMoirae Member RarePosts: 3,318
    edited August 2015
    Aragon100 said:

It is so funny to read threads over at SotA forums and on steam that describe the game pretty much negative and watch the SotA hardcore community go into denial (most likely the ones that funded the game with loads of cash early on and cant accept they have thrown their money away).

Last thread where this denial comes forward is one that take up all the negative reviews this game have gotten on steam

www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/553-reviews-on-steam-and-154-negative.35092/

- and just about all of the carebears comes running to defend the game they now have cause developers listened to their suggestions. 

Funniest part is that the negative feedback you can find on steam is feedback that describe the game and it's features and the positive one's describe the developers and how they have faith in such seasoned developers (very little constructive feedback why they have given this game a positive review).

It is time for this community to wake up and see this game for what it is, a game that will fail horribly if not just about all features get a total overhaul.

There is no risk vs reward whatsoever, worst combat system ever created, no PvP except some arena duels, pay to win shop, +10 year old graphics, NPC communications that just about no one understands and on and on.

Do tell me what the point of the insults in your post were meant for other than to upset people? 
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    edited August 2015
    Aragon100 said:

Your thread is less than desireable, I think I will take my chances with the game....
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • TheGr33nMachineTheGr33nMachine Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Aragon100 said:

Mate! You're still here! <3. Though, I do note you are still sluging Portalarium while at the same time offering no constructive feedback... What gives?
  • HawkinsHawkins Member UncommonPosts: 121
    If you are a uo fan, graphics is never an issue. What I am worrying however is the lack of something magically new. It looks just like a kind of UO2.
  • TheGr33nMachineTheGr33nMachine Member UncommonPosts: 7
    This is not even close to a UO 2.

This is more like Second Life & Sim House combination game in a Britannia like setting where the only Britannia like things come from names of geographical features.

Not Ultima. Not Ultima Online.
  • NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904
    Originally posted by delete5230

Its Unity game.

Whenever you see a game developed in Unity, remember one thing : Unity was done for mobile market - small portable games that work on variety of platforms. It was never intentioned for open world PC games , let alone for MMOs.

Unity was NOT done for the mobile market. It was developed for PC gaming.

They may have refocused recently, but it was not originally the case.

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• PottedPlant22PottedPlant22 Member RarePosts: 800
    It could be worse.  It could be Pathfinder Online.
  • GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    Pathetic is what I wold classify the Epinions here.

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• GestankfaustGestankfaust Member UncommonPosts: 1,989
    To the OP...no one is in denial. Well....maybe you...

"This may hurt a little, but it's something you'll get used to. Relax....."

• HawkinsHawkins Member UncommonPosts: 121
    This is not even close to a UO 2.

This is more like Second Life & Sim House combination game in a Britannia like setting where the only Britannia like things come from names of geographical features.

Not Ultima. Not Ultima Online.
    In terms of game play, it's not ou. In terms of content, then very close to it. Large world, sandbox, skill based, crafting mull..etc. The features are very much uo, implemented differently though, in a rather weird way. Nothing seems to be magically new and attractive. It could be too early to judge though, in its pre-Alpha stage.
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Why does every game have to have PvP?
  • DelCabonDelCabon Member UncommonPosts: 258
    My interest had waned in trying SOA but after reading some of the replies I think its worth another look.

The screenshots I saw look pretty good. I would much rather an MMO perform well than have cutting edge graphics.

Del Cabon
    A US Army ('Just Cause') Vet and MMORPG Native formerly of Trinsic, Norath and Dereth. Currently playing LOTRO. 

This discussion has been closed.