Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to improve my computer, for some games

ZyzzUmirinBrahZyzzUmirinBrah Member UncommonPosts: 11

My computer is nothing special, but I can play most games I've wanted too..ever since I've had it.

Currently the games i'm playing i'm having  some troubles with lag:(

Playing eso, medium. Wanted to get my textures to High..but i start lagging in cities:(, in open areas i can run max no problem,i can imagine how laggy it will get in pvp lol.

I also play rome 2, and lag in large battles, but I'd assume you'd need a pretty good pc to run that well:P

My current spec are:

Intel i7cpu 860@ 260GHz

AMD Radeon HD 7700

6GB

500PSU

I cant really buy a new computer completely, due too saving all my summer earnings for school in november, but I can use between 300 - 500 to upgrade some parts, what would you guys suggest. Thank you so much:D

Comments

• vadio123vadio123 Member UncommonPosts: 593

Overclock you I7 to at last 3.6 ghz its probably help you!!!!

Second One about GPU probably you need buy new one 

Third after Overclock... and new GPU i recomend SSD as well

Fourth - after 1,2,3 at last 650w PSU 

But at last overclock you need do , i see several guys buy low clock CPU and get ......... 

And next time if you dont need or games dont support handle all this core better buy I5 with large clock

• ZyzzUmirinBrahZyzzUmirinBrah Member UncommonPosts: 11
    What gpu would you recommend ?
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    Originally posted by ZyzzUmirinBrah

Get an NVidia.  I got the 770 GTX and can still run everything on max.  You can get that one for a good price now.

And if you have the funds, you can go for the 970GTX instead. It's a very good midrange card and will serve you for years to come.

But you might need to upgrade your PSU to at least 650W first.

Also be careful when overclocking your CPU!  You need a good quality CPU fan and good ventilation in your tower!

I have never had any need to overclock CPU's. I would personally not bother with it, as the difference in framerates within games is absolutely minimal. Not worth the hasle and risk if you have a standard outfitted system and not a premium cooled game rig that better supports overclocking!

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,347

Exactly what power supply do you have?  Give the brand name and model.  If you don't know, then open up the case and read the label.  A high quality 500 W power supply is not at all similar to a "500 W" piece of junk that will explode if you try to pull 500 W from it.

If increasing texture resolution is what causes performance to choke, then the problem is that you're running out of video memory.  1 GB isn't that much these days, and there are plenty of cards with 2 GB, 4 GB, or even more.

I'd want to see which power supply you have to determine whether it needs to be replaced before suggesting upgrades.

Originally posted by JeroKane

Get an NVidia.  I got the 770 GTX and can still run everything on max.  You can get that one for a good price now.

And if you have the funds, you can go for the 970GTX instead. It's a very good midrange card and will serve you for years to come.

You buy a particular card at a particular price, not just a brand name.  If Nvidia and AMD have equivalent cards for you, one of which costs $300 and the other $200, I'd recommend buying the $200 one just because it's cheaper--regardless of which brand it is.

The GTX 770 is discontinued and off the market, like the rest of the Kepler cards outside of the low end.  Not that it would make any sense to buy new even if it weren't.

Originally posted by Quizzical

You buy a particular card at a particular price, not just a brand name.  If Nvidia and AMD have equivalent cards for you, one of which costs $300 and the other $200, I'd recommend buying the $200 one just because it's cheaper--regardless of which brand it is.

The GTX 770 is discontinued and off the market, like the rest of the Kepler cards outside of the low end.  Not that it would make any sense to buy new even if it weren't.

You can still buy the GTX 770 cards from stores that still have old stock.

But like I said. If he has the funds, he can go for the GTX 970 instead. It's a very good MID range card (not low end, that's x50 and x60 series) that will last him for years.

But he will need to buy a 650W PSU first, as that is a minimum requirement for these cards.

My GTX 770 card can still run any game at max today. No overclocking whatsoever!

I would never buy a AMD card anymore. Hate those drivers with a passion!

I just checked on Amazon for US prices (as I live in Norway) and you can get a EVGA, MSI or ASUS GTX970 card for around 330 dollars.

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-GTX-970-4G-Graphics/dp/B00NN0GEXQ/ref=sr_1_2/181-8635439-2508933?ie=UTF8&qid=1438799597&sr=8-2&keywords=gtx+970

I have the GTX770 of that MSI Gaming series and that card rocks!

A good quality 650W PSU will start around 80 dollars.

Here is a nice 750W one:

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Modular-Bronze-ATX12V-EPS12V/dp/B00ALK3KEM/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1438800051&sr=1-2&keywords=PSU

I would have to check, but I think I have this exact same one. :)

You can still buy the GTX 770 cards from stores that still have old stock.

But like I said. If he has the funds, he can go for the GTX 970 instead. It's a very good MID range card (not low end, that's x50 and x60 series) that will last him for years.

But he will need to buy a 650W PSU first, as that is a minimum requirement for these cards.

My GTX 770 card can still run any game at max today. No overclocking whatsoever!

I would never buy a AMD card anymore. Hate those drivers with a passion!

I just checked on Amazon for US prices (as I live in Norway) and you can get a EVGA, MSI or ASUS GTX970 card for around 330 dollars.

http://www.amazon.com/MSI-GTX-970-4G-Graphics/dp/B00NN0GEXQ/ref=sr_1_2/181-8635439-2508933?ie=UTF8&qid=1438799597&sr=8-2&keywords=gtx+970

I have the GTX770 of that MSI Gaming series and that card rocks!

A good quality 650W PSU will start around 80 dollars.

Here is a nice 750W one:

http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Modular-Bronze-ATX12V-EPS12V/dp/B00ALK3KEM/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1438800051&sr=1-2&keywords=PSU

I would have to check, but I think I have this exact same one. :)

The GTX 770s that were priced reasonably sold out long ago.  You can even find much older cards that were discontinued years ago but still haven't sold out because they're priced stupidly.  For example:

http://www.memory4less.com/m4l_itemdetail.aspx?itemid=1438746691&partno=128-A8-N321-TX&rid=90&origin=pla&gclid=CjwKEAjw6IauBRCJ3KPXkNro1BoSJAAhXxpyDy3c-w3dgG8Eb2c_vzxzItRB7pDpywYKGp_Dde5xBBoC7RDw_wcB

http://www.memory4less.com/m4l_itemdetail.aspx?itemid=1465021996&partno=7121032900G&rid=90&origin=pla&gclid=CjwKEAjw6IauBRCJ3KPXkNro1BoSJAAhXxpy1T4FKDPO8wlj54M0kFt41uih17Znj4CIopPFgW4m6hoC_Pfw_wcB

Don't buy that, of course.  It would be a dubious bargain today even if it were completely free.

But my point is, a GTX 770 isn't what you should be looking for.

As for a power supply, a Corsair CX series is all right if you're on a severe budget--the sort of budget that precludes spending $200+ on a video card.  But you can and should do a lot better if you've got $80 to spend on a power supply.  Still, I want to know exactly which power supply the original poster has before suggesting a replacement--or whether it even needs to be replaced.

The GTX 770s that were priced reasonably sold out long ago.  You can even find much older cards that were discontinued years ago but still haven't sold out because they're priced stupidly.  For example:

http://www.memory4less.com/m4l_itemdetail.aspx?itemid=1438746691&partno=128-A8-N321-TX&rid=90&origin=pla&gclid=CjwKEAjw6IauBRCJ3KPXkNro1BoSJAAhXxpyDy3c-w3dgG8Eb2c_vzxzItRB7pDpywYKGp_Dde5xBBoC7RDw_wcB

http://www.memory4less.com/m4l_itemdetail.aspx?itemid=1465021996&partno=7121032900G&rid=90&origin=pla&gclid=CjwKEAjw6IauBRCJ3KPXkNro1BoSJAAhXxpy1T4FKDPO8wlj54M0kFt41uih17Znj4CIopPFgW4m6hoC_Pfw_wcB

Don't buy that, of course.  It would be a dubious bargain today even if it were completely free.

As for a power supply, a Corsair CX series is all right if you're on a severe budget--the sort of budget that precludes spending $200+ on a video card.  But you can and should do a lot better if you've got $80 to spend on a power supply.  Still, I want to know exactly which power supply the original poster has before suggesting a replacement--or whether it even needs to be replaced.

The Corsair PSU's are fine. They have several grades, bronze, gold, platinum.

I have had 3 so far in different PC's over the years and they never failed on me nor exploded and burned down my house.

I now have the Corsair 750W bronze series one sitting in my PC for over 2 years now. Still silent, efficient, rocking away doing it's job.

As long as you are not an overclocking fanatic, running SLI, etc. I see no reason paying 100+ dollars on the gold / platinum series of PSU's.

Total waste of money!

Okay so i opened my tower, i checked the model number DPS-460DB3-3A. I checked it out, and it's actually 460w :p

My AMD card 7770, seem's to have allot of problems as well. It claims it can OC to 1050 MHz..but everytime i i play on my card at those settings, its shows "amd display driver has stopped responding".
    so i just end up lowering it all the way down, and it runs fine:P

Yes it's a pavilion!:P yeah you got that right. Umm is PCpartpicker a good site to get hardware?

Searched it up, HP Pavilion Elite HPE-171f Desktop PC Product Specifications

that's the model right there.

I'm willing to spend more, maybe around 700? But i don't have the knowledge of picking the right parts..honestly i just need guidance lol:p

I'd recommend thinking replacement, not upgrade.  The computer is presumably about five years old (if you bought it four years ago, you goofed and badly), and everything in the entire rig would be nice to upgrade.  Piecemeal upgrades just have too many things that can go wrong unnecessarily, so I'd save your money and then replace the entire computer outright rather than sinking hundreds of dollars more into an aging rig.  You can keep your peripherals if you like them, of course, but I'd replace everything that goes inside the case all at once and keep the old computer functional; it should still be worth something intact if it's in good working order.

With what you have now, it's not like you need an emergency replacement, as you should be able to play games fine, just not necessarily at the settings you'd like.  A replacement takes a larger budget than an upgrade, though, so depending on what you're willing to spend, you might not want to spring for a replacement just yet.  Or if you're willing to spend $1000+ for a new computer now, I could help you pick parts.

The Corsair PSU's are fine. They have several grades, bronze, gold, platinum.

I have had 3 so far in different PC's over the years and they never failed on me nor exploded and burned down my house.

I now have the Corsair 750W bronze series one sitting in my PC for over 2 years now. Still silent, efficient, rocking away doing it's job.

As long as you are not an overclocking fanatic, running SLI, etc. I see no reason paying 100+ dollars on the gold / platinum series of PSU's.

Total waste of money!

You buy a particular power supply, not a logo on a box, or even a particular energy efficiency rating.  Corsair's CX line isn't "immediate danger to your system" garbage, but neither is it very good.  For $80, you can do much, much better:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151136

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207034

• irnbru69irnbru69 Member UncommonPosts: 124
    just upgrade to a 770 or if your on budget go for a 750, I have a 750GTX Nvidia its not even the Ti version and it runs ESO perfect with all gfx settings on high.
  • jitter77jitter77 Member UncommonPosts: 512

I have a pavilion HPE and upgrading it was a total nightmare.  If your mobo is a ipis8-cu mobo it will not go well.  I bought an R9270X and it BARELY fits in the case.  Make sure you have lots of space.  Chances are you can not get a beefy card in there. 

I hooked it up and nothing....After searching around it turns out that that mobo is garbage and people were not able to update GPUs even though it should be compatible.  So then I bought a new MOBO and went to hook it up and my HP heatsink did not fit.  Luckily I have a PC store near me with spare parts laying around and I got one for dirt cheap.  After that I go to hook it all up and the headers (power, usb, sata, etc etc) are OEM for HP and do not fit standard mother boards.  I was turning on my PC by shorting out the power pins with a screw driver for a couple days.  Anyways the PC store had an old power switch laying around so I hooked that up, but its hanging out the side of my case.  I was able to seperate some of the USB and SATA headers to get most of my ports to work.  My final issue was the GPU blocked the one SATA port so I could not hook up my CD drive.  I had to go back to PC store yet again and get a right angle SATA connector.  The point of all this is search around and be sure your PC is upgradeable!  I would save up and build your own PC or have someone build one for you. 

As for you I would get at least 8GB of RAM, a new PSU like people suggested, and a good mid range GPU.  I can play most stuff on high or medium high at 1080.  To get a FPS boost just turn off anti aliasing.  I dont see a need for it at 1080p.  Good luck

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415

If it were me, i'd take the motherboard, cpu, ram, and hard drive out, buy a new case, PSU, and video card.  And call it a day.

That is not *that* old of a CPU and should be perfectly fine for the games he wants to play for at least another year.

In another year i would upgrade the mobo/ram/cpu and use it with the video card and PSU/case i bought earlier.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

Originally posted by Hrimnir

If it were me, i'd take the motherboard, cpu, ram, and hard drive out, buy a new case, PSU, and video card.  And call it a day.

That is not *that* old of a CPU and should be perfectly fine for the games he wants to play for at least another year.

In another year i would upgrade the mobo/ram/cpu and use it with the video card and PSU/case i bought earlier.

This!

If you are on a Limited Budget, I would indeed start With buying a good PC case With high quality fans, good ventilation and enough Space to house current gen video Cards. Like for example the CoolerMaster cases (they are very good!)

Then buy a new 750W PSU to replace current one and the NVidia GTX970. Go for either EVGA, MSI gaming or ASUS.

That will bridge you for another year, so you can save up and think about replacing motherboard, CPU and RAM.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by irnbru69
    just upgrade to a 770 or if your on budget go for a 750, I have a 750GTX Nvidia its not even the Ti version and it runs ESO perfect with all gfx settings on high.

The 750 is as bad as the card he already have so it ain't worth the trouble.

The thing with Nvidia cards is if last number are 10-30 (I don't think I seen a 40) they are for office and mid range laptops, not for gaming.

50 are low budget for people who game a bit. 60 is the standard gaming card, 70 a beefed up version. 80, 90 and 95 are for hardcore gamers and Titan are for hardcore gamers with too much money.

A 2 generations old low budget gamer card just ain't worth the cash.

Now, OP said he had a 500 dollar budget.

I would go for this 970 card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127850 for $350

I would also put in another $140 for a Corsair 750W Gold PSU http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139137 A good PSU is a good idea, but it is optional since OPs PSU should handle the 970 anyways unless it is a garbage brand. Toms hardware recommends at least 500W for the 970 card. Cheapen out on the PSU tend to come back and bite you later, this one will last for a few desktops.

There is of course a AMD option for the card as well, but I leave that to quizz, he is far better than me on AMD cards.

Anyways, OPs computer is otherwise fine even though a SSD never hurts.