Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fallout 4: No Level Cap Unlocks Replayability

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

According to Bethesda's Twitter, Fallout 4 will not have a level cap to give players replayability options.

To our fans who’ve asked: Fallout 4 doesn’t end when the main story is over and there is no level cap. You can keep playing and leveling.

— BethesdaGameStudios (@BethesdaStudios) August 6, 2015

Will no level cap give you more reasons to keep playing when the story is over? Let us know!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    sooo.... u can be 9999 lvl if u want?:p
  • LilithMLilithM Member UncommonPosts: 82
    There must be some kind of hard cap in the system. Besides, what is there to choose for reaching lvl, say, 450? And will there even be enemies left to fight?
  • SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

I think it's a nice option to have, but I'm not sure of how much use it will be.

If they scale the mob difficulty along with the player level, that might make it worth it (like Skyrim). However, the real fun in multiple playthroughs for me is always to experience the game story and triggered events as a different character with different skill/perk combinations and/or a good or evil personality.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

I think it's a nice option to have, but I'm not sure of how much use it will be.

If they scale the mob difficulty along with the player level, that might make it worth it (like Skyrim). However, the real fun in multiple playthroughs for me is always to experience the game story and triggered events as a different character with different skill/perk combinations and/or a good or evil personality.

That pretty much needs to be the case and I am pretty sure it will be. NPC's will scale along player's level.

Otherwise, how are you going to release future DLC's? What level target would they be?

Wouldn't make sense. So NPC's will have to be dynamic for this to work.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

I agree, in order for this to work the npcs have to always level with you or something, or else eventually your going to get so high leveled everything is a joke, level has to actually mean something, in the older games higher levels=higher skills, but since for whatever inane reason they decided to get rid of the skill system there needs to be mutiple things that level effects.

I suppose we'll get a perk every 2nd level, and I am pretty sure the special perk will prob be there for perma stat raises (and if it is, it'll probally be one of the most valuable perks due to the fact everything relys on your stats). I just hope they have free play after main quest enabled by default, I don't know why they never do this in these kinds of games. usually it has to be modded in and then it comes as part of a offical dlc way later on, I hope its there at the start.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    i wish every mmo had this concept.  ESO is kind close after story ends.
  • FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

I guess you'll be able to keep going until you've unlocked every perk then. Not a bad idea as that's what happened in my playthroughs after 100's of hours into Skyrim etc. anyway. Using either mods or cheats.

Mob scaling is a given in this game I think. That's a good thing in my opinion, I hate it when monsters become cannonfodder.

It should of course be done in an intelligent way. With certain zones having minimum level requirement to survive and some mobs always being underpowered when you've outleveled them.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

Somebody, somewhere has better skills as you have, more experience as you have, is smarter than you, has more friends as you do and can stay online longer. Just pray he's not out to get you.
  • Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292
    Originally posted by Mtibbs1989
    Originally posted by Arskaaa
    sooo.... u can be 9999 lvl if u want?:p

No that's a limit. What they're saying is.... ∞ leveling. Otherwise, that statement is a lie.

There may be no hard limit, but there may be a soft limit.

• neotronneotron Member UncommonPosts: 47
    What this is good for is post-main-story mods (for example). Opens up the ability to add much more challenging content without having mods that increases level caps etc.
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

With the new building system this was a given. How am i supposed to reform the wilderness in my image if i at some point had to pick between story or ruling with a iron fist. =P 

Looking forward to this. 

This have been a good conversation

• GXRrangerGXRranger Member UncommonPosts: 42

Why would the levels really matter if its not an MMORPG?

Will Fallout 4 be an MMORPG?

No. Like previous Fallout games, Fallout 4 will be an RPG.

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

How do you replay exiting the vault for the first time if you've already picked up all the skills and equipment you could ever want?

To replay a game means to start over, not keep going.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I dwelled on this very subject over and over.IMO it is extremely shallow gaming to play just for a level number.

The word on the street at least the word everyone keeps bantering around is >>FUN ,not level numbers.To see a dev think like this tells me to stay far away from their games.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    IT's OVER 9000!!!!
  • CyntheCynthe Member UncommonPosts: 1,414
    Originally posted by neotron
    What this is good for is post-main-story mods (for example). Opens up the ability to add much more challenging content without having mods that increases level caps etc.

This is exactly right. For those of us who mod these games to death it's a siren song to never having time to play anything else because, have to install another mod. Open ended is awesome and can be a great tool to expand the game. 

(,,,)=^__^=(,,,)

• yaminsuxyaminsux Member UncommonPosts: 973
    NPC scaling? No please no, it makes level seems unimportant.
  • handheldhandheld Member UncommonPosts: 120

INC level 2mil dealth stalkers.

NOPENOPENOPE

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

nope.. I play single player games to enjoy the story once its over I prob wont continue playing.

• seannewboyseannewboy Member UncommonPosts: 12
    I am really glad they went this way, now the mods and later dlcs can get massive.
  • ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156
    Originally posted by GXRranger

Why would the levels really matter if its not an MMORPG?

Will Fallout 4 be an MMORPG?

No. Like previous Fallout games, Fallout 4 will be an RPG.

This is so wrong.

RPGs are inherently about levels and character progression. Otherwise its either an Action Adventure, Adventure, or Shooter. Its not dialogues, not story, not quests what makes game an RPG. Its levels and character progression.

REALITY CHECK

• dakilla666dakilla666 Member UncommonPosts: 306

This is actually good news for people who played the series since the original titles. I don't even want to know how many hours I put into Fallout 2 after beating the game to raise my skills and finds S.P.E.CI.A.L. upgrades to get every last secret and turn myself into a 1-man army. 

Only other thing they could announce that would make my day is hard-cap levels for enemies. I find it frustrating in Bathesda titles that you spend countless hours leveling and getting stronger/better and the same raider/demon/alien you've been killing since you're level 2 is still keeping up with you even though you've now maxed out your effectiveness in combat.

Dakilla[666] ~ The Realm ~ Level 1000 enchanter (retired)
    Maranthoric ~ La 4ieme Prophetie ~ Level 160 (5x) HE/Feu (de retour)
    Leonthoric[DDC] ~ EVE online ~ <Fire The "Laser"> (retired)

• AnirethAnireth Member UncommonPosts: 940

RPGs are about progression, but levels are just one way to do it. See UO.

Besides that.. in theory, unlimited levelling is nice. But that usually means enemies level with you, so even with level 9999 after you saved the world a hundred times, you would still have to fight every damn ghoul and raider. Enemies levelling with you effectively means no progression, as you can never just waltz through.

Even a new game plus is actually demeaning progression. A challenge, yes, but it's not really progression. You need new enemies which are different from the old ones in a meaningful way to actually have progression.

I'll wait to the day's end when the moon is high
    And then I'll rise with the tide with a lust for life, I'll
    Amass an army, and we'll harness a horde
    And then we'll limp across the land until we stand at the shore

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    Originally posted by Anireth

RPGs are about progression, but levels are just one way to do it. See UO.

Besides that.. in theory, unlimited levelling is nice. But that usually means enemies level with you, so even with level 9999 after you saved the world a hundred times, you would still have to fight every damn ghoul and raider. Enemies levelling with you effectively means no progression, as you can never just waltz through.

Even a new game plus is actually demeaning progression. A challenge, yes, but it's not really progression. You need new enemies which are different from the old ones in a meaningful way to actually have progression.

It depends on how they do the leveling. For instance, maybe certain types of mobs level with you but some stop at some point (like wolves or rats, etc).

Oblivion had the world level with you and it was like you said, there was no point to leveling. Skyrim was different as the area would lock into the level you were at when you entered it.

Your last statement is just a preference. If a rat is harder at level 80 than level 1 then you have still progressed and are still going to have a hard time fighting that rat. If you surpass that rat at level 90 then you have outlevelled that rat and your leveling has been given meaning as it makes you more powerful.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TheutusTheutus Member UncommonPosts: 636
    The first mod I always dl when it's available kills level scaling.